Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Nothing to stop Armagh using their U 20 team. We have done the same in the past. 2013 but that was when the seniors were on holidays in Dubai afair, but the Armagh decision seems a bit strange as it is rumoured the did it because they had a challenge game arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭LilNiall

Donegal are passing the eye test so far....especially yesterday.

Looking forward to the league games now. Promotion is a must if we are to be at the level I think Jim will want us to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Jim facing an eight week suspension. Build the fence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I'm surprised at an 8 week ban considering you can bait the head of a fellow player and receive a far lesser punishment. But, I'm far more surprised at no one within the camp knew the rule that a 17yr old can't play for a senior team. We've a Glenties club man at the helm, Glenties players on the team,Glenties current county champions and a county secretary ensuring all the 'Ts' are crossed and "i's" dotted and not one of them knew the rule! Strange if you ask me!

Anyways, back to the football, there's no doubt the team look a lot fresher, hungrier, direct, intense than any game in the past 2 or 3 years. There's no question the 'McGuinness' factor is having an affect. I know it's only early days yet but the younger lads he's brought in are having an impact and showing plenty of enthusiasm. If I was to have one area of concern it's our lack of physicality. When Tyrone brought on Kilpatrick (adding to the existing 2 midfielders) and us taking off Magee, I don't think we won one long kick out. Against bigger, more physical teams this could be telling.

I wondered about thay myself or even how the Ulster Council even became aware of it. I doubt if it was from Armagh who do not seem to have much interest in the McKenna Cup, but if it was then a bit crass as they sent an U20 team to Ballybofey. For me the most likely answer is Mc Guinness himself who seemed to go out of his way to highlighted the lad had not yet played senior club. A "them all against us" can be a very useful edge at times. It did us no harm in 2012 after all the abuse we took in 2011. That said, and while I`m no fan of appealing when you are in the wrong, the very same Ulster Council highlighted that we would be foolish not to when after the league dust up with Armagh we held up our hand and took our punishment while Armagh appealed and walked away scot free. Not that it did them much good in the subsequent championship game, but then a bit of "them all against us" helped our cause on that accassion.

The problem of physicality has been there for some time, and not to disparage two fine footballers, but our two wing backs McHugh and Mogan are not the most physically intimidating of players. In a final group stage game against Mayo in Castlebar Mayo targeted McHugh`s position at wing back and made hay. Two years ago in the Ulster Semi Cavan did the same and although we beat them (lucky enough to do so imo) they still got a lot of joy from the tactic. Ulster Final Derry did it and it again caused us serious problems. But then McGuinness is tactically astute so hopefully we will not see a recurrence. Delighted with the young lads. A good attitude and willingness as well as no lacking of talent which can only strengthen the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

As expected, ban overturned on appeal. Interestingly the statement released said "the county secretary has been informed that the alleged infraction was not proven". How can it not be proven? The rule seems straightforward and his DOB can't be in any doubt so seems strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought that odd myself, I presume it is something to do with knowingly fielding an under age player or something like that. Wasn't aware of the rule myself, knew there was something about U-20 players not allowed to play senior, but not that one. Then again, I'm not on the County Board or a management team!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Like the Armagh match, can't take much from today's match against Monaghan.

We do look sharp and it seems like we are more willing to tackle/engage.

Will be interesting to see how we approach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there is no doubting the man's ability to manage a team or even convince a team to do battle , i think its just the type of management ye need at the moment given the county board stuff

when it comes to the next level stuff i would question big jim , but his motivation stuff has got him some big gigs around the world , i have no doubt ye will be back in division 1 next year and ultra competitive again in ulster

On his past record he has no problem taking teams to the next level. We were a shambles when he took over in 2011 and put a bit of structure to us and then going to the next level winning the Senior All Ireland in 2012.

I doubt Jim Gavin would question his abality to take a team to the next level after the masterclass of the 2014 semi final which stopped the very real likelihood of Dublin doing 8 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

he's won nothing anywhere since the 2014 Ulster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Stick the popcorn in the microwave and enjoy watching this change.

He hasn`t managed any GAA senior team club or county since 2014.

2011 - 2014 he managed Donegal to 4 Ulster Finals winning 3, plus winning a Senior AI in 2012 and got Donegal to the AI final in 2014. Not a bad record by any metric.

not many positives to take from that unfortunatley

Great to see we gave nothing away.

I'm sure Jimmy was holding a few things back all right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Micheal Hegarty (Kilcar) and Paul Devlin (Kilcoo) are the new Kilcar managers according to their FB page

Enough there to give hope for the year ahead. Twelve different scorers bodes well. Two goals that will give Jim plenty to discuss in the post match analysis.

Is that the first time three Nauls lads have started for the county?

Hard to know what to make of it. An impressive score for January without our best forward. Don't know if many other sides we meet will be as open. Good to see Ryan McHugh motoring again. I still think he isn't a proper wing back, neither is Mogan.

Hopefully more if a test in Cavan next week but Armagh might be the Only Senior opposition in this Division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Wandered in here to see the chat ahead of next weekend. It’s hard to know what you’ll get from us. We were disappointing last season & Galligan is a new manager. We had a good result yesterday but it was the first day of the League so hard to tell.

We’re still relying on the core of the team that won the 2020 Ulster final, along with having McVeety back & promising younger players like Lynch & Oisin Brady emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I’m wondering how the club championship will be affected by Jim getting the most out of those selected for the intercounty squad. Probably St Eunans and Naomh Conaill will put greater distance between themselves and the rest, but I’d imagine a few who’ve not committed are getting nudged in order to bring the gains back to their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

good to see i am not the only one that regards sam mcguire teams as senior teams , and tailtenn cup teams as intermediate , 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Good to see some intensity back especially in the tackle. Every player trying to contribute and impact the game not just taking up space on the field. McHugh was involved a lot. Will be interesting to see what effect he will have against a better set up team. Cork normally don't travel that well as was shown today. Looking forward to the other games especially the Armagh match which should have some real edge to it.

Tbh the focus in Donegal is really on ourselves. Last year was a disaster but we feel we have underperformed for a number of years. We are seeing green shoots but there is nobody getting carried away. The belief in the county is that we have the players to be competitive. If we’re not there will be no excuses because we have the best possible man in charge.

Cavan in Breffni is always a challenge. We will probably be missing our marquee forward and first choice midfield. Jim has always used the league to experiment and I would expect that to continue as he tries different combinations. We won’t be getting carried away if we win nor will it be a doomsday scenario if we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭thebronze14

Funny game. I thought we were in a spot of bother in the first half only being 6 up. Wind died in the second and Cork didn't come out of the dressing room and we were easy winners. Going forward we still look as good as anyone, at the back we still look lightweight and this will cost us in the business end I reckon. Good start though against one of the supposedly better teams

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Haha.."Nobody getting carrier away...". No knowledgeable people getting carrier away but if you were to ask the buck on the street, they'd tell you Sam is coming home. Still, great to see the energy and excitement about the place.

Thought Cork were very poor yesterday. That type of performance is worthy of relegation. I don't think the wind had as big a factor as they (Cork management) are making out. Simple fact is, they had no intensity or drive. For some of our long range points there wasn't a Cork player within 5 metres of our guys.

Not a big fan of the sweeper keeper. When it goers bad, it generally goes horribly wrong as demonstrated yesterday and in Kerry. It's fine if you have a keeper that's used to playing out field but neither Patton nor Mulreany inspire confidence in this aspect.

I didn't notice McGee nor Langan with the squad yesterday. Any truth to the rumour they fell foul off disciplinary measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FreeChocco

I hear Patton, Gallen and Langan are likely back for the Cavan game.

First game can be deceptive but Kildare and Meath mightn't be promotion contenders. Meath badly tailed off after a good start last year, ended up 3rd from bottom and eventually in the Tailteann cup.

• Advertisement

Difficult to know where Meath are right now. They are the only Division 2 side guaranteed a Sam Maguire spot by winning the Tailteann Cup so looking to just avoid relegation and looking more at having a good good run in the championship might be more their focus.

Cavan looked good for it being an away game for them but then it was an away game for Kildare as well and with Kildare it has always been impossible to judge where they are at from one dy to the next.

Armagh`s result at home didn`t look great, but then Louth may have been as much to do with that as Armagh looking off.

Advertisement