Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terraria 1.2!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

No lag so far. Managed to get a small shack up for others to use for night time. It's hard starting over again... none of the comforts of all the gear I'd got with my other characters and worlds. This expert mode is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

Alright! Going to install Terraria sometime this week - would be up for joining somebody's world if there's room. Though expert mode does sound prettttty terrifying for a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

MagTuired wrote: »
    Alright! Going to install Terraria sometime this week - would be up for joining somebody's world if there's room. Though expert mode does sound prettttty terrifying for a noob.

There are currently 2 of us on Daves server, expert mode. Ita pretty challenging, I recommend creating a softcore character. Its a pretty exciting world though being on expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Decided to give Expert mode a go with a new character.

It's seriously tough.

Everything above the basic slimes do like 50 damage and has 100+ health straight out of the gate.

I'm collecting way more money from monsters but I haven't seen evidence of better drops yet.

Apparently you get access to developer items and all bosses drop a bag of special loot, but I haven't killed any yet, so I haven't noticed anything.

I'd say using melee weapons is probably a bad choice so I'll probably stick together a better bow as soon as I get enough gold ore and start making some fancy arrows.
    Shurikens and other ranged items I never bothered with on normal mode have been a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Gbear wrote: »
    Apparently you get access to developer items and all bosses drop a bag of special loot, but I haven't killed any yet, so I haven't noticed anything.

I'd say using melee weapons is probably a bad choice so I'll probably stick together a better bow as soon as I get enough gold ore and start making some fancy arrows.
    Shurikens and other ranged items I never bothered with on normal mode have been a godsend.

If you can get one, yoyos are a great option for cheesing enemies. The more powerful ones are great against bosses too - if you get a longer string and a yoyo glove.

Each boss has a 100% drop rate for a loot bag on expert, and as you say - money is far more plentiful. However, if you die, you drop 75% of gold instead of 50% on easy.

• Advertisement

If you can get one, yoyos are a great option for cheesing enemies. The more powerful ones are great against bosses too - if you get a longer string and a yoyo glove.

Each boss has a 100% drop rate for a loot bag on expert, and as you say - money is far more plentiful. However, if you die, you drop 75% of gold instead of 50% on easy.

I've made judicious use of the piggy bank so far.

I've one in my inventory and 1 at home.
    Handy to do a little pit stop every now and again to keep your in-inventory gold low.

Fishing was a good idea.

There was a swarm of fireflies near my house so I caught about 50 of them and made the gruelling trek to the edge of the map (dying about 4 times before I got set up).

Caught 2 quest fish, about 25 wooden crates but crucially, the swordfish, the sawtooth shark and the reaver shark.

So that's my axe, melee weapon and pickaxe sorted until hardmode.

So I made a bollocks of the Windows 10 upgrade. Server will be down longer than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

So I made a bollocks of the Windows 10 upgrade. Server will be down longer than expected.

Boooo! Im not paying for this crappy server :P

Hope you dont lose the world data though.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Boooo! Im not paying for this crappy server :P

Hope you dont lose the world data though.

Nah, that should be backed up. Should.

[edit] And it was. Server is back up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Argh, wish I'd checked this thread last week!
    Gbear wrote: »
    Fishing was a good idea.

^ This :p

It took 4 worlds and over 600 wooden crates before my new 1.3 main found a Radar :o On the other hand, half of those were opened just after I murdered WoF so between those and the hundreds of iron/golden crates I had lying around from fishing up all the wooden ones... nothing like not setting foot outside in Hardmode until you already have a full set of Titanium armor :D

Needless to say I haven't smashey-smashied a single demon altar in my main 1.3 world ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just made the jump into Expert hard mode. Molten set and some of the best pre hard mode gear and I'm getting 2.5 Shotted by skeleton archers. I guess I should have fished up some crates before i killed WoF but fishing is so boring for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So I downloaded Terraria from my GOG library again onto Linux this time. Works perfectly, was even able to copy over all my characters and worlds from the Windows directory. DRM-free Terraria on Linux... maximum comfy enabled.

I guess I could host the boardsie world again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Been awhile since anyones been in this thread but im hoping some people still play the game currently.

Im looking for advice on mods worth playing and the best way to get them installed.

Ive started a game recently but ive heard the mod scene for this game is great so wouldnt mind restarting with a few installed.

Im not looking for hard mode or extra grind,just some packs to give a bit of variety to a playthrough. Ive looked at the PC Gamer list of mods and the conversion mods look interesting.

So any advice on particular mods or where to start looking would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok so had a quick look around the net and the way to go seems to be the tModLoader. Only issue seems to be not all mods are going to be for the current version and with no way of downgrading versions im not sure it would be worth messing around with. Gonna give it a quick try tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully the mods get updated at some point or theres a way to downgrade to previous versions in the future.

Actually scrap that,theres a patch for the modloader for version 1.3.5 so i should be ok to get a few mods inatalled:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Actually, what are good mods for terraria? Wouldnt mind fire it up on my laptop. Not a powerful laptop, but plenty of mashing potato power for indies and lovely terraria.
    Any automation mods? Hard to play any of these games after being spoiled with factorio. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Tremor is the only mod i have played. It pretty much is an unofficial patch for the game adding loads more items, monsters, bosses and what have ye.

I went with Thorium,Tremor,Reduced Grind and Pumpking.

Think they should add a whole heap into the game. Ive never really played terraria so i wont even know whats vanilla and whats modded content but feck it,go big or go home:)

The modloader makes mods a doddle to install too,download the loader,extract from a zip into the terraria folder overwriting already existing folders,then run the game from steam. Can then use an in game browser to install mods from it. Very nice little system. Just make a backup of your vanilla folder if you want to keep your vanilla saves safe. Toons can be ported from vanilla to modded i think though if your attached to one. Just have to copy and paste the character file i think.

I had 12 mins of terraria played last friday,i now have nearly 9 hrs so i can see this becoming a time sink!!

Advertisement