Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

from McDanger on the other thread

Assuming that the remaining provincial matches proceed according to
    the bookies' odds, this is roughly what the seeding will look like:

1st seeds:
    Derry
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Galway

2nd seeds:
    Armagh
    Louth
    Clare
    Mayo

3rd seeds:
    Tyrone
    Donegal
    Roscommon
    Monaghan

4th seeds:
    Meath
    Cavan
    Cork
    Westmeath

If defeated at the weekend, Donegal will not be in a group with Derry, so one of the Kerry, Dublin or Galway. They could be in with Armagh or Mayo, but also a 50/50 chance of Louth or Clare which would be less intimidating. Then one of the 4th seeds, I'd expect Donegal to beat any of them easily, except perhaps Cork might rise their game.

So a preliminary quarter final is pretty much guaranteed, then it depends on who you draw. If Donegal ended up with Galway, Clare and Westmeath then they could top the round robin and go straight into the QFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing to stop any Seed 3 and 4 being drawn with Derry. If Derry finish up as a Seed 1 or 2. Like last year it could be a group with 3 from Ulster. Derry, Clare, Monaghan and Donegal. Derry had already beaten Monaghan at the Semi Final stage in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No EBG or McColgan in the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I have a feeling we may see some changes between now and throw-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

J McGee and B McCole for the 2 Dohertys

Hopefully McColgan for McGuinness in the subs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Looking forward to the game, also looking forward to the Derry v Tyrone semi final next sunday in Armagh I assume. It actually takes me longer to get to Celtic Park than it does to the Athletic grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

can't see it, it'll be Derry v Cavan i think. more than likley played Omagh

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Comical performance. I just had to sit back and laugh near the end. Does winning an All Ireland even mean as much if you aren't Ulster champions? Mickey Harte would know.

Been a long time since I enjoyed a game as much as that one. Derry might yet go further than we will, but no 3 in a row for them anyway.

Mighty Donegal support. Great to see it.

The Kinnegar tasting extra good tonight. Not the perfect performance but so much to be happy with.

Up Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

properly surprised lynch was never moved from his position for our kickouts. Expected McGuinness to have a trick or 2 for the game but once exploited you’d think Harte would have sat him deeper at least. Seen clerkins/times headline of “lynch embarrassed” but for me it’s absolute management there, he stood where he was told second half. How do you not half that talk half time?

Was the difference in the game in the end. Don’t think Harte will be too worried of a few weeks off though. His focus wasn’t Ulster. We had that intensity of tackle, defence, counter that you’d expect from a McGuinness team… see how all goes now next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Brilliant performance & result on Saturday evening back to Celtic Park to face the old enemy.. Hard to judge were Tyrone are at… hopefully no injury concerns on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

When you see the efforts year after year Harte has put into winning the McKenna Cup and Derry`s quick collection of the Division One League trophy to head to the dressing rooms and home for me made the three in a row Ulster title very much a focus for him and Derry.

That would have them 1st seeded team, whereas now they are on the backroad of qualifiers needing to change their tactics or face the risk of another side shreeding them as we did at the weekend. It`s not where Harte or Derry wanted to be after the first round of the championship. They are still good enough to make the final stages, but after sweeping all before them this year, Saturday will have done there confidence no good.

We put a lot of energy into beating Derry and Tyrone being mindful of that seemed to take their foot off the gas against Cavan and ended up expending as much if not more energy than we did and with a day less to prepare. We will go in as the bookies favourites, but this is championship and as Saturday showed means nothing. Baring injuries I would see it as a 50/50 game that we should hopefully edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭sob1467

Donegal Tyrone confirmed for Celtic Park in Derry again on Sunday at 2pm. Would Clones not have made more sense? A lot of us couldn't get tickets for last Saturday and will probably be in the same boat next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

any word on Eoin Ban? And what’s the story with Conor o Donnell this year? He gone travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Have a stand adult and juvenile for Sunday's game to sell for face value if anyone looking. Send me a PM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Jizique

Can't see Jim being impressed with that level of dedication

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭sob1467

There are a few available here: https://www.ticketmaster.ie/ulster-senior-football-championship-semi-final-donegal-v-tyrone-derry-28-04-2024/event/3800609692FD0B49

• Advertisement

No surprises in the team named, although not sure Paddy will start?

No McColgan anywhere.

Hope no complacency after last weekend. Hard to see it given the history and McGuinness. But if it's in supporters it can seep into team. At least the short turnaround and so many other matches means less time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Whatever happened to Conor O Donnell from last year? Has he been injured or does he not get into the team anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Poorest first half of football by Donegal this year. Tyrone have their number so far. McBrearty not at the races. So much poor decision making. Not looking good. McGuinness needs to work his magic now. We never play well with a wet ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hugely improved second half. Thought O'Donnell played really well and McGee with the two points. Energy levels are incredible. Roll on Ulster final.

Well that was some game.

Thought we were done for more than once. But opposition did not have the energy or courage to put us out of our misery.

Back in the days of the 1st McGuinness era, few, if any, teams could kick some of the frees that were kicked against us today. Those frees, coupled with our poor shooting/decision making (under a lot of defensive pressure in fairness) was the difference. And facing a keeper who could kick the ball as well as Patten can. 1, 3, 4 and 6 on the other side were the outstanding players, but, overall we had strong contributions all over the pitch. Although before he kicked that point in extra time Paddy's value was in doubt. Gallen was very well marked.

But the way we hung in there and finished the stronger was excellent. In many ways, it was the perfect way to win. Plenty to work on and will dampen down some of the loose talk after the Derry game.

Ulster Final is a 50/50 game on the pitch. Had to laugh when Michael Murphy said Armagh were 10 years into their project and Donegal are 10 minutes (or months) into theirs. Says it all about what's on the sideline.

Up Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I got a good laugh from Michael Murphy`s 10 years versus 10 months but I doubt Kieran McGeeney did.

As I said earlier in the week little or noyhing should have been talen from the Derry game as regards this one. I thought we were gone a few times. Epecially 2nd half when we brought it back from 3 down to go level for them then to go three up again. At that stage I could only see a goal saving us, but luckly Jim McGuinness is the manager and not me, and the team really showed great calm, skill, awareness and no shotage of guts not to panic and reel them in.

Some good scores and a good spread of scores, but some terrible wides. We need to sharpen up in that area. 3 dropped short by my count which were cardinal sins in McGuinness`s last reign. Especially with their keeper, and like Patton, what he can do in situations like that. Like last week we had free moved foeward to scoreable areas due to mouthing at the ref. Not only are they stupid they can be disheartening to the rest of the team. I don`t like criticising a player, especially after the shift they all put in today, but in extra time Paddy McBrearty kicked a scoreable wide from a free that to me was a kick for a right footed player. In fairness he later made up for it big time, so perhaps as captain he believed with the pressure at the time he should take the responsibility.

The real joy for me with this game, (and I could not give a rat`s arse if neutrals didn`t find it entertaining), is that we are not a one trick pony team and management that some were suggesting we were after the Derry game. We were in a totally different game today under serious pressure at times and both thought and fought our way to win. Especially after half time by the players themselves on the pitch. It`s a long time since we have done that.

Yeah, could not understand why Paddy took that free unless Oisin turned it down (hopefully not injured....).

In fairness to Paddy, he's not a confidence player. Whatever has gone before the final shot seems to be irrelevant.

oisin gone off at that stage. It started as a right footers free but by the time paddy was finished moving it it was in front of the posts😀. Still didn’t fancy it. Fair play to the lads they dug deep today and gradually wore them down. I didn’t see us winning it until extra time when I thought we’d have the legs on them as Tyrone seemed to be able to pick off scores much easier than us. In fairness that Hampsey black card last week was worth a few scores to us. In a game like today’s we’d need the likes of Thompson and langan kicking a couple of points from distance but that’s easier said than done under pressure. Anyway great win and the fact it was such a war of attrition should calm the hype a bit as well

someone told me he was in Australia? He would add a lot. Fine player. Eoin Bans pace would be a big help if Armagh go with the same tactics

• Advertisement

Aye, just seeing now Oisin went off. I wasn't there and BBC weren't great at showing the subs but there was a lot of it going on. Maybe I remember him coming off but the tension was too much for me!

Advertisement