Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Most from the club got in, think I was the only rejection.

They heard you don't like marathons ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Frankfurt cologne amstradAm ?? Dublin with Thr weather is always a risk. Great marathon though. Nice negative split eoin

Cheers VR. Its Berlin or bust for me though. Well its Berlin or Dublin, no interest in Amsterdam(gave up hookers & weed years ago).
    morceli wrote: »
    You still might get in, if people dont take up the places.

This is true and if that doesnt work out I'll look into the sports travel thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Rejected. Ouch. I'm not used to rejection. :pac:

Relieved.

Rejected too.
    There's only one thing worse that not getting in, and that's getting in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr Stew and I BOTH got a place:D:D
    What are the chances?;) (I reckoned it was highly unlikely we'd both get a place but Mr S reckoned it was a possibility) Either way it'll be another chance for us both to fight for the family marathon PB:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

If for argument sake, someone entered twice with different email address and both entries were accepted, would there be any issue with this when collecting the number?

Obviously the other entry would be for someone else which I understand is not allowed..just curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Marthastew wrote: »
    Mr Stew and I BOTH got a place:D:D
    What are the chances?;) (I reckoned it was highly unlikely we'd both get a place but Mr S reckoned it was a possibility) Either way it'll be another chance for us both to fight for the family marathon PB:)

Super! :D Face off! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

tunguska wrote: »
    Cheers VR. Its Berlin or bust for me though. Well its Berlin or Dublin, no interest in Amsterdam(gave up hookers & weed years ago).

This is true and if that doesnt work out I'll look into the sports travel thing.

Entered on 2 different email accounts & both accepted, not sure if u could use one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Entered on 2 different email accounts & both accepted, not sure if u could use one of these?

Also, in the same predicament...I am hesitant to give the second entry away to a friend in the off-chance they somehow pull that entry or even both...Would be a long way to go (and a lot of money) to find that out...

Not sure if they will somehow monitor this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Also, in the same predicament...I am hesitant to give the second entry away to a friend in the off-chance they somehow pull that entry or even both...Would be a long way to go (and a lot of money) to find that out...

If you just register one of your entries, the other one will be freed up and passed onto another runner after the entry deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Thats a risk I wouldn't take, take the entry and let the other one be used for the second round
    Four of us headed over from the club and 3 were asked for ID when collecting our numbers. As far as I could see most were asked for ID

Yeah its probably not worth the risk of it...I fully expect to get asked for ID (says so very prominently on website) so I guess they will take a record of the image on it which will be checked when the same name tries to collect a number.

Yeah its probably not worth the risk of it...I fully expect to get asked for ID (says so very prominently on website) so I guess they will take a record of the image on it which will be checked when the same name tries to collect a number.

I doubt that very much. I can't see how they would catch you unless you tried to collect both numbers at the exact same time :D. But really not worth taking the risk on a friend who may or may not decide to do the race; if you don't have anyone who really wants the number (and is prepared to run it in your name) then I think it is much better just to free it up for someone else.

Hi Meno, actually I do have someone who really wants to run the race and would be travelling with us. A couple of us got an entry but he didn't. And I have actually gotten a second one as well using the other email.

I am very apprehensive to give him the second spot, in case they somehow will spot that both entries are under my name and disqualify both. Then we both would have wasted our money going to Berlin and not getting in...

The only way I see that happening is for example, when I collect the first entry they scan my ID...Then when I go to collect the other one (also in my name), they somehow decide to check against that scanned image and spot that its the same person :)

Maybe I am just being paranoid

Hi Meno, actually I do have someone who really wants to run the race and would be travelling with us. A couple of us got an entry but he didn't. And I have actually gotten a second one as well using the other email.

I am very apprehensive to give him the second spot, in case they somehow will spot that both entries are under my name and disqualify both. Then we both would have wasted our money going to Berlin and not getting in...

The only way I see that happening is for example, when I collect the first entry they scan my ID...Then when I go to collect the other one (also in my name), they somehow decide to check against that scanned image and spot that its the same person :)

They don't scan the ID (I say this having been to Berlin twice and collecting my number) and even if they did, do you not have a second ID you could use? You'd know if they scan the ID after you collect the first number.

Yeah I could bring 2 ID's...Im just a bit paranoid I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

With 71,000 entries and a very vox-poppish reading of this thread it would appear that many people entered multiple times.

I have a lot optimism that all the actual people that want a place will get one especially considering the like of the 5 entry lads.

Maybe your friend should wait for round two LloydChristmas and then he has an entry in his own name and no one is wasting nervous energy worrying about getting kicked out of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Peterx wrote: »
    With 71,000 entries and a very vox-poppish reading of this thread it would appear that many people entered multiple times.

I have a lot optimism that all the actual people that want a place will get one especially considering the like of the 5 entry lads.

Imagine if everyone had only entered once :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I entered once.
    Silly me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did they not require date of birth/home address and all that other good stuff? I entered the Tokyo lottery (unsuccessfully) and the entry process was pretty detailed. You'd have to work pretty hard for your multiple entries and they could feasibly cross-reference and disqualify you at any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I entered as well... only once though. I'm too honest. Anyone know when the draw is?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Muppet Man wrote: »
    I entered as well... only once though. I'm too honest. Anyone know when the draw is?

last week, check your spam folder for
    office@scc-events.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Have a deferred entry for this from last year. Great that they give you until 1st April to sign up if you want to take part next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

I would think that those lucky enough to get 2 places should give one back, that would be the right thing to do etc etc blah blah

speaking in more real terms, what runner is going to go and train for the entire summer for this, not knowing if their entry will be cancelled come expo day :eek:?

did Berlin this year, ID seemed mandatory - in fact it was the only thing they looked for if I recall correctly, that and the registration e-mail

also at the expo on registration a wrist band was placed on your wrist(concert/gig type) and that was needed to get into start on the day - that system is not beyond cracking obviously, just a further obstacle

presumably when you register you'll be putting in DOB's etc
    presumably if lots of people did multiple entries they'll be looking closely at names and DOB's on entries and ID's
    if two Paddy Murphys from IRL enter with same DOB I'd imagine they might smell a rat fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishinVan

I'm hoping many are in your position and give up that one extra spot :) My wife and I both pre registered but only she got in. We're keeping our fingers crossed that I'll get in on the 12th after people forget or choose not to complete their registrations. Worst case scenario, I'll use one of the "tours" to get in

Yeah...I have decided that I am not about to go through the whole summer with the lingering thought that I may get kicked out of the marathon :eek:

I also imagine that there will be a lot of entries go back into the pool. The process was so easy to enter multiple times that it was a bit foolish not to have entered a few times IMO...

The entry form was:

First Name
    Last Name
    DOB
    EMAIL

Yeah...I have decided that I am not about to go through the whole summer with the lingering thought that I may get kicked out of the marathon :eek:

I also imagine that there will be a lot of entries go back into the pool. The process was so easy to enter multiple times that it was a bit foolish not to have entered a few times IMO...

The entry form was:

First Name
    Last Name
    DOB
    EMAIL

I thought about doing multiple entries but it said if you were found out doing that that they would disqualify. Got paranoid and just put in the one.... Now I'm regretting not putting in a few, just to at least guarantee my one spot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

jfh wrote: »

That never even occurred to me. I would definitely take one of those entries if thats possible.

That never even occurred to me. I would definitely take one of those entries if thats possible.

Can't be passed on to anyone. The person who gets in the ballot is the only one that can register :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

entered once and got in....blessed.
    Now registered for Boston and Berlin 2014...going to be a great year :D

Advertisement