Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Omackeral wrote: »
    Look at him now.

He was almost ten years younger than Devitt when signed. MASSIVE difference but yeah, let's just ignore that. Rollins could afford to spend a few years in development as he's only now entering his peak whereas Devitt is already at his. If he is stuck in development for two years (which seems about average) he will be 35 before debuting on the main roster or being released. Right at the age you start to decline.

People also seem to be ignoring that there are far more Chris Hero and Colt Canana stories than their are Seth Rollins and Daniel Bryan stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He was almost ten years younger than Devitt when signed. MASSIVE difference but yeah, let's just ignore that. Rollins could afford to spend a few years in development as he's only now entering his peak whereas Devitt is already at his. If he is stuck in development for two years (which seems about average) he will be 35 before debuting on the main roster or being released. Right at the age you start to decline.

People also seem to be ignoring that there are far more Chris Hero and Colt Canana stories than their are Seth Rollins and Daniel Bryan stories.

Actually, a lot of guys are hitting their peak at that age. Young enough to still go, old enough to know what to do to get the best reaction.

Devitt is hugely unlikely to be in NXT for anywhere close to two years - this isn't some piddly little signing. He's big news, and a huge prospect. And a smart guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah people seem to have this weird opinion that once you're 30 your career is essentially over in pro wrestling when that could not be further from the truth. I've said this before (possibly in this same thread) and it pretty much refutes the whole "30 is too old" argument, every single main eventer is WWE's entire history with the exception of The Rock, Cena, Lesnar and Orton have been 30 or in most cases mid to late 30's when they became established main event players.

And at the time most people said it was way too soon to push Lesnar and Orton so hard. Also another point that maybe hits closer to home: Sheamus signed when he was 29 years old, became WWE Champion 1 month before his 32nd birthday. So he did alright. Plus Devitt is in much better condition cardio-wise than proably half the roster. Age is becoming less and less of an issue, if you can go and have a look/charisma they will sign you, llook at Batista and Titus O'Neil as examples.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed. Age debates always seem odd to me, as wrestling isn't bound by the same physical peak rules like football is. Plus 5 years in WWE is plenty. A high turnover of wrestlers at their peak made the Hulkamania and Attitude Era so great, as opposed to Randy Orton boring the arse off fans for the last, what, 7 years? He's in his 12th year in WWE and oh God it's an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Agreed. Age debates always seem odd to me, as wrestling isn't bound by the same physical peak rules like football is. Plus 5 years in WWE is plenty. A high turnover of wrestlers at their peak made the Hulkamania and Attitude Era so great, as opposed to Randy Orton boring the arse off fans for the last, what, 7 years? He's in his 12th year in WWE and oh God it's an eternity.

And he could probably go for another 12 years as well.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

* cm punk went to ovw in september 2005, debuted on main roster in june 2006
    * daniel bryan spent just over a month in fcw at his own request in early 2010
    * seth rollins went to fcw sept 2010, made his main roster debut in nov 2012
    * dean ambrose debuted fcw in may 2011 and main roster nov 2012
    * cesaro fcw in september 2011, main roster in april 2012
    * harper nxt may 2012, main roster july 2013

leaving out bryan and punk the average time it took the other guys to debut on the main roster was 16 months

*neville nxt oct 2012, main roster ?
    *zayn nxt feb 2013, main roster ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Some guy on /wooo made a prediction as to what Devitt might be involved with should he be called up to the main roster quickly. If this happened, it would be immense.
    Expect Devitt to debut as the new Evolution Young Boy. Before eventually turning on Triple H, winning King of the Ring, declaring himself King Devitt and taking control of Evolution filled out with other good NXT guys.

Specifically brought up as Trips new "face of the company" after Orton has failed him so many times. And unlike Bryan he's completely hand picked by Trips, leading to Devitt vs Bryan feud over the world title. Because if the Shield have taught us anything, is that if you want guys to be main eventers, bring them in as main eventers.

When he eventually turns, have his pimp bomb moment in his turn promo being: "You're a fake old man and EVOLUTION IS REAL!"

Lots of people are saying that King Devitt would be a great title to give him if they brought back KOTR. It sounds very good. I like that storyline myself personally. But I just hope he doesn't turn into another spot monkey like Shelton/Bourne and lumped in the mid card for eternity. But since trips has pursued him so much for about two years, I dont see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Amirite in thinking there's a NXT live special penciled in for September?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Amirite in thinking there's a NXT live special penciled in for September?

Yep. The loose idea is to do them quarterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm happy for him. Great opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Oh, and just to add.

I'm perfectly fine with him being on NXT for a while. Let him learn the style and all that, and the NXT roster is a little weak right now. Devitt being there will really add to the credibility of the show and make for some great matches imo.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Oh, and just to add.

I'm perfectly fine with him being on NXT for a while. Let him learn the style and all that, and the NXT roster is a little weak right now. Devitt being there will really add to the credibility of the show and make for some great matches imo.

As most here should know WWE has lots and lots of internal rules/ways of doing things. As the Voices of Wrestling podcast used for examples:

- Not working up the ramp after a match with your back turned to the camera. Instead essentially walk backwards up it (and pointing or whatever).

- Answering the backstage interviewer's question back to them before answering them. You know:

Renee: "What are your thoughts on facing Randy Orton tonight on Smackdown?"

Sheamus "My thoughts on facing Randy Orton tonight on Smackdown, Renee? *Huh* Well Renee....."

I think Devitt would love the Performance Centre as he loves the gym and Wrestling training. Also his student Becky Lynch is there as his friend Adrian Neville to show him around. Could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

rovert wrote: »
    Yep. The loose idea is to do them quarterly.
    That would suit me if he debuted on that show. Be a big short-term goal of course, maybe unlikely though. Be great to see him on my TV in HD with WWE production anyway.

Finger's crossed he says no to the singlet :pac:

I assume Devitt has only three matches left on the Indies:

May 18th vs Zack Sabre for Progress Wrestling, Camden, England
    May 25th vs Doug Williams for Revoultion Pro Wrestling, Sittingbourne, England
    June 28th vs Dunkan Disorderly for Wrestling.ie, Newtownards, Northern Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

- Answering the backstage interviewer's question back to them before answering them. You know:

Renee: "What are your thoughts on facing Randy Orton tonight on Smackdown?"

Sheamus "My thoughts on facing Randy Orton tonight on Smackdown, Renee? *Huh* Well Renee....."

Ugh. I really wish I hadn't read this. Going to bug me now that it's been pointed out :(

Ugh. I really wish I hadn't read this. Going to bug me now that it's been pointed out :(

Pointed out, Teamshadowclan? *Huh*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

at the end of this year nxt might have zayn, neville, kalisto, kenta and devitt all at the top of the card :eek:

then wwe can bring them up to the main roster together after mania 31 as part of a 5 man group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who get put down by 3.5MB. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Re: King Devitt

Sorry if I missed this along the way.. Surely he's not keeping his own name or was he able to negotiate that?

Besides WWE wanting to own they thing "Prince" would be weird to just have without a back story or gimmick. Also could be seen as too heelish for a babyface if he is a babyface in WWE.

Prince Devitt was always a weird name. Japanese people were struggling with Fergal as they have issues pronouncing Rs. King Devitt was the first suggestion as New Japan was thinking about Celtic mythology and but it was then thought Fergal was too young at the time to be a King. So he was busted down to Prince.

Also for my sake people don't suggest HILARIOUS Irish names for him. There has been enough of that from American fans online. :p

• Advertisement

It's such a cool name.. Pity they're probably going to give him something shít.

What are the American's suggesting? Probably won't be any worse than most of the names on the current roster.

It's such a cool name.. Pity they're probably going to give him something shít.

What are the American's suggesting? Probably won't be any worse than most of the names on the current roster.

Patrick O'McLuckycharms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Plus Devitt has very little real name value in the US that might them think about letting him keep the name. I just hope it isn't too cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

€5 on Johnny/Jimmy Devitt

Jerry McDevitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

OMG hope they don't make him the little jimmy character from r truths promos a while back :eek::eek:

I joke I joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Little Jimmy McDevitt.

His gimmick is that he used to play in an Irish Showband called 'Little Jimmy and The Mainliners.' He sings Dicky Rock type songs after each win, the Fed hire young-ones to throw knickers in the ring at him, the girls crying and screaming at him "Spit on me Jimmy."

That would draw big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Patrick Guinness

Patrick Guinness

Stop

Image4411.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm very happy to hear he has signed. I hope it works out well for him. Can't wait to see how it goes.
    It is probably the last Irish signing for a long time and a major accomplishment for Devitt.

I was just thinking this is probably a golden age from an Irish wrestling standpoint. The prospect of having Sheamus, Devitt and Becky on a show would be a fantastic feat for a small island like this. It might not get better than this for a long, long time.

Advertisement