Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Jeez these last two weeks haven't been good for the heart

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If we get knocked out by a Rory Gallagher team this year, I would not be surprised.
    Great performance by McBrearty, another wonder goal from Langan and good to see O Donnell looking very comfortable in the first team.
    Some nice runs from a few different players to get into goal scoring positions but ****e. Lots of very average ****e, silly mistakes.
    However, I remind myself that it’s only the league but my hope remains limited based on the last three outings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I missed most of the first half but from what I did see it was a better draw than last week. Armagh look a better outfit this year. The goal we conceded was as bad as last week though. Campbell just walked through before giving a handpass to a man who found space and time in the middle of a plethora of defenders. Shocking defending.
    Agree with Charlie, surely lads practice free taking but it seems no right footer can step up when Murphy is out.
    Young O'Donnell made a decent cameo.
    We do seem to be able to win the majority of kickouts so that's a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I missed most of the first half but from what I did see it was a better draw than last week. Armagh look a better outfit this year. The goal we conceded was as bad as last week though. Campbell just walked through before giving a handpass to a man who found space and time in the middle of a plethora of defenders. Shocking defending.
    Agree with Charlie, surely lads practice free taking but it seems no right footer can step up when Murphy is out.
    Young O'Donnell made a decent cameo.
    We do seem to be able to win the majority of kickouts so that's a positive.

You were lucky you missed it. First 15 - 20 mins was as poor as I have ever seen us. Deegan was overly fussy and I can get it was frustrating to players, it`s no excuse for back chat that had two frees moved forward that Armagh scored. Conceded a soft goal, but with how the rules are now and how refs read them lads seem afraid to put in a tackle not knowing what will come off it.
    Good points were we were very solid around mid field, but we were very slow in putting Hugh back as a sweeper. Paddy was excellent, and when Langan`s goal woke us up we did play some nice football, but we need more than Langan scoring goals if we are going to be serious contenders even in Ulster.
    That young O Donnell looks a cool customer and made a good impact coming on. Niall O Donnell played well I though. Patton lazer like as well. Ryan was well watched but I have doubts about the cousin being good enough.
    Anyway, job done really with the league and encouraging to hear Declan afterwards saying the emphasis will now be on the championship. We have enough walking wounded at this stage so I would be happy if we just give the League semi to the lesser lights to make their best off.

Is there a case to be made for Patton to take our scoreable frees and 45’s?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ryan McHugh takes some of the right footed frees for Kilcar as far as I know although McClean might have taken over most of them. Niall O'Donnell takes them for St Eunans. Michael Langan for St Michaels. We should have someone able to back up Michael. All 3 of them are experienced enough at this stage.

If we get knocked out by a Rory Gallagher team this year, I would not be surprised.

Jesus Christ, things are not that bad. Derry are playing Division 3 football and while we have looked poor at times, we are unbeaten in Division 1 (with a tanking to come). The players and management shouldn't be so arrogant but a USFC Semi Final is the least we should expect given the talent available.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Deegan was overly fussy and I can get it was frustrating to players, it`s no excuse for back chat that had two frees moved forward that Armagh scored.

We are too fond of that. It's obviously not just a Neil McGee thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, things are not that bad. Derry are playing Division 3 football and while we have looked poor at times, we are unbeaten in Division 1 (with a tanking to come). The players and management shouldn't be so arrogant but a USFC Semi Final is the least we should expect given the talent available.
    Cavan are div3 too and got us in the final. I would worry that Derry are defending and scoring, and we are conceeding and if you're relying on outscoring the opposition it rarely brings back silverware.
    I'd still feel we have the most talented squad in Ulster, but we need to tighten up at the back and have that tenacity in defence... (Said having not really got to see much this year)

overshoot wrote: »
    Cavan are div3 too and got us in the final.

Aye, and if that happens again shame on us!

Lookit, Michael Murphy won't be letting this team limp out like we did last year. Declan wants to move on from that Ulster Final, well there is only one way to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Derry are doing what Rory Gallagher always does - go full steam into the league and then collapse as the summer goes on. We had 3 years of it.

My concerns are that we're too far the other way - playing with zero defensive structure or intensity. Fair enough we've had key defensive players missing and the replacements are not good enough - but I don't think you can turn it on and off like a tap. It's straight knock out in a few weeks so you can easily get caught against weaker sides like Derry / Cavan if you leave the door open.

What I will say is that we're carrying a lot of injuries and have shown good character to eek out draws over the last few weeks. We've a good squad but badly need quality defenders and a good defensive structure to do anything this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

On a side note, how poor is the analysis from Gooch on TSG? His summary last night was Donegal need to get Murphy back. Eh thanks Einstein but how about something that the punter at the bar doesn't already know!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

v the Dubs
    in Cavan
    Sat week

The Dublin game is down for Breffni Park on Saturday week. How very 90's.

To sum up, we've to beat Dublin for a place in a final which doesn't take place if we win.

Can we send the under 20's?

Send the Masters team.

What a joke.

Dublin defence are weak under a high ball. I wonder will Rochford have them spend 70mins lobbing balls into the full forward line as we get annihilated at the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Send the Masters team.

What a joke.

That or the U20`s as Nidge suggested would get my vote.
    Seems if we did win and they who shall remain nameless beat Kerry we would share the trophy.
    I`m dizzy with excitement of the possibility :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Have I missed something donegal wins there mini league yet game in cavan. Kerry wins that side and game in killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Have I missed something donegal wins there mini league yet game in cavan. Kerry wins that side and game in killarney

Kerry got the game at home because they only had one game at home in their group, while Tyrone had two.

Not sure what the reasoning is for a neutral venue for Dublin - think the county boards agreed to it.

Was based on your number of home games...
    Ourselves and Dublin had the same number so was a coin toss-but neutral was agreed.
    Kerry must have played 2 away, Tyrone 2 at home.

Not overly bothered by it... Although a good intensity game against the dubs may do us no harm. Shared/mess of a competition or not, we don't have that many trophies to turn the noses up at it

• Advertisement

IF we beat Dublin, there is no trophy.

UNLESS we beat Kerry or the others in the Championship.

Definitely feeling out of the loop now!
    Well was putting it down that would be good to be shared... Didn't realise they were gonna merge a possible future game...
    Definitely an absolute crap show of organisation

Ourselves and Dublin had the same number so was a coin toss-but neutral was agreed.

Not overly bothered by it... Although a good intensity game against the dubs may do us no harm. Shared/mess of a competition or not, we don't have that many trophies to turn the noses up at it

Shouldn't really matter donegal won there group they should be at home end of story

Basically they should have had the group winners play each other if there is to be no space for a semi and a final

On the plus side, the fact it is in Breffni means we don't lose our unbeaten run at Ballybofey.

Every cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dublin had to forfeit a home league game because they broke the rules. Now that is taken into account to even it out at a later stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

On the plus side, the fact it is in Breffni means we don't lose our unbeaten run at Ballybofey.

Every cloud.

It doesn’t go back as far as it used to though I’m afraid.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Dublin had to forfeit a home league game because they broke the rules. Now that is taken into account to even it out at a later stage?

We had 1 home game, Dublin had zero, (they come first in the listing v Kerry but says thurles) so I guess it still counted given it was to be a coin toss/now neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shipkast5

The Dublin game is down for Breffni Park on Saturday week. How very 90's.

How very 90s indeed, I don't mind been gutted again, like 92 league QF in Cavan, if history repeats itself later in the year as 92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Club championship draw today at 11am

Advertisement