Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax reforms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

In fairness, you cant expect free access to someone else's land
    If this were true, what is the point of owning land in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I agree with Mad Lad. Any farmer worth his salt would have no problem allowing people to walk along the edge of their fields, providing they don't disturb any livestock, crops etc and take proper precautions when out rambling, because they're not doing any harm and in reality it would only be a few people now and again that would do such walks.

In a lot of the Irish countryside, there's nowhere to walk. Either you just go the road or you have to drive miles to find some forest or park somewhere. Ironically, despite being the most built up part of the Country, I find Dublin has more walking/cycling areas than anywhere else. Out in Fingal, there's loads of public parks and trails all over the shop and equally in the Dublin hills to the south.

Plenty of farmers go out of their way to accommodate hunts on their land and those horses would trample the ground up a good bit whereas a few aul ramblers here and there would do no harm a'tall. To be fair, I think most Country farmers wouldn't have a problem with a fella going across Country for a stroll but then you could always come to a field where one arse hole kicks up a stink for treading on his grass.

e60 535d wrote: »
    In fairness, you cant expect free access to someone else's land
    If this were true, what is the point of owning land in the first place?

Why allow single individuals own so much ?

I'm not talking signing over huge lands, there are plenty of space for decent cycle lanes and trails throughout Ireland just the width for two cyclists to pass comfortably with maybe a few tress each side.

I was in Germany in the Summer and I couldn't believe so many people using the cycle lanes/forest trails. So many tourists on tours cycling from village to town to city covering huge distances and staying in hotels etc, stopping for lunch. Spending money. I've even seen people charge their leccy bike batteries in cafes over lunch !

As I said, could be a little earner for farmers, could offer coffee/lunch and rooms for the night.

Jesus. wrote: »
    in reality it would only be a few people now and again that would do such walks.

I think a lot more people would use them if they were not afraid of being ran off the land, as I say one farmer behind me couldn't care less but he knows me and his wife was my teacher. The farm on the other side I'd get ran off or ran over, or shot. lol
    Jesus. wrote: »
    I think most Country farmers wouldn't have a problem with a fella going across Country for a stroll but then you could always come to a field where one arse hole kicks up a stink for treading on his grass.

Most maybe but people are afraid to go through fields. There are some absolutely cantankerous ass holes and some have sighs keep out bla bla.

If there are designated cycle paths and trails then people know, well this is where I'm supposed to be I won't go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Don't be surprised should there be another hike in motor tax in this coming budget.

I think it is completely unfair that the govt have increased the tax intake across both systems last year (both CC and CO2 rates)

The CC system died back in 2008 when the CO2 system was introduced, the CC rates should have been frozen at that point.

And for those that harp on about knowing the rate of tax when the car was purchased, what a load of rubbish, It now costs €400 more to tax my car than it did when I purchased it and if doing it by the quarter add another €200

It amazes me how you can spread an insurance premium of 400 euro over 12 months with most insurers but as for a 1,500 road tax disk, no you must pay it all upfront or face 13% charge each quarter to pay it quarterly, while the typical insurance policy has an 8% charge on the policy if spread out.

An interesting experiment would be to administer the tax via the insurance companies and get a package of insurance and motor tax spread out over 12 months while also keeping the option of post office for those that want to renew tax disk in person.

My 2Cents!

• Advertisement

As I said before, the property tax and water charges will most likely generate far more than any motor tax alone so there isn't the necessity to continue to screw the motorist, in the end we'll be paying more anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    It amazes me how you can spread an insurance premium of 400 euro over 12 months with most insurers but as for a 1,500 road tax disk, no you must pay it all upfront or face 13% charge each quarter to pay it quarterly, while the typical insurance policy has an 8% charge on the policy if spread out.

What the gits will tell you is that the 13% higher price is the real price and if you pay in one go you're getting a "discount".

Gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's a complete nonsense statement: why can't we force you to share your Prius with your neighbours - because it's yours.

Having more publicly owned and publicly accessed land I have no problem with, but not privately owned and publicly accessed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'm not talking signing over huge lands, there are plenty of space for decent cycle lanes and trails throughout Ireland just the width for two cyclists to pass comfortably with maybe a few tress each side.

I was in Germany in the Summer and I couldn't believe so many people using the cycle lanes/forest trails. So many tourists on tours cycling from village to town to city covering huge distances and staying in hotels etc, stopping for lunch. Spending money. I've even seen people charge their leccy bike batteries in cafes over lunch !

As I said, could be a little earner for farmers, could offer coffee/lunch and rooms for the night.

Why can't someone own so much?

People cut fences, leave gates open (livestock get out) and believe it or not they will rob anything.
    We are very different than Germany.

Do you own a house and garden?

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's a complete nonsense statement: why can't we force you to share your Prius with your neighbours - because it's yours.

Having more publicly owned and publicly accessed land I have no problem with, but not privately owned and publicly accessed.

I'm not stealing, i'm just borrowing , your prius/dog/house etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

e60 535d wrote: »
    I'm not stealing, i'm just borrowing , your prius/dog/house etc etc

Nah...im borrowing his women

Scortho wrote: »
    Nah...im borrowing his women
    I considered writing that but didnt want to be labelled as sexist?!

Jesus you'd swear I was asking for every bit of land to be signed over. :rolleyes:

People cut fences, leave gates open (livestock get out) and believe it or not they will rob anything.
    We are very different than Germany.

people can cut fences, leave gates open and rob anything as you say anyway so what's the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Typical boards - an incorrectly titled thread about motor tax turns into a battle between landowners and people who want permission to cycle through heaps of cow sh!te.

We'll get this lad after yous....

Richard-Harris

Jesus you'd swear I was asking for every bit of land to be signed over. :rolleyes:

I guess you just don't understand.
    I wouldn't like any strangers walking around our place.

people can cut fences, leave gates open and rob anything as you say anyway so what's the difference ?

It would happen 10 times more. But you don't really care about that do you?

Do you know if cattle get onto the road the farmer can be liable for them!

So do you own anything?

It would happen 10 times more. But you don't really care about that do you?

Do you know if cattle get onto the road the farmer can be liable for them!

So do you own anything?

Don't be over reacting, ffs ! It "would happen 10 times" ? that's ridiculous.

So you would think that the way it is now is best ?

It's no wonder this country will never change.

I guess you just don't understand.
    I wouldn't like any strangers walking around our place.

Really ? Strangers are walking around peoples homes all day and night.

People pass the by the road here all day and night and they don't come in and do me any harm !

Really ? Strangers are walking around peoples homes all day and night.

People pass the by the road here all day and night and they don't come in and do me any harm !

Do you have a farm, hippy boy?

If not, what would you know about it.
    Your ignorance towards this is something else.
    People pass my house all the time with no problem, but usually if someone is walking around the farm yard they are looking to take something.
    Now if the law said they can walk where they want, how can someone stop them?

• Advertisement

Don't be over reacting, ffs ! It "would happen 10 times" ? that's ridiculous.

So you would think that the way it is now is best ?

It's no wonder this country will never change.

If it happens a certain amount now, can you imagine what it would be like with a multiple of people walking through.
    It's simple maths.

I have not heard of any damage through lands in the Wicklow way ? so what makes people think cycle paths through certain lands will encourage vandals ?

I remember talks of it before and the IFA didn't seem against the idea so the majority of Farmers might approve of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

And for those that harp on about knowing the rate of tax when the car was purchased, what a load of rubbish, It now costs €400 more to tax my car than it did when I purchased it and if doing it by the quarter add another €200
    I'm one of the them harping on about it, I'm not saying its right, I'm saying its naive to expect anything else, I mean come on, government rakes in tens of millions extra through motor tax hike or cuts OAP by a few quid a week... one will have serious backlash, the other will have none, which one would you pick?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I'm one of the them harping on about it, I'm not saying its right, I'm saying its naive to expect anything else, I mean come on, government rakes in tens of millions extra through motor tax hike or cuts OAP by a few quid a week... one will have serious backlash, the other will have none, which one would you pick?

Surely they should cut some other stuff aswell though
    It is unfair to expect motorists to bear the brunt. Tax is too high, this level already encourages evasion, anymore and you will be past the point of diminishing returns.

I have not heard of any damage through lands in the Wicklow way ? so what makes people think cycle paths through certain lands will encourage vandals ?

I remember talks of it before and the IFA didn't seem against the idea so the majority of Farmers might approve of the idea.

I can't see the harm when it's on common ground. But not when it's private property. Most farmers I know would be against it.

Anyway sorry for derailing the thread.
    Let's just hope they don't increase cc tax anymore:)

Electric car tax should be increased though :)

Surely they should cut some other stuff aswell though
    It is unfair to expect motorists to bear the brunt. Tax is too high, this level already encourages evasion, anymore and you will be past the point of diminishing returns.

with the new SORN system, I honestly don't believe that more revenue will be lost due to the point of diminishing returns effect than will be raised by raising the rate...

The notion that "fairness" is still being discussed is so laughable, what the hell is "FAIR" in this country?!

with the new SORN system, I honestly don't believe that more revenue will be lost due to the point of diminishing returns effect than will be raised by raising the rate...

The notion that "fairness" is still being discussed is so laughable, what the hell is "FAIR" in this country?!

Taxes should all be fair. Like laws, an unjust tax can (and should) be ignored.
    BTW I don't think the SORN system will make much of a difference outside the pale
    People will declare off road and still drive. No garda checks in the backarse of nowhere

Is it possible to submit a rf100a from Tuesday next week for the months Aug & Sept. Or is the Monday the cutoff?

Taxes should all be fair. Like laws, an unjust tax can (and should) be ignored.
    BTW I don't think the SORN system will make much of a difference outside the pale
    People will declare off road and still drive. No garda checks in the backarse of nowhere
    that comment wasn't aimed at you r60 535d... what the hell is fair in this country, a marginal rate of tax of over 50% when you earn over E32800 (i.e nothing given the cost of living), pensioners taking virtually no hit (because they are pretty much untouchable) new entrants into the PS having massively reduced pay, hundreds of thousands having to emigrate, private sector debt being turned into sovereign debt. politicians, bankers, regulators not being held to account? I could go on and on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

that comment wasn't aimed at you r60 535d... what the hell is fair in this country, a marginal rate of tax of over 50% when you earn over E32800 (i.e nothing given the cost of living), pensioners taking virtually no hit (because they are pretty much untouchable) new entrants into the PS having massively reduced pay, hundreds of thousands having to emigrate, private sector debt being turned into sovereign debt. politicians, bankers, regulators not being held to account? I could go on and on...

New public servants are entering at a rate that we can afford to pay.
    There is little point in borrowing money as a state so you can pay your public servants more.
    You shouldn't borrow for day to day spending.

What's not fair is the fact theta those in there current positions in the ps, are earning significantly more than the same person in the office /on the ward.

Advertisement