Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

What gigs have you gone to this year so far? Maybe that will help people find bands that you might like.

There's a load of stuff I haven't heard of and probably wouldn't pay to see if they were playing in Dublin FKATwigs for example but will probably throw an eye over at EP.

I usually have a gander at Pitchfork for the US based bands to get a flavour, maybe you just need to do a bit of research. It would be a terribly boring festival if you knew all the bands and didn't have at least one new discovery.

WARNING: Extreme hipster bullsh1t be there at times ;) .. for example they gave the temples album a very tough review (5.5!) … turns out its a cracker of an album … basically pitchfork can be quite up its arse. Sometimes I read a bad review there and think "yeah that sounds like something i might like". YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice to see Joy Orbison again, he was amazing at Life Festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

WARNING: Extreme hipster bullsh1t be there at times ;) .. for example they gave the temples album a very tough review (5.5!) … turns out its a cracker of an album … basically pitchfork can be quite up its arse. Sometimes I read a bad review there and think "yeah that sounds like something i might like". YMMV

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pitchfork-gives-music-68,2278/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

What gigs have you gone to this year so far? Maybe that will help people find bands that you might like.

There's a load of stuff I haven't heard of and probably wouldn't pay to see if they were playing in Dublin FKATwigs for example but will probably throw an eye over at EP.

I usually have a gander at Pitchfork for the US based bands to get a flavour, maybe you just need to do a bit of research. It would be a terribly boring festival if you knew all the bands and didn't have at least one new discovery.
    You get terribly bored watching bands you know and like?

That's a new one.

Coming across new music is always a joy. I do my best at keeping my finger on the pulse (I even visit Pitchfork!). If you're trying to tell me the line up is full of hidden gems that I simply haven't come across then I'll have to politely disagree. :rolleyes:

I think people need to hold their hands up and admit the line up is lacking from previous years.

Will I have a good time? You betcha!

Will I still maintain the line up has been a disappointment? Most certainly, because it's the truth.

I don't really want to discuss the line up anymore. We all know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have to say I've been pretty disappointed with the announcements for Body&Soul and the RBMA, wasn't expecting loads but don't think there is a single act I want to go and see across those stages, although I don't know a lot of the acts announced by Body & Soul and I'm sure I'll end up in the woods once or twice over the weekend. Could be a blessing in disguise though, there are more than enough acts I want to see across the other stages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I guess a 40+ connoisseur would already know:
    mogwai (a must see if you haven't before... LOUD)
    foals
    slowdive
    wild beasts

based on "alternative/indie/folk stuff" in no particular order
    try:
    tune-yards
    vancouver sleep clinic
    young fathers
    temples
    white denim
    Unknown mortal orchestra
    Wolf Alice
    Asgeir

... sure that's a whole weekend of top class music right there ... :)

I'd second these, and there are also lots of other gems sprinkled about the festival.

St. Vincent is not to be missed:

Then you've got the likes of Steve Malkmus(of Pavement) & the Jicks, and over on Body & Soul you've got the likes of Glass Animals & Ólöf Arnalds

Also if you make time to just wander around and see what takes your fancy you're bound to stumble across a couple of gems

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Jazzzman wrote: »
    If you're trying to tell me the line up is full of hidden gems that I simply haven't come across then I'll have to politely disagree. :rolleyes:

So... Either you're saying you're familiar with all the acts performing, and there's nothing to discover for you there, or you've rapidly determined, on the basis of extensive soundcloud/YouTube research, that all the acts unknown to you don't cut the mustard. Or you're just determined to ensure everyone hears your whinge, regardless of the actual quality of bookings.

I know which seems most likely to me.

Seems like a pretty typical booking quality EP to me - and possibly better than one or two years gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That's a new one.

Coming across new music is always a joy. I do my best at keeping my finger on the pulse (I even visit Pitchfork!). If you're trying to tell me the line up is full of hidden gems that I simply haven't come across then I'll have to politely disagree. :rolleyes:

I think people need to hold their hands up and admit the line up is lacking from previous years.

Will I still maintain the line up has been a disappointment? Most certainly, because it's the truth.

Bored of you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think people are overreacting to Jazzzman. Just because he has the opinion that it's a disappointing line-up and is able to argue why he thinks that shouldn't really mean several people should get aggressively defensive and label him as a cynical whinge.

I was fairly disappointed at the initial announcement but over time have taken a bit more of a shining to the line-up, especially with the more recent announcements. I do think it's lacking compared to previous years I've went (only the last two years mind) but there's enough good bands in line-up (mostly mid billing) and of course the overall EP experience to keep me happy.

Liking the RBMA announcements! Joy Orbision was fantastic at life festival indeed.

Bored of you now.

Ah, the old 'he made some valid points to my post, I better back out of this quickly' approach. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I've heard just enough from Jazzzman now I think.
    Basically his argument amounts to him being right and all of us being wrong.
    There's far more to enjoy on this lineup than previous years IMO. The last two years didn't particularly make me want to go, I wasn't disappointed to miss them. Now if I missed OutKast, Beck, Portishead, Rustie, Joy Orbison, St Vincent, Temples, Foals, Kelis, Flume, Chic, Tune-Yards, SOHN, FKA Twigs, Slowdive, SBTRKT and Mogwai all playing one festival in Ireland I'd be fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Is it wishful thinking that Joy O and Boddika will be b2b?!

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I've heard just enough from Jazzzman now I think.
    Basically his argument amounts to him being right and all of us being wrong.
    There's far more to enjoy on this lineup than previous years IMO. The last two years didn't particularly make me want to go, I wasn't disappointed to miss them. Now if I missed OutKast, Beck, Portishead, Rustie, Joy Orbison, St Vincent, Temples, Foals, Kelis, Flume, Chic, Tune-Yards, SOHN, FKA Twigs, Slowdive, SBTRKT and Mogwai all playing one festival in Ireland I'd be fuming.
    The irony is strong in this one.

I've gone to the effort of explaining my opinion a couple of times now, so that quite frankly is a ridiculous statement.

I'm bored of having to justify my disappointment in the poor line up.

Maybe I should start demanding people to justify why it's so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

not being smart, but that sounds like a top class idea and should improve the signal-to-noise ratio in this thread.

I don't altogether disagree with your assessment of the line up, but we all know your opinion at this stage and it is getting a little tiresome.

I am sure you will have great weekend anyway.

In your opinion. It's subjective. Every time you talk about the lineup you state it as fact that it's weaker. Despite clearly being in the minority. If you're going to make these statements, then try to be objective about it, because it winds people up to be told how they feel.

not being smart, but that sounds like a top class idea and should improve the signal-to-noise ratio in this thread.

I don't altogether disagree with your assessment of the line up, but we all know your opinion at this stage and it is getting a little tiresome.

Cheers I will, and to be fair I'm only responding to peoples questions.

Tired of the yapping myself. Am I disappointed in the line up? Yes. I'll still make it a good weekend. I have to for the money I've coughed up!

By spending the whole weekend walking up to random strangers and telling them the festival is ****e

In your opinion. It's subjective. Every time you talk about the lineup you state it as fact that it's weaker. Despite clearly being in the minority. If you're going to make these statements, then try to be objective about it, because it winds people up to be told how they feel.
    Ticket sales (or lack there of) would indicate the opposite.

EP is usually well sold out by now.

Wonder why this year is different.........................

Ticket sales (or lack there of) would indicate the opposite.

EP is usually well sold out now.

Wonder why this year is different.........................

Thats an outright lie. Last year was the first time in years that it did sell out, and that was only a week before the festival.

Please don't lie to back up your argument.

By spending the whole weekend walking up to random strangers and telling them the festival is ****e

I guess you'll be guy walking up to random strangers and telling them the festival is brilliant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thats an outright lie. Last year was the first time in years that it did sell out, and that was only a week before the festival.

Please don't lie to back up your argument.

Please provide an actual source if you're going to call me a liar.

Also, please clarify what 'years' means.

I guess you'll be guy walking up to random strangers and telling them the festival is brilliant. :rolleyes:

Nah, i'll let them make their own minds up.

Please provide an actual source if you're going to call me a liar.

Also, please clarify what 'years' means.

http://www.thejournal.ie/electric-picnic-sold-out-2-1051544-Aug2013/

"THE ELECTIC PICNIC has officially sold out, the promoters confirmed earlier today. 35,000 people are expected to attend next weekend’s tenth anniversary EP, headlined by the likes of Fatboy Slim, Bjork and former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant.
    There are no plans to release any more tickets for the Stradbally event, a spokesperson for the festival told TheJournal.ie. However, anyone who’s up to the challenge can still gain access to the site for the weekend by signing up for the Tour De Picnic – an 80km cycle to the festival starting at Dublin’s Tallaght Stadium.
    Anyone wishing to take part will have to raise €380, and will be granted an weekend pass once they arrive. The event has raised over €500,000 for charity over the last five years. For the less energetic, a 10km run has been added to the fundraising initiative this year. There are limited places on the Tour De Picnic still remaining as of this evening,
    This year’s festival is the first to sell out since 2008. A special loyalty scheme, introduced to mark the its tenth birthday is one factor that’s likely to have boosted interest: up till 27 May, anyone who had been on three previous occasions could buy a ticket for €149.50. The last of the full price tickets, costing €229.50, sold out this morning."

Nah, i'll let them make their own minds up.

Hah! Not if they're not enjoying it you won't.

'It's brilliant and you're wrong if you don't agree' has been the message in here.

Article dated the 23rd of August, 2013, when it was announced the festival had sold out.

Hah! Not if they're not enjoying it you won't.

'It's brilliant and you're wrong if you don't agree' has been the message in here.

Nah, the message is "we know your opinion by now, can you stop boring the balls off everyone with your trolling".

Nah, the message is "we know your opinion by now, can you stop boring the balls off everyone with your trolling".

Maybe it would be a good idea to stop posing me question after question then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Jaysis, will somebody please make it stop!!!! Going around in circles for ages now. Line up crap vs Line up good.

Maybe it would be a good idea to stop posing me question after question then. :rolleyes:

I haven't posed you question after question, you've been an obvious one-trick pony troll from the start.

• Advertisement

I haven't posed you question after question, you've been an obvious one-trick pony troll from the start.
    Believe it or not you're not the only other person in this thread. :rolleyes:

Guy says line up is poor and outlines clearly why = TROLLOLOLOL.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement