Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RLWC 2013

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What a Kiwi try that was. Great game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Nermal

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was a great try by nz. Are bbc showing the aussie game aswell?

neris wrote: »
    Was a great try by nz. Are bbc showing the aussie game aswell?

Sadly no, it's on premier or whatever it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

That was a cracker, slick finish for the winning try.

Very disappointing from England fan pov but a fantastic game and good luck to the Kiwis in the final.

Australia battering Fiji. 46 nil with 20 minutes left to play.

Edit: So finished 64 nil, shame Fiji didn't get a score on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great game of league - am I alone though in thinking it a farce calling a competition a World Cup , despite the over-the-top hype from the bbc, ther realistically is only 3 decent teams in league.
    Bit like having GAA World Cup , with ourselves and Aus , and a bunch of minnows or an American football WC , with america and canada and the rest.

thebaz wrote: »
    great game of league - am I alone though in thinking it a farce calling a competition a World Cup , despite the over-the-top hype from the bbc, ther realistically is only 3 decent teams in league.
    Bit like having GAA World Cup , with ourselves and Aus , and a bunch of minnows or an American football WC , with america and canada and the rest.

Realistically there are only 5 or 6 teams that could win the Union World Cup. 10 ( maybe 12 at a push) to win the Football World Cup, 3 Netball, 4 or 5 Hockey, 4 or 5 Ice Hockey, 5 or 6 Cricket, 3 or 4 Basketball etc etc etc.

Some of those numbers may well be one or two out but point is all sports have teams that are in with a chance, and teams that make up the numbers.

You are right that League does realistically only have 3 teams (maybe 2?) capable of winning the World Cup, but I think the other countries have the right to contest the tournament, the same way Ireland have contesting the Cricket World Cup, or GB in Basketball, or the Japanese in Union etc etc etc again.

• Advertisement

You are right that League does realistically only have 3 teams (maybe 2?) capable of winning the World Cup, but I think the other countries have the right to contest the tournament, the same way Ireland have contesting the Cricket World Cup, or GB in Basketball, or the Japanese in Union etc etc etc again.

from what i could gather most of the other teams , including Ireland were made up of Aussies or Northern Englanders - remembering hearing that ther is an Aussie rules WC - personally i think you need a minimum of 6 competetive teams to have a Worldwide competition.
    but it was a great game today.

from what i could gather most of the other teams , including Ireland were made up of Aussies or Northern Englanders - remembering hearing that ther is an Aussie rules WC - personally i think you need a minimum of 6 competetive teams to have a Worldwide competition.
    but it was a great game today.

I absolutely know what you mean, and your point makes complete sense, but I think the spectacle of multi-nation tournaments over-rides some of the harder headed realities. I also wouldn't begrudge teams like Fiji being proud of their achievements getting to the semi-final stage despite knowing the battering that awaited them.

Agree about today though, fantastic game, and hopefully the final will be the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Bloody great game of rugby. Hard cheese for England though, gutted for Sinfield that he missed that final tackle…poor divil…

He managed to lose the game for england in 3 diff ways - missed conversion, shocking kick on the last tackle (really dont know what he was thinking there, put the ball out of play!), and then misses the tackle for the try. Story of his career, great for leeds crap at international level

toomevara wrote: »
    Bloody great game of rugby. Hard cheese for England though, gutted for Sinfield that he missed that final tackle…poor divil…

it was like deja-vu yesterday , except this time Ireland undone by last minute genius , freakiest thing in sport - during the final play yesterday , i kept think good fortune cant strike twice , even allowing for New Zealanders unbelievable never say die attitude and never panic handling & ball skills- sadly i was wrong

it was like deja-vu yesterday , except this time Ireland undone by last minute genius , freakiest thing in sport - during the final play yesterday , i kept think good fortune cant strike twice , even allowing for New Zealanders unbelievable never say die attitude and never panic handling & ball skills- sadly i was wrong

So true, just posted the same on the union forum. Surely one of the most bizarre sporting coincidences....i've said it for years, the thing that separates NZ from the rest is psychology, pure and simple. You saw that in both games this weekend. The more the pressure came on the better the kiwis got, the clarity of thought, the basic skills..whereas we and the English just crumbled....

Final at Old Trafford today, hopefully the Kiwis keep going for one more week and cause another upset this year.

Hope, if there's anyway possible, to make the in goal areas bigger, they were a joke for the SL final, dangerous even.

Prediction: Think the Aussies will really fly out of the traps. Australia by 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Thats just brilliant. What a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Those embankments behind the goalline are lethal.

There should be some padding there to buffer the player from crashing into the ad hoardings.

Thats 2 in the space of a couple of minutes now.

Lapin wrote: »
    Those embankments behind the goalline are lethal.

There should be some padding there to buffer the player from crashing into the ad hoardings.

Cannot believe that was allowed, bonkers. Pure luck someone wasnt seriously injured. We commented on it before on previous occasions like grand finals at old trafford.

As for Australia, utterly clinical, as close to rugby perfection as you're likely to get. Kiwis were never in it.

• Advertisement

Sonny bill named player of tournament, cue impromptu haka from team mates....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/25136098

Advertisement