Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

I hear Conor O’Donnell, Carndonagh, is back to full fitness and going well. It would be nice to get a look on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I know it’s very early days but I’ve a feeling Rochford might slot in to replace Bonner after the championship. I don’t think he’d be worse than the last assistant who took over the reins.

He's said himself previously that the management side of things was frustrating and he would rather coach. Can't see him going back on that to take a role which would involve substantial travel. I would imagine we may well lose him after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Has Tom Comack’s GAA show on Highland Radio been discontinued in favour of Devenney’s show on Thursdays?
    I used to enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote: »
    I hear Conor O’Donnell, Carndonagh, is back to full fitness and going well. It would be nice to get a look on Saturday.

It would, I have heard great things but not seen much.

But I'd rather see more new or returning faces at the back.

Re Eoin McHugh, aye. I wrote him off a good while back, think it was probably the league game in Semple Stadium. He's had one or two decent cameos since, but outside of pace, doesn't have enough.

Monaghan, shame on any Donegal team that would take them for granted, they always hit us when we least expect it. Still, they are slowly declining, we should be looking to kick it up another gear after last weekend.

Has Tom Comack’s GAA show on Highland Radio been discontinued in favour of Devenney’s show on Thursdays?
    I used to enjoy that.

I don't know, was no fan of Tom. DV is ....ok....he gets good guests, his show can be ok.

I don't know when Ocean FM podcast's recent obsession with Monaghan players is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

https://twitter.com/RNF36/status/1396098581816283139?s=19

Eóghan Bán back in the 15, and McMenamin back in the squad. Big relief to see them back. Paddy McGrath in the squad too, not sure whether he was on the bench last week or not but in any case it's serious good news to have them all returning ahead of Championship.

If McCole and Paul Brennan can put in good shifts today I'd have to say I think we're in good shape in all areas of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Have any of these lads actually defended before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The kind of defending not seen in a Donegal jersey since a bad day in Crossmaglen.

We seem very shapeless. Not taking scores well at all and defending like it's Junior B.

Monaghan have played very well but they are no world beaters. Kerry or Dublin would have been pushing 30 points in a half if we played like that against them. Absolutely shameful display.

Bring Jim back.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Poor defending really need Mc Menamin back ASAP
    Karl O’ Connell running the show
    Big half coming up from our management to turn this around

• Advertisement

Jesus i hope to God that Michael Murphy is alright. We could be in for an incredibly painful month or so without him

The kind of defending not seen in a Donegal jersey since a bad day in Crossmaglen.

Or the qualifier against Galway in Sligo. Good old Rory Gallagher eh

I have a feeling we’re in for another bleak summer. The buck stops with management here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Got a result in the end, but that was appalling stuff

McMenamin made a great difference when he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

moghrasa wrote: »
    McMenamin made a great difference when he came on

Monaghan stopped attacking us. Sat back and tried to defend a lead. We looked very leggy, hopefully from heavy training this week.
    I'm surprised with all their extra training Monaghan ran out of steam!!!

Moses appears to be our new defensive coach. Monaghan should have put 6 goals, at least, past us given the quality of the chances they had. Why was Ryan McHugh in the full back line? What’s wrong with Hugh? Is he still feeling the effects of that hit last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Unreal how exposed we were yesterday. How many times were our lads beaten for pace by a simple ball over the top? Poor Daire had a game to forget. The sending off was a joke really, but before that he was already having a nightmare.
    That said, their defense were almost as bad, the one difference being that they resorted to fouling when beaten. It showed good character to come from 9 down with Murphy off the field. Langan showed leadership as did McFadden and Paddy.
    All in all a very unusual match.
    BTW lovely to see Odhran back, how sweet was that right footed pass.

PMB had a good game yesterday but he should work in his 1 v 1s.

I feel that with Neil and Paddy McGrath not having too long left and with Gillespie’s nightmare injury run, we need to start looking at sourcing man markers for our defense to cover for youngsters who are not at the ‘dogs of war’ level just yet. McFadden Ferry and McMenamin are great fits but this area needs to be bolstered for next year. We’re top heavy. I wondered if the media’s lambasting of Ryan’s reffing attempts got into his head yesterday. A rare off day.
    On the plus side, Odhran...the magic remains. The quality showed. A great showing in the second half from Farah and Paddy did well and I was impressed with Thompson.
    I’d rather Thompson or someone else be given the captaincy over Hughie when Murphy retires. I appreciate his contribution but I don’t think he has the quality to lead us in the next era.
    Onwards to Armagh. We’ll get nothing light against McGeeney’s charges but it might do us good to play a game or two without Murphy if he’s injured as it would put the onus on the rest to stand up. I wonder if O’Donnell would get a run out if we’re leading if Murphy and Brennan were sitting the game out. I’m anxious to see him in action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Monaghan stopped attacking us. Sat back and tried to defend a lead. We looked very leggy, hopefully from heavy training this week.

Agreed, I thought we looked like a team with a few heavy sessions in the legs. Thankfully the game was in Ballybofey, if that was in Letterkenny we'd have been beaten by 10 points.

Next week will be tough enough without Murphy, presumably we'll need to get a result to avoid the relegation battle.

Well that was some ****show.

But, at least we didn't lose, without Michael and all.

Without being there, hard to say what root of the problem was. But I think it's fair to say, we are not hard to beat. It's great to be able to score from pretty much anywhere, but I'd prefer to see a bit more bite in defence. Some returning players should help address that but there's a deeper issue there.

Ryan McHugh - dunno what's up there.

I'd not risk Michael this weekend, I'd prefer to be playing in a meaningless semi-final than a relegation play-off and his injury didn't look too bad, but we can afford to do without him. Armagh will smell blood after last season's embarrassment suffered at our hands in Ulster, the 4 goals we shipped last weekend and the fact that there may be no Michael. They can score at a clip, so unless we are at it, this could be a high scoring defeat.

Anyway, it's only the league.

DSH confirming Michael will not play on Saturday but no worries for Ulster.

Seems like OMCFF will play no part in the League which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,927 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    DSH confirming Michael will not play on Saturday but no worries for Ulster.

Seems like OMCFF will play no part in the League which is a pity.

Great to hear as regards Michael. Pity about OMCFF. The way we were being cut open last day out it would have been interesting to see if he could have helped plug some holes before Ulster comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Team named yet?

Has generally been Saturday lunchtime

Jamie for Michael in the team named.

Need a performance from Niall this evening. He hasn’t had the best of starts to the season.

Playing Ryan McHugh in the defence isn’t working at the minute either.

Not a very enjoyable match so far. Seem to be rushing to get our scores. Pace is suiting Armagh so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,927 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

wtf. Do we have nobody that can kick a free with his right foot or a 45 other than Michael Murphy.

Advertisement