Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

loughie wrote: »
    Mid-training slump at the moment. Ran the rock n roll half, new PB by just under a minute 1:23:25........margins look tight for sub3!

Wouldn't have thought so. That's an excellent time in my book. McMillan has you at 2:55:XX and even adding in a few mins to allow for McMillan's ever present optimism you look like you're well on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mid-training slump at the moment. Ran the rock n roll half, new PB by just under a minute 1:23:25........margins look tight for sub3!

Big mileage week finished with an awful 20 miler (meant to be 22 miles!). I was in a heap finishing it. Took Monday off to recover but bonked on a tempo last night!
    Signed up for Tullamore half at end of month, last tune-up before Berlin. Hope training going well for everyone.

That was a nice PB to bag at this stage. Take it handy, get fully recovered and you will be flying again by the end of the month. Although you should probably take how you recovered from RnR into consideration when deciding on your plan for Tullamore...once bitten and all that.

Keep the faith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ran the rock n roll half, new PB by just under a minute 1:23:25........margins look tight for sub3!

I initially read that as margins look right for sub3 - which to me they do! If you keep that up you'll easily make it.

I haven't done a half yet this summer and am thinking I might aim for Tullamore too to see where I'm at. I might be leaving it late but I don't have a whole lot of choice at this stage. I missed the RnR and can't make Clonmel so I'm quickly running out of options.

I initially read that as margins look right for sub3 - which to me they do! If you keep that up you'll easily make it.

I haven't done a half yet this summer and am thinking I might aim for Tullamore too to see where I'm at. I might be leaving it late but I don't have a whole lot of choice at this stage. I missed the RnR and can't make Clonmel so I'm quickly running out of options.

Longford might be an option....if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Ferris B wrote: »
    McMillan has you at 2:55:XX and even adding in a few mins to allow for McMillan's ever present optimism you look like you're well on target.

Qualify the tight margins with last years DCM. I ran 1:24:14 for Dublin Half and then 3:01:26 for DCM - 1:19 + split. Was happy with it, left nothing out there! I find McMillan a good indicator of what you can aim for but I find the marathon has more variables to contend with than the shorter races. Nutrition, pace, training, recovery etc has to be bang on and then you have to hope the weather plays ball.

I think the main thing is to get to the start line in as good a shape as possible and give yourself every chance to achieve your target time. I think I'm on track with the odd wobble. Got back on the horse for 14 miles tonight and felt good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Qualify the tight margins with last years DCM. I ran 1:24:14 for Dublin Half and then 3:01:26 for DCM - 1:19 + split. Was happy with it, left nothing out there! I find McMillan a good indicator of what you can aim for but I find the marathon has more variables to contend with than the shorter races. Nutrition, pace, training, recovery etc has to be bang on and then you have to hope the weather plays ball.

I think the main thing is to get to the start line in as good a shape as possible and give yourself every chance to achieve your target time. I think I'm on track with the odd wobble. Got back on the horse for 14 miles tonight and felt good :)

I reckon you're right on track. Just keep it going and don't doubt yourself!

Longford might be an option....if you can afford it.

€50??! F***********ck that.

Have signed up for Tullamore half at the end of the month. I think I'm going to need that to see where I'm at. I've a horrible feeling I've gotten my pacing and general training all wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

F*cking hell lads.
    It's a bit early for taper madness! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

On a sort of related point - As the rest of ye are probably in the same boat i.e. reaching the peak of training over the next couple of weeks etc. I was just wondering on general nutrition. Ok, I understand we need to eat well and I know what to eat etc. But I am starting to feel tired, very tired even on rest days etc. Do any of ye take supplements/Tonics etc that help counter the fatigue the body begins to feel?

I had a look online and came across ARGI+, have any of ye used it and what do you think or is there an alternative that I could try. Just something that can help maintain immunity and energy levels

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    On a sort of related point - As the rest of ye are probably in the same boat i.e. reaching the peak of training over the next couple of weeks etc. I was just wondering on general nutrition. Ok, I understand we need to eat well and I know what to eat etc. But I am starting to feel tired, very tired even on rest days etc. Do any of ye take supplements/Tonics etc that help counter the fatigue the body begins to feel?

I had a look online and came across ARGI+, have any of ye used it and what do you think or is there an alternative that I could try. Just something that can help maintain immunity and energy levels

Try getting more sleep before considering supplements. Whatever sleep you're getting now , get more . It's free too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Try getting more sleep before considering supplements. Whatever sleep you're getting now , get more . It's free too.
    Plus one to that...,1 hr per night xtra sleep per night over a week equals a extra nights sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just got this via email if anyone interested in late entry.

=========================

Last starting spots available to participate in the 2014 BMW BERLIN MARATHON on September 2014

After many of the 74,000 runners registered for the drawing were left empty-handed, you now have the unique opportunity to get one of the remaining starting spots for the BMW BERLIN-MARATHON on September 28th and donate for children with heart diseases at the same time.

After having received remaining starting spots from tour operators, partners and sponsors we are able to offer these spots to runners who have been holding out on a chance to participate.

The participation fee is 158 euros, of which 60 euros is being donated to a charity project of the German Heart Centre (Deutsches Herzzentrum). The donation goes to support a sport and mobility project for children with heart problems.

Register at http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/service/charity.html.

SCC EVENTS GmbH
    Olympiapark Berlin
    Hanns-Braun-Straße/Adlerplatz

14053 Berlin

www.scc-events.com

Sound advise and a bargain all in one. Good man, Ferris.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

2weekends ago on my long run I didn't take much fuel onboard and I felt really wreaked afterwards. On Saturday I did 20miles with gel at the start, 1hr in and 2hr in and drank a sports drink and I felt great afterwards so check to make sure you are fueling ur runs. I'm not into "tonics" but then I love food 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

Did 32.2km on Sat (training in km as Berlin is marked in km) as I like the idea of having just 10km extra to do. Heading to Oxford Friday morning until Mon night so had to do 26km tonight. So much harder doing a long run after work, legs felt sore towards the end but I'm glad I haven't missed this weeks long run. I definitely need to get the foam roller out more. Good luck with the training everyone.

had to do 26km tonight. So much harder doing a long run after work, legs felt sore towards the end

Totally agree with this. Ran 18 miles on Sunday with no issues. The 16 after work last night were difficult to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Ran 18 miles on Sunday with no issues. The 16 after work last night were difficult to say the least.

I'm way behind in training and did 26.6km on Monday evening after work (and a heavy 4 days of partying in Glasgow!) and felt like crap, with a real slow shuffle towards the end. I was considering looking for a deferral but you guys give me some hope that all is not necessarily lost!! I'll defer my deferral decision for a week or two.
    Regardless, I'll be heading to Berlin for the party anyways!!
    #priorities! :D

Did 32.2km on Sat (training in km as Berlin is marked in km) as I like the idea of having just 10km extra to do. Heading to Oxford Friday morning until Mon night so had to do 26km tonight. So much harder doing a long run after work, legs felt sore towards the end but I'm glad I haven't missed this weeks long run. I definitely need to get the foam roller out more. Good luck with the training everyone.

I have 22 miles to look forward to after work tomorrow evening. I'm off to Galway to destroy my body on a stag for the weekend (last bit of boozing before Berlin) so I need to get the run in before I go.

It's funny though, I don't mind long runs in the evenings. Just as long as I remember to eat before I leave work. When I was training for Paris last year I did all my long runs on Friday evenings so I had my weekends free. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    loughie|3:01:26|2:59:12|
    FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx|
    yaboya1|3:08:26|2:59:59|
    withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|
    jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00
    PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59
    benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|
    Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|
    dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|
    belcarra|3:21:12|3:40:00|
    niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|
    jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|
    Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|
    Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55|

I said I'd put up a target time towards the end of August. Colours are now firmly nailed blu tacked to the mast.There's still a lot of work yet to do in order to achieve it though.

I just wish Yaboya would change his target time as mine looks ridiculous ahead of him.

Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    loughie|3:01:26|2:59:12|
    FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx|
    yaboya1|3:08:26|2:59:59|
    withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|
    jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00
    PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59
    benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|
    Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|
    dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|
    belcarra|3:21:12|3:40:00|
    niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|
    jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|
    Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|
    Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55|

I said I'd put up a target time towards the end of August. Colours are now firmly nailed blu tacked to the mast.There's still a lot of work yet to do in order to achieve it though.

I just wish Yaboya would change his target time as mine looks ridiculous ahead of him.

Welcome on board. I knew you would give into it eventually.....now let's stay healthy, keep the faith and go for it!!

Anyway after seeing your garmin stats for today's MP run if you hadn't done this I would have outted you.....as if you weren't going for sub 3 after that you should have been:)

I agreed with your comment on Yaboya. I look at his recent performances and think to myself one of us has their target wrong.....and I hope it is not me:D

• Advertisement

1:20:17 in the Longford HM yesterday :).
    I'll update my target time at the beginning of my taper ;)

Got the 18 miles wi 14 MP done Sunday MP - average 6:45 finished strong. Tullamore Half this weekend and then roll down into Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Had been worried about my training, but decided to take it very easy all last week before the HM in Letterkenny on Sunday. Managed to do it in 1:38 (on a tough enough course), so very happy. If I can hit a couple more 20 mile runs in the next two weeks, think I should be in decent shape for 3:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Just in case there is someone out there who desperately wants to do Berlin, I have a place with Sportstravel that can be changed to another name . PM me if you are that person . Unfortunately an injury looks like it has scuppered me this year, so if I can get someone else using the entry incl flights and hotel etc , the better for me obviously .

Tullamore Half this weekend and then roll down into Berlin!

I might see you in Tullamore! Not that I know you or anything!

That half will decide everything for me. My training seems to be going ok and my LSRs are all comfortable and my medium PMP runs are going to plan. I'm still thinking I might be back to update the prediction table but I won't be doing anything until after I cross the finish line in Tullamore.

I might see you in Tullamore! Not that I know you or anything!

I'll be there with another lad from the club, Newbridge AC - Green singlet. I'll be the short lad :) Give me a shout. It would be good to bump into any Berliner's before the marathon!

It would be good to bump into any Berliner's before the marathon!

We'll be drinking plenty of Berliner's after the marathon ;)

p_2592_1936_1c23ad87-103b-4bb4-861e-6addafb8da40.jpeg

I'll be there with another lad from the club, Newbridge AC - Green singlet. I'll be the short lad :) Give me a shout. It would be good to bump into any Berliner's before the marathon!

Cool, I'll probably be in my navy and red Piranha tri club singlet. I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

looking at the frankfurt thread, they're putting us to shame with all the talk of local beers, after party etc.
    where's good to go for post recovery drinks.
    is there anything we must do in Berlin? it's been years since i was there, i've booked a segway tour on the saturday.

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    looking at the frankfurt thread, they're putting us to shame with all the talk of local beers, after party etc.
    where's good to go for post recovery drinks.
    is there anything we must do in Berlin? it's been years since i was there, i've booked a segway tour on the saturday.

What time are you doing the Segway tour? I was planning on getting my final few miles in at the breakfast run on Saturday morning before heading to the Expo. Should be done & dusted with all that by 12pm at the latest. I'd be up for the Segway tour afterwards.

Advertisement