Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

You ain't getting that €120 for free, because you're flat out wrong. Pay very close attention to the wording.

tbFJJIE.jpg

CSmUZnc.jpg

See that?

It's probably printed on every learner permit - doesn't mean it applies to every permit. It's not incorrect being on the license, it's your misinterpretation that's causing a problem.

Now that that's settled. :p

Id agree with that.

But I would just like to steal 120 of your man if I got the ndls to take it off the licence ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Hi,

Quick question for anyone who has renewed their licence recently.

There is a form you can download on the NDLS site for renewal of driving licence (D401). Im just wondering can i print this off myself at home in black & white or does it need to be printed in colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Black and white is perfectly fine. The NDLS staff will print out a barcode to stick on the front as soon as you present at one of their offices.
    Decos wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question for anyone who has renewed their licence recently.

There is a form you can download on the NDLS site for renewal of driving licence (D401). Im just wondering can i print this off myself at home in black & white or does it need to be printed in colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Arrived at the NDLS centre in Citywest at 10am this morning and got an appointment for 11:45.Was called at 11:50 and was out by 12:05.Very surprised at the efficiency of the service after hearing horror stories from friends etc,and after being unable to book an appointment time that suited me online.

Lad said I should have my permit within a week.

• Advertisement

Arrived at the NDLS centre in Citywest at 10am this morning and got an appointment for 11:45.Was called at 11:50 and was out by 12:05.Very surprised at the efficiency of the service after hearing horror stories from friends etc,and after being unable to book an appointment time that suited me online.

Lad said I should have my permit within a week.
    I was similar. Passed bike test last Tuesday, went to NDLS centre in Santry at around 13:00, was told there was no places left, and I'd have to come in early next day. Told the women I would be able due to work, and she was very nice and gave me an appointment for Saturday morning. Was in and out with 25 mins on Saturday morning.

Much better than 6 months ago when I went in for my permit, was waiting a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Went to carlow center last Monday at ten I was out in ten minutes. Licence came today so very good service

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Went to Galway a few weeks ago, got there at 9:30, 2.5 hours of a wait, huge mistake not making a booking.

No reception or any instructions to wait or take a number, just 20 chairs with 4 cubicles with curtains closed(only 3 in use). ****ing brilliant setup and whoever the genius was that came up with this setup deserves a big fat pension and great salary.

A few older people just came in and sat down and assumed somehow they would be called.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Went to Galway a few weeks ago, got there at 9:30, 2.5 hours of a wait, huge mistake not making a booking.

No reception or any instructions to wait or take a number, just 20 chairs with 4 cubicles with curtains closed(only 3 in use). ****ing brilliant setup and whoever the genius was that came up with this setup deserves a big fat pension and great salary.

A few older people just came in and sat down and assumed somehow they would be called.

You've to walk right through a restaurant to get to the one in Tralee :rolleyes: - great planning :rolleyes:

No signs to say you've to go right through the restaurant either - afterall its not something one would automatically think off - I know - lets take a walk through the restaurant - it may be at the other side :eek:

Maybe they've put in signage since - I don't know :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Application for licence went in on saturday the 26th july in citywest,

still waiting and all document correct.

whats the waiting times ? Did all the learners try squeeze in causing a delay ?

sent the letter for my CPC card same day and waiting on that also, anyone know ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I was in the new office in Clarehall on Saturday and they were having a bad time. Apparently technical issues where they couldn't process any applications, only take payments and details for the applications. It'll be interesting to see when the learner permit (not mine) that was applied for will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Dord wrote: »
    I was in the new office in Clarehall on Saturday and they were having a bad time. Apparently technical issues where they couldn't process any applications, only take payments and details for the applications. It'll be interesting to see when the learner permit (not mine) that was applied for will be issued.

Hadn't heard about this new one. Where is it in clarehall?

Nate

Hadn't heard about this new one. Where is it in clarehall?

Nate

On the 3rd floor, above Tesco. You have to take the lift on the side of the building furthest from the petrol station. The office only opened Monday last week.

Unfirtunately, those problems were nationwide. Expect delays with any licences processed from 1st August. New N plate updates sent the licensing system into meltdown. A backlog has built up as a result.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Unfirtunately, those problems were nationwide. Expect delays with any licences processed from 1st August. New N plate updates sent the licensing system into meltdown. A backlog has built up as a result.

Makes sense. I'd say it'll come in the post by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

Can't seem to find this anywhere, but can I use the middle name excuse to get my paper one exchanged for a card one for free? It seems like I can, since my passport has the middle name on it but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

theintern wrote: »
    Can't seem to find this anywhere, but can I use the middle name excuse to get my paper one exchanged for a card one for free? It seems like I can, since my passport has the middle name on it but I'm not sure.

In case anyone is wondering, this is fine. Just did it there in Galway, arrived 8.40 with no appointment on a Saturday and was done by 9.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I received my new driving licence today and the quality of the photo is appalling. There is no contrast at all between the background and skintone. The photo looked fine when i took it in the NDLS center last week. As i have grey hair and a beard that is mostly grey all you can see is the bit of my beard that isnt grey. The picture could be anybody at all. To make it worse the photo itself is tiny. Anybody else have a problem with the quality of the photos on the new licences?

Just to clarify I am not referring to the quality of the person in the photo of course, as that is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

My picture is bad but I would be more concerned at the booking system and computer malfunction costing me a total of 220 miles and a month before I obtained it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

DanWall wrote: »
    My picture is bad but I would be more concerned at the booking system and computer malfunction costing me a total of 220 miles and a month before I obtained it.

no problems on that score thankfully. had it done wednesday morning and it arrived in the post today

• Advertisement

So, letter arrived in the post today asking for all identification & proof of address documents again. Looks like the eejits lost it all. I think we'll have to get an appt at Clarehall again where we'll lose it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I need to replace a lost licence soon but I've to wait two weeks for an appointment, it says on the site that applicant can walk in on the day but not guaranteed an appointment. Has anyone had experience of walking in on the day with forms and being able to see someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

nails1 wrote: »
    I need to replace a lost licence soon but I've to wait two weeks for an appointment, it says on the site that applicant can walk in on the day but not guaranteed an appointment. Has anyone had experience of walking in on the day with forms and being able to see someone?

I went into Cork city office a few weeks ago, on a Saturday morning at 8:30 and was about 8th in the queue, when you walk in you are given a time then you just sit and wait, I was seen at around 10, people coming in sound 9:30 were been given slots around 1 so they basically had to come back!
    Some posh mother and daughter came in and were giving out to the poor guy on the front desk, saying how am I supposed to book an appointment if you close at 2 on a Saturday, and the system was ridiculous, he even pointed to the full waiting room and said these people have been queuing since 8am, posh mummy turned to posh daughter and said "I don't think you will be driving at all this year":D

No point losing it in Clarehall. It's the crowd who print the licences who lost your forms, not them. Two completely different companies. Their scanners eat the forms and its the frontline staff who get the abuse.
    So, letter arrived in the post today asking for all identification & proof of address documents again. Looks like the eejits lost it all. I think we'll have to get an appt at Clarehall again where we'll lose it! :mad:

Vologda69 wrote: »
    No point losing it in Clarehall. It's the crowd who print the licences who lost your forms, not them. Two completely different companies. Their scanners eat the forms and its the frontline staff who get the abuse.

She spoke to ndls HQ. The issue was with Clarehall and how they scanned the documents. Why two different companies? Who's running the centers?

By the sounds of it, you work there or are involved in some way with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

She spoke to ndls HQ. The issue was with Clarehall and how they scanned the documents. Why two different companies? Who's running the centers?

Doubt that it was Clarehall's fault, all the centres do is verify your documents are authentic and then they're sent to the processing centre. What's more likely is that your documents were lost down there, and the call centre is asscovering and blaming the poor front line staff member on their cock up rather than admitting fault themselves.

Yes I have a family member who works there. And you were speaking to an outsourced helpline ie Abtran. The centres don't scan anything, they photocopy them in hard copy. The only place documents can get lost is at the processing centre and the same company operates that helpline. So easy for them to pass the buck. And it is the same place which is delaying applications for trivial reasons. But granted mistakes do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Have to go there on Friday and not sure of area I know the Omni and centre entrance just don't want to be late having to try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Go in the centre entrance, straight in front of you is the 3 and sky stalls, go passed them and go left, go towards the lift infront of you on the right hand side, NDLS is up 1 floor above the lift on a balcony kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tripp wrote: »
    Go in the centre entrance, straight in front of you is the 3 and sky stalls, go passed them and go left, go towards the lift infront of you on the right hand side, NDLS is up 1 floor above the lift on a balcon kind of thing.

Deadly I need to replace my "LOST" drivers licence, it disappered ages ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement