Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I don't disagree, but one game on a heavy pitch doesn't really give any indication of Championship form. Way to early to be picking a Championship 15 at this point IMHO. We have no idea what to expect from Paddy McGrath or indeed Eamon McGee. Martin McElhinney and Rory Kavanagh have been playing well, but Neil has been one of our more consistent players and is our best fielder.

Recall as well that when Rory went off, Monaghan had also changed their midfield pairing - Finlay and Doogan had no impact in the first half. K Hughes and Dick the Hash had more of an effect.

We need to keep in mind as well that the standard of opposition we have faced so far, including the Monaghan team that started yesterday is not really a good feel for what we will face at the height of the Championship.

So far, I think it's fair to say that Toye and MacNiallais look like they will give us a bit more than Wherrity and Bradley. Other than that, I'm not prepared to make too many calls as to how we will look come May.
    Sure im only killin time. Agree with you re Gallagher-we did lose control of midfield at that point but Monaghans midfield improved and also Durkan was kickin it out into the wind at that point which makes it harder to win possession. I think unless he has a disastrous loss of fitness/form big Neil still a must-even at less than 100% when he came on in the Ulster final he made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

To be honest, I was slightly disappointed at how things panned out on Sunday. Apart from the goals, we had a poor return in the first half considering how much possession we had anhow we dominated the half.
    It was a slightly closer affair in the second half without Monaghan really threatening to get too close to really threaten us. They did however get through far too easily for a few points which would be a slight concern if it happens over the summer.

I thought that the man running with the ball was left isolated far too often and we kicked away possession far too easily and carelessly over the course of the game. I've been disappointed with Leo McLoone and feel that he may (rightly based on form so far) struggle to nail down a spot come May.

In saying all that, when we had good spells, they were very good spells but I do feel that the bad spells would be punished in a major way once we get into championship season. It is only early in the year though so I'll save my panic attack for a later date!

We do have a problem with mobility at midfield particularly when Kav and Neil Gallagher are in there together. A lot of Durcans kickouts were also going astray on Sunday which to be fair to him, is fairly unusual.
    I do feel that McElhinney will be a big addition to the midfield over the summer.

The real bright spark over these few league games so far has been Odhran MacNiallais. As some guy said put very simply behind me on Sunday, "that lad is a real footballer"!
    McBrearty's cameo's have also been encouraging and the ease and lack of fuss about nonchalantly kicking points from long range has been very impressive.

Also, even though I had my doubts before the match, congrats to St Eunans for orchestrating the day well. I really thought pre & post-match would be a disaster due to the crowds but it seems to have passed off very well. Theres also nothing quite like a dirty rotten day to get people into a ground early.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Theres also nothing quite like a dirty rotten day to get people into a ground early.:D

Aye! Half 12 the brother was in there at. Wouldn't get him at a game he's playing in that early!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Team for Sunday sees one change - E McGee coming in for Lacey. Jim says Lacey will feature at some stage. Paddy McBrearty 'definitely out' after injuring a quad in an U-21 challenge match against Galway on Sunday evening. No more on Frank McGlynn despite the fact he didn't look in great shape coming off on Sunday. This all via the Democrat on Twitter

1. Paul Durcan
    2. Eamon McGee
    3. Neil McGee
    4. Frank McGlynn
    5. Ryan McHugh
    6. Leo McLoone
    7 . Anthony Thompson
    8. Rory Kavanagh
    9. Martin McElhinney
    10. Mark McHugh
    11. Chirsty Toye
    12. Odhran MacNiallais
    13. Colm McFadden
    14. Michael Murphy
    15. Dermot Molloy

Odd that we are so quick to name a team this week and as far as I know, one didn't appear at all last week.

I'd like to see Declan Walsh get a run at 6 at some stage in the League. Don't think he was great in the McKenna Cup, but I'd still like to see for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'd like to see Declan Walsh get a run at 6 at some stage in the League. Don't think he was great in the McKenna Cup, but I'd still like to see for myself.

Agreed. I'm not sure McLoone is working out as a center back and I've always liked Walsh as a defender. I suppose the way the game has changed means 6 isn't so much a defender these days so it probably boils down as much to which player carries the ball better out of defence as it does to which player is a better defender - but even there McLoone has disappointed so far based on the reports from the League matches (especially around carrying the ball into tackles rather than letting it off). It would be nice to see Walsh given a go alright.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm not sure McLoone is working out as a center back and I've always liked Walsh as a defender. I suppose the way the game has changed means 6 isn't so much a defender these days so it probably boils down as much to which player carries the ball better out of defence as it does to which player is a better defender - but even there McLoone has disappointed so far based on the reports from the League matches (especially around carrying the ball into tackles rather than letting it off). It would be nice to see Walsh given a go alright.
    Still think McLoones a better footballer than Walsh to play at 6. Still see Walsh as a corner back at that level.

So Frank McGlynn and David Walsh trained on Tuesday. It would be good to see David back in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

So Frank McGlynn and David Walsh trained on Tuesday. It would be good to see David back in action.

Yeah David Walsh great squad player sooner back the better!
    As for the other discussions about Leo; I'm prepared to give him another few games there before but I'm still not entirely convinced it will work out. Could Frank at 6 be a long term option? Eamon taking his place or eamon into corner and karl back out. Few options emerging which is great!

Maybe Frank or Anthony could play at 6. Thompson looks ideal for centre back based on his physique. Another option is Luke Keaeny but doubt we'll see it this year.

*exhales deeply*

Didn't think we'd get anything there towards the end. Good display of character when it wasn't going right.

Murphy is so reliable when push comes to shove it's almost joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

yep good to have a proper battle under the belt...

bit mystified as to what the plan was for kick outs when they vacated midfield, i assume its have a forward come back to claim it and lay it off to an attacking half back but didnt seemed to fail miserably. thought meath were full value for their 5pt lead at that stage.

although got pretty annoyed with the ref around mchughs black card, it was but there was 3 others within a few minutes either side that all went unpunished, mcfadden being dragged down off the ball (missed goal chance) particularly when he had acknowledged it.

thought mark mchugh was one of the better players first half, did a good job when often left exposed, often seen him screaming from kickouts where he was stuck between 3 meath players
    toye had a great second half

Well then, where to start.

We were very poor in the first half. But, as has happened in every game so far, we got a goal and that got us back in the game.

We led on only two occasions - the initial score and then with around ten minutes to go. But, we created a host of good chances in the second half but our finishing was very poor at times. Meath played very defensively in the second half - that's not a criticism, just an observation - all 15 green jerseys were in their own half at times.

Biggest issue, aside from the missed chances, was our kickouts. What on earth were we doing? We seemed to be making an effort to create lots of space, but then nobody was running into the space, save for maybe two times when Murphy managed to get free, but Meath were able to negate this by dropping a man back. Durcan didn't look like he knew what he was doing, or his execution was very poor.

Christy had a good game. Created several turnovers, scored two points. Can play a nice pass. Looked like he was struggling towards the end, but as Jim says, the pitch was heavy (and this is an issue at this time of the year). Hopefully when the ground hardens up Christy might find it easier going.

Jigger showed well when he came on, tackled hard, but he failed to convert either of the two chances he created for himself. We missed Paddy McBrearty today, given that he has contributed at least two points from the bench in each game so far.

Ryan McHugh had a good game, although he gave away a free due to an extremely poor/lazy attempt to tackle and he was clearly at fault for his black card. Some of his brother's distribution was very poor. He probably improved a bit in the second half.

Ok, Leo McLoone was solid enough on the ball today, but a further weakness was exposed - his tackling is shocking. Not good enough for centre half back at this level.

MacNiallais and Brick were only ok at best and both were subbed. Good to see David Walsh back in action and he did ok.

Leading in injury time, Meath will be disappointed that they didn't hold on to win. Fair play to Donegal for sticking with it, but honestly, Meath gave us every chance to get the draw.

Great score under pressure from Murphy to get the draw, but second game in a row he hasn't scored from play. Is this an issue? I dunno.

Refwatch - Hughes was a bit of a bollix to be honest. In saying that, I had no issue with Ryan McHugh's black card.

Tl;dr? Donegal not great, Meath average.

Ok, Leo McLoone was solid enough on the ball today, but a further weakness was exposed - his tackling is shocking. Not good enough for centre half back at this level.
    ah knew i was missing something, yea had y doubts last week, but this week i thought mcloone was badly exploited at times. its was all too easy for meath and he was probably with weakest point.

as much as i moaned about the ref there (and mchughs black card was correct, dont think i said that), both had chances to win it, and it sort of feels left behind after all the work to get back into it

As an aside, the PA man in Ballybofey is a disaster.

As an aside, the PA man in Ballybofey is a disaster.
    ah yes.... leon thompson from mcCumhails i think he said.... or have i badly overlooked something?

overshoot wrote: »
    ah yes.... leon thompson from mcCumhails i think he said.... or have i badly overlooked something?

Yeah - that was the start of it. And seeing how as it was Eamon Doherty who was brought in, it could also have in fact been Marty O'Reilly of MacCumhaills who was missing....On it went for the rest of the afternoon - stupid pronunciation, starting to announce a sub and then stopping etc etc etc.

First world problems but how difficult a job can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Yeah - that was the start of it. And seeing how as it was Eamon Doherty who was brought in, it could also have in fact been Marty O'Reilly of MacCumhaills who was missing....On it went for the rest of the afternoon - stupid pronunciation, starting to announce a sub and then stopping etc etc etc.

First world problems but how difficult a job can it be?
    And forgetting to turn the mic of at times you could hear the conversations in the background.
    agree the point mcloone cant tackle but i also thought a lot of other players missed tackles today at times it seemed they were feared to tackle, maybe cant get the heads around the black card not sure but as allready said here glad to see a tight contest and showed real resolve to get back in it.

Very disappointed; far too pedestrian in first 20minutes and left ourselves with too much to do. Thank god Frank somehow got a goal from there. Midfield, as people have said, was just plain baffling as were the kickouts especially the one in 2nd half he kicked 10yards to corner forward. Thought Hughes was an absolute bleep and 2 big decisions missed by linesman on our side which actually led to Meath getting scores. Galway winning a great result and could be that 9pts sees us up. What was free for at end as cudn make it out and missed league Sunday? And as people said the Leo experiment not working out as too many weaknesses exposed today especially 2 awful weak challenges which I'm pretty sure points were scored from.

Interesting table now with us on 7 and Down,Armagh and Monaghan on 5. We were dead certs for promotion last week but now vey slight doubt over it. Mind you Id be dissappointed if we didnt win well against Louth and win at least one of the away games.
    Even if we did lose those 9 points might be enough with our points difference.
    Couldnt make game today but hard Martin McHugh on Highland saying he was worried about the air of complacency around the place-turned out to be right.
    Hopefully they will buck up next week and beat Down.

Anyone have any updates on Paddy McGrath and an expected return date?

• Advertisement

SM746 wrote: »
    Anyone have any updates on Paddy McGrath and an expected return date?

No, and it's not looking like he will have much game time before Championship. The word is he's struggling to get back to the required level of fitness.

Not a whole lot of optimism came out of today for me.

Once again, more often than not, we were very very poor in possession with support runners seemingly being an exception rather than a rule a lot of the time. Gave away a lot of cheap ball today much like last week except we were punished more for it today.

Midfield was again a major issue today which wasn't helped by Durcan's kickouts. I've no idea what was going on at times and neither did he it appeared.
    Until Neil Gallagher came on, we were lagging well behind in the MF battle winning very very few balls at first contact and even less breaking balls. After seeing us struggle so badly in relatively low level games so far, I've a bad feeling that this is an area that we will get punished in over the summer.

Another area that we seem to have gone backwards at a rate of knots in is tackling. Once more today, there were far too many points conceded by men simply brushing past token efforts at tackles. We've been renowned for our defending and tackling but the black card issue would seem to have turned us into a group that's afraid to do more than fire in a half-hearted slap at a guy as he eases past.

Apart from Toye, there wasn't really anyone who stood out. Once more, Murphy was disappointing which probably isn't helped by having to drag him out to the halfway to compensate for our lack of options in midfield. He doesn't deserve to be singled out as being poor as there were plenty others who didn't get into the game either. Its just that Murphy is an absolute beast of a full forward so its always frustrating seeing him essentially wasted out the pitch purely because we don't seem to have anyone else who can make a nuisance of themselves in midfield.

Overall, we were lucky to get a draw and didn't deserve it but as is standard this time of year, its only March, its only the league, it was a heavy pitch (apparently but we walked across it after the game and it seemed to be in remarkably good condition - I've seen heavier pitches in June) so hopefully a tough game will reap dividends for the rest of the season.

Refwatch - Hughes was a bit of a bollix to be honest. In saying that, I had no issue with Ryan McHugh's black card.
    I always hate commenting on a ref but that guy today was as bad as "himself". So inconsistent, which went against us most of the time and a lot of dodgy, soft decisions which also seemed to go against us the majority of the time. Cant comment on the final free as didn't see it due to a few hyperactive oul lads sitting across from us although a few Donegal people did comment that it was very soft which was perhaps a case of his conscience getting the better of him after his previous 70 minutes.:rolleyes:

Just to put things in a bit of perspective, the last time we were in Division Two in 2011, we drew at home to Sligo and Kildare. In 2012, we won only three games in the League and had to beat Armagh to stay up. As far as Donegal go, the League never seems to be an accurate prediction for how we will perform in the Championship. Even in 2013, as bad as we were at times in the League we still managed to put in a decent performance against Tyrone before the wheels started to come off.

A lot of things weren't great today, but we didn't let the game get away from us. It was a more challenging game than Monaghan last weekend as Meath were better organised and came with something to prove after their recent defeats. I'm just glad we didn't lose after spending six hours in the car.

Look at some of the scores in Division One - defences don't seem be be playing well across the board. Today we conceded more than any other game so far this year in Division Two, but by and large, we've done ok, despite some of the dodgy tackling.

On the kickouts - let's assume for a minute that we were trying something that is still very much a work in progress. And that we need Neil Gallagher in there when faced with big men like Meath had today.

^^^ The above is accurate which is where my "its only the league" comment comes from. Its also pretty difficult to know whats going on behind the scenes at this time of year that will impact a performance on a Sunday as there may have been a complete bitch of a week in training or new things being trialled as you say.
    Its still early in the year so I wouldn't worry too much about one-off bad performances but its when basic issues are being highlighted consistently over a few games that I would get a little nervous at what lies ahead.

In saying that, my optimism ratings do fluctuate greatly over a season as I admit to being a fully paid up member of both the Get Carried Away With Things Club and the This is Shockingly Bad-Can It Get Any Worse? club. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Its also pretty difficult to know whats going on behind the scenes at this time of year that will impact a performance on a Sunday as there may have been a complete bitch of a week in training or new things being trialled as you say.
    That was my thoughts as well. Derry are flying it in Division 1 so McGuinness will be under no illusion of the task ahead of us in May - especially as Derry will looking to avenge the previous two defeats to Donegal in the championship and are at home. Donegal will need to really be prepared for it so it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some pretty hard training going on at the minute and probably some new things being tried out as well.
    That said, it seems widely accepted that McLoone isn't working out as a number 6 so it would be nice to see someone else tried out there. What do people think about trying Eamonn McGee out there? He has the attributes of a good 6 - good physical presence, good distribution with the ball and a good tackler. The only thing he might lack is the forward drive that many 6s offer these days. I still expect Lacey to start at 6 against Derry but it would be nice to see someone else make a claim for it.

That was my thoughts as well. Derry are flying it in Division 1 so McGuinness will be under no illusion of the task ahead of us in May - especially as Derry will looking to avenge the previous two defeats to Donegal in the championship and are at home.

Their league form is a plus for us. We all know they're a good side with a very good manager. Derry in Celtic Park will be no easy game no matter how good or bad they are.

We're going into it now with our eyes wide open. I wouldn't have any concerns about Jim or that but there could be a malaise in the county expecting to waltz through the tie, that attitude can be very dangerous.

I think we'll be well tuned and focused come the last weekend of May.

I always hate commenting on a ref but that guy today was as bad as "himself". So inconsistent, which went against us most of the time and a lot of dodgy, soft decisions which also seemed to go against us the majority of the time. Cant comment on the final free as didn't see it due to a few hyperactive oul lads sitting across from us although a few Donegal people did comment that it was very soft which was perhaps a case of his conscience getting the better of him after his previous 70 minutes.:rolleyes:

The final free was given when Mickey Newman jumped in to grab a 'hop ball' where he wasn't one of the designated contestants. Was a pretty clear infringment. Can't recall excatly what led to the hop ball - was it a possession that was going nowhere or did Meath delay or foul a sideline ball or a free kick?

Either way, Meath can only blame themselves given the chance they kicked into Durcan's hands when it was easier to knock it over the bar for a two point lead.

That said, it seems widely accepted that McLoone isn't working out as a number 6 so it would be nice to see someone else tried out there. What do people think about trying Eamonn McGee out there? He has the attributes of a good 6 - good physical presence, good distribution with the ball and a good tackler. The only thing he might lack is the forward drive that many 6s offer these days. I still expect Lacey to start at 6 against Derry but it would be nice to see someone else make a claim for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing E McGee tried there. In thinking more on it, Thompson's turn of pace mightn't be good enough for centre back.

McGlynn N NcGee Lacey
    Thompson E McGee R McHugh

That's the defence I would like to see play for the next few games assuming Paddy McGrath is still out.

• Advertisement

The final free was given when Mickey Newman jumped in to grab a 'hop ball' where he wasn't one of the designated contestants. Was a pretty clear infringment. Can't recall excatly what led to the hop ball - was it a possession that was going nowhere or did Meath delay or foul a sideline ball or a free kick?

Either way, Meath can only blame themselves given the chance they kicked into Durcan's hands when it was easier to knock it over the bar for a two point lead.

Yea hop ball was for time wasting during the sideline ball in the corner

Advertisement