Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

mightyreds wrote: »
    Have to agree jesses idea was the money, hank did all the figuring out where it was and tricking huell into giving up that it was buried.(well the clues that let them believe it was buried)

Tricking Huell was Jesse's idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Tricking Huell was Jesse's idea.

Only Jesse didn't have the faintest about Huell and moving the money, he was in the slammer at the time. Saul only got him out on bail much later.

Torqay wrote: »
    Only Jesse didn't have the faintest about Huell and moving the money, he was in the slammer at the time. Saul only got him out on bail much later.

Jesse identified Huell as the weak link. When Huell thought Jesse was dead from the pic, he told Hank and Gomez about the rental van and the barrels.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Jesse identified Huell as the weak link.

Hardly a stroke of genius. Pinkman turned rat and when rats spill their guts they identify others, complicit in the crimes. Deceiving Huell, the figuring out and trapping Walt was Hank's finest hour.

Hardly a stroke of genius. Pinkman turned rat and when rats spill their guts they identify others, complicit in the crimes. Deceiving Huell, the figuring out and trapping Walt was Hank's finest hour.

Never said it was a stroke of genius. Juts pointing out that you were wrong. ;);););););)

I have no problem with anyone being a rat. I'm not one of the Sopranos. I like Jesse. He's my favourite character.

I agree that it was Hank's finest hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm the opposite hated jesse turning into a rat the burning down the house I didnt mind if he had done it, but the turning walt in just didn't sit right with me didn't like it.

Did he identify huell I didn't realise, the way I see it he gets an idea but the bulk of the plan was usually walt and then hanks doing after.

sorry torquay I'm not sure what you meant when you quoted me I was agreeing with what you'd said, in my post.

As much as I appreciate Pinkman's character and his importance for the show, he is stupid and easy to manipulate and one would be hard pressed to find any "smart move" on his part.

If he doesn't get his shlt together and applies himself in the final two episodes, I can't see him being the last man standing.

mightyreds wrote: »
    sorry torquay I'm not sure what you meant when you quoted me I was agreeing with what you'd said, in my post.

Well, yes, Jesse mentioned the money and he led them to Huell. But he needed to give Hank and Gomie something or he would have been back in jail in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As much as I appreciate Pinkman's character and his importance for the show, he is stupid and easy to manipulate and one would be hard pressed to find any "smart move" on his part.

If he doesn't get his shlt together and applies himself in the final two episodes, I can't see him being the last man standing.

Walt is that you? ;)

Oh and as for no smart moves.............magnets bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

You mean 'trapping' him out in the desert where Hank had no back up and no one in the DEA even knew about so he wound up dead. Yeah genius move. If Hank really thought Walt was so damn evil why did he leave himself so exposed?

• Advertisement

Because the show would have been over after 13 episodes, had Hank and Gomie brought a SWAT team to the party. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

snausages wrote: »
    The big question for me has always been Walt, themes of family, legacy, empire and hubris. The whole Hank thing comes closer to being 'filler' for me.

Hank was family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

TWO DAYS. And then only 1 episode left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I do not know what I will do with myself once the show ends. But I will be happy to have my life back. I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Keeping off the internet the day after the last ep airs in the states until I get to watch it on netflix is gonna be torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

krudler wrote: »
    Keeping off the internet the day after the last ep airs in the states until I get to watch it on netflix is gonna be torture.

I wont get to see it until Wednesday evening due to work so pity me and all my internet-avoiding ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What time does it usually go on netflix? if it's early enough I'll see if i can just start work later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

9am Monday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Mousewar wrote: »
    You mean 'trapping' him out in the desert where Hank had no back up and no one in the DEA even knew about so he wound up dead. Yeah genius move. If Hank really thought Walt was so damn evil why did he leave himself so exposed?

Yes I thought this at the time as well. Jesse knew Walter was planning to have him killed as he had already tried to lure him out using Brock and his mother. He was taking a massive risk meeting him alone in the desert (as was Hank).
    He should have known that all Walt had to do was make a call on his mobile to his hitman and say "I got him. He's at .." (which is what happened).
    I know Hank couldn't tell anyone else at the DEA about Walter 'cause he knew he was gonna get fired that very second.
    Hence why he had no backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

The big question for me has always been Walt, themes of family, legacy, empire and hubris. The whole Hank thing comes closer to being 'filler' for me.

I dunno would I agree that Hank is "filler"; he's been Walter's nemesis for almost the entire series.
    Third most important character after Walter and Jesse I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Mousewar wrote: »

I'm assuming he wanted everything tied up in a bow before he presented it officially to the DEA in that Heisenberg all along was his brother in law so he wanted to say look it was my brother in law all along but have the whole thing sorted and in the bag. Also officially with his connection to Walt he wouldn't be allowed to carry out the case if he went earlier and someone else would take credit for taking down Heisinberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

begod wrote: »
    I'm assuming he wanted everything tied up in a bow before he presented it officially to the DEA in that Heisenberg all along was his brother in law so he wanted to say look it was my brother in law all along but have the whole thing sorted and in the bag. Also officially with his connection to Walt he wouldn't be allowed to carry out the case if he went earlier and someone else would take credit for taking down Heisinberg.

Hank at least had a hint that going after Walt would not be smooth sailing after Walt's 'tread lightly' line and knew that his life would possibly be at risk if he went after Walt, either directly from Walt or parties associated with him. He wasn't so dumb or foolhardy that he didn't know the danger of going after Walt with no backup. He knew the danger and simply assessed that the glory of finally getting Heisenberg and repairing his wounded ego would be worth it if successful and was willing to risk his own life in pursuit of this. A selfish move, really. Was leaving behind two widows, a dead partner and little chance of your body ever being found an acceptable risk?

He probably should have taken Walter's threat on board, but that would have meant breaking the habit of a lifetime in taking Walt seriously as an equal for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesse has shown himself to be very intelligent over the last few seasons. Easy to manipulate, but still fairly intelligent. The Magnets idea was his, he helped set up the Vamanos Pest lab (coming up with ideas to get it in and out in the music cases), he helped Mike out for a while (first one was set up by Mike and Gus, but after that he showed himself to be a useful asset) he figured out that Walt had poisoned Brock until Walt convinced him otherwise (in season 4, not this season), he helped plan the train heist and more importantly, he's a meth chef almost as good as Walt himself. Todd cooked with Walt for a few months and can't cook it right. Jesse could walk in to a lab in Mexico and with all the ingredients ready, could cook 96% pure meth.

Jesse's problem has always been that he's too emotional and lets it cloud his judgement. He was never cut out for the level of violence and betrayal Walt dragged him in to. Jesse was always small time.

But, he knows Walt. He might not be able to outsmart him one on one, but he has still shown himself to be resourceful and intelligent. He has "applied himself".

Right now, Walt is the least of Jesse's problems. Todd has beaten the cr@p out of him and chanied him to the cooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

lukin wrote: »
    I dunno would I agree that Hank is "filler"; he's been Walter's nemesis for almost the entire series.
    Third most important character after Walter and Jesse I would say.

I've don't see him that way at all tbh. He's not as volatile as Tuco or as coldly calculating as Gus. He's more a victim of Walt's crimes than anything. I don't think they would have set the scene of Hank's death in the latest ep any other way if that wasn't the case. What Hank represents more than anything at this point is Walt's downfall, or his peripeteia if you want to get all pretentious and Shakespearean about it.

The previous 5 episodes or so were all about setting up that. Which is why it's not coming down to Hank v Walt for the finale. It was never going to come down to that. It's always been about Walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

It's always been about Walt.

Correction: It's always been about Walt and Jesse. (After Season 1 became a hit.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Going to wait until tomorrow night myself until i get a few cans in.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

The whole grey matter/gretchen arc seemed to fizzle out despite seeming really important in season 1. With Hank dead and Jessie seemingly f*cked I wonder any chance it could be revisited.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    The whole grey matter/gretchen arc seemed to fizzle out despite seeming really important in season 1. With Hank dead and Jessie seemingly f*cked I wonder any chance it could be revisited.

Earlier (before the final 8 episodes starting airing) I would have put money on Madrigal and Grey Matter being connected somehow; I actually thought that the ricin was going to Chez Schwarz in one of those packets of noodles Elliott and Walt "lived on" while writing their theses. Seems a bit late to be messing about with them now, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We'll be seeing a fair bit of New Hampshire anyway I'd presume.

Advertisement