Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terraria 1.2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Got this free for the vita ages ago. After reding this thread and watching a lets play Im tempted to give it a go.

Looks like you could get addicted to it fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Back playing it myself also. With every major update i start a fresh character and world to experience all the changes. Best value for money game i ever bought. 330 Hours on record and gonna sink alot more into this update all for just a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Got a server up with buddy and we playing 2 days in a row till 4:00 in the morning.... God I love this game and developer for constantly updating it.
    From all these type of games Terraria was pretty much the first and still best.
    I just wish they would have easier multiplayer options and not just server type stuff on PC. :(

It's a double edged sword it seems. Easy multiplayer is nice but at the same time I'm glad they didn't go with steamworks because then I couldn't have bought a DRM-free version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a double edged sword it seems. Easy multiplayer is nice but at the same time I'm glad they didn't go with steamworks because then I couldn't have bought a DRM-free version of the game.

Well, I personally don't care about drm free games. If there is a choice I would always go for steam version. Tjen again I realise that for some people it is important aspect. We can do our own server and play away no issues, so can't complain. And by the looks of it servers work very well om just home pcs and even if you do have bad internet. My buddy is hosting it from north on less them 8mbit connection amd no lad even with 3 of us.
    We actually just turned on hard mode by a **** up hehe. Not prepared at all. We though we will need to destroy an actor to get hard mode not just kill a boss... We were wrong lol

Well, I personally don't care about drm free games. If there is a choice I would always go for steam version. Tjen again I realise that for some people it is important aspect. We can do our own server and play away no issues, so can't complain. And by the looks of it servers work very well om just home pcs and even if you do have bad internet. My buddy is hosting it from north on less them 8mbit connection amd no lad even with 3 of us.
    We actually just turned on hard mode by a **** up hehe. Not prepared at all. We though we will need to destroy an actor to get hard mode not just kill a boss... We were wrong lol

With terraria it just looked like the kind of game that would be nice to be able to boot up and play from anywhere, even on a USB stick, without having to worry about steam's DRM. I don't get steam cards now but it's not a big deal since it was technically 60c cheaper on the GOG sale (might've been the fair price package thing) so I could easily get the cards with the money I saved if I really wanted to... which I actually don't.

I added it to the steam client so I can boot it up there if I want the overlay which I'll do if I'm playing online with people on the steam version.

I also just found out it was steam family shared with me from the beginning so I could've saved some money there but oh well at least I have my own DRM free backup copy no matter what now and I do still feel good for supporting the game when the devs have that attitude with content updates for no charge. Hope to see that more like with Divinity Original Sin huge update being given to current owners for free.

Anyway I'm starting to get stuck in the game. I dunno where to get the materials for a hookshot and I think it'd be really handy to have since digging underground leaves me making dirt platforms a lot of the time to get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm looking to play this with the missus...but i gave away my humble bundle version to someone on here awhile ago :pac:

If you own the steam version, can you download a drm free version too or am i stuck with just 1 copy?

Just beat the Eye on expert mode. Was totally unprepared for it but i did have an Undertaker revolver. Was easy mode till he went berserk at 20% HP. Killed him with a single heart left, heart was racing and im only playing softcore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just beat the Eye on expert mode. Was totally unprepared for it but i did have an Undertaker revolver. Was easy mode till he went berserk at 20% HP. Killed him with a single heart left, heart was racing and im only playing softcore :p

That last period where it goes ****ing crazy - he's a real bastard to hit. You really need an arena more than ever now.

I definately played this before on ps plus on vita. It was free this time last year but it's not in my download list for some reason and I have to buy it if I want it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I definately played this before on ps plus on vita. It was free this time last year but it's not in my download list for some reason and I have to buy it if I want it :-(

Go on. You know you want it.

Great game. Almost as much of a time sink as Destiny.

• Advertisement

Go on. You know you want it.

Great game. Almost as much of a time sink as Destiny.

So I bought the full game on Vita a few nights back.

It's very very very (yes 3 very's) poorly explained but with a bit of help from YouTube i think I'm getting the idea.

Other than the poor/no tutorial it looks to have championship manager levels of addiction which scares me slightly.

Theres some amazing big house builds on YouTube too.

It's very very very (yes 3 very's) poorly explained but with a bit of help from YouTube i think I'm getting the idea.

Other than the poor/no tutorial it looks to have championship manager levels of addiction which scares me slightly.

Very true. I had no idea what I was doing or was supposed to do for a long time. You should look up 'Hellevator' and get building.

The one thing that I really dislike about this game is that there have been so many updates to the game since I created my world. I don't see the new content because I don't want to restart a new world. I wish I could import my character and homes into a new world.

Very true. I had no idea what I was doing or was supposed to do for a long time. You should look up 'Hellevator' and get building.

The one thing that I really dislike about this game is that there have been so many updates to the game since I created my world. I don't see the new content because I don't want to restart a new world. I wish I could import my character and homes into a new world.

Had a look at the hellevator on YouTube there. It's idea is cool.

I'm tryin not to look at too many videos though. Id rather be able to explore and figure as much out myself as possible.

That said as I mentioned the tutorials aren't there so you have to look some things up which then tempts you to look at all the created worlds etc..

That's crap that the updates don't affect your current world.

So people who have invested hundreds of hours will essentially need to restart fresh if they want to use the update?!

That's mental if I've taken you up right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was this patch released for vita too?

That's crap that the updates don't affect your current world.

So people who have invested hundreds of hours will essentially need to restart fresh if they want to use the update?!

That's mental if I've taken you up right.

They don't have to start fresh. Your character can go to other worlds, keep it's gear, etc. You will have to do your buildings again, and Hellevators, arenas etc, but that only takes a short while to set up again. You can pop in and out of our original world to get materials etc that you've likely stored up, etc.

They don't have to start fresh. Your character can go to other worlds, keep it's gear, etc. You will have to do your buildings again, and Hellevators, arenas etc, but that only takes a short while to set up again. You can pop in and out of our original world to get materials etc that you've likely stored up, etc.

That's true but very time consuming. And the thought of starting over is daunting to say the least. Although it might mean a better world as I will learn from past mistakes.

That's true but very time consuming. And the thought of starting over is daunting to say the least. Although it might mean a better world as I will learn from past mistakes.

I agree, but you don't need a full base. Just a basic one with NPCs, plenty of efficient options for that.

Mind you, I have several worlds for farming purposes anyways, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Anyone on pc want to start a new world together?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

Considering buying Terraria. Quite enjoy Minecraft, but with the snail's pace of their updates I think it's time to hop across the fence.

MagTuired wrote: »
    Considering buying Terraria. Quite enjoy Minecraft, but with the snail's pace of their updates I think it's time to hop across the fence.

Although I have nothing against minecraft (since I've never played it) it was the features listed in the below picture I found on an image board that got me interested in the game in the first place.

qxvsqvptfa.jpgc

I actually think there's more enemies now so this pic is probably out of date.

Just downloaded the latest update. Considering going online soon. I just thought how amazing this game would be to play at 4-5-8K resolutions. The amount of things on screen at once would be wonderful and it wouldn't even need that good of a rig to power it. It's just too bad the game doesn't natively support anything more than 1080p without some kind of modding which I'm pretty sure would cause online incompatibilities.

Also I still suck balls at the combat. Cannot for the life of me defeat skeletron I just constantly get hit no matter what kind of movements I do. I even set up platforms all over the place for me to hookshot onto and he follows me perfectly. Maybe it's time I look up a video but I really don't like to do that...

I like digging to Hell but the firebats make it pretty much constantly hostile. Every other enemy I can defeat but those bats... never ending spawn, swarm, hard to hit. Really screw up trying to fight other things.

• Advertisement

Yeah that pic is out of date. I have never played Minecraft but isn't there a massive modding community that bring in tonnes more content to the game like weapons, enemies and even quests?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

Yeah that pic is out of date. I have never played Minecraft but isn't there a massive modding community that bring in tonnes more content to the game like weapons, enemies and even quests?

Yep, but not all mod are compatible and there's always tinkering to do and each mod comes with a separate list of bugs and quirks. On top of that lots of the mods don't quite gel with the vanilla game and gameplay.

For a game that made the amount of money that it did (and for one recently acquired by Microsoft) the game is developing way, way, way too slow. I used to defend its pace, but fact is they are not a tiny indie outfit anymore. There's also a strange unwillingness to just wholesale adopt some of the more polished mods - sure they incorporated a few, but there are plenty that would fit right in and enhance the quality of the game.

But I'm getting off topic with my jilted rant, this is about Terraria! Yeah, I was impressed when somebody listed out all the features in the recent update. I'm getting/building a new gaming PC today and I think this is the first game I'm going to download.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Anyone on pc want to start a new world together?

This offer still open? Wouldn't mind some mumble or steam mics if you're up for it, either. Text is fine too. I really wanna give multiplayer a shot I have no idea how it will change the feel of the game I've had so far.

This thing is just amazing I can't believe the amount of content in it for the price. Really sets a standard I hope to see other game's take a feckin' hint from. Wish there was more cross-play options, though. Mobile to PC would be cool but I can see why it would be impossible if they've made a very separate port for it. I'd still prefer even my PC version going into mobile-mode to sync with mobile users' hardware restrictions.

This offer still open? Wouldn't mind some mumble or steam mics if you're up for it, either. Text is fine too. I really wanna give multiplayer a shot I have no idea how it will change the feel of the game I've had so far.

This thing is just amazing I can't believe the amount of content in it for the price. Really sets a standard I hope to see other game's take a feckin' hint from. Wish there was more cross-play options, though. Mobile to PC would be cool but I can see why it would be impossible if they've made a very separate port for it. I'd still prefer even my PC version going into mobile-mode to sync with mobile users' hardware restrictions.

Hey man, I can only text right now. Ive set up my own little server. I PMed you the details. :)

For anyone interested, we managed to connect but suffered a bit of lag which we theorised could've been from one of us using wifi. When opting for the person with wired connection to host the server instead, the other could not join. Admist various port forwarding, we lost the will to try for the night :pac: Perhaps another attempt and if any boardsies have experience with this, let us noobs know. Reminds me of gmod all over again.

I'll happily run a server. I had 5 guild mates last week without lag, dedicated server. My main is post-Plantera, but I'll leave a large (expert or non-expert) server open for people to connect to (up to 8/10 people) via PM, they can catch up and we can fire on from there. Drop me a PM and I'll set it up on Saturday, early afternoon.

Let me know what you want, expert or non-expert if you have a preference.

I'd prefer non-expert since there's still a ton of stuff I don't understand and it naturally turns to expert mode after X thing happens anyway, right?

Edit: Turns out I was confusing expert with hardmode. There 3 different difficulties in this game get me a bit confused sometimes. Expert-NonExpert, Soft-Hardcore, Normal and Hard Mode (which can change mid-game). Makes me head spin.

I vote expert. :) Since there there are unique items only found in expert.

I wont be on tonight but will be on all day tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Server up, for those that want to join, drop me a message on Steam - davsheep - if you want the details.

Expert, large. Can change maps at will though, if required.

Advertisement