Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've so many portions of food frozen that I don't need to cook any meals for about a month, but decided tonight that I was sick of pasta/mince etc so decided to get a steak instead, dying to start cooking now. I really miss it. :o

Going to Asador on Friday for dinner, can't wait. Trying to decide what to have, but can't make my mind up FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

It's my hen party this weekend! I usually hate hen parties but this one will be great. We're going to a steakhouse for lots of meat and red wine. Followed by more wine in a hotel until the wine runs out. MMM wine!

Already dreaming about that steak... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gonna invest in either and electric pressure cooker or a slow cooker, was wondering What you guys think is better?

Pressure cooker seems to be the better option I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Happy hen weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Gonna invest in either and electric pressure cooker or a slow cooker, was wondering What you guys think is better?

Didn't know there was such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It's my hen party this weekend! I usually hate hen parties but this one will be great. We're going to a steakhouse for lots of meat and red wine. Followed by more wine in a hotel until the wine runs out. MMM wine!

Enjoy, & best wishes for the future! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have a great weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

All,

Picked up 3 copper pots in Aldi yest - 10 inch 19.99, 18 & 20 inch 34.99. They're made by Crofton - I have regular Crofton pots already and they are fantastic. These copper ones are to die for! They're gone straight up to the attic until I get my new kitchen where I will hang them for all to see - sad I know, but it's gonna MY my kitchen!!!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-13-november/products-detail-page/ps/p/tri-ply-copper-milk-pan-saucepan-and-frying-pan/

Note - had to go to 2 Aldi supermarkets yest even to get the 3 pots as they were nearly all sold out...

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Loire wrote: »
    All,

Picked up 3 copper pots in Aldi yest - 10 inch 19.99, 18 & 20 inch 34.99. They're made by Crofton - I have regular Crofton pots already and they are fantastic. These copper ones are to die for! They're gone straight up to the attic until I get my new kitchen where I will hang them for all to see - sad I know, but it's gonna MY my kitchen!!!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-13-november/products-detail-page/ps/p/tri-ply-copper-milk-pan-saucepan-and-frying-pan/

Note - had to go to 2 Aldi supermarkets yest even to get the 3 pots as they were nearly all sold out...

Loire.

Thanks for this Loire, was thinking of buying some of these pots myself for when I have my own kitchen in the, what looks to be, very distant future :(. They are sturdy then - that's good - better get moving and buy them before they are all sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do they have lids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do they have lids?
    Yes, glass lids with built-in strainers.

Do they have lids?

The larger ones have lids (18 & 20 inch). The smaller one I got (10 inch) didn't have a lid. The lids are actually great...they have a rim that goes about in inch into the pot with holes on them for straining.

Overall the pots look to be a very good construction and given that I do all the cooking in our place Mrs Loire let me get them ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oranage2 wrote: »

Never used a pressure cooker (too many bad memories of soggy veg from my childhood, but my slow cooker is used at least twice a week

Have a fantastic time :)
    All,

Loire.
    /counts pennies :D

I was in Cork today, and had a great time browsing in the English Market. Picked up 2kg of boned shin beef for €12 which I thought was a great price, will be the first time I'll have cooked this, really looking forward to it.

Had a great bit of banter with a few of the traders as well.

Would love to see an equivalent in Dublin, anytime I'm in Cork, a trip to the EM is a must for me :)

Stheno wrote: »
    /counts pennies :D

I was in Cork today, and had a great time browsing in the English Market. Picked up 2kg of boned shin beef for €12 which I thought was a great price, will be the first time I'll have cooked this, really looking forward to it.

Had a great bit of banter with a few of the traders as well.

Would love to see an equivalent in Dublin, anytime I'm in Cork, a trip to the EM is a must for me :)

You were robbed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lidl currently have chefs knives, boning knives and carving knives in. €3.99 each.

On a whim I decided it was worth trying the chefs knife, it's actally decent! Metal handle, nicely balanced and quite sharp. No idea how it'll fare in the long run but for €4 who cares!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You were robbed :pac:

Really? What would you expect to pay for it? My butcher up here charges the same for shin beef on the bone?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Dublin City Council have plans to renovate a section of the old Corporation fruit and vegetable market (up near the Four Courts) into a modern retail food market, similar to the English Market in Cork.

Visited it a couple of weeks ago as part of Open House Dublin, it's a beautiful building in a fairly neglected part of the city that has enormous potential.

And a developer has announced similar plans for the Iveagh Market on Francis Street:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buildings-at-risk-former-liberties-hub-set-for-new-lease-of-life-1.1946563

Really? What would you expect to pay for it? My butcher up here charges the same for shin beef on the bone?

Just joking! The butcher I buy from in the English Market though charges 4.95 a kg though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dublin City Council have plans to renovate a section of the old Corporation fruit and vegetable market (up near the Four Courts) into a modern retail food market, similar to the English Market in Cork.

Visited it a couple of weeks ago as part of Open House Dublin, it's a beautiful building in a fairly neglected part of the city that has enormous potential.

Yeah, totally agree. It's in a pretty good location just a short walk from Henry Street and is an area ripe for development!

Just joking! The butcher I buy from in the English Market though charges 4.95 a kg though :)

Do tell which butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yeah, totally agree. It's in a pretty good location just a short walk from Henry Street and is an area ripe for development!

I'm sure that's been announced half a dozen times over the last decade -
    Hard to get a decent food market going - English market isn't always all roses either for all trader - (one of the larger established stalls recently closed in the market and opened up on princes street -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just thought I'd give a mention to a great little Shopping List app I've been using for the last few weeks.

We used to use paper lists but either I'd forget to bring it with me or I wouldn't have it on me when I went to a particular shop. I always have my phone with me!

It's called ShopShop and developed by Nicolaj Shumacher.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just thought I'd give a mention to a great little Shopping List app I've been using for the last few weeks.

We used to use paper lists but either I'd forget to bring it with me or I wouldn't have it on me when I went to a particular shop. I always have my phone with me!

I always use my phone for my shopping list. I just make a list in the notes and try to put the stuff in order of where there are in the shop and then delete them as I pick each item. So handy. Plus I can always add stuff as I think of it during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I always use my phone for my shopping list. I just make a list in the notes and try to put the stuff in order of where there are in the shop and then delete them as I pick each item. So handy. Plus I can always add stuff as I think of it during the day.

App called Colour Note allows you to make actual checklists that you can just tap to remove items once you've picked them up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd be trying to scribble out milk, bread, etc with my blue pen. An app would be wasted on me.

Poached a turkey breast in chicken stock yesterday. Wanted to do a crown, but none could be got. I didn't need to crisp up the outsides either, it was lovely and moist. I'm going to take that as the Christmas dinner trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use that one and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that you can't have the list on more than one phone. When I was with the ex we used one that wasn't quite as good as shopshop but would update between one phone and the other so that we didn't wind up both buying the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

kylith wrote: »
    I use that one and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that you can't have the list on more than one phone. When I was with the ex we used one that wasn't quite as good as shopshop but would update between one phone and the other so that we didn't wind up both buying the same stuff.

There's a DropBox sync in the settings. That sounds like what you're looking for......

Do tell which butcher.

Ashley O'Neill. The meat is very good but the last time there was quite a bit of bone making up the weight though...

Ashley O'Neill. The meat is very good but the last time there was quite a bit of bone making up the weight though...

Ah. The poster was talking about boned shin.

Ashley O Neill has retired btw.
    O Mahony's have taken over the space.
    One great butcher replaced with another.

• Advertisement

Ah. The poster was talking about boned shin.

Ashley O Neill has retired btw.
    O Mahony's have taken over the space.
    One great butcher replaced with another.

It's a great place in fairness!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement