Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax reforms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Do you pay any sort of income tax in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

LOL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

about half your income goes as income tax and social insurance.
    Social insurance is compulsory, everyone who works must pay it. However if you never work, you still get looked after:confused:
    If your thinking about coming...dont:D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

LOL :pac:

Jesus. No wonder you're in a recession - the govt has got all yer money!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Do you pay any sort of income tax in Ireland? as good as nothing below 20k I think it is and very little up for 32800 as a single person. After that the rate is over 52c in the euro. We have the highest marginal rate in the EU or the one that kicks in at this low an amount, one or the other, possibly both!!!

• Advertisement

See if the E.U was a "country" we might be able to survive a lot better as our Government has never been able to run the country properly.

Having said that, the Germans pay a lot more tax than we do, and it's a far better ran country with much better services.

At this stage I think the E.U as one country would not be such a bad thing. At the end of the Day when Ireland became a free state in 1922 we were left on our own with no money and no economy. And have we been the better of it ? I don't think so because we proved time and time again we can't run the country ourselves and became a laughing stock after the bank bailout. Our only time of economic prosperity was a joke, we blew it big time.

So I think for Ireland the E.U has done a lot for us, and we would be in a far worse state without them.

See if the E.U was a "country" we might be able to survive a lot better as our Government has never been able to run the country properly.

Having said that, the Germans pay a lot more tax than we do, and it's a far better ran country with much better services.

At this stage I think the E.U as one country would not be such a bad thing. At the end of the Day when Ireland became a free state in 1922 we were left on our own with no money and no economy. And have we been the better of it ? I don't think so because we proved time and time again we can't run the country ourselves and became a laughing stock after the bank bailout. Our only time of economic prosperity was a joke, we blew it big time.

So I think for Ireland the E.U has done a lot for us, and we would be in a far worse state without them.
    Let me just say that Im half German and have had one relative over who left a week ago and another leaving tomorrow, you reckon they think Germany and the way its run are the bees knees?! The grass is always greener... Ill tell you what, we have it pretty bloody good over here!!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The grass is always greener... Ill tell you what, we have it pretty bloody good over here!!!

Oh we do do we, how come ?

Mad_Lad the amount of stuff they were complaining about was unreal and they, mainly to do with welfare, it is absolute subsistence over there, including for pensioners. they dont have a minimum wage, which of course has pro's and cons. Also there is no way that their standard of living is anywhere near as high for no to low earners, by low Ill say up to about 33k which is the cut off here. We pay virtually nothing here here in direct taxes up to 20k is it? and then after that its still fairly modest up to 33k as a single person. They have their church tax, water charges, property tax and god knows what ever other taxes that are only coming in here now, that they have been paying for decades...

they have exactly the same complaints about their politicians as ours, i.e. tell you anything to get your vote, then change their tune once in power. Pretty much none of what we bitch about here is unique to Ireland. I hear all this crap about the household charge bla bla bla, if they dont get the money that way, they get it another way, its a zero sum game...

Mad_Lad the amount of stuff they were complaining about was unreal and they, mainly to do with welfare, it is absolute subsistence over there, including for pensioners. they dont have a minimum wage, which of course has pro's and cons. Also there is no way that their standard of living is anywhere near as high for no to low earners, by low Ill say up to about 33k which is the cut off here. We pay virtually nothing here here in direct taxes up to 20k is it? and then after that its still fairly modest up to 33k as a single person. They have their church tax, water charges, property tax and god knows what ever other taxes that are only coming in here now, that they have been paying for decades...

they have exactly the same complaints about their politicians as ours, i.e. tell you anything to get your vote, then change their tune once in power. Pretty much none of what we bitch about here is unique to Ireland. I hear all this crap about the household charge bla bla bla, if they dont get the money that way, they get it another way, its a zero sum game...

Jesus you'd swear Germany were in an IMF/eu/ecb bailout programme not ireland.
    No wonder they're not happy with the Greeks and their 6 extra days holidays for using a computer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Jaysus mad lad I agree with ya! Shocker!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Let me just say that Im half German

How can someone be half German? :confused:

Jesus. wrote: »
    How can someone be half German? :confused:

1 parent IRL 1 parent DE.

Im am also part german. Explains my BMW fanboyism perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

e60 535d wrote: »
    1 parent IRL 1 parent DE.

But is he from Deutschland or aus Irland? :)

e60 535d wrote: »
    Jaysus mad lad I agree with ya! Shocker!

Yeah, end of the world ? :D

Deutschland's economy is booming, their taxes will get higher no doubt in order to pay "US" and others many billions of euro's.

Sure they have no min wage but there are far better opportunities, far more jobs. Better schools and infrastructure.

Proper public parks/forests and cycle lanes while we got dangerous roads and farmland with no right to access.

Deutschland's economy is booming, their taxes will get higher no doubt in order to pay "US" and others many billions of euro's.

Sure they have no min wage but there are far better opportunities, far more jobs. Better schools and infrastructure.

Proper public parks/forests and cycle lanes while we got dangerous roads and farmland with no right to access.

Why do you need access to a working farm?
    Tractors wild animals and stupid humans don't mix well.
    When a man can sue his employer for tripping over a wire that he put on the ground, the last thing we want is people going onto farms where there is uneven ground machinery holes in the ground wild animals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jesus. wrote: »
    But is he from Deutschland or aus Irland? :)

Geboren in Irland ;)

Scortho wrote: »
    Why do you need access to a working farm?
    Tractors wild animals and stupid humans don't mix well.
    When a man can sue his employer for tripping over a wire that he put on the ground, the last thing we want is people going onto farms where there is uneven ground machinery holes in the ground wild animals etc.

because most of the land is owned by farmers, what's left for the people ? we have destroyed 99% of our natural forest. So that's gone, what's left ?

You can't sue for tripping over farm land any more.

I can walk on farm land here on one side, if I go the other side I'll be met with quads and shot guns.

When I go to Germany, the first thing I do is go for rides on the cycle lanes, or through forest trails, it's amazing.

who is being bailed out is fairly subjective...

bear in mind the germans have had the experience of boom to bust. They are a small heavily industrialized country for a long long time with a relatively massive population right in the centre of europe, and low and behold they have the infrastructure youd expect...

my cousin was one of the relatives over and she works with the disabled etc, she said when teachers ask the young students what their ambition is, many of them say to be Hertz 4 ( I dont know if things have gotten that bad here yet, maybe they have) My dad moved over here in the early 80's and he earned and has come out with far more than he would have if he stayed in Germany...

• Advertisement

because most of the land is owned by farmers, what's left for the people ? we have destroyed 99% of our natural forest. So that's gone, what's left ?

You can't sue for tripping over farm land any more.

I can walk on farm land here on one side, if I go the other side I'll be met with quads and shot guns.

When I go to Germany, the first thing I do is go for rides on the cycle lanes, or through forest trails, it's amazing.

I have no problem with forest trails but your asking to go off rambling on someone else's land, thats a working farm.
    I could half understand if the land wasn't in use, fair enough but this is farmland. I can understand organised country trails such as the one to croagh Patrick, or the greenway, but going onto someone elses farm just because you want too without permission isnt fair. If you want to enjoy the countryside etc, theres plenty of forest trails in this country. If that still doesnt satisfy you, find a local farmer, get to know him, buy him a couple of drinks etc. and ask permission.

Anyhow I dont want to have an argument over land in a motors forum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I agree with your comment on the Co2 rates by the way, the vast majority of cars on the Co2 rates are paying SFA...
    SFA or a near resonable rate? The price of fuel is ridiculous. CC rates are too high for those on 1.6 or over. Fuel is too dear for every motorist. Thats the recession though. One can hope FF get elected soon and do the populist thing :o. All motor tax should be the same. If you drive a 1.0l in Dublin doing 5000 km a year you should have to chip in something. The government shouldn't care what people drive as long as they are roadworthy. They dont give a f*ck about the environment the 132 sham shows they just want to artificially pump up car sales. Might not be popular but I think property taxes are the fairest way to pay for local services. People without a car are paying SFA!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Days 298 wrote: »
    SFA or a near resonable rate? The price of fuel is ridiculous. CC rates are too high for those on 1.6 or over. Fuel is too dear for every motorist. Thats the recession though. One can hope FF get elected soon and do the populist thing :o. All motor tax should be the same. If you drive a 1.0l in Dublin doing 5000 km a year you should have to chip in something. The government shouldn't care what people drive as long as they are roadworthy. They dont give a f*ck about the environment the 132 sham shows they just want to artificially pump up car sales. Might not be popular but I think property taxes are the fairest way to pay for local services. People without a car are paying SFA!

Oh ye of short memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

mfceiling wrote: »
    Oh ye of short memories...

Being sarcastic ;) motorists are doomed to be screwed. But the way the electorate vote its only a matter of time. At least the greens ain't making a comeback.

Scortho wrote: »
    I have no problem with forest trails but your asking to go off rambling on someone else's land, thats a working farm.
    I could half understand if the land wasn't in use, fair enough but this is farmland. I can understand organised country trails such as the one to croagh Patrick, or the greenway, but going onto someone elses farm just because you want too without permission isnt fair. If you want to enjoy the countryside etc, theres plenty of forest trails in this country. If that still doesnt satisfy you, find a local farmer, get to know him, buy him a couple of drinks etc. and ask permission.

Anyhow I dont want to have an argument over land in a motors forum:D

There is very small forest trails here, there is one small wood close to me, but it's usually packed because there is nothing else around for miles.

Yes I like to walk on farm land, because it's a change to dangerous no cycle lane back roads. I've nothing else around me, back road or main road to Carlow, how exciting. There is the river Barrow trail which is great, but you can't cycle it, and you got to cycle a back road to get there.

I'm hardly going to go prodding through crops or live stock, give me some credit.

People should go to Germany for a holiday in the summer, it's a beautiful place and you can cycle from villages to towns on lovely smooth cycle paths and decent forest trails, it's an amazing experience to have all those lanes and trails with no traffic. I just can't wait to get on a bike when I get over there once or twice a year.

So tax money can go to some extremely good uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...while we got dangerous roads and farmland with no right to access.

...why on earth would you have access to someone else's private property? And what on earth would taxes have to do with it?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

one thing I do think should be reformed is the NCT, I reckon it should be annual like it is in the uk and with no grace period for new cars. How many cars go in that just about pass on tyres etc, imagine what they will be like in two years if not changed...

one thing I do think should be reformed is the NCT, I reckon it should be annual like it is in the uk and with no grace period for new cars. How many cars go in that just about pass on tyres etc, imagine what they will be like in two years if not changed...

I reckon we should remove the NCT and replace it with the DOE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yup I agree with this my car is a 00 and it is in great condition even the underbody is immaculate it recently got an NCT and flew through it I look after it so it doesn't bother me if I need to test it every year. I have a mate with a 12 Audi and it never gets looked at the EML came on a while back and he didn't even bother to get it looked at even a call to Audi who told him to bring it in didn't persuade him to get it checked.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...why on earth would you have access to someone else's private property? And what on earth would taxes have to do with it?

Why ? because there is little else to do out doors in Ireland, someone owns the land, what else have people got ?

It's not about me being against farmers and I'll do what I want it's about encouraging people to get out of their cars and do more exercise. And safely.

It's about getting walkers and cyclists off dangerous roads, as a cyclist it is dangerous and motorists expect you to cycle at the very edge of the road in order to pass but you can't because of the huge broken surface. It's dangerous. As a walker you got to stop when a car comes and hop into the ditch.

One of the things that crops up when in Germany sometimes is they say it's a beautiful country when the sun shines, but cycling or walking is not something they like to do here and the cycle lanes in Germany attract a "LOT" of tourists. People cycle hundreds of kms and stop at cafes stay in hotels etc it generates revenue.

It's amazing the amount of people cycling and walking over there.

All it takes is a bit of land fenced off away from crops and livestock and not having to lift your bike over 1000 gates and fences. Just a bit of land at the edge of the road away from traffic behind hedges, plant a few trees and Bob's your Uncle, a few trails into interesting places would be nice.

There were talks at one time where they were thinking about linking the towns and villages in Ireland via trails, and I didn't hear objection from the IFA.

If farmers used their brains, the wife could set up some kind of cafe on route bake a few cakes and earn a few extra bob, maybe a place to put the head down for the night !

Where taxes come in of course is to pay towards it, god knows Farmers get enough free money from the E.U.

Advertisement