Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RLWC 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Puts a bit of respectability on the scoreline anyway.

Beat England the weekend and get through to QF's, easy game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Doesn't matter what 17 they put out it will be stronger than that Fijian 17..they will beat us by as much as they like on that evidence.

I know its tough for Ireland, given the squad have little time to prepare, but some of the stuff with ball in hand was so predictable and turgid tonight it was hard to watch.
    Was hoping to see close to the best 17 in Thomond, but based on that, it is doubtful that it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Really disappointed with that from Ireland. We were well and truly duffed-up by a committed, passionate and well marshalled fijian outfit. Some decent individual performances from Ireland, Richards, Finn, Blanch, Grix..but our attack was toothless. We ran out of ideas pretty quickly and you let a team like Fiji run at you all night and you get the type of scoreline we unfortunately witnessed. I worry for the weekend and England…just hope it was the kick in the hole they obviously need.

Problem is I dont see anyone with the skills to make a difference for us. We are really just making up the numbers in this tournament. But I suppose what can we expect, RL isn't exactly a prominent sport in Ireland.

but I look back at the squad we had in 2000 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Rugby_League_World_Cup_squads#Ireland

Not many of them really Irish, but an awesome team with some really high level aussies in there and a pack that could stand up against anyone in the world. Joynt, O'Connor, McDermott, Campion, Williams, Ricketson, Barnhill. Serious players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭mountain

Maybe they should of gone for the teams tattoos....

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/news/show/ireland-get-team-tattoos/

• Advertisement

Great game tonight between tonga and Scotland. Well done to the scots for pulling out of the bag in the end

KevIRL wrote: »
    Great game tonight between tonga and Scotland. Well done to the scots for pulling out of the bag in the end

Brilliant stuff from Scotland. Gave the kind of performance I'd expected from Ireland. In fairness though with playmakers of the calibre of Brough (should he have been the England 6?) and Henderson they're going to pose a stiff challenge for any opposition. Loved the way they moved the Tongans around the park and played such clever, intelligent rugby.

Also have to say at this juncture, I've watched every game and the standard of rugby has been superb, every game a thriller. Long may it continue.

Another high scoring game tonight. USA 32 Cook Islands 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great write up on BBC website about events surrounding last night's game with USA and Cook Islands, 7000 there for such a low key game is fantastic. The organisers have done a great job so far. Learnt from previous years mistakes.

Great to see the US win too.

Terrific tournament up to now.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/24758775?SThisEM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

toomevara wrote: »
    NZ V Samoa..Dear God! Don't think I've seen a more physical game of rugby. Astonishing, powerful, skillful stuff….if you missed it, make sure you catch it. Some stunning rugby and the crowd at Warrington were fantastic, got totally behind the Samoans. God help any team coming up against either of this lot…and Mossy Masoe! A bloody wrecking ball…SBW, one of the biggest howlers I've ever seen...

It was a brilliant game, great stuff.

• Advertisement

Great write up on BBC website about events surrounding last night's game with USA and Cook Islands, 7000 there for such a low key game is fantastic. The organisers have done a great job so far. Learnt from previous years mistakes.

Great to see the US win too.

Terrific tournament up to now.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/24758775?SThisEM

Yeah, brilliant. Reckon there were a lot of folk lying in the long grass waiting for this one to blow up, but it's been a cracking success. I had my doubts about the comp but its been brilliant so far, helped by the quality of the rugby on the field which I can't get over. I'm off to the QF in Headingley, can't bloody wait. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Got tickets for the QF in Wrexham and for the final at OT, can't wait either. Anyone still looking for tickets, even for the Thomond game, use the code DANCE to book either online or by phone and you get them for half price. I got 1 adult 1 kid for Wrexham and 2 adults for the final for £40 in total.

Bit of a whooping for the French tonight, raises my fears about what could happen our lads tomorrow afternoon

Bit of a whooping for the French tonight, raises my fears about what could happen our lads tomorrow afternoon

Kiwis looked like that Samoan game had done 'em a power of good. They made a very decent french outfit look ordinary. Very, very powerful team and with Johnson coming on song a nice combination of the bludgeon and the rapier. I'd say the English will be dreading them in the semi following that.

As for us…well, I worry. Just desperately don't want to see a cricket score. Losing that first game (and the manner of the loss) effectively screwed our WC, just hope the heads haven't gone down. England will be brittle enough following the 'Roos game and if we can stay with them…well who knows….(clutch, straw)

uh oh....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

So this is Rugby league? I see...

30 nil to England at half time, bit too one sided to be entertaining. Hopefully Ireland will produce some kind of creditable 2nd half to stop a big landslide

Edit: finished 42 nil, so Ireland all but out. Much better second half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Suppose it was an expected scoreline really.

So this is Rugby league? I see...

ummm no it isn't, that was an (inexplicably) poor Irish team, playing some terribly poor rugby(alas).

Desperately, desperately disappointing stuff from Ireland….non contest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

toomevara wrote: »
    ummm no it isn't, that was an (inexplicably) poor Irish team, playing some terribly poor rugby(alas).

Desperately, desperately disappointing stuff from Ireland….non contest really.

played better in the second half though

• Advertisement

Big upset with wales knocked out by the USA.

Some game between Italy and Scotland

Some game between Italy and Scotland

So many good games this year, only a few no shows from teams, Ireland being one of them sadly.

So many good games this year, only a few no shows from teams, Ireland being one of them sadly.

Yeah, such a bloody shame. The standard of rugby across the board has been brilliant. Scotland and Italy, for me have been outstanding. Be really interesting to see who faces NZ at Headingley in the QF. The only two real disappointments to my eye are Ireland and Wales…..That aside,Virtually every game I've watched has been a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

the roos are supposed to be in Dublin this week, anyone know where they are staying and training

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭spillit67

Heritage players papering over the cracks for the sport.

Wales and France have long been trumpeted for growth, given pro sides and actually having born or raised players from the country. Both have been flops.

RL in Italy, Scotland and the USA is non existent.

spillit67 wrote: »
    Heritage players papering over the cracks for the sport.

Wales and France have long been trumpeted for growth, given pro sides and actually having born or raised players from the country. Both have been flops.

RL in Italy, Scotland and the USA is non existent.

Last World Cup was full of Heritage players too but don't remember that being as exciting but I can't really argue with anything you have written, you are dead right, but I am pushing that to back of my mind to enjoy the games!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Forgive my ignorance lads but what is a Heritage player?

P_1 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance lads but what is a Heritage player?

Like the grand parent rule in football, only sometimes appears a little bit more tenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭spillit67

Like the grand parent rule in football, only sometimes appears a little bit more tenuous.

I'm pretty sure the rule is the same as it is in football (people switching nations certainly isn't).

The issue with heritage players is that they utterly dominate the competition.

When Ireland in 1990 ect had half the squad born elsewhere for the WC it was understandable. We had significant migration to the UK in the 50s (as well as other decades). We could have fielded a competitive first 11. Anyone could tell football was a very popular sport in this country and there were born and raised quality players from Ireland.

The issue with the likes of Italy is that RL is pretty much non existent there. The administration of the sport is a joke.

When RL puts development effort into France and Wales yet they get put in the kind of performances they have as against these farcical lineups...it isn't good for development.

Advertisement