Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terraria 1.2!

Options
  • 01-10-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Out of BF4 beta, GTA 5 online and Terarria 1.2 I was most looking forward to Terraria today. I will be honest, I even forgot the other too were on october 1st! :pac:

So tell me there are more weirdos like me who love this game?:p

I fired it up, made a brand new character and brand new huge world. Will have to leave my full adamantium god like characters and start it again! WOOT!

So far the changes are very drastic. You can clearly see you are playing a VERY updated version of terraria. I did not gone through all the new changes in Wiki and will work on my own to discover stuff for now.

So far the ability to not get stuck behind 1x1 block makes this game so much better. Itsa lot more smooth. Minimap is a great addition too. All mobs got health bars, which makes it easier to pick fights.
    I dont know is it me or it became a lot more harder. I got my arse handed to me a good few times and I barely even started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I will be honest, I even forgot the other too were on october 1st! :pac:
    was wondering why it was updating!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its a brilliant game, havent tried the updated version yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yep just re-installed it. Will be starting a fresh hardcore character sometime tonight. Looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So tell me there are more weirdos like me who love this game?:p

I doubt I'm a weirdo like you but I do <3 Terraria. Been awfully busy of late, haven't had a chance to play any games in a week or more. Maybe this weekend I can give the new update a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Protip: If you go exploring new frozen lands - bring glowsticks. Your welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dropped a few minutes in to this earlier (damn sister visiting, doesn't she know there's ores to be mined!). The walking up 1 high blocks is so disorientating, gotten used to hopping up everywhere. 2nd best addition I have found is you can place torches on any wall, not just attached to a block (best new addition is there is now six types of piano depending on the wood used.....SIX!!!)

Restarted a week ago to get a new character up for this but kinda temped now to start completely fresh with another newbie and new world.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Dropped a few minutes in to this earlier (damn sister visiting, doesn't she know there's ores to be mined!). The walking up 1 high blocks is so disorientating, gotten used to hopping up everywhere. 2nd best addition I have found is you can place torches on any wall, not just attached to a block (best new addition is there is now six types of piano depending on the wood used.....SIX!!!)

Restarted a week ago to get a new character up for this but kinda temped now to start completely fresh with another newbie and new world.

Fresh start is more fun. Game changed dramaticly, so worth doing new world and character.

Is it just me lads, or copper ore is gone?! :confused:

P.S. ROPE IS AWESOME!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got this in the steam sale and haven't got around to playing it properly yet :o Is this an update or another full game?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I got this in the steam sale and haven't got around to playing it properly yet :o Is this an update or another full game?

Its update, but it is massive update. Its like you know minecraft does 1.0 to 1.1 by adding 1 new block? Well this update is pretty much 1.0 to 27.1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the update was over half the game's file size, granted that's only 50 meg but hey.. still awesome :)

waterfalls are cool, and cactus armour looks awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Clocked up about 50 hours on version 1 of this, so so much fun.
    Will try 1.2
    Everyone should give this game a shot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

For anyone that hasn't tried it, the Android version is actually quite good. I thought the controls would be a massive issue, but they are handled pretty well.

Well, called it a night. Really loving it so far. Some massive changes. Looks like the whole metal table is reworked. I haven't found a single copper/silver/gold. Found 4 New metals though.
    Looks like biomes are more random then before. I found corruption patches while going down the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

There is a chance the metals will be replaced with an alternate, found Lead in my new game in place of Iron. Also, the tools have switched round a lot. Hammers are now for making half blocks and destroying back walls, the Pickaxe is used to remove items.

Had a massive rainstorm hit just a day or 2 in, animations made me feel cold so locked myself in my shack as zombies in yellow mackintosh jackets wandered round. Also caused goldfish to start walking round the land.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Could anyone give a quick overview of what this game is about? I see it's announced for Vita, might get it then.

side scrolling 2d minecraft .. basically :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

With genuinely tougher combat.

Well, it's quite more complicated then that! :D

So terraria, it's 2d platformer game with minecraft crafting elements. Minecraft is more focused on construction building, where's terraria is focused on exploration, item crafting, character progression, boss fights, survival.
    In a way terraria can be looked at as an rpg. It's all about gear improving, and tackling unexplored zones, dungeons, caves for more loot.

I got only 63h played so far: I wonder how much more play time will get from 1.2!

well in fairness it's not more focused on anything really, it's an open world and you're free to do whatever you want to do. If you want to spend hundreds of hours building you can, same with exploration, and progression. Hardmode for progression is pretty challenging.

Hate to sound like an advert for the game but for a tenner it really is worth it. I've got 248 hours on record with it on steam since i bought the game on release . Though those stats are probably lower than reality too.

well in fairness it's not more focused on anything really, it's an open world and you're free to do whatever you want to do. If you want to spend hundreds of hours building you can, same with exploration, and progression. Hardmode for progression is pretty challenging.

Hate to sound like an advert for the game but for a tenner it really is worth it. I've got 248 hours on record with it on steam since i bought the game on release . Though those stats are probably lower than reality too.

Oh ofcourse it is open and you can do what ever you want, it's just in my eyes saying that it is a 2d minecraft is waaaaay underselling terraria. It's a lot more then that, and even a lot more deeper then minecraft too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Jeeze I've not played Terraria in a long time.

Just got the new version now. I love this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm really confused. Did I not read last year that Terraria development was being abandoned?

I heard that same rumour too, was'nt true apparently :D

I heard that same rumour too, was'nt true apparently :D

It was true. They abandoned it. The console ports are not even done by same crowed. Developers were asked for source code so people could mod it etc. So developer instead off made this update! Fair play I say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hmm it's 50% off on Xbox at the moment. Worth picking up on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It was true. They abandoned it. The console ports are not even done by same crowed. Developers were asked for source code so people could mod it etc. So developer instead off made this update! Fair play I say! :)

I'm still confused. So who made this update? If I buy this, will it automatically update on Steam or do I need to mess around?

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm still confused. So who made this update? If I buy this, will it automatically update on Steam or do I need to mess around?

The 1.2 is made by original developer. All you need to do, is double click Terraria Icon and steam will do the updating. :pac:

The console ports are handled by other company.

Zillah wrote: »

Steam updates it for ye, and it's like 70meg or something - honestly, ye cant go wrong with this little beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's gone to the top of the Steam Sales chart (again). That tells you all you need to know about this game and the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love this game, my whole evening yesterday just evaporated, before I knew it it was midnight.
    Playing a new game on a large map and currently constructing my Hellivator! Loving the new rope, making digging so much easier

Advertisement