Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2014 routes for Irish stages

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How do lads know it passing their house/their mother's house etc.? :confused:
    There are some roads you can easily work out based on comparing the map they provided and Google maps, then there are some others that there's probably only one option (such as in and out of Skerries, although I may put some bollards out to force them up Togher Hill and past my house....)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    There are some roads you can easily work out based on comparing the map they provided and Google maps, then there are some others that there's probably only one option (such as in and out of Skerries, although I may put some bollards out to force them up Togher Hill and past my house....)
    I was hoping it might go from Skerries via Rush - then it would be only meters from my house. :)

I suppose I can say goodbye to my top ten Strava position between Lusk and Blake's Cross! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

well in the news article it says it goes past whitehead which is where i'm from and just from the route its easy enough to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Sweet. Straight past the front door by the looks of it! Can't wait. Drinks in mine that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Have you ever been to Forkhill? Or Newtownhamilton for that matter? And there's only one Forkhill road into Dundalk that I know! Pretty easy to work out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Sweet. Straight past the front door by the looks of it! Can't wait. Drinks in mine that day!
    Let me guess - you're from Lusk aren't you?

Beasty wrote: »
    Let me guess - you're from Lusk aren't you?

Portmarnock actually. I do live in Lusk though! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Portmarnock actually. I do live in Lusk though! :P

Bleedin blow ins....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bleedin blow ins....

Ah here, leave it out! The old lad is from Loughshinney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

The team time trial map is on a better scale if you know Belfast at all it's quite easy to work out the exact roads.
    It also looks like they are not going up the steep section of Torr Head but taking the climb up the Cushendall road out of Ballycastle. I will probably watch from there on Saturday after cycling from Belfast up the Antrim Coast road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You can probably wave goodbye to most of your KOMs.

Even Ryan Sherlock is bricking it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

Dunsany GP on the same day as stage 3 i think.Looks like a 6am start for that one now and a shuttle service then directly to the route.No prizes at the race.We'll spend the fund on burgers and beer for the BBQ along the route lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

we should have a Boards cycling forum meet-up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Classy statement from the shinner Maskey implying that Minister Foster (DUP) ensured it missed the catholic areas in belfast. Twit.

Though it does have to be said the route from Armagh to the border is a spiders web of a route that somehow links each last town, village, hamlet and townland of unionism in South Armagh!

Goes right by Willie Frazer house - not sure how he will feel with any Italian flags flying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jesus, shouldn't most of the info in this thread be spoilered? Some might want a surprise when we head to the Pavilions next May.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

SF might have had more luck on the route if they'd sponsored a prime.

First prize: a tanker of red diesel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

First prize: a tanker of red diesel.

Or instead of the pink jersey they could tar and feather the leader?

Just hope to God no one asks then to fire the starting gun

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

RobFowl wrote: »
    Or instead of the pink jersey they could tar and feather the leader?

Just hope to God no one asks then to fire the starting gun

"Starting Gun? .... That's not a gun.... This is a gun!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You can have a nice gander of the main section of the route by following the link below and chosing street view.

http://goo.gl/maps/hQnBO

As you proceed up the Lower Newtownards Road road, take your time to look left and right to take in the various anti-Catholic, Anti-Irsh, and pro-paramilitary murals as well as St. Matthew's RC Church. If you follow Northern Irish news and have heard the words "Loyalist Riot", "mob", "church attacked", "police attacked" and "shots fired" it is likely you are familiar with said location and church.

I just hope the locals aren't still revolting come May 2014!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

el tel wrote: »
    You can have a nice gander of the main section of the route by following the link below and chosing street view.

http://goo.gl/maps/hQnBO

As you proceed up the Lower Newtownards Road road, take your time to look left and right to take in the various anti-Catholic, Anti-Irsh, and pro-paramilitary murals as well as St. Matthew's RC Church. If you follow Northern Irish news and have heard the words "Loyalist Riot", "mob", "church attacked", "police attacked" and "shots fired" it is likely you are familiar with said location and church.

I just hope the locals aren't still revolting come May 2014!

But that's "freedom corner"! Sounds lovely :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#live

Apparently they'll have live streaming of the route unveiling, starting I think at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2014/it/percorso-tappe/tappe.shtml?t=03&lang=it&sez=INFO_TECNICHE

The Map is up for the 3rd stage to Dublin. There go all the KOM's on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

would have been great to see them go out to howth then turn right at the church. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

The Chuck Wagon on the R132 might do as the final food stop of the stage.

Well for supporters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

First prize: a tanker of formerly red diesel.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

So they're going through Skerries - Black Hills?

And looks like they're heading down the Clontarf coast - along S2S perhaps? Really looking forward to this! Why is it so far away?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

From what I am seeing on the map it looks like its going into Balbriggan -straight down the coast road into Skerries and straight out the main road into Lusk -past the party at Lusk Doyles house - out onto the main road and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

bcmf wrote: »
    From what I am seeing on the map it looks like its going into Balbriggan -straight down the coast road into Skerries and straight out the main road into Lusk -past the party at Lusk Doyles house - out onto the main road and so on.

Hopefully this means they'll sort out the road surface between Balbriggan and Julienstown, which in places is shocking. Is it going down Dublin Road in Drogheda? Seems to be from the maps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

drogdub wrote: »
    Hopefully this means they'll sort out the road surface between Balbriggan and Julienstown, which in places is shocking. Is it going down Dublin Road in Drogheda? Seems to be from the maps
    The riders are all referring to the easy start. A nice rough stone top dressing put down about 3 weeks before hand is just what is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

Bit disappointed the route isn't going through Howth, thought it they would considering they're going right beside Howth Hill.

Advertisement