Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the hardest (but still playable) game you've ever played?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

R.F. wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Ikari Warriors? Never got past the first 5 mins.

Finished it on the Amiga once. :coolface:

+1 on Super Meat Boy, it's infuriatingly difficult, but it's balanced in that amazing tiny sweet zone where failure just makes you want to try harder next time.

I never finished Rick Dangerous. Not even with the infinite lives cheat. I'm convinced it was impossible :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cannon Fodder on Mega Drive - Got to mission 6, found out recently there is about 25 missions

Streets of Rage - Can only get to the boss's door on normal difficulty, I lose a lot of life's to the fire breathing c*nt in the boss's corridor

Sonic and All-Star Racing Transformed - Its a game where you need to drive well and also get a bit of luck too (not getting hit too many times)

Wardner for the Mega Drive was also a pretty tough game, I think the early Sonic games had the perfect difficulty level, they were tough and challenging without being too frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dark Souls hates me
    Demons Souls also wants to kick me in the nads.
    Super Luigi U is proving a challenge as well.
    I found Metroid Prime 2 on the GC to be rock hard, the toughest of the series.

Been awhile since I played it but I've loved pretty much every minute spent with Demon's Souls. There's something incredibly rewarding about returning to the point where you died and slaying your murderer. It should be frustrating and rage inducing but the mechanics and gameplay are so perfectly tuned that it never feels like a chore or that the game is punishing you for not being very good at it.

It's a game I love playing when I'm back home and want to kill an afternoon. Ill spend a few hours slogging through an area till I can do it with ease. Thinking about it now and I'm wondering why u shouldn't spend the rest if this evening playing it and really, I can't come up with an excuse not to give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Devil May Cry 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Pretty much half the games on the C64. So many hours of fun (& frustration) for about £3-5 a game (yes, that's how much games cost back then).

I was thinking just the same thing about my old Amstrad games when I read that.

KidsTheseDAys.png

Dark Souls isn't that hard in comparison. It's definitely completable, which lots of older games weren't, for the vast majority of people. I agree there weren't many cheap deaths. I did stop playing when I realised I wouldn't be able to make the strongest weapon in the game though, some time after consuming the soul of Sif. I don't know if that might have been game-breaking or not - The Four Kings might necessitate higher damage output than my character could offer from what I read, but I hadn't quite reached that point to find out. Stopped not because it was too difficult, but because I was just annoyed that I'd missed it.

That said, it was extremely hard when I tried playing as a Deprived. Even playing a thief was hard. I settled on a fighter or knight I think, which was much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

D wrote: »
    For me,
    teenage mutant ninja turtles NES,
    Oh dear god was that a hard game! There was a particular jump in some sewer or something that kicked my ass for months! Brilliant though!

You're bang on about difficulty and ninja gaiden though!

If you couldn't do it.. you just weren't 'ninja' enough! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Streets of Rage 3 on the hardest setting was pretty ridiculous - even those blue chaps with the red hair would kick your ass! Garcia I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FurQyou wrote: »
    Oh dear god was that a hard game! There was a particular jump in some sewer or something that kicked my ass for months! Brilliant though!

Is that the jump where it turned out all you had to do was walk across it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is that the jump where it turned out all you had to do was walk across it?

Ah yes TMNT on the NES, eventually passed it to later in life, using cheats that is!!!!

I remember that jump, yup in the end it was a simple walk across, fiendish by the designers I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some Turtles nostalgia here courtesy of AVGN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone remember a RTS game for Playstation called Warzone 2100?

Saves points were sometimes hours apart, was enjoyable but never really made a dent in it...I dunno maybe I was just crap at RTS as a youngster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I was thinking just the same thing about my old Amstrad games when I read that.

Dark Souls isn't that hard in comparison. It's definitely completable, which lots of older games weren't, for the vast majority of people. I agree there weren't many cheap deaths. I did stop playing when I realised I wouldn't be able to make the strongest weapon in the game though, some time after consuming the soul of Sif. I don't know if that might have been game-breaking or not - The Four Kings might necessitate higher damage output than my character could offer from what I read, but I hadn't quite reached that point to find out. Stopped not because it was too difficult, but because I was just annoyed that I'd missed it.

That said, it was extremely hard when I tried playing as a Deprived. Even playing a thief was hard. I settled on a fighter or knight I think, which was much easier.

Strongest weapon? I'm confused. The two different greatswords of Artoris are only strong if you have invested heavily in certain stats. Great thing about Dark Souls is the title strongest weapon doesn't really exist, there are fecking loads of weapons that with the right stats will do fantastic output. The four kings can be a pain, thats were I have quit lately with a LV2 Cleric (yep lv2 :pac:) trying to beat DS when any hit is a one hit kill is hard mode.

Seriously get back and finish Dark Souls especially if you never seen the DLC or the painted world ect. Its easily one of the best games I have ever played. You haven't missed out on anything by consuming Sifs soul outside of the every weapon achievement. Heck the Claymore does better Damage with less stat investment, is lighter, better move set and can be upgraded with a choice of paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

I remember that jump, yup in the end it was a simple walk across, fiendish by the designers I think!

You could walk?

YOU COULD WALK!!!

Blllaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghghhgh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Grand Prix Legends. Collossal learning curve, a bit like learning to ride a bike. Once you got the hang of it, nothing else came close.

gpl05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Always found MMO's more challenging than any single player game tbh. I've never played a SP game where i had spent more than a few hours on one level/stage.. whereas I've spent weeks/months on single bosses in world of warcraft. Would be even longer if there were no tactics etc being posted online. Guess its not really the same thing as your dependent on 9/24/39 other players but still.

Dark souls is challenging and all... doesn't really compare to the effort hard mode bosses used to and probably still require in wow (And im sure other MMO's).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would that not just be artificial difficulty due to having to grind up enough levels and relying on other players not being cack handed?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Terminator 2 on the c64, only got to the third level once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would that not just be artificial difficulty due to having to grind up enough levels and relying on other players not being cack handed?

No, not really, the best guilds in the world would take days/weeks of playing non stop to kill the same bosses. These guilds consist of typically 10/25 of the best players around. Obviously it gets easier after you've done it once or twice and gotten better gear, but thats mostly down to knowing the fight and can be applied to most games (Dark souls works the same way). Your right in that having to rely on other players adds an artificial layer of difficulty, but the whole team work and tactics side of thing are just skills that are needed to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Danonino. wrote: »
    Strongest weapon? I'm confused. The two different greatswords of Artoris are only strong if you have invested heavily in certain stats. Great thing about Dark Souls is the title strongest weapon doesn't really exist, there are fecking loads of weapons that with the right stats will do fantastic output. The four kings can be a pain, thats were I have quit lately with a LV2 Cleric (yep lv2 :pac:) trying to beat DS when any hit is a one hit kill is hard mode.

Seriously get back and finish Dark Souls especially if you never seen the DLC or the painted world ect. Its easily one of the best games I have ever played. You haven't missed out on anything by consuming Sifs soul outside of the every weapon achievement. Heck the Claymore does better Damage with less stat investment, is lighter, better move set and can be upgraded with a choice of paths.
    Cool. Think I was using a lightning zweihander when I left it. Never had a problem with damage output with it alright. I will go back to it at some point when I've time. Really did pour a huge number of hours into it already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Battletoad games on the SNES & the Gameboy were tough nuts, especially this fùckin' level that appeared on both versions:
    382583-battletoads-in-battlemaniacs-snes-screenshot-jumping-walls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Cool. Think I was using a lightning zweihander when I left it. Never had a problem with damage output with it alright. I will go back to it at some point when I've time. Really did pour a huge number of hours into it already!

Its such a fantastic game, crappy framerate, dodgey online backstabs and all :)

Zweihander is a beast, that thing flattens almost anything. I always end up back with the trusty Mace, I got so used to its moveset that anything else feels weird. Really looking forward to Dark Souls 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just remembered Dragon's Lair for the Nes. Just full of cheap deaths and had a lubriciously hard start to it:
    Dragon's_Lair_(NES).png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Hidden & Dangerous

It was one of the first games I played on PC (released 1999), but I still remember it as one of the most difficult. Perhaps it was because I was completely new to FPS/Third person shooters, or even PC gaming at all. But some parts were 'pull your hair out' frustrating.

hidden-dangerous-31.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 first doyle

Snakes Revenge for the NES

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I always found Commandos extremely tough aswell, using certain items too early in the mission would mean you couldn't finish the last bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Project IGI - The first one, gameplay was way ahead of its time, but really REALLY long missions with no saves !
    Terminator 2 on the c64, only got to the third level once.

Me too .. but i think that was due to the cassette getting eaten :p

How did we have such patience as kids .. watching the numbers on a bloody tape deck slowly go up to 98, 99, 100 ....die within ten seconds, rewind to 45 and do it all over again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fenix wrote: »
    Hidden & Dangerous

It was one of the first games I played on PC (released 1999), but I still remember it as one of the most difficult. Perhaps it was because I was completely new to FPS/Third person shooters, or even PC gaming at all. But some parts were 'pull your hair out' frustrating.

Loved that game, was bastard hard in the later parts though, lots of sitting there watching enemy paths.

I wanna get Dark Souls, is there much of a difference between the regular one and the Prepare To Die edition? is it, gulp, harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

krudler wrote: »
    I wanna get Dark Souls, is there much of a difference between the regular one and the Prepare To Die edition? is it, gulp, harder?

It doesn't add anything to game Mechanics, the Prepare to Die edition is a new area in the game with new bosses/enemies and also new items/armor/weapons etc. However, the bosses in the new area are the hardest in the game and offer the best challenges (in my opinion), pretty much a better challenge than the end game boss (Gwyn)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

R.F. wrote: »
    Turtles and Castlevania on the NES

Dark Souls is a piece of piss compared to these.

I downloaded Castlevania on the 3DS Virtual Console, its still a bitch and I cannot get past the 2nd last level boss (Grim Reaper)

That Grim reaper man.. Impossible.

Advertisement