Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RLWC 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

spillit67 wrote: »

When RL puts development effort into France and Wales yet they get put in the kind of performances they have as against these farcical lineups...it isn't good for development.

Fair enough, to a point, but union has precisely the same issue and I don't hear too much complaining. Look at Italy in the 6N. Rammed full of argentinians, Aussies and anyone else they can find. This is an issue which occurs in many sports. 'Irish" soccer team anyone? You can level all the accusations made at League at Union..the farcical situation with the pacific Islanders, to name but one example...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

toomevara wrote: »
    Fair enough, to a point, but union has precisely the same issue and I don't hear too much complaining. Look at Italy in the 6N. Rammed full of argentinians, Aussies and anyone else they can find. This is an issue which occurs in many sports. 'Irish" soccer team anyone? You can level all the accusations made at League at Union..the farcical situation with the pacific Islanders, to name but one example...

Yep, the likes of the Vunipolas and Brad Barrit play for England despite having no heritage at all, just residential rights, Jamie Salmon played for England and the All Blacks, Brad Thorn played league for Aus and Union for the All Blacks, and it was fine and dandy for Craig Gower to go from Aussie RL to Italy at Union, but apparently its wrong for him to play for them at League. As for Tom court playing for Ireland at Union...

Usual Union hypocrisy.

Maybe they are wasting their time and money trying to get nations without a pedigree in rugby league to suddenly take it up. I guess you can't have a world cup then though.

Has rugby league developed much in Ireland over the last 10-15 years, are more people playing it, are there more clubs?

I think the the only really interesting tournament would be GB&Ireland, Australia, NZ, and a South Sea Islanders Team. That would be a really competitive tournament all rugby league fans would tune into see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think the the only really interesting tournament would be GB&Ireland, Australia, NZ, and a South Sea Islanders Team. That would be a really competitive tournament all rugby league fans would tune into see

Bit like The Rugby League Four Nations?

Yeah but I'd like to see a combined South Sea Islands team because they would be very competitive, otherwise any other team in there become the whipping boys.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'd like to see a combined South Sea Islands team because they would be very competitive, otherwise any other team in there become the whipping boys.

It would be a brilliant idea, wonder if national pride and the politics that go with it, might get in the way, although the West Indies combine nations in cricket quite well, and have done for donkeys years.

Well they did it in union before so it could be done for league too!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Paddypower make Australia 58 point favourites for tonights match

eeeeek

Come on England! Reckon Fiji might make it a close-ish game.

Edit: Didn't realise Steve Prescott had died, so brave during his illness with his charity stuff. Wish a minutes silence was that though, more respectful than applause I think anyway.

Think Fiji were a bit unlucky there, Tomkins got away with it.

Edit: Fiji just scored there, and fully deserved

• Advertisement

All square at half time, England not overly impressive so far imho.

Really enjoyable game so far. Massive, massive physicality from the Fijians, a real handful. Brewing up nicely. Cannot believe that Fiji still have 13 on the field after that spear on Graham..bloody awful tackle. Also do not understand how that Fiji try was disallowed. Tomkins had no chance….Looking forward to the second 40...

Worst possible start for the Fijians….

That's the way to start the 2nd half from England.

Fiji just haven't turned up yet this 2nd half.

Bloody hell, Fijians still in the dressing room..England hitting their straps now...

Was that foot in touch??

Amazing try from Ryan Hall…no better winger in world rugby….

All over now, England walking the 2nd half, good video ref review, took his time, got the right decision.

Amazing try from Ryan Hall…no better winger in world rugby….

Hmmmm..... Remind me again toom, which club does he play for?:D

• Advertisement

Hmmmm..... Remind me again toom, which club does he play for?:D

And you'll be massively unsurprised when I suggest that Burrow should start…;)

Good performance from England, progressing nicely. Chase-Sinfield-Burrow combination looks very good indeed. Pack going well, graham looking good too...

Superb game between France and Samoa last night. God help any team facing Mose Masoe in Saints colours next year. First 40 was the toughest I've seen of the comp thus far. Have to say though France were badly let down by Henry Perenara's anaemic refereeing of some of Samoa's utterly illegal 'tackling'…Good box office but someone's going to be seriously hurt by these guys. I lost count of how many (cop-out) 'on reports' were dished out. Hope Samoa have a big squad because for the next match they're going to need 4 or 5 new faces. Tomas Bosc was illegally and ruthlessly targeted all night…pretty shabby and took the gloss off an otherwise superb game.

The QF (Samoa V Fiji) in Warrington on Sunday has serious potential…..

The QF (Samoa V Fiji) in Warrington on Sunday has serious potential…..

Have my doubts it will finish 13 a side anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Fukuoka Eagle

England VS France in the Quarter Finals.

Only New Zealand and Australia have scored more tries than England, whereas France have scored less tries than anyone else - just two. England could run up a cricket score.

New Zealand and Australia predictably into semis with comfortable wins, Scotland and USA both had good tournaments but well outclassed. England on later, France really need to up their game or it will be straight forward progress for the hosts.

New Zealand and Australia predictably into semis with comfortable wins, Scotland and USA both had good tournaments but well outclassed. England on later, France really need to up their game or it will be straight forward progress for the hosts.

Went to the NZ Scotland game last night. Decent crowd, most of the neutrals behind Scotland but they were utterly outclassed by the Kiwis who really never broke a sweat. The Scots were game and never threw in the towel but NZ a different league. Also Brough's kicking game let him down at precisely the time you didn't want….

So, the semi-finals were as presumably everyone predicted.

23 November: England v New Zealand (13:00) Wembley Stadium, London
    23 November: Australia v Fiji (15:30) Wembley Stadium, London

I reckon New Zealand to win by 10 (hope I'm wrong obviously!) as I am still not convinced by England this tournament. Hopefully in the other game Fiji can keep it close, in this case close is probably within 20 points.

England v Fiji Final please :pac:

So, the semi-finals were as presumably everyone predicted.

23 November: England v New Zealand (13:00) Wembley Stadium, London
    23 November: Australia v Fiji (15:30) Wembley Stadium, London

I reckon New Zealand to win by 10 (hope I'm wrong obviously!) as I am still not convinced by England this tournament. Hopefully in the other game Fiji can keep it close, in this case close is probably within 20 points.

England v Fiji Final please :pac:

Would agree, can't see England beating the Kiwis, they've ben pretty underwhelming all tournament. Really impressed with fiji, showed against Samoa that they're not just all about the biff they, can really play some football. The Fijian back three in particular would grace any team….

• Advertisement

Semi final time. Free viewing of top quality sport on BBC One. Come on England! (though as I've said, fancy the Kiwis)

Now THAT is a haka. Pure menace in that one.

Advertisement