Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the hardest (but still playable) game you've ever played?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts on the SNES was crazy hard in the later levels, and you got to the end and had to do it all again :mad:

It's a total cakewalk compared to Ghouls n'Ghosts and Ghosts n'Goblins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Spec Ops: The Line on FUBAR difficulty. Not unplayable but takes some patience hiding behind walls for 5 minutes waiting for a break in shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

Would have to agree with Ninja Gaiden black..

Also, on the topic of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Been playing that 'new retro' game Volgarr the Viking which is heavily influenced by Super G & G and is pretty much just as hard! Great game though..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

JrdanB wrote: »
    Actually, one game I really liked but was pretty much impossible was "Hooligans: Storm Over Europe" which I think was a relatively obscure RTS about managing football hooligans for the PC. Might not have been that obscure, but nobody I've talked to has played it, never mind finished it! Impossibly hard, but a great concept!

That sounds like an amazing concept. A concept that would get driven to oblivion by the politically correct brigade but still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i kinda want to play Dark Souls, I didn't really like Demon's Souls though just found it annoying, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Pretty much half the games on the C64. So many hours of fun (& frustration) for about £3-5 a game (yes, that's how much games cost back then).

One I remember loving but found so hard was Wizball. Still a great concept for a game..wish someone would make a new version.

Also, Gauntlet on single player was near impossible. You needed at least 2 people, but even then it was hard.

EDIT: Somebody did a remake of Wizball!!! http://retrospec.sgn.net/game/wizball

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i kinda want to play Dark Souls, I didn't really like Demon's Souls though just found it annoying, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls take patience. The minute you decide to rush things you might as well count yourself dead. You have to play it completely differently to how any other game is played. Also you have to remember if you die it's always your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls take patience. The minute you decide to rush things you might as well count yourself dead. You have to play it completely differently to how any other game is played. Also you have to remember if you die it's always your fault.

I remember going into the flameluker boss fight in Demon's souls and got beat down before I even knew what was happening. I generally agree that when you die its your fault, but no always.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I'd say Comix Zone on the Sega megadrive. Seriously difficult. I think the best I ever did was get to level 3 before I ran out of lives. Still an enjoyable game though! Another one was mentioned earlier Hooligan: Storm over Europe. Great fun but difficult as hell!

Retr0gamer wrote: »

At the time I was a big COD player online, so being more used to insta-gratification gaming, I rarely play it anymore so want something more slow paced and deliberate now if that makes sense. Same reason I'm getting BF4 over COD Ghots, the beta is fun and the slower pace is more rewarding in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Night breed on the C64, first game I played on that system, what demented person made that game.
    http://youtu.be/zfblq1IGEj8

I found Dark Souls easier than Demon Souls, only got by 1-1 on Demon Souls but got to Sen's Fortress on Dark Souls before I lost my way.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Night breed on the C64, first game I played on that system, what demented person made that game.
    http://youtu.be/zfblq1IGEj8

I found Dark Souls easier than Demon Souls, only got by 1-1 on Demon Souls but got to Sen's Fortress on Dark Souls before I lost my way.

I haven't tried dark souls. I played through a fair amount of demon souls. Though nowadays I don't have the time nor patience for another play like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,245 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

top gun 2 for the NES.

Level 2 had you flying through a forest dodging trees. it was ridiculously hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Anyone ever played Last Action Hero on the snes? I never got past the first level! because it was ridiculously long and if you died you seemingly went back to the very start.

Also it was playable in the sense that the buttons did stuff, but it was boring as f**k!

Finally, Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't look anything like him, in fact he was just some middle aged balding guy for some bizarre reason!

That evil **** of a game is still by far the worst thing I have ever played.

ever

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone ever played Last Action Hero on the snes? I never got past the first level! because it was ridiculously long and if you died you seemingly went back to the very start.

Also it was playable in the sense that the buttons did stuff, but it was boring as f**k!

Finally, Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't look anything like him, in fact he was just some middle aged balding guy for some bizarre reason!

I thought I was the only one!! Never made it off the first level either, horrible horrible game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Turtles and Castlevania on the NES

Dark Souls is a piece of piss compared to these.

I downloaded Castlevania on the 3DS Virtual Console, its still a bitch and I cannot get past the 2nd last level boss (Grim Reaper)

Turtles on the NES christ yeah, one of the later underwater levels was absolutely maddeningly hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Turtles on the NES christ yeah, one of the later underwater levels was absolutely maddeningly hard

It's actually not as hard going back to it, I did a few years ago.

Another game that was rock hard, more to poor game design than anything, was Back to the Future 3 on the MegaDrive. It was basically one long memory test. You died, remembered how you died, then died at the next part. Rinse and repeat until you finish the level. Then go again. About 6 times.

Bart vs The Space Mutants was tough, mostly down to shonky collision detection though.

Playing Ninja Gaiden 2 at the moment. Those Rocket Launcher troops and Large mechs can **** right off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bart vs The Space Mutants was tough, mostly down to shonky collision detection though.

Those blasted platforms you have to jump onto in level 2 :mad:

California Games was both fun and maddening, some games were a laugh other ones were beyond infuriating, bloody shark...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

It was a horrible game

Does anyone remember Ikari Warriors? Never got past the first 5 mins.

Cybernator on the SNES was rock hard too

R.F. wrote: »
    It was a horrible game

Does anyone remember Ikari Warriors? Never got past the first 5 mins.

Cybernator on the SNES was rock hard too

Oh indeed, pure Simpsons mania cash in. Battletoads was bastard hard too, and Mega Man 2, pixel perfect jumping ahoy.

Mega Man 2, pixel perfect jumping ahoy.

Back in the day Megaman 2 was criticised for being too easy. It's a walk in the park compared to most NES games.

California Games was both fun and maddening, some games were a laugh other ones were beyond infuriating, bloody shark...

Personally I found the skateboarding horrible. The controls were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The hints are given to you - Pretty sure it's something to do with the old man in the next cell, think you give him food and he gives a key or something to that effect - Either way, I don't deny that whatever the solution was, it took me a while to find it as a kid, too - And, rest assured, it gets no easier when you venture outside :pac:

Ah ha, getting back to this, I gave up and watched a walk through on youtube.... looks so crap your better off staying in the bloody room!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Would have to say at the tender age of 8 when I completed pokemon blue with a leveled up blastoise and feck all other pokemon not that the game was overly difficult just made it that way myself..

Also agree with a lot on here Ninja Gaiden was hard as nails gave up half way through Ninja Gaiden 2 was tough too managed to finish that though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

For me,
    teenage mutant ninja turtles NES,

The thing that makes difficulty good, is when you die and you know it was your fault. (The Ninja Gaidens on Xbox perfect example it was hard but not unfair)

• Advertisement

D wrote: »

The thing that makes difficulty good, is when you die and you know it was your fault. (The Ninja Gaidens on Xbox perfect example it was hard but not unfair)

Super Meat Boy is a good example of that, it's really well made and has brilliant controls so it's always your own skill that gets you killed.

Advertisement