Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just what *is* good course management?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    You're learning :)

I'd be interested to know your opinions, I'd say you're a 12 drivers per round man ;)

I like your theory for high HC's but think its a bit extreme, but in general most high HC'ers could do with moving taking a lot of it on boards. The major problem i have with your theory is that it avoids people facing the problem areas.

Your theory promotes a slow and steady progression, I favour short term pain (with addressing "previous" problem areas such as my driver) for "hopefully" greater improvement in the medium-long term

Down to 3 (or 4 if 18 is into the wind!)

By definition you shouldnt be facing problem areas on the course though! Do that on the range or practice rounds where there is no downside, on the course you are there to score as low as possible. You arent going to fix a swing fault on course, especially if you are a high handicap.

Also, Im not advocating you play like this forever, but if you are off 20+ and your handicap is not coming down, then why wouldnt you...clearly your current strategy isnt working.

Learn how to play to your handicap before you try to play lower than it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

GreeBo wrote: »
    lol, for a minute there I had no idea what had just happened!

This is for player based course management...good idea for a thread though!
    Let me know and I can zap your post (or move to a new thread?)

Not sure what happened myself actually. When I opened the forum a minute ago there was only Greebo's original post on this thread with one view. Then when I post what I thought was the second post on the thread there is suddently 3 pages and the thread is two days old ! Bizarre. One for the software boffins maybe.

Almaviva wrote: »
    Not sure what happened myself actually. When I opened the forum a minute ago there was only Greebo's original post on this thread with one view. Then when I post what I thought was the second post on the thread there is suddently 3 pages and the thread is two days old ! Bizarre. One for the software boffins maybe.

I merged all the posts from the lowering your handicap thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

I merged all the posts from the lowering your handicap thread.
    So we're manufacturing threads now, how you see fit? this a big leap even for you.
    Also anyone else find it ironic that the biggest advocator of course management doesn't actually know what it is himself?, or is it part of your master plan to educate the masses?.
    Greebo I have to ask, (out of morbid curiosty), what it is you do for a living? and before you answer, my guess is a teacher or some job in the civil service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Has merits as a second thread, some overlap but tbh I don't see the harm.

So do we ever see it as a good idea to train ourselves to be very straight/consistent with the driver, using it unless we "cant" and calling that cm

We all know people who don't really lose balls ever really off the tee. I've one guy in mind who's not the longest at my club and I've played 20+ rounds with him but I don't think I've ever seen him in a hazard or oob off the tee.

10-12 h/c ish mostly from not being long enough in two and not up and down often enough to be lower.

I'd find it hard telling him he's wrong to always hit driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

david-k wrote: »
    So we're manufacturing threads now, how you see fit? this a big leap even for you.
    Also anyone else find it ironic that the biggest advocator of course management doesn't actually know what it is himself?, or is it part of your master plan to educate the masses?.
    Greebo I have to ask, (out of morbid curiosty), what it is you do for a living? and before you answer, my guess is a teacher or some job in the civil service.

Fair is fair David.
    I kicked up a fuss last week over threads being hijacked, I think Greebo has done the right thing with moving it from m r c's thread to a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Fair is fair David.
    I kicked up a fuss last week over threads being hijacked, I think Greebo has done the right thing with moving it from m r c's thread to a new thread.
    Yes fair point AJ and I agree with you, but surely starting a clean new thread and letting it develop organically is the way to go not manufacturing it like has happened here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

its 180M min uphill for a start. Thats a perfect 3iron or a rescue to the back for me.
    RHS is OOB from the tee all the way to the green.
    Over the green is a forest.
    Green high along the LHS is a 10M sheer drop to rough. a ball running down the face is lost of ivy, a river runs the length of the hole about 20M left.
    So to take enough club to get onto the green (and avoid the 4 pot bunkers) I'm bringing in OOB for a fade and a wet or lost ball or at best a very hard pitch for a draw.
    I hit s 6 iron shot of all the bunkers, leaves me a 30-50M pitch and I get up and down about 50% of the time.

Every week I watch lads hit 3woods & drivers and walk off with 7s and 8s.

Is the second also a Par 3?

That sounds a little like the 1st in Grange!

4's a decent score.

Down to 3 (or 4 if 18 is into the wind!)

By definition you shouldnt be facing problem areas on the course though! Do that on the range or practice rounds where there is no downside, on the course you are there to score as low as possible. You arent going to fix a swing fault on course, especially if you are a high handicap.

Also, Im not advocating you play like this forever, but if you are off 20+ and your handicap is not coming down, then why wouldnt you...clearly your current strategy isnt working.

Learn how to play to your handicap before you try to play lower than it.

I've had to do my improving on the course this year, young kid, so brownie points are cashed in at the course.
    I get your point but its not for everyone (I think some frustration arises from people, including myself, as you seem to think its the only way for a high HC'er to improve)
    Some High HC'ers are good with the big stick, they fall down elsewhere, I wouldn't advocate your approach for these.
    You could acknowledge that you method wouldn't be the best approach for these.

Your approach may work for a lot of people but even if I had had range time this year I wouldn't have adopted your approach in full.
    I have taken bits of it on board but the simple fact is, I'm never going to play golf using 3 drivers a round.
    I wouldn't enjoy golf playing like that, and I'm not sure I'd score better playing golf that I don't enjoy.

I also think your approach is due to your home course being tighter than most. A lot of courses out there aren't are punishing off the tee so your approach can be relaxed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I have to say this just sounds insane to me.....maybe thats why i currently play off 12. I realise you are limiting the risk of ahigh score on the hole but are you not also limiting just how low a handicap you can achieve.... my aspiration is to be a low single figure golfer, if every week i laid up on a tough par 3 .... One, i'd be horrendously bored but secondly, I'm limiting my ability to par the hole...off 12 and therefore having a reasonable control of my golf ball id hope to hit the green 4/10 times, be around the green with the chance of par or bogey at worst another 4/10 & possibly worse the other 2/10.....So 80% of the time I'm getting 2points or better presumably as it would be a low index.

Do u hope to get below your current handicap or maintain what you have within say a shot...and if you got to say 3/4 would you still lay up on 200 yard par 3's & believe you get up and down...
    I'm actually intrigued by your game management and would love to see it in action...i must play a boards outing next yr!

Just thinking...can i offer you and Gorfield a free round of golf in Oughterard, I reckon it would be the best money i could invest in getting me to single figures...genuine offer to both of you...I'm sure i could find a 4th to play a friendly match! DM me if either of you are interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good idea to split the thread.

Keep the tip thread for tips & a separate thread to delve into a discussion on management.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I've had to do my improving on the course this year, young kid, so brownie points are cashed in at the course.
    I get your point but its not for everyone (I think some frustration arises from people, including myself, as you seem to think its the only way for a high HC'er to improve)
    Some High HC'ers are good with the big stick, they fall down elsewhere, I wouldn't advocate your approach for these.

Your approach may work for a lot of people but even if I had had range time this year I wouldn't have adopted your approach in full.
    I have taken bits of it on board but the simple fact is, I'm never going to play golf using 3 drivers a round.
    I wouldn't enjoy golf playing like that, and I'm not sure I'd score better playing golf that I don't enjoy.

I also think your approach is due to your home course being tighter than most. A lot of courses out there aren't are punishing off the tee so your approach can be relaxed elsewhere.

ajcurry, do you remember how many drivers I used in palmerstown? Would you say I'd have scored better with the driver? I've change my method this year and only off the back sticks will I hit more than 5 with driver. I use it off the backs, not because of distance but because I won't reach the hazards and I've a bigger landing zone.

You could use driver on courses that aren't as punishing but you may also leave yourself anywhere from 100yds to 40yds with tooked pins. I find it easier to have full shorts into greens. Generally from further back I'll have a better angle and won't have to deal with those shots that cause us nightmares.

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    I have to say this just sounds insane to me.....maybe thats why i currently play off 12. I realise you are limiting the risk of ahigh score on the hole but are you not also limiting just how low a handicap you can achieve.... my aspiration is to be a low single figure golfer, if every week i laid up on a tough par 3 .... One, i'd be horrendously bored but secondly, I'm limiting my ability to par the hole...off 12 and therefore having a reasonable control of my golf ball id hope to hit the green 4/10 times, be around the green with the chance of par or bogey at worst another 4/10 & possibly worse the other 2/10.....So 80% of the time I'm getting 2points or better presumably as it would be a low index.

Do u hope to get below your current handicap or maintain what you have within say a shot...and if you got to say 3/4 would you still lay up on 200 yard par 3's & believe you get up and down...
    I'm actually intrigued by your game management and would love to see it in action...i must play a boards outing next yr!

Just thinking...can i offer you and Gorfield a free round of golf in Oughterard, I reckon it would be the best money i could invest in getting me to single figures...genuine offer to both of you...I'm sure i could find a 4th to play a friendly match! DM me if either of you are interested

I'd play, pencil bag, two clubs: driver and putter, no tees :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

One thing I have learned the hard way, due to ego/ stupidity was trying to hit the the lowest loft possible out of a bunker, in order to get as close to the hole as possible on Par 4's/5's

Catching a beauty out of the sand, to have it just hit the highest point of the bunker, sky, then drop verticaly down, closer to the lip. -> Red mist descends

Hitting poor low iron shots also now I try and completley ignore ( ie a thin/fat) as I know I can get up and down, just keep the gasket from blowing.

Laying up on Par 5's, with good yardage >>>>>>>>akward chip, poor lie,

Up and down from 80 yards>>>>>>>>>>> long difficult putt from three putt terrain

Ben1977 wrote: »
    ajcurry, do you remember how many drivers I used in palmerstown? Would you say I'd have scored better with the driver? I've change my method this year and only off the back sticks will I hit more than 5 with driver. I use it off the backs, not because of distance but because I won't reach the hazards and I've a bigger landing zone.

You could use driver on courses that aren't as punishing but you may also leave yourself anywhere from 100yds to 40yds with tooked pins. I find it easier to have full shorts into greens. Generally from further back I'll have a better angle and won't have to deal with those shots that cause us nightmares.

I can't remember how many Ben, I just remember you hitting a three wood on the 18th for the long drive hole when you had GOTY wrapped up and you were too far off from winning the captains day itself.
    That was bad prize management. You should have went with driver :)

Your course management is very good in fairness, I'd like to think I took something from that and applied it with success last Monday.
    I'm not saying that it should be driver off all holes, I just think 3 is a bit extreme.
    I'm not as confident with my 3 wood of the tee these days, am hoping to build that up and get it used a bit more.
    You're a fairly big hitter, your 3 wood would go as far as many drivers.
    Maybe it's something I should look at but I generally have the attitude of "the closer the better".

I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn on course management. I'm not saying its a bad thing, far from it. I just think Greebos is far too conservative for me and is not applicable to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I can't remember how many Ben, I just remember you hitting a three wood on the 18th for the long drive hole when you had GOTY wrapped up and you were too far off from winning the captains day itself.
    That was bad prize management. You should have went with driver :)

Your course management is very good in fairness, I'd like to think I took something from that and applied it with success last Monday.
    I'm not saying that it should be driver off all holes, I just think 3 is a bit extreme.
    I'm not as confident with my 3 wood of the tee these days, am hoping to build that up and get it used a bit more.
    You're a fairly big hitter, your 3 wood would go as far as many drivers.
    Maybe it's something I should look at but I generally have the attitude of "the closer the better".

I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn on course management. I'm not saying its a bad thing, far from it. I just think Greebos is far too conservative for me and is not applicable to everyone.

Just 4 drivers in palmerstown.
    There is the opinion why be 200yds from the green in the rough when I could be 100yds from the green in the rough! I understand the statement and actually would agree it makes a lot of sense.

Took me a while to get confidence to hit wood of the tee, it didn't just happen. I'd top a couple and let them slice into OB. Only started with a bit of course management this year. Yes Greebos option might be a bit conservative as you strike your irons very well, then again if your irons are so good why try and kill it off the tee?

You only score well from your approach shots not the tee. This is why Tiger is so good. He sprays it everywhere but scores with the approach and knows when short of the green is good.

When it becomes non qualifiying try a round with a bit of plotting your way around.

Goldenjohn wrote: »

I can & birdie any hole on my course, I dont need to par or birdie this one to have a good score though.

The problem is not parring or bogeying it, the problem is what score I have when I dont par or bogey it. Based on experience, being out of position on this hole is a 5 or 6, or even worse. (The description of the hole is earlier in the thread and yeah its the 1st in Grange)

IMO this strategy only limits the very big and very small scores. sure in this instance it reduces the chances of a birdie to almost nil, but like I say, I have 17 other holes to birdie. Even if I dont have a single birdie, Ill take 1 over gross of 9 any day.

By your own numbers you are accepting a 1 putt par or worse 6/10 times.
    The layout of this hole means that if you miss in, unless you are short, you are leaving a very difficult up and down. A good bad shot will find a bunker and leave you a 20yard bunker shot to the middle of the green, not enjoyable.
    A bad bad shot will be OB, Water Hazard, lost or 20m below the level of the green up a sheer face.
    Again, the absolute best Im going to do on the hole is a birdie, Id say the chances are 1/20. The worst I can do by going for it is any number, Ive had them all there.
    By laying up the best I can reasonably expect to do is a par, the worst a 4.
    So by trying to make up 1 shot I leave myself open to wasting 2 or more. For me the maths just doesnt stack up.

Thanks for the offer, but best of luck getting Gorfield out to play with me!

Not the only way, the easiest quickest way though.
    you dont have to do anything. you dont need to practice, take lessons or change anything about your swing to *try* play more contained golf.

I have no problems with people hitting the driver, as long has they have some "proof" (to themselves, not me, couldnt give a wobblers!) that its doing more good than harm.

I've yet to meet a high (20+) handicap golfer who splits the fairway most of the time though. Even if you did hit it, if you dont have the game to recover from the times you miss, Id say its still not worth it.
    If it costs you more than it saves you then....

My approach is my approach because thats my course. I've said it time and time again, you need to balance *your* plan to your skills and your experience on your course. Im not advocating that everyone on here lays up on long par 3's or anything.
    Id recommend my strategy to anyone playing more course off a similar handicap to mine though.

When I go to a more open course I hit the driver more. I played craddockstown a few weeks ok, hit driver way more than in Grange.

If you get enjoyment out of hitting drivers, irrespective of your score, I dont have a problem with that. But when people have threads saying "im off X and I want to get lower" then that doesnt gel with hitting shots just because they are fun.

you cant rock up to footie training and spend the evening hitting free kicks and expect to get on the team.

I just think Greebos is far too conservative for me and is not applicable to everyone.

Serious question.
    Do you think people who cant play to their high handicap cant do so because they are being too conservative or not conservative enough?

Id argue that if you are >18 and cant play to it with any regularity then not being aggressive enough isnt your problem. You dont have big numbers by being too conservative and if you cant play to 18+ you are probably having big numbers somewhere along the way.

Serious question.
    Do you think people who cant play to their high handicap cant do so because they are being too conservative or not conservative enough?.

I'd say neither.

Rather, they simply cant hit the ball well enough.

• Advertisement

I'd say neither.

Rather, they simply cant hit the ball well enough.

So if you are bad at something, do you think a conservative approach or an aggressive approach is better, considering there is a downside for poor performance?

So if you are bad at something, do you think a conservative approach or an aggressive approach is better, considering there is a downside for poor performance?

Overall performance has many contributing factors. Aggressive/conservative approach is one of them. But a very small one. At any given level (say handcap categories in groups of around 4 shots), it can make the difference between the 22 and the 20 handicapper, or the 10 and the 8 handicapper.
    But thats about it.
    More shots are lost to the course through having a poor or poorly repeating swing, not having putting 'feel' or the spatial awareness to read putts, the hours of practice with a good technique to get up and down from within 50 yards, being able to hold your nerve coming down the stretch with a good card or when under pressure in a match.
    Course management can of course make the marginal difference between winning and losing all else being equal. But it is far more likely to be one of the other more significant factors.
    If I played every round for a year with P Harrington beside me selecting the type of shot I am to play, my scores might - might - be a shot or two better than my current 14 hc. But it certainly wouldnt transform my game. I think you are putting too much emphasis on this aspect as a defining difference between golfers levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

i think knowing realistically how far you hit your clubs is as important as course management, and course management is essential.

deluded club selection re distances is a common error imho

Serious question.
    Do you think people who cant play to their high handicap cant do so because they are being too conservative or not conservative enough?

Id argue that if you are >18 and cant play to it with any regularity then not being aggressive enough isnt your problem. You dont have big numbers by being too conservative and if you cant play to 18+ you are probably having big numbers somewhere along the way.

I don't know how many times I've said it already, but I'll say it again. I agree that your theory will work for a lot, possibly the majority of high HC'ers.

All I am trying to say, outside of that, is that it won't work for everyone and isnt exactly flawless, whereas, I certainly feel that most of your posts seem to convey that you feel it's the only way.
    That is the impression the posts give myself (and others I think)
    However, you did clarify that it's not always the case and there is a need for some flexibility depending on different situations in your previous post.....
    So I don't think we have much to debate further to that.

You've a good theory.
    I've taken some on board and will take more on in future but I wont be looking to open up a franchise ;)

Have you ever tried to play your coursra bit more aggressive recently? (Or would you explode if you did that ;) )
    Would you say you got course management nailed down at this stage?
    If so, would you be worried that you have plateaued at your current handicap? (Which I'd bit your arm off to have)

Overall performance has many contributing factors. Aggressive/conservative approach is one of them. But a very small one. At any given level (say handcap categories in groups of around 4 shots), it can make the difference between the 22 and the 20 handicapper, or the 10 and the 8 handicapper.
    But thats about it.
    More shots are lost to the course through having a poor or poorly repeating swing, not having putting 'feel' or the spatial awareness to read putts, the hours of practice with a good technique to get up and down from within 50 yards, being able to hold your nerve coming down the stretch with a good card or when under pressure in a match.
    Course management can of course make the marginal difference between winning and losing all else being equal. But it is far more likely to be one of the other more significant factors.
    If I played every round for a year with P Harrington beside me selecting the type of shot I am to play, my scores might - might - be a shot or two better than my current 14 hc. But it certainly wouldnt transform my game. I think you are putting too much emphasis on this aspect as a defining difference between golfers levels.

I have to disagree.
    More shots are lost by hitting bad shots and not recovering from them. Its harder to recover the worse the initial shot was.

You cant realistically expect a 20 something handicap golfer to have the same level of skills (green reading, feel, repeating swing, etc) as a single figure golfer. If they did they simply wouldnt be a high handicap golfer.
    A golfer of any level can have good course management for *their*, no one elses, ability and experience.

If you play of 14 you obviously have some level of skill...a level that 6 shots+ better than the handicap golfer we are talking about here. More in fact because the people are are talking about cannot play to their current handicap.

The worse you are at hitting a golf ball the more important your course strategy becomes, because
    1) you are more likely to hit it into trouble
    2) you are less likely to get it out of trouble
    3) you dont have the short game to make up for it.

I dont think its the defining thing between golf levels at all.
    I think it divides people who usually play in or around the buffer from those that vary wildly around it. I think it separates those that beat par and those who's handicaps are increasing or stagnant.

You reckon course management might save you 2 shots a round after a year. How long have you been off 14?
    How many 0.1s have you had this year/last year?

Why are you still 14?

Why are you still 14?

Oscillating between 12-15 for the last 20 years - because I hit the ball, pitch, and putt, with fundamentally the same ability. Variation more due to frequency of play in different periods than anything else.

I don't know how many times I've said it already, but I'll say it again. I agree that your theory will work for a lot, possibly the majority of high HC'ers.

All I am trying to say, outside of that, is that it won't work for everyone and isnt exactly flawless, whereas, I certainly feel that most of your posts seem to convey that you feel it's the only way.
    That is the impression the posts give myself (and others I think)
    However, you did clarify that it's not always the case and there is a need for some flexibility depending on different situations in your previous post.....
    So I don't think we have much to debate further to that.

You've a good theory.
    I've taken some on board and will take more on in future but I wont be looking to open up a franchise ;)

Have you ever tried to play your coursra bit more aggressive recently? (Or would you explode if you did that ;) )
    Would you say you got course management nailed down at this stage?
    If so, would you be worried that you have plateaued at your current handicap? (Which I'd bit your arm off to have)

- If you are a high handicap golfer, especially one who doesnt get to practice much, I'd make a bet that using some of my ideas will get you at the very worst, playing to it. (call now and receive a free, yes thats right, FREE GreeBo Tee!)
    - I think good course management will help every golfer, so yes, I do think it will work for everyone. Start conservative, play to your handicap and see where you can be more aggressive, without costing yourself shots. Its a start, its not an end.
    - For years I played my course as it was laid out in front of me, if its a par 3, hit whatever club I need to get there, par 4 is driver and whatever club is left, par 5 was driver and rescue/5wood etc. It didnt get me very far, I was stuck at 17.
    I then started playing smarter golf and I went from 17 to 8 in 9 years. Along the way I picked up 2 Captains Prizes, a couple of Majors, multiple medals, got on winning club teams and been there or there abouts on GOTY a few times.

My strategy changes with my handicap because I need to be more and more aggressive to play to it each time it drops. Off 17 I didnt go for a number of Par 4s in two or a couple of par 3s in 1. I dont have that luxury now, or if I do, I need a par or birdie somewhere else to make up for it.

Look, all Im saying is I've tried both methods and this one works, for me at least. If you havent tried it I dont see how you can say it wont work for you. If you think its boring thats fine, do you want to be excited or better golfer, your choice. The reailty is I couldnt give a fiddlers, Im pretty much at my lowest handicap ever and still making my way down. There is nothing in my strategy stopping me from getting even lower, so why would I change it until it becomes a problem?

Jerry's Final Thougts:
    A strategy isnt a static thing that you decide and nail to the wall, it changes as your ability changes, it might change because the wind has changed or you are going through a great or terrible period with a certain hole or club. Its flexible. Always trying to play scratch golf isnt. Its betting all your money on black and relying on your sugar daddy of a handicap to bail you out when it comes up red. if your goal is to get lower then having 9 0.1s and 1 -3 doesnt get you anywhere, its exciting but you are getting no closer to your goal and that would frustrate the hell out of me.

Stick a little on black, a little on red, pick a few corners and by all means throw a little on 0, your good days wont be amazing, but you wont crap out either.

/GreeBo out.

Stick a little on black, a little on red, pick a few corners and by all means throw a little on 0, your good days wont be amazing, but you wont crap out either.

/GreeBo out.

Roulette is a mugs game, come over here and play a bit of blackjack with me, it's way more fun!
    You get a say in your own faith over here, nobody spinning that wheel for you, you stick or hit.

We are very different people.
    I'm a gambler.

All this talk might make some people more aware but ultimately people have to learn from their mistakes, like you did and I will no doubt.

I'm fairly happy I'm on the right route for me, I would hope to make a similar jump as you but in a shorter timeframe. Course management can and will have to improve, but so does every other area!

Anyway, I'm out too, time to go Poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

At "my level" I dont really pay too much attention to the index on my own course in medal play. Im playing for a par on every hole.

Not going for the green on the first hole which is a par 3 isn't exactly playing for par is it ? Regardless if you sink the putt 50% of the time.

It's a tricky enough hole but I don't see it being that defensive.
    I don't know many 9 handicappers that wouldn't go for the green there and lay up..seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

Not going for the green on the first hole which is a par 3 isn't exactly playing for par is it ? Regardless if you sink the putt 50% of the time.

It's a tricky enough hole but I don't see it being that defensive.
    I don't know many 9 handicappers that wouldn't go for the green there and lay up..seems odd.

Have to say in defence of GreeBo I play a par 3 on my course just short of 200 yards index 13 (I don't have a shot). It's normally a rescue for me and most others (don't get me started on the 220 yard 3 iron junkies). Trees to the left and right the closer you get to the green. Mostly I was carving my rescue into the trees on the right with a 50/50 chance of playing my preferred shot (58 wedge) to the green. The other times I'm under a tree trying to keep it low and get over the greenside bunker (tricky !) Lately I've started hitting a 4 iron which comes up short of the bunkers and normally leaves me a 20/30 yard chip which I can get up and down from more than 50% of the time. I'll never take more than 4 (1 stableford point) with this approach and a lot of the times make 3.

If a hole has the possibility of being a card wrecker then YES - Take the conservative route !!

Advertisement