Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

leahyl wrote: »
    Just a quick question - to those who do cooking club recipes - do you just use recipes from books or are they your own recipes? Like, if I were to sign up to do one it wouldn't haven't to be a made up recipe by myself would it?!

I'd imagine it's a mix of both, and you definitely don't have to have invented a recipe yourself. It could be one you've gotten from a book or the internet and love making, and you may or may not have tweaked it in some way to put your own stamp on it.
    If it's originally someone else's recipe it's nice to give credit in your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd imagine it's a mix of both, and you definitely don't have to have invented a recipe yourself. It could be one you've gotten from a book or the internet and love making, and you may or may not have tweaked it in some way to put your own stamp on it.
    If it's originally someone else's recipe it's nice to give credit in your post :)

Thanks a mil Dizzyblonde! I might just put my name down for next year so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My little sister would probably eat an entire raw turnip if she came across one peeled & diced. I'm not a big fan of it raw or cooked, even roasted in a fancy way, all just tastes of being 4 and getting a mouthful of mashed disappointment!

I don't like it cooked on its own. But in root veg mash, it adds a lil somethin' somethin'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just ate a cupcake that was the biggest waste of calories ever. Really heavy, dense cake that had no taste of lemon. It's even more annoying because I only bought it because they were out of lemon meringue pies.

It's probably just a familiarity bias or something, but I've never bought a cupcake that tastes better than ones I make myself, even from speciality cupcake bakeries. They're just never that nice. I can see why most people think they're completely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

When it comes to the cooking club can you pick what you want to put up yourself or is it suggested to you?

Also how do you sign up?

• Advertisement

When it comes to the cooking club can you pick what you want to put up yourself or is it suggested to you?

Also how do you sign up?

You pick your own recipe. It can be anything at all. Sweet or savoury, starter, main, side, salad, haute cuisine, simple and comforting, ethnic, traditional...

We'll open sign ups for 2015 in early to mid December. Keep an eye on the cooking club forum and you'll see the thread when it goes up. You just sign up on thread then (everything else will be explained on the thread also, like requesting a particular date etc).

My first Christmas cake is just gone into the oven! OMG I had a taste of the cake mixture and it's sooo good! Eeek excited! Roll on 4 and half hours time :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    I just ate a cupcake that was the biggest waste of calories ever. Really heavy, dense cake that had no taste of lemon. It's even more annoying because I only bought it because they were out of lemon meringue pies.

It's probably just a familiarity bias or something, but I've never bought a cupcake that tastes better than ones I make myself, even from speciality cupcake bakeries. They're just never that nice. I can see why most people think they're completely overrated.

I'm usually disappointed by commercial cupcakes too. It's usually more about how they look than how they taste. Tons of flavourless buttercream and a heavy cake are just no good, no matter how cute they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The best cupcakes I've had were from here although I've just seen some more recent reviews that aren't great. They were good on the day I had them. They were light and moist and the frosting wasn't overly sweet or gritty. They even had sugar free cupcakes that didn't taste like crap. I don't think I've been happy with any other cupcakes I've had. The problem with cupcakes is that everyone can make them but not everyone can make them well. More often than not they're not fresh or they're dry or the icing hasn't been beaten for long enough so it's heavy. I've even bought cupcakes that were burnt on top and I only realised when I started to eat them because they'd hidden the burnt top with extra icing. I've never had one in Ireland that has been worth buying so I just don't buy them any more. There are much nicer cakes out there anyway.

The best cupcakes I've had were from here although I've just seen some more recent reviews that aren't great. They were good on the day I had them. They were light and moist and the frosting wasn't overly sweet or gritty. They even had sugar free cupcakes that didn't taste like crap. I don't think I've been happy with any other cupcakes I've had. The problem with cupcakes is that everyone can make them but not everyone can make them well. More often than not they're not fresh or they're dry or the icing hasn't been beaten for long enough so it's heavy. I've even bought cupcakes that were burnt on top and I only realised when I started to eat them because they'd hidden the burnt top with extra icing. I've never had one in Ireland that has been worth buying so I just don't buy them any more. There are much nicer cakes out there anyway.

You haven't tasted mine.... :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

leahyl wrote: »
    You haven't tasted mine.... :-D
    Remember that when you sign up for the Cooking Club. ;)

Touché tHB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just had a plate of tomatoes, sprinkled with salt and oregano, and drizzled with balsamic

I drank the leftover balsamic off the plate.

Delish.

There's the most amazing market here that makes the English Market look like a stall. It's maybe 3 to 4 times the size of the English Market, and although I haven't explored it fully yet, I'd wager you could get almost any ingredient in the world in there. I was wandering around yesterday in complete awe. It is heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

proper Irish spuds? :pac:

I was so distracted by gourds and weird looking squashes that I forgot to look ;)

proper Irish spuds? :pac:
    PMSL!!! :D

(Sorry, F. :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I love turnips, I miss them so much. Over here they sell what are called "navets" which, according to the dictionary translates as turnips but they ARE NOT turnips. I think some of the confusion arises from the fact that all these different types of root veg are all the one species.

Also, they don't eat parsnips in the south of france.

Thought I'd share my Christmas cake making process with you all :)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've used this recipe a couple of times and it turns all root vegetables delicious.....

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/roast-vegetable-megamix/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Only the frst photo loaded for me at first leahyl so I'm going to imagine you ate the fruit and drank the hennessy :D

Christmas cake is never eaten in this house. We get through a lot of puddings though!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

My and my sis were in Spittalfields in london a few weeks back. We got a snickers cupcake of some sort from a stall. Oh holy christ it was incredible.

It was from these people. http://www.flavourtownbakery.co.uk/cupcakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I think I might chance making a Christmas pudding, it's my second favourite part of Christmas dinner. Is it too late now or is there still time for it to mature nicely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Right at this moment I'm boiling my second batch of sweet chestnuts for jam. It's bloody hard work but I only do it once a year and it is my favourite jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think I might chance making a Christmas pudding, it's my second favourite part of Christmas dinner. Is it too late now or is there still time for it to mature nicely?

Definitely not too late - I don't eat pudding but I make some every year. I never get around to doing it before December but people are always complimenting them so I can only assume they taste ok

Not quite cooking - but food related...
    There was a young girl on my flight this morning who had such a severe nut allergy that they announced that no products containing nuts would be sold & also all passengers who brought their own food on board to ensure that it contained no nuts before opening. They even asked that Snickers bars weren't eaten. Poor lass!
    I swapped seats with her Dad so he could sit with her & her Mum, which in hindsight was a good idea considering that I spent last night eating peanuts from the shell watching TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Not quite cooking - but food related...
    There was a young girl on my flight this morning who had such a severe nut allergy that they announced that no products containing nuts would be sold & also all passengers who brought their own food on board to ensure that it contained no nuts before opening. They even asked that Snickers bars weren't eaten. Poor lass!
    I swapped seats with her Dad so he could sit with her & her Mum, which in hindsight was a good idea considering that I spent last night eating peanuts from the shell watching TV.

We were on a flight where a similar announcement was made and 2 people complained! They kicked up a huge fuss!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would a rack of lamb with eight chops ao to speak (the bones at the top) be too much for two people? Should I halve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Stheno wrote: »
    Would a rack of lamb with eight chops ao to speak (the bones at the top) be too much for two people? Should I halve it?

Wouldn't be much of a rack with only 4 chops on it as they are usually quite small anyway.Might be best to leave it as is. Better lookin at it than lookin for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Triboro wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much of a rack with only 4 chops on it as they are usually quite small anyway.Might be best to leave it as is. Better lookin at it than lookin for it!!

Into the oven it shall go so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement