Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the hardest (but still playable) game you've ever played?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serious Sam 1 and 2 on serious difficulty. Was hard, but satisfying when you ppull it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,650 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yikes, I've cleared Comix Zone on the Mega Drive and Platinum'd Dark Souls!

Clearing Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die difficulty is probably my biggest achievement. This gen, I think Vanquish can be tough as nails, but it has a nice learning curve, also Wipeout HD. Still can't get that Zone Zeus trophy though :/

Fair play! You got da skillz :pac:

Ever try to play shmups? Here's the one I mentioned above which I'm playing absolutely loads of on my cab. (Both trying to 1 credit it and aiming for high scores)

Fast forward to 2.40 if you want a good example of some of the more difficult parts :) (still the first level by the way! :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

F-Zero X on master difficulty on the N64. I played it again recently and haven't a ****ing clue how I pulled it off. I wouldn't even come first on each track, I would kill at least 5 rivals on every race so they wouldn't accumulate more points than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Pacman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

XCOM:Enemy Unknown

sure it's easy to save scum, but ironman/anything above normal is bloody tough for me, do-able but tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hardly surprising to see so many older games listed. I think for me it'd be Jet Set Willy. It was bad enough that I didn't have the dexterity to make it past most of the obstacles, I only found out years later that the game was bugged and couldn't be finished without hacking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,242 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ghouls and ghosts was surprisingly tough IMO

I'd often throw that on again or Shinobi , both very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

OK obscure one on the way, MS Gundam: Pilots Locus on the Gamecube. Great game, probably the best Gundam game imo. Finishing the game with the "Goodies" is handy enough but the later stages of the "Baddies" campaign require god-like prowess as you are outnumbered, outgunned and facing seriously ruthless AI. I never finished it but the large arenas and multiple approaches to the missions always had me coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I would say that Gaelic Football game that was out years ago for the Playstation. But it would fall under unplayable I suppose.

Games would finish with a team winning by 2 points to no score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Neeson wrote: »

Games would finish with a team winning by 2 points to no score.
    You could score points??? You must have some serious skills. The games I played on it always finished with a hatful of goals but no points!

• Advertisement

Ibara!
    some day I'll do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

That Deep Blue chess game is tough, but still beatable

/Kasparov

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Knightmare (based on the Kid Tv show) on the Commodore 64. Literally impossible to get out of the first room at the start of the game !

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

For me Street of Rage in the final level ;
    you cant win either way,
    you lose you get killed, you win you still get killed off. :confused:
    shocking when it happen the first time it was so bizzare :mad:
    Is it just me or was it a trick level?
    it was the sega machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Multiplayer starcraft is a tough one to beat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me Street of Rage in the final level ;
    you cant win either way,
    you lose you get killed, you win you still get killed off. :confused:
    shocking when it happen the first time it was so bizzare :mad:
    Is it just me or was it a trick level?
    it was the sega machine.

Didn't happen in the first game at all. Are you talking about Streets of Rage 3 maybe? In that one you can't beat the game if you play it on easy, that might be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Said it before and I'll say it again.(and again and again and again)

Treasure Island Dizzy

Bastardin egg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wanna be the guy.

Its free. Go download it. So unforgiving. Required alot of patience. Think ninja gaiden on crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Knightmare (based on the Kid Tv show) on the Commodore 64. Literally impossible to get out of the first room at the start of the game !

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Im glad someone brought this up! How the bloody hell do you get out of the first room!!!

Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

King Arthur strategy/rpg game.

Great looking, strong alternative to Total War games with lovely bits of mythology thrown in. Until you set loose continuous respawning Armies of Samhain, fully souped up while your armies just disintegrate from never getting a chance to heal. Difficulty curve of a cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

One of the hardest games, going back years, was either Rad Gravity or Time Lord on the NES. The former was just a tough platformer, but the latter was just buggy as hell. I remember spending 30 minutes on the Mexican boss, who was flashing red for ages, and he. still.wouldn't.DIE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxTd46n8GM

Recently, Dark Souls torments me. I got a bit in, but damn, I just didn't have the time, as due to college, gaming time is limited so I went back to easier games. Some day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

One for the retro heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

the thing i've found with dark souls, is that the Stats and Upgrading mechanics aren't explained at all.

However I found once I learned these I had a much easier time progressing and picking more varied character
    classes. If you beat it once and know your way through, it becomes a lot easier to play! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Figuring the game out is part of the fun :) I'm pretty sure when you are levelling up you can toggle a description of what each stat does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair play! You got da skillz :pac:

Ever try to play shmups? Here's the one I mentioned above which I'm playing absolutely loads of on my cab. (Both trying to 1 credit it and aiming for high scores)

Fast forward to 2.40 if you want a good example of some of the more difficult parts :) (still the first level by the way! :pac:)

Thanks! :pac:

Just for the giggles I threw on the Mega Drive Collection the other day to have a pop at Comix Zone... have no idea how I cleared it, much less when I was 13! (probably to do with the fact that back in the 90s you had one game to play for about 6 months... ). I was getting consistently thrashed on the first level.

Shmups, I have no idea why I don't play more (nerves, probably). Thunderforce IV on the Mega Drive was a gem (and handy enough to complete). Gradius V was one of my fave PS2 games, still very playable today and still looks decent enough (over a component connection). Been meaning to download Ikaruga from XBLA!

Anyone done the special stages on DKCR on Wii? Farking hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dayz when it first came out had a pretty steep learning curve, especially if you weren't familiar with Arma 2. Its a bit more noob friendly now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Actually, one game I really liked but was pretty much impossible was "Hooligans: Storm Over Europe" which I think was a relatively obscure RTS about managing football hooligans for the PC. Might not have been that obscure, but nobody I've talked to has played it, never mind finished it! Impossibly hard, but a great concept!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Manic Miner scarred my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Left 4 Dead 2 on Expert Realism in Single-Player. Completing the entire game on that difficulty is pretty hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Last Ninja 2 on the C64. No saves, dubious collision detection, insanely obscure puzzles and I still loved it.

Wasn't there some glitch that made it impossible to finish unless some object spawned in a particular place? was one of those games anyway.

Super Ghouls N Ghosts on the SNES was crazy hard in the later levels, and you got to the end and had to do it all again :mad:

Advertisement