Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Ticket sales (or lack there of) would indicate the opposite.

EP is usually well sold out by now.

Wonder why this year is different.........................

Aside from the above being entirely inaccurate, there's also the small matter of the Sunday tickets selling out faster than any previous EP. The indicators are that tickets sales simply don't support this 'weak line-up' theory. You don't care for the line-up, others disagree - end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I think lineup good!

I'm frankly delighted that I've got artists all the way down the list that I'm really excited to see. Optimistically means that I'll never be bored or worrying about clashes, as they are subbing for the bigger acts.

From Outkast, Portishead, Foals to St Vincent, London Grammar, Mogwai to Wild Beasts, Tuneyards, Temples to FKA Twigs, Vancouver Sleep Clinic, Asgeir to Perfume Genius, Ham Sandwich, Drenge to Meltybrains, Clean Bandit, Twin Shadow etc...

I know I'll never be bored anyway...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

alastair wrote: »
    Aside from the above being entirely inaccurate, there's also the small matter of the Sunday tickets selling out faster than any previous EP. The indicators are that tickets sales simply don't support this 'weak line-up' theory. You don't care for the line-up, others disagree - end of story.

Unfortunately not, the story will keep going as long as the troll is fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023m293

Annie Mac in Ibiza. Well worth a listen. Salivating at the idea of her closing out the saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

some great names there, still more to come too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jizzzman

Best line up EVERRRRRRRRR !!!

Is it wishful thinking that Joy O and Boddika will be b2b?!
    wishful thinking for you! :p

i'd much rather 2 separate 2hr sets than both of them on a single 2hr set.
    won't be complaining if they do go b2b though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Never been to the RBMA stage before as far as I know (maybe I have and just didn't know it :P) but I'm assuming Joy Orbison and Boddika will be on late, yeah?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wonder where Flume will be playing on the Sunday . Guessing one of the tents

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Never been to the RBMA stage before as far as I know (maybe I have and just didn't know it :P) but I'm assuming Joy Orbison and Boddika will be on late, yeah?

yeah, i'd imagine 2am-ish

a few photos of it on the RBMA site:
    http://www.redbull.com/ie/en/music/stories/1331668050366/music-festival-rbma

a-small-gathering.jpg

beams-of-light.jpg

handsome-paddy-plays-the-rbma-stage.jpg

smoke-screen.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Great stuff from the RBMA. Though I hope Joy O isn't on the Friday, don't like blowing my serotonic load so early in the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

Acts I'll be attempting to definitely, probably attend:

Portishead, Mogwai, Wild Beasts, Drenge, John Wizards & Joy Orbison.

Acts to navigate toward, as a general guide if I forget what I'm doing:

James Murphy, SBTRKT, Metronomy, The Stranglers, White Denim, Neneh Cherry, Omar Souleyman, FKA Twigs, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, The Wailers & Tune-Yards.

The rest of the time will be spent at the Salty Dog and wandering around looking stupid, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Cheers ghostdancer. Might've been there before it was rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Serotonic Load. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Great stuff from the RBMA. Though I hope Joy O isn't on the Friday, don't like blowing my serotonic load so early in the weekend.

Speaking of which, which act does everyone think would be best to save your load for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Ah, the old 'he made some valid points to my post, I better back out of this quickly' approach. :rolleyes:

Nope, I made a few suggestions as to how you might find some "new" bands that you might like, you denigrated that approach so I decided to state that I was bored of you which I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

what a moanbag

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Nope, I made a few suggestions as to how you might find some "new" bands that you might like, you denigrated that approach so I decided to state that I was bored of you which I am.

Nope. You patronized the bejaysus out of me and then decided to retreat when you were outwitted and outclassed.

When I need 'help to find new bands' then I'll be sure to give this thread a swerve, based on the apparent music taste of it's contributors.

P.S I'm bored of you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Speaking of which, which act does everyone think would be best to save your load for?

Most definitely outkast for me, hopefully shall be on the Sunday but ya never know now that the Sunday day tickets are sold out so putting the big acts on Sunday will be kinda irrelevant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

That frothy, creamy, serotonin.

Bitta help lads, any good techno or techno-esque acts I should check out? God I love techno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

After 7 years of ep I've learned to trust the line up...usually most of which I never heard of...and go with the flow. 9 times out 10 the new acts I'm introduced to end up been the most memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Bitta help lads, any good techno or techno-esque acts I should check out? God I love techno.

Think the RBMA stage is the only spot for Techno? Sunil Sharpe being the stand out one there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

paulieeye wrote: »
    After 7 years of ep I've learned to trust the line up...usually most of which I never heard of...and go with the flow. 9 times out 10 the new acts I'm introduced to end up been the most memorable.

Definitely, with new bands you've never heard of there's no expectation going in so can be great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

paulieeye wrote: »

"But it's all good, it's all good
    All I say to you today
    It's all good, sure it's all good"

PS, once Damien fooking Dempsey isn't within a mile of the place I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

garra wrote: »
    Hey Folie - Would you mind expanding on the hidden nuggets in the line-up, aside from the headliners and metronomy I am ignorant of the output of the other bands.. I'm 40+ and I'm liking alternative/indie/folk stuff, anything from flaming lips to decemberists.. Is there anything you have found in the line-up that you can recommend to a conoisseur like me? :D

thanks in advance!
    g

Alright, I'll give it a go. I've been getting excited about some of the acts from further down the bill. The Districts (links to songs Funeral Beds & Lyla) are looking good to me as a decent indie outfit, as are The Orwells (Dirty Sheets & The Righteous One). A couple of people mentioned Unknown Mortal Orchestra (Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark) & So Good At Being In Trouble) earlier in this thread and I gave them a listen and I quite like their sound too, a lot more chilled out than the previous two I've linked. There are a few more but those are the first three that come to mind.

After that I guess it depends on just how much of the upper bill you're already familiar with. I wouldn't really consider any of the ones I'm about to mention "hidden" by any means. Foals are getting a lot of people excited and rightly so imo. I'm crazy excited to see London Grammar after seeing the show they put on at Glastonbury. St. Vincent is also an excellent female vocalist. Bombay Bicycle Club are decent.

These are just a few of my personal picks, didn't cover everything I'm excited for, and there's likely tonnes more that I haven't mentioned either because it's not my cup of tea or I'm just not familiar enough with it. I also neglected to mention some of the electronic acts I've been listening to (Flume, Rustie, Le Galaxie) since you specifically mentioned indie. If anyone wants to recommend I give anything else a listen based on the above then please do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Bicep

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

wishful thinking for you! :p

i'd much rather 2 separate 2hr sets than both of them on a single 2hr set.
    won't be complaining if they do go b2b though!

I was thinking more along the lines of a four hour b2b set! But realistically they'll probably be closing their respective nights, which isn't a bad thing..... This being dropped though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

nocoverart wrote: »
    "But it's all good, it's all good
    All I say to you today
    It's all good, sure it's all good"

PS, once Damien fooking Dempsey isn't within a mile of the place I'm happy.

harsh ;)

"I'm never gonna let your negative vibes and comments get through to my psyche and cripple me"

Such a shame that Damo is clashing with A.Skillz in Indiependence this weekend. Two of the acts that caused me to make a final decision on indie 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Hercules and the Love Affair were (IMO) great in 2008 - but they've new vocalists now, so not sure how they'll compare this time out. It's NYC arty nu-disco, but worked way better live than recorded material suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

pmalone wrote: »
    harsh ;)

"I'm never gonna let your negative vibes and comments get through to my psyche and cripple me"

Such a shame that Damo is clashing with A.Skillz in Indiependence this weekend. Two of the acts that caused me to make a final decision on indie 14.

A tad harsh. I do like that one you quoted, but a whole album of him is like a washing machine spinning around inside my head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement