Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

SM746 wrote: »
    Interested to see replay tomorrow but I thought Louths 1st goal was a blatant foul. And another point which was flagged up here few weeks ago about stadium announcements - was it announced today that Eoin McHugh was coming on for Lacey instead of Ryan? I know nothing major but was dead sure I heard that and those little things easily annoy me :-)
    Where can a replay be seen today?

Yup, Eoin McHugh apparently came on! We were wondering at the time was this another unknown McHugh off the conveyor belt as we missed seeing him run on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Where can a replay be seen today?

It might (I say might because I don't think they show every game from Division Two, and with the hurling also on yesterday, I don't know if they will show Donegal) be on TG4 at 8.30pm tonight.
    Yup, Eoin McHugh apparently came on! We were wondering at the time was this another unknown McHugh off the conveyor belt as we missed seeing him run on!

Eoin McHugh is James' son and a pretty good footabller in his own right. Should be playing for the U-21s on Wednesday.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It might (I say might because I don't think they show every game from Division Two, and with the hurling also on yesterday, I don't know if they will show Donegal) be on TG4 at 8.30pm tonight.
    Ah hell. We're at the tail end of the league and this is the first I've even thought of TG4 for highlights. :(

Ah hell. We're at the tail end of the league and this is the first I've even thought of TG4 for highlights. :(

They showed highlights from Laois, Galway and Monaghan games as far as I know. Not sure about Meath or Down.

They showed highlights from Laois, Galway and Monaghan games as far as I know. Not sure about Meath or Down.
    Must look out for it tonight. Bar Laois and Down, I've been to the rest anyway but it's always good seeing it on tv again just to confirm/deny any initial mad opinions I might have straight after a game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Eoin is a very promising footballer. Yeah TG4 tonight; much better coverage than league Sunday I personally feel. I'm pretty sure Louths 1st goal was a pretty blatant foul from my initial first impression

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭LilNiall

With each passing week I get less confident about the Derry game. Louth were cutting through us at will second half. We seem not to be able to defend since the threat of black cards has come in.

Can understand how Derry are still 50-1 & even 5-1 for the league looks fair. Dublin at 9-4 is a shocking price.

LilNiall wrote: »
    With each passing week I get less confident about the Derry game. Louth were cutting through us at will second half. We seem not to be able to defend since the threat of black cards has come in.

Can understand how Derry are still 50-1 & even 5-1 for the league looks fair. Dublin at 9-4 is a shocking price.

Re Derry

Does anyone recall who won Division One in 2007?
    Does anyone remember who their manager was?
    Does anyone remember how their Championship went?

There have been some worrying signs in the League, but we still have potentially two big games to go that might show us more. And, look at our league form in each of the last three years. It hasn't been great. Maybe Division Two was a higher standard in 2011 (we finished ahead of Derry, Tyrone and Kildare, none of whom were promoted), but we were far from impressive at times.

I'm hoping to get to Croke Park to see Derry in the Division One Semi-Final. Plenty of time to analyse our chances after the league is finished for both teams.

Yeah TG4 tonight; much better coverage than league Sunday I personally feel.

Wouldn't be hard! It's good coverage, no guff, just action.

Doesn't look like there will be any Donegal action tonight however.

Wouldn't be hard! It's good coverage, no guff, just action.

Doesn't look like there will be any Donegal action tonight however.

Yeah disappointed tonight so I'll never know about that Durcan challenge. How did you read it? As was said above I'll certainly be popping in to see Derry in the semi to get a good look at them. Hopefully they win the league and we lose this relatively comfortable favourites tag with the bookies

• Advertisement

Yeah disappointed tonight so I'll never know about that Durcan challenge. How did you read it?

I didn't make it on Sunday so am really disappointed that there were no highlights. And looking at the schedule for next week, doesn't look like they will have highlights of the Armagh game either.

If you head up from Dublin and I'm heading from Maynooth we should look at sharing a lift next year....spendy business heading up just for a game and we will have four at home next year no matter what happens.

Yeah disappointed tonight so I'll never know about that Durcan challenge. How did you read it?
    To be honest, I didn't think at the time it was a foul on Durcan. I don't think anyone around me was really complaining about it either.
    I'm not sure if that local guy was there videoing it? (Cant for the life of me now remember who it is even though its on the tip of my tongue/finger!). If he was, there may be something on YouTube in the coming days.

Lacey came off at half time yesterday too with what seemed like a leg injury of some sort. He was getting some light running repairs shortly before half time but didn't hear anything today about him.

Its turning into a slight concern that he's not as prominent moving forward as he has been in recent years. I'm hoping that his injury last year hasn't taken any major toll on him. In saying that, I'd still be reasonably happy with him starting in the corner on the assumption that he's not just starting there as he's not fit to be tearing up and down the pitch anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Maybe I'm being a slight pessimist but yesterday's game was disappointing to me.

If Louth stayed in the dressing room for the first half, it couldn't have been much easier for us. They (Louth) played as poorly for the first 35 minutes as I've seen any team play for a long time. They crowded their defence which gave us the opportunities to kick some glorious long range points with the aid of a reasonably strong breeze. With their 19 men behind the ball approach, every time they tried to break, they ended up messing around with the ball on the half way line and losing it simply due to having no numbers up front.
    Even though Louth didn't show up for the first half and although we did kick a number of impressive points, it was disappointing that we didn't create any goal chances.

The second half is what's really disappointing to me. Louth seemed to change their approach to a more direct, running at us in numbers game and it worked. Although one of their goals was as a result of a shocking short kick out by Durcan, they had numerous opportunities for goal chances simply by running at us in numbers.

On a side note, I've no idea how Ballyshannon can be classed as a county ground. It hasn't changed a bit since I played on it 20'ish odd years ago (btw, we played "uphill" in the first half!) and facilities for spectators are essentially nonexistent.

The other field was far worse. Christ. It was like running up the hill on the mainstreet!

Good to share the games about. It's the only suitable venue in South Donegal. Surely you can get more in Ballyshannon than Donegal Town? And in terms of policing and H&S they've been holding games for years so are well used to it.

I'm not sure if that local guy was there videoing it? (Cant for the life of me now remember who it is even though its on the tip of my tongue/finger!). If he was, there may be something on YouTube in the coming days.

Bradas!

Lacey came off at half time yesterday too with what seemed like a leg injury of some sort. He was getting some light running repairs shortly before half time but didn't hear anything today about him.

Bang on the knee.
    Its turning into a slight concern that he's not as prominent moving forward as he has been in recent years. I'm hoping that his injury last year hasn't taken any major toll on him. In saying that, I'd still be reasonably happy with him starting in the corner on the assumption that he's not just starting there as he's not fit to be tearing up and down the pitch anymore.

Played at midfield against Glenswilly in opening ACFL and looked good apparently - so I'd say he's fit enough for centre back at this stage. It's still not clear (to me) if he's playing corner back because:

(a) he's being 'rested'
    (b) he's not considered fit enough
    (c) he's the best man for the job while Paddy McGrath is out

Good to share the games about. It's the only suitable venue in South Donegal. Surely you can get more in Ballyshannon than Donegal Town? And in terms of policing and H&S they've been holding games for years so are well used to it.

Seriously, the ground at Inniskeen is better than either Ballyshannon or Letterkenny. I hate standing on loose stone/gravel. There should be a proper terrace.

Seriously, the ground at Inniskeen is better than either Ballyshannon or Letterkenny. I hate standing on loose stone/gravel. There should be a proper terrace.

Which is Iniskeen, Four Masters?

Won't argue with the gravel aspect. Been a while since I've been at the park at Donegal town, it has the terrace/stand is the rest concrete?

I always thought Ballyshannon was far bigger anyway though.

Which is Iniskeen, Four Masters?

Won't argue with the gravel aspect. Been a while since I've been at the park at Donegal town, it has the terrace/stand is the rest concrete?

I always thought Ballyshannon was far bigger anyway though.

Inniskeen is in the middle of nowhere in Monaghan -I was there wathcing St Eunans on Saturday morning. Much more impressive venue than Ballyshannon. The paved terrrace would trump O'Donnell Park too.

If we are going to play bigger games (i.e. league) in Ballyshannon and Letterkenny I'd rather we had a terrace on once side of the ground.

I haven't been to Four Masters since 1992 (an open training session pre the All Ireland) but I doubt it has a terrace and I'm sure Ballyshannon is bigger - did someone suggest using Dongal Town?

Inniskeen is in the middle of nowhere in Monaghan -I was there wathcing St Eunans on Saturday morning. Much more impressive venue than Ballyshannon. The paved terrrace would trump O'Donnell Park too.

If we are going to play bigger games (i.e. league) in Ballyshannon and Letterkenny I'd rather we had a terrace on once side of the ground.

I haven't been to Four Masters since 1992 (an open training session pre the All Ireland) but I doubt it has a terrace and I'm sure Ballyshannon is bigger - did someone suggest using Dongal Town?

Oh right sorry. I suggested Donegal Town as a comparison as it's really the only other potential venue in SW Donegal. I assumed Inishkeen may have been the townland Four Masters ground is in. It has a sort of covered terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Should just play all games in Ballybofey,it has the best facilities, I know not brilliant but certainly better than others, and its in the middle of the county.

Sharing round games just to keep the locals in Ballyshannon happy is nonsense in this day and age.

harpsman wrote: »
    Should just play all games in Ballybofey,it has the best facilities, I know not brilliant but certainly better than others, and its in the middle of the county.

Sharing round games just to keep the locals in Ballyshannon happy is nonsense in this day and age.

Objectively though. I'd much rather seeing the games shared about. I'm not privy to any sort of information regarding gates and have no idea about hwo their allocated but: the likes of Ballyshannon who are one of the most storied clubs in the county after Eunans and Gweedore, surely they deserve a chance to host a county game if it brings people into their town and ground etc.

I don't know if it's right what I'm saying, may be a bit communist, but if it gives the clubs a few pound and the town a few pound and also creates a wee buzz for people (kids) getting to see Donegal in their own park is it not a good thing.

Just a shame there's only Ballyshannon, Ballybofey and Letterkenny seem to be fit to host them. Could be worse, could have to go down to Glen but the GlenMen have a wee stand now anyway!

• Advertisement

Fair enough points,if a bit commie alright. On the other hand theres an argument to be made for as many people as possible being able to watch the game in comfort,seated under cover,particularly in Winter.Thats why I favour Ballybofey(nothin to do w me bein a twin towns man:D)

This is pretty much my attitude - especially since clubs/supporters were hit with the a sizeable % of the costs of funding the 'improvements' to MacCumhaill Park last summer before the Tyrone game.
    Objectively though. I'd much rather seeing the games shared about. I'm not privy to any sort of information regarding gates and have no idea about hwo their allocated but: the likes of Ballyshannon who are one of the most storied clubs in the county after Eunans and Gweedore, surely they deserve a chance to host a county game if it brings people into their town and ground etc.

I don't know if it's right what I'm saying, may be a bit communist, but if it gives the clubs a few pound and the town a few pound and also creates a wee buzz for people (kids) getting to see Donegal in their own park is it not a good thing.

Just a shame there's only Ballyshannon, Ballybofey and Letterkenny seem to be fit to host them. Could be worse, could have to go down to Glen but the GlenMen have a wee stand now anyway!

I can see where you are coming from and there are some good points there. The only issue I would have is with 'storied clubs' - I don't think this should have any bearing on hosting a County match.

Fair enough points,if a bit commie alright. On the other hand theres an argument to be made for as many people as possible being able to watch the game in comfort,seated under cover,particularly in Winter.Thats why I favour Ballybofey(nothin to do w me bein a twin towns man:D)

haha! Didn't even clock the name there harpsman. Aye, can see why you'd be plumping for MacCumhail's alright! :D

For anyone who was interested in going, the Ulster U-21 Semi-Final where Donegal play Armagh has been moved to Breffni Park with an 8.30pm throw-in.

For anyone who was interested in going, the Ulster U-21 Semi-Final where Donegal play Armagh has been moved to Breffni Park with an 8.30pm throw-in.

And concrete all round!

8.30 throw in?? Are we in Spain now?:)
    Mighta gone but workin bit later on a Wed. Best o luck to lads. I ll defo be there if they get to final!

Roll on the days when Sky Sports showing all these games:D

I didn't make it on Sunday so am really disappointed that there were no highlights. And looking at the schedule for next week, doesn't look like they will have highlights of the Armagh game either.

If you head up from Dublin and I'm heading from Maynooth we should look at sharing a lift next year....spendy business heading up just for a game and we will have four at home next year no matter what happens.

Yeah very good point; it wud be rare I'd miss a game and its prob 60e on petrol alone! I sometimes try plan a weekend at home around the games to ease the driving a little. On a side note heading to Portlaoise to watch Meath Dublin and it would be a great boost to our u21s and the rest if Meath could spring a surprise.

Yeah very good point; it wud be rare I'd miss a game and its prob 60e on petrol alone! I sometimes try plan a weekend at home around the games to ease the driving a little. On a side note heading to Portlaoise to watch Meath Dublin and it would be a great boost to our u21s and the rest if Meath could spring a surprise.

Good man. When our game was moved to Cavan I seriously thought about going but a few things got the better of me, including the time shift to 8.30.

Will follow via Twitter and get a bit on Highland. Hate the way they don't just carry the game but instead jump in and out and then essentially leave it after 9pm.

Donegal leading 7-4 at half time. Both sides missing chances. Poor conditions by the sounds of it. Armagh without Ethan Rafferty who is a big enough loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Donegal leading 7-4 at half time. Both sides missing chances. Poor conditions by the sounds of it. Armagh without Ethan Rafferty who is a big enough loss.

Conditions are brutal everywhere tonight. Breffni should be in good keep though. If ye make it through, it's a repeat of last year's final.

Advertisement