Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would put a collar on both Patton and Mulreany that would give both an electric shock if they either set a foot outside the 20 metre line.

The Cork management mentioning the wind as being a factor was them trying to make the best of a bad performance. It micht have died down for the second half but even playing against it we outscored them 1-08 to 1-03.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So Patton and Gallen named to start. Langan on the bench with EBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Was the EBG injury a result of a collision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Good win in Cavan. Meath and Kildare don’t look up to much. You would expect to beat Louth and Fermanagh so all going to plan a couple of phoney wars against Armagh.

good to see langan and mcmenamin back. Struggle at midfield by the sounds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Typical Ulster contest …Cavan we’re certainly paying extra attention to Ryan & Oisin …Good to see Stephen Mc Menamin back we need him in these physical battles … Cavan dominated us at midfield particularly on their own kick out, while Patton’s kicking was excellent always finding his man.Ryan was coolness personified when game needed to be closed out. Ciaran Thompson really grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Some baffling calls by the ref. But 2 points of the road is a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 crazyfool

I have 2 tickets for the Donegal v Fermanagh game if anyone wants them? Free to a good home. Can’t make Letterkenny on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Another good result on Saturday first half we looked very sluggish 2nd half really upped our game substitutes all made a positive impact. Fine outing by Daire O Baoill, Brendan Mc Cole done a good job shadowing Ultan Kelm. No doubt this Sunday will be a bigger test of where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is the Donegal game being shown live on anything today?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

That'll do nicely, thanks.

• Advertisement

Hard to know what to make of that game. Probably should have won. Armagh finished with a stronger team than when they started.

Our attack looked laboured enough at times, we didn't play with enough pace. Maybe that was deliberate.

Too many sloppy turnovers. Like we saw in Cavan. Defence played well.

Ciaran Moore looks like an excellent addition. Brilliant block and then worked hard to prevent a 45.

But happy enough with a draw. Both teams should be meeting again in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I enjoyed the game on Sunday. We’re definitely going in the right direction. McGonigle is now a key player for us at centre back. He was excellent on Sunday. Ryan and Paddy are rejuvenated. McCole continues to impress too. However Farrah looked like he was carrying a knock and midfield is a concern without Jason. From what I’ve heard he’s unlikely to make the Derry match.

The first twenty minutes of the second half we were excellent and blew Armagh off the pitch. However we didn’t make it count on the scoreboard. The goal chance in particular was the result of an excellent interchange where we carved them open. We needed more composure with the finish. Yet again we missed a penalty. Our record with penalties is very poor.

We are clearly fitter than we have been in a long time. We have a new level of intensity. I think that we are playing in a manner at the moment that is giving nothing away tactically to opposition. There was no innovation in our kick outs for example.

There is much to be optimistic about.

Drop me a message if anyone wants my ticket for the game tomorrow. Have an U16 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Hi Folks, maybe it's an age thing but I still can't figure out how we qualify for the last 16 of the All Ireland series. We have the tough opening Ulster Quarter Final clash v Derry, they're flying at the moment despite the loss to Dublin. If they beat us what route do we have into the Championship & avoid The Tailteann Cup, apologies if this has come up before but from what I've seen has me totally confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Donegal will definitely finish in the top four of Division 2 so will definitely be in the All Ireland series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

one of us Derry, Tyrone will make the final, likely Monaghan from the other side… but let’s assume not and say a team behind us. (So 1 d1 Ulster side)

The odds of Kerry, Dublin not being in finals highly unlikely. Connacht final, say Sligo shock Galway, mayo or ros… will be in the final.

so 4 division 1 make provincial finals. 4 teams from below us as a worst case. Meath in as tailteann cup leaves 7 championship spots for the league… for teams not already qualified.

that leaves all d1 teams and third in d2 making it (assuming Meath finish below this and don’t make Leinster)… the bookies would give some serious odds for us not to make the championship

Only able to listen to the game today. Sounded like a poor enough performance but goal broke the game open and at the end of the day, we are now top of the table and one more win ensures promotion. I watched Kildare today and shame on us if we lose to them.

Hopefully McCole not too bad, seems be had a boot on. It's a bit concerning we haven't seen McColgan, McGee, Niall O'Donnell yet. We need a bit more experience on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Solid league campaign. The next two games won’t be a priority for Jim. The players are in for a rough couple of weeks training.

As an aside where are the McGeehin defenders gone? They were stinking up this thread last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Probably not a lot learned from the win yesterday as Kildare were desperately poor and looked like a team just trying to avoid a hiding. At a few points in the first half all 30 players, including Patton, were in the Kildare half. That said a number of players looked good, especially Mogan who had a great game. We took our scores very well, I think 16 of the 17 points were from play and the other was a mark. The referee awarded us a free in the Kildare half during the second half to cheers from the crowd! Apart from a few poor choices, by and large we worked the scoring opportunities well and the kicking accuracy was very impressive. Good to have Langan motoring well again too.

All focus will switch to Derry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

In other good news. Donegal finally have an overdue new website.

• Advertisement

Good to see Niall O'Donnell and Caolan McColgan back. And a good spread of scorers again. Hopefully nothing serious for Ryan and Paddy.

Hard to know how much we will have learned from this campaign but good to get promoted, good to be unbeaten and good to get some new faces in and see some more experienced heads back.

Any time we have played in Division 2 Finals in the past, Jim has taken them pretty seriously. Although, more time before Championship then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Any manager would want to keep a winning sequence going, especially with championship just around the corner, and we are not so high and mighty to turn our noses up a Div 2 trophy. On the other hand we have Derry 3 weeks afterwards, still a fair number out from injury and two more picking up injuries in what was a dead rubber yesterday. Armagh are in a much better position in that going into next weeks final, even if the pick up a few knocks, it would still be difficult not to see them making the Ulster Final from their from their group.

Personally I would be happy to see league trophies just given to the top team where nowadays there are so many championship games coming thick and fast on top of each other. Whatever Jim decides to do next week I`m not going to knock it one way or the other. He has certainly brought on lads, and we now have a much greater number of scorers that need watching. I still have doubts about our defense, but I look on it as a work in practice and no better man to fine tune it than Jim.

The extra game would help by having some of those younger lads playing in Croke Park in a winner takes all game as well as maybe getting game time into some of the walking wounded. Good to see O`Donnell and McColgan back and both looking sharp and hopefully the two injuries yesterday were not too serious. I have knocked Ryan in the past, more for where he was being played rather than for his abilities, but he has been very good this year and the bit of a break looks to have re-energised him.

From the 1-15, not sure Caulfield will start. Assume either McMenamin or MacCeallbhui (or both) will come in.

Good to see Jason McGee among the subs.

Feels like we are missing too many to get the win today. Hope we give it a go and no more injuries. And when they start the usual fight, we don't get too involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Superb resilience today. Thought that they had thrown it away. Have to say that the defence put in a great shift. The softness of old gone I hope. Great scores in the end. Some poor shot selection at times shooting with right on right side and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

agreed, we look much better defensively and the improvement in the tackle is massive.

Hopefully we get the few injuries clear up in time for Derry. Not sure we are at Derrys level but would always back jim to have a plan, going to be a hell of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Watching the Derry-Dublin game I'd say were one or two years away from that level. If we can keep it tight until the last 15 you never know.

When you look at the 15 on the field at the end, what a win. Ciaran Moore, what an addition.

Derry though, it will be a massive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The Uachtarán seemed a wee bit disappointed that Armagh lost when he was presenting the cup.

Well folks, 2 requests re tickets for Saturday

I have a seat but would happily swap for standing if anyone interested

And, if anyone has any ticket to sell, I know if someone looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I would also take 3 tickets, if anyone has the ear of someone important.

Advertisement