Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2014 routes for Irish stages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

just watched the video. I really like the way at the start they moved ireland to the med.

if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    past the party at Lusk Doyles house.

BYOBBB!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

drogdub wrote: »
    Hopefully this means they'll sort out the road surface between Balbriggan and Julienstown, which in places is shocking. Is it going down Dublin Road in Drogheda? Seems to be from the maps

i was hoping they would continue on the old main road for the same reason. After Balrothery it's terrible in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Did they indicate where the race will finish once it gets to Dublin? Can't see anything with sufficient specificity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Did they indicate where the race will finish once it gets to Dublin? Can't see anything with sufficient specificity.

Read somewhere it's finishing on Upper Merrion Street.

For anyone that's been to one before - what's the story with road closures - is it rolling road closures like the Ras, or do they completely shut-down the road an hour or so beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Would imagine its a complete shut down.This is a grand tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

marvin80 wrote: »

For anyone that's been to one before - what's the story with road closures - is it rolling road closures like the Ras, or do they completely shut-down the road an hour or so beforehand?

Its a UCI requirement for races of this level that the course be closed for the duration of the stage and at least until all the riders have passed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

bren_mc wrote: »
    i was hoping they would continue on the old main road for the same reason. After Balrothery it's terrible in places.

That old N1 road is in an awful heap in lots of places. Also on the apparent route from Skerries then to Rush and Lusk the roads are quite narrow and closed in - not great for spectators. Main opportunities for viewing might be in the towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    BYOBBB!

BYOBBBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Myself and Talkabout have booking into the Hilton, Belfast for the 9th and 10th.....the TTT goes right past us. :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Crankymonkey

Yes, let's hope so as've just booked the Merrion. Great Sunday rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

I heard that the organisers will travel the route and get the really bad sections of road resurfaced

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Crankymonkey

I heard that the organisers will travel the route and get the really bad sections of road resurfaced

How does that work; do they hold bowls of water in the backseat & make note of when their laps are saturated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

When they go over a really bumpy bit the gesticulation goes into overdrive.
    Gonna be a long journey from the border into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Like the sound of that, a bit of work along the N1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone around for the 1998 Tour De France in Dublin? I was living in the city centre and headed out early with the dog and couldn't believe how accessible to the public the riders were! I got chatting to a few big names, they stopped to pat and rub my dog. I'm not a big cycle fan, but, if you can get your hands on a big dog, take an early morning stroll and you'll get to chat to some of you heroes.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Anyone around for the 1998 Tour De France in Dublin? I was living in the city centre and headed out early with the dog and couldn't believe how accessible to the public the riders were! I got chatting to a few big names, they stopped to pat and rub my dog. I'm not a big cycle fan, but, if you can get your hands on a big dog, take an early morning stroll and you'll get to chat to some of you heroes.

Just make sure to keep it on a leash!

I've been trying to figure out that last finishing section based on the large-scale http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Giroditalia/2014/images/tappa/tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_03.jpg?v=20131007153411

Best suggestion I have is http://goo.gl/maps/lHDCj - any improvement suggestions?

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure out that last finishing section based on the large-scale http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Giroditalia/2014/images/tappa/tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_03.jpg?v=20131007153411

Best suggestion I have is http://goo.gl/maps/lHDCj - any improvement suggestions?

No way they go down the estuary there from Swords by that route imo.

Either past woodies at the next roundabout down, or imo more likely from the Pavillions roundabout down to the Malahide round and left to Portmarnock.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

...Isn't that going over the footbridge?

apologies if that was the joke!

• Advertisement

Would be nice to see them make use of that cycle maze beneath the M1 at Lissenhall. You go into that one and it decides which road you'll emerge on.

...Isn't that going over the footbridge?

apologies if that was the joke!

haha! So it is! We've just been talking in work about the possible finishes - around past Trinity, down Nassau Street and hard right-hand for a sprint down Merrion Square West and then stop before the Baggot St junction? Seems very tight.

Or over the Talbot Memorial bridge, down Westland Row and chicane through by the Gingerman onto Merrion Square?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'd say it's the same as your map except they'll use the nice new Samuel Beckett bridge. Might have some issues with traffic islands going that way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I don't think they'll go to Sutton Cross, I'd say they'll go straight on down the Baldoyle road to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

maybe its coincidence but there is a lot of roadworks being carried out around the merrion sq area and its all in order to get the road resurfaced around there

I more think - http://goo.gl/maps/jgiCQ

That's quite suburban and narrow around Estuary Road / Yellow walls - perhaps it doesn't matter though.

We should get bcmf to propose an alternate route to the organisers, show off the true delights of NCD cycling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Inquitus wrote: »
    We should get bcmf to propose an alternate route to the organisers, show off the true delights of NCD cycling :D

I like that idea, maybe we should send this to RCS Sport, then have a coffee in the Grange as the peleton go by :D

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203798810672074865029.0004e84dad1ff195130cb&msa=0

Advertisement