Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Faith wrote: »
    When I eventually mashed them, after waiting as long as I could, they were seriously lumpy

Hi Faith,

Did you mash before adding milk/butter...that's what I do anyway and only add butter bit by bit and only the smallest bit of milk.

Maybe mash are only possible in Ireland :p

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Pity, this always works for me but i'd be using records/roosters.From what i remember the yukons were indeed a very firm/waxy spud so maybe longer boiling time needed before covering with t-towel. I remember using the same method while living in America and using the idahos with no bother.Trial and error will eventually pay off though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

Did you mash before adding milk/butter...that's what I do anyway and only add butter bit by bit and only the smallest bit of milk.

Maybe mash are only possible in Ireland :p

Loire

I mashed first.
    Triboro wrote: »
    Pity, this always works for me but i'd be using records/roosters.From what i remember the yukons were indeed a very firm/waxy spud so maybe longer boiling time needed before covering with t-towel. I remember using the same method while living in America and using the idahos with no bother.Trial and error will eventually pay off though!

Yukons are hailed as an 'all-rounder' over here, and they have a great flavour. Idaho russets are more floury, but still not as floury as what we're used to in Ireland, IMO.

I mashed first.

Hmmm....the curious case of the lumpy spud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't know where to post this so figured here'd be OK.

Has anyone noticed tinned tuna is gone very expensive?
    I bought a 3pack of those small tins..Tesco brand..and it was €3.
    I remember getting the same pack for about €2 a while back.
    Or is it just me who thinks this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yukons are hailed as an 'all-rounder' over here, and they have a great flavour. Idaho russets are more floury, but still not as floury as what we're used to in Ireland, IMO.
    You are bringing them up to the boil in cold water and timing the 20 mins from
    when they come to the boil, I assume?

Otherwise I'm stumped, unless you're living at 2000m above sea level or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

New knives, new knives, I got new knives. No more using other people's weird serrated bendy jobs for me! Popped into Arnott's to buy a cleaver I'd been looking at when away but dismissed as 'not a good thing to have in my hand luggage going through an airport'. Cleaver was €82 and they had a block set, including the same cleaver, on sale for €99 ('reduced' from €270 but I'm skeptical they were every anything remotely near that price) so now I am set for all manner of chopping and no longer need to avoid buying butternut squash.

Watch this space for reports of me forgetting I'm using an actually sharp knife and removing the tip of one of my fingers...

Got a meat cleaver for my birthday recently. It's the best way to cut meat ever! :D

Alun wrote: »
    You are bringing them up to the boil in cold water and timing the 20 mins from
    when they come to the boil, I assume?

Otherwise I'm stumped, unless you're living at 2000m above sea level or something :)

Yep, even gave them 25 minutes! :D

It's definitely the curious case of the lumpy mash!

I'll report back whenever I try again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

have you asked on Boards.ca?

the Canucks might know more aboot Canadian spuds.

Am I the only person here astounded that an Irish person can't make mashed potatoes? :eek:

Sorry Faith, it should be in your blood! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be fair, unless you've tried it yourself with those damned foreign spuds I'd hold off on casting those stones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

So, I followed this advice:

And while I'd love to say it went brilliantly, it didn't work out :(. Drained the potatoes when they were firm-ish, but you could stick a fork in them. Left to steam under a towel for 15 minutes... Still firm. Gave them another 15 minutes, and nothing. The steaming seemed to do nothing for them. When I eventually mashed them, after waiting as long as I could, they were seriously lumpy :(. The flavours were great, and because it went back in the oven for 45 minutes, it was perfectly edible, but the method didn't work for me.

I used Yukon Gold potatoes, which are a bit waxier, so maybe that's why. I think they probably just needed to be boiled until done. But I've had NO luck with potatoes here so far, so there's a lot of trial and error left in figuring them out.

I have a restaurant recipe somewhere for garlic mashed Yukon Golds actually if you want it. Think they add turnip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have a restaurant recipe somewhere for garlic mashed Yukon Golds actually if you want it. Think they add turnip.

No, no, no, no!!!

You never add turnips to mashed potatoes! Ever!

I have bad childhood memories of my mother trying to "hide" turnips in the mashed potatoes. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It must be very frustrating trying to cook things you've been cooking for years but they turn out very different because of the difference in produce.
    Stick with it Faith, you'll find a decent mashable potato yet :)

According to this the Russet Burbank (and others with Russet in their name) is starchy and ideal for mashing http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/six_delicious_potato_varieties_and_how_to_cook_with_them.php

Am I the only person here astounded that an Irish person can't make mashed potatoes? :eek:

Sorry Faith, it should be in your blood! ;)

I make the best mashed potatoes around -- in Ireland. It's not like this is the first time in my entire life I've attempted mash. Read back and you'll see that I'm having trouble because A) I'm using different varieties of potatoes that I've never used or even eaten before, and B) I'm using an entirely different technique than I'm used to (boiling versus steaming). No need to be "astounded" that in a new kitchen in a new country with new utensils, new ingredients and new methods that I needed to ask advice on a previously straightforward dish ;).
    have you asked on Boards.ca?

the Canucks might know more aboot Canadian spuds.

boards.ca doesn't exist :pac:. I think the other boards were dropped a few years ago?

I have to agree with Bazmo about turnip in mash - no!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What'd be the main thing that affects potato type/quality? Climate, soil type?

No need to be "astounded" that in a new kitchen in a new country with new utensils, new ingredients and new methods that I needed to ask advice on a previously straightforward dish ;).

Sorry for any offence caused but maybe an Irish forum isn't the best place to ask advice for what is, essentially, a Canadian problem. Talk to the locals, maybe the greengrocer can help. Have you tried other fora like http://chowhound.chow.com/boards for example?

Until you hopefully find a job and your financial woes subside, maybe you should ditch the old spud and move onto rice or pasta to fill you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

boards.ca doesn't exist :pac:.

please tell me you typed it in! :eek:

I was roundaboutly asking if you'd asked any actual Canadians, shirley those guys cook and mash potatoes to a satisfactory level somehow.

Also, Turnip? I have the same memories of the mother hiding them in spuds, as if you wouldn't notice the orange/yellow hue ffs.

"you can't even taste it" :rolleyes:

Strangely, her mash was always turnip-free.

Think I need to visit PI now. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Another turnip hater here.

I put a pack of pancheta into lasagne yesterday. I got the giggles everytime I could taste a bit. Used 2 cans of chopped tomatoes aswell, so it's very juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Perfect Mashed Yukon Gold by Canadian Living

Actually, that video doesn't help much does it as to the perfect end product...?

But if I were you Faith I'd embrace Yukon Gold and cook them the way they'd stand out the most. If you can't get a perfect mash out of it you might want to cook it some other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith, a couple of things :

If the spuds are that firm, then they won't break up while boiling. You could probably boil until tender without fear of mush.

Another trick along the lines of steaming under the teatowel us to mostly drain the spuds, cover with towel and lid and continue to cook on low heat until tender.

Also, you should pick up a leaf steamer for a couple of bucks.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No, no, no, no!!!

You never add turnips to mashed potatoes! Ever!

I have bad childhood memories of my mother trying to "hide" turnips in the mashed potatoes. :(

LOL - that's so true! My mother used to try and get us to pinch our nose so we wouldn't taste it!!

I was only thinking about this myself last night as I'm trying to be healthy and introduce alternatives for the spud. Last night I simply roasted diced turnip for 20 mins and it was lovely. I agree though, boiled, mashed turnip is pure yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Faith, a couple of things :

If the spuds are that firm, then they won't break up while boiling. You could probably boil until tender without fear of mush.

Another trick along the lines of steaming under the teatowel us to mostly drain the spuds, cover with towel and lid and continue to cook on low heat until tender.

Also, you should pick up a leaf steamer for a couple of bucks.

I was going to say this too. Sounds like the texture means that they can be boiled without disintegrating or going to mush. So I'd give them longer and I'd also cut them into small cubes so they'll boil that little bit quicker.

Found this for you by the way, the lady says Yukon Golds are the men for the job!!

http://video.canadianliving.com/622687427001/Prepare_perfect_mashed_potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love turnip. My mother-in-law cooks it perfectly and I get brownie points for eating it while everyone else moans. I don't think I'd like it in mashed potato though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Are you guys saying my mam didn't invent mash a lá turnip? I really thought we were the only ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Merkin wrote: »

Found this for you by the way, the lady says Yukon Golds are the men for the job!!

http://video.canadianliving.com/622687427001/Prepare_perfect_mashed_potatoes

That's the same link I posted above

Are you guys saying my mam didn't invent mash a lá turnip? I really thought we were the only ones!!

It does make you wonder why Irish Mammies, in their infinite wisdom, spent so much time and energy trying to get their children to eat stuff that they didn't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It does make you wonder why Irish Mammies, in their infinite wisdom, spent so much time and energy trying to get their children to eat stuff that they didn't like.

Definitely.

I actually like turnip but not mashed into potatoes. I never tried to make my kids eat it and now they're grown up they like it - along with the dreaded Brussels sprouts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I love turnip.

Hate it cooked but love raw turnip.

Anyone else like raw turnip? ANYONE? :)

• Advertisement

Definitely.

I actually like turnip but not mashed into potatoes. I never tried to make my kids eat it and now they're grown up they like it - along with the dreaded Brussels sprouts :)

How something is cooked makes a huge difference too. Boiling the bejaysis out of vegetables doesn't make them taste great!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement