Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Anyone know when you apply for a new licence do you have to surrender your own? And thus have no licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I've applied through NDLS and have braced myself for a wait. Do you think it's OK to sit driving lessons with just a copy of your certificates etc? Really was looking forward to cracking into driving for New Years, but at the rate things are moving who knows what year that'll be.

You cant. People who have passed their test can drive with the receipt I think. People who are waiting for their permit dont have any licence to drive yet.

ADI's dont accept receipts and are pretty sticky on you showing your actually permit at the start of the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Days 298 wrote: »
    You cant. People who have passed their test can drive with the receipt I think. People who are waiting for their permit dont have any licence to drive yet.

ADI's dont accept receipts and are pretty sticky on you showing your actually permit at the start of the lesson.

Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Anyone know when you apply for a new licence do you have to surrender your own? And thus have no licence?

Yes, you have to surrender the old licence. And yes - you'll have no licence until you get it back...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Yes, you have to surrender the old licence. And yes - you'll have no licence until you get it back...

Thats great. Was never told this when I applied on 5-11. Only found out when I rang up two days ago, now the whole thing starts again. Fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭S'

jimbooth wrote: »
    I applied for my renewal back at the start of Nov and still no licence !

I applied for mine in August & still nothing. Absolute Joke:mad:

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

I put the hammer on the NDLS the last few weeks . Emails , phone calls , everything I could do to hurry things up . Low and behold , today when I rang I was told my license was posted out to me on the 2nd of Jan and I should have it any day now ;) . It's worth staying ontop of these people

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Colash wrote: »
    I put the hammer on the NDLS the last few weeks . Emails , phone calls , everything I could do to hurry things up . Low and behold , today when I rang I was told my license was posted out to me on the 2nd of Jan and I should have it any day now ;) . It's worth staying ontop of these people

When did u apply and where?

When did u apply and where?

Applied the 25th of nov 2013 in carrick on shannon

Ps I also stated that I was awaiting my license for my insurance policy papers to be sent to me . Whether this made a difference or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Father is still waiting for his Licence - was back in November i think when he applied.

Local radio station were on about the locations today - people saying there should be an NDLS centre in North Cork - in Fermoy

Or Mallow???.

But the presenter mentioned something that NDLS were claiming that the waiting list for a driving licence will be 7 to 8 days by end of January.

Can't see it happening tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Was told 3-5 weeks today when getting my A2 and BE permit. There was a furious 66 year old who had an NCT in a few days and needed the licence and had been waiting for weeks or something. From what I gathered he was also losing all his entitlements bar AM, B,W and BE which he was furious with. I was in there for 30 minutes as they couldn't work the computers. The old man was not leaving without a permit. Apperently some people who applied on Nov 2nd are still waiting or so the main guy in there said.

They broke a simple process :mad: Ill be telling my grandkids when they turn 17 years down the line how I was able to get my learner permit in 5 minutes in 2012. They probably wont believe. Over complicated bureaucracy for the sake of it. I needed to bring proof of PPSN like really? Nothing can beat how the cost of a 2 year learners permit now costs nearly 50% more than a 10 year full licence this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Mine arrived today. Six weeks. Far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

8 weeks and still no sign of it.

should I give them a ring?

Aestivalis wrote: »
    8 weeks and still no sign of it.

should I give them a ring?

Ring them . Email them , then ring them again . I told them I was awaiting car insurance documents and not having my license back was causing a hold up . This seemed to hurried my application along .

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

S' wrote: »
    I applied for mine in August & still nothing. Absolute Joke:mad:

Not that I don't believe you.. Buuut.....
    I don't believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has anyone been to the centre in trim? If so were you waiting long?

Hoping to go this Saturday and be there at 9. Just hope I'm not waiting too long.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Not that I don't believe you.. Buuut.....
    I don't believe you

Might be be possible the paperwork's been lost?

Colash wrote: »
    I have just set up automatic email to be sent every 24h until I get my licence :D

I have just set up automatic email to be sent every 24h until I get my licence :D

If you mention that your insurance policy depends on a copy of your new license, it should speed things up big time . An insurance broker tipped me off on that . Even better if u can give a policy number

License arrived today . Applied on the 25th of November. Around 4 weeks if the Christmas period is taken into account .

• Advertisement

Applied on 28th November,licence issue date 7th Jan.Arrived today.4-5 weeks backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 collie74

Applied 2nd December, have sent several emails, only reply I got was to my very first one which asked me to forward my DOB, PPS Number and drivers number despite me including there own reference number which doesn't seem to mean much when tracing applications. Phoned the first week of January and was told in process and will be with me the following week. Still nothing and still no response to yet another email. This is holding up obtaining employment, when I mentioned this on the phone was told what my driving licence number was and the categories I'm licence to drive, all of which I know but employers want proof, physically having maybe a plastic legal drivers licence card in my hand would be the best proof but alas I wait .... Getting seriously frustrated now, what can I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

Waiting over 2 months for my learner permit but got it this week went to do my lesson and they instructor said sorry cant take you as leaner permit isn't valid permit but they didn't make it valid for 2 weeks ahead and it is valid for 2 years and 17 days so have to sent it back to them to see what I should do

When I went down to NDLS centre at 12.25 pm they said that they were closing as it was busy!! and that they had to get home by 2pm for dinner!!
    They close at 2 pm on a Saturday there was only a few people waiting The man there wanted for people to make an appointment and to make back later but no-one wanted to do that and a lady who came from a good journey away said that she had been here on 2 previous occasions and wasn't coming back a forth time
    I asked the man and he said with a grin that he'd have to send it back to Cork and I would wait probably 3-4 weeks for it to come back So I will be waiting 3 months for a learner permit!!

I also emailed them on many occasions and they never got back to me once nor never even gave me a proper letter of accreditation

The NDLS is a disgrace quite frankly and everything they blame is on IT failure
    Well who designed the IT system and decided to roll out the NDLS??
    It wasn't me
    I wish that they could just set up proper agencies in this country for once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

I was diagnosed with MS and they demanded I change my licence from paper to plastic which I did at the start of December still waiting, my jeep is booked in for a doe on Thursday and I must bring my licence with me under the new rules, it will be interesting to see what they say in the test center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

irishrver wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with MS and they demanded I change my licence from paper to plastic [...]

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thankfully I renewed my licence last year before this NDLS crowd came together,The RSA like the HSE has become a monster loff an organisation with no proper mgmt structure in place.
    There was no need to out source this to a private company it should have remained with the local motor tax offices,After all these people have been doing the job for years with no problems.
    In all my years dealing with the motor tax office on a a personal & work basis I never had a problem with them,I am dreading having to deal with these mickey mouse organisations in the future.
    Also I noticed that the price of the driver entitlement cert has gone from €6 (old motor tax office) to €16 off the NDLS how can that price be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Yeah I could not understand it either, it is because I am on a long term illness drug payment thing my driving licence and prsi number must all be linked together there is no restrictions being put on my licence I can still drive trucks cars and motorbikes I think it is the start of big brother and the first stage of an identity card system as there was 8 years left on my licence

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

10 weeks waiting today. Absolute disgrace. The service is desporate, the staff are cheeky and unprofessional. For instance, I arrived at my local centre one day at 4.19pm and it was closed. I knocked and waited for 2 mins and was answered with: 'should have arrived in proper time'. If that's the case, why don't they advertise to close at 5pm? That for a start is a breach of the Consumer Information Act. And secondly, there isn't an actual phone number, instead you have to ring some call centre and wait for 8 mins on average to get an answer. He then went on with some bulls**t about 'oh I'll face a 25000 fine if we don't have these forms finished by the end of today'. Hello - I'm not a 10 year old child? What really raged me was that I was talking to him for 10 minutes and instead of having dealt with me directly - he wasted 10 mins of my time and his time!

I contacted the Minister's office to make a complaint about the service and I was advised to e-mail him (Leo Varadkar). So perhaps everyone should send him a nice e-mail outlining the great experiences which we all have had with the NDLS.

Another of the governments plans for jobs - just like BER assessors, driving instructors and other very useful services.

• Advertisement

d1234 wrote: »
    Another of the governments plans for jobs - just like BER assessors, driving instructors and other very useful services.

Sorry, but Driving Instructors ARE a useful service. How can you say that teaching a life skill -i.e handling at least a ton of steel which has the capacity to kill or maim safely is NOT useful??

It beggars belief some of the attitudes to learning to drive I've seen on here. If you're moaning about the cost, then you can't afford to drive. Driving is a privilege and NOT a right as some people seem to think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement