Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Probably too early to tell about Richardson, but had a look at the game from last night on condensed view, and my opinion was he didn't do anything that wasn't given to him.

Had one 15-yard run in the 3rd quarter, but the o-line opened a huge gap for him. The 5-yard run he had in the 4th quarter looked more like a missed tackle to me. Apart from that, he looked like a liability, never gaining any yards he wasn't given (other 16 carries = 36 yards).

Finished the game with 56 yards on 18 carries (3.1 ypc). Donald Brown, the second-string RB, had 37 yards on 6 carries (6.2 ypc), including a goal-line carry for a TD.

Haven't followed Richardson's career so don't have a strong position on the debate, but they were my impressions watching that particular game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

10 carries for 40 yards in loss
    1 catch for 13 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

It's hard to understand.

He was playing better with cracked ribs.

How long would it take for a RB to be up to date with a playbook?
    I would have thought that would be the most "feel" position on offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

It's hard to understand.

He was playing better with cracked ribs.

How long would it take for a RB to be up to date with a playbook?
    I would have thought that would be the most "feel" position on offence.

Biggest problem with the Colts and Gruden mentioned it last night is that they are like the Pats and Broncos right now with Luck. Luck like Manning and Brady has the ability to use audibles efficiently and effectively often. Not only does Richardson have to learn the playbook which is probably a few hundred pages long he has to learn new terminology and on top of that know what every single audible is. Gruden and more than a few other ex coaches and pundits reckon it will be next season before he in anyway effective as a Colts player. The Colts offense is a lot more complex than people think it is and a lot more complex than he was used to at the Browns.

Right now he looks lost and of course people will point out his flaws now and continue to make the case he is not worth what the Colts paid for him because it is easy for the naysayers to pick on him when he isnt doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I have been one of Richardson's biggest fans since he came out but I am getting slightly worried about the lack of production.

The low number of carries isnt too much of a worry but his ypc is still quite low. He also doesnt appear to be running at the sub 4.5 speed we know he possesses.

That being said his 13yd reception last night was top class stuff

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Biggest problem with the Colts and Gruden mentioned it last night is that they are like the Pats and Broncos right now with Luck. Luck like Manning and Brady has the ability to use audibles efficiently and effectively often. Not only does Richardson have to learn the playbook which is probably a few hundred pages long he has to learn new terminology and on top of that know what every single audible is. Gruden and more than a few other ex coaches and pundits reckon it will be next season before he in anyway effective as a Colts player. The Colts offense is a lot more complex than people think it is and a lot more complex than he was used to at the Browns.

Right now he looks lost and of course people will point out his flaws now and continue to make the case he is not worth what the Colts paid for him because it is easy for the naysayers to pick on him when he isnt doing anything.

Stat trends have dropped off somewhat, but - rushing wise at least - it's not a dramatic disimprovement:

Browns: 17 Games; 298 Carries; 1055 Yards; 3.5 YPC; 11 TD
    Colts: 4 Games; 61 Carries; 191 Yards; 3.1 YPC; 2 TD

Browns: 17 Games; 81 Targets; 58 Receptions; 418 Yards; 7.2 YPR; 1 TD
    Colts: 4 Games; 7 Targets; 2 Receptions; 19 Yards; 9.5 YPR; 0 TD

Thing is, not only does he need to get back to Browns level production - he has to way exceed that again to end up where he's expected to be.

Only a quarter of a season under his belt with the Colts though yet. Plenty of time to turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And the run of wins for both teams since the trade ended this week. Weird how they are both 3-1 and both lost the same week since it happened.

14 carries for 37 yards in emotional victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just wondering what was the difference between Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacey from a draft prospective? Richardson was a bit quicker but what set them apart for one to be considered a top 5 pick compared to a second round pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Just wondering what was the difference between Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacey from a draft prospective? Richardson was a bit quicker but what set them apart for one to be considered a top 5 pick compared to a second round pick?

I don't watch too much college football, and it's only after the superbowl that I start researching players and watching some tape but I remember looking at Richardson and thinking he was the second-coming of beast-mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Man I took T-rich in my fantasy 1st round! He's killing me.

Anyway, he apparently has a 4.45 40 time, I can't see it at all, he looks slow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Richardson was seen as a top franchise RB, the best prospect since AP.

Lacy on the other hand was seen as a starter back, but nothing extraordinary.

Also, the knee surgery TR had before the draft was only minor, whereas Lacy toe was a bit more serious, and he has a fairly big injury history including his knees and hands.

To Colts fans, how many more games of dreadful production like this would it take before you become concerned?

http://deadspin.com/trent-richardson-just-plain-sucks-1449011871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To Colts fans, how many more games of dreadful production like this would it take before you become concerned?

http://deadspin.com/trent-richardson-just-plain-sucks-1449011871

I'll worry more when he's had more than a handful of games. It's definitely frustrating, but I'm not panicking. He'll have even more pressure on him with Wayne out, so if he comes back after the bye, and still underperforms I'll worry a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Browns fans getting creative.
    Might have to do it with mine :(

BYJsDVWCIAEpmPQ.jpg:large

8 carries for 20 yards in win off bye week
    2 catches for 33 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I was in the "give him time" camp initially but it has to be said now he appears limited as an NFL player. Looking at Morris, Martin, Lacy it's clear that a rookie running back can make an immediate impact in the NFL - he's had plenty of opportunities at this stage to show his true worth.

Even looking at this sesason't breakthroughs Stacy or Ellington he appears pedestrian and one-paced.

He is underperforming, and its worrying. Not disagreeing. But he's behind what is maybe the worst Oline in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

davyjose wrote: »
    He is underperforming, and its worrying. Not disagreeing. But he's behind what is maybe the worst Oline in the league.

No way is the colts O line the worse in the league! Ravens and dolphins are both worse I think, Seahawks is worse at this moment in time too

• Advertisement

No way is the colts O line the worse in the league! Ravens and dolphins are both worse I think, Seahawks is worse at this moment in time too

Seahwaks Oline is far better at run blocking IMO.

It's prpbably not the worst in the league overall, but it is horrendous nonetheless. Some lines are piss poor at protection some suck at run blocking. The Colts' line is horrendous at both.

Our starting Center is worse than our Right Guard... at playing Center! And our right guard was regarded as our worst lineman last season. Thing's are that ridiculous on our Oline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm starting to lose a bit of faith in T-Rich. Hoping that the off-season will see an improvement. Would the Colts be better giving Donald Brown a few more touches (blasphemy I know)

Donald Brown has 39 carries for 244 yards and a TD this season, 6.3 ypc and no fumbles
    Trent Richardson has 83 carries for 248 yards and two TDs, 3.0 ypc and 1 fumble

Why is Brown running the rock well behind that line but Richardson isn't? Is Brown in the game for every obvious passing situation? I would have thought that strange given his blocking abilities. Is Trich being sabatoged by play calling?

Seems fairly clear that Brown should get more touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

That's what everybody said about the Browns line. Both cant be the worst.....

Also isn't it the same OLine that Brown is running behind and hes averaging over 5.5 YPC.

Excuses excuses.

Just to add Richardsons pass protection is beyond woeful and you cant blame that on anybody but him. There is enough body of work at this point in time to say hes a limited NFL RB and not worthy of being a starter. Browns got a steal in the trade with Indy.

D3PO wrote: »
    That's what everybody said about the Browns line. Both cant be the worst.....

Also isn't it the same OLine that Brown is running behind and hes averaging over 5.5 YPC.

Excuses excuses.

Just to add Richardsons pass protection is beyond woeful and you cant blame that on anybody but him. There is enough body of work at this point in time to say hes a limited NFL RB and not worthy of being a starter. Browns got a steal in the trade with Indy.

Its not really an excuse. I admitted I was disappointed with his performances, and the Colts line is sh! Tty. Thats a statement of fact.
    The big difference between him and an elite runner is he doesn't have any massive gains. He's still regularly making 3rd and short converaions.

Its not really an excuse. I admitted I was disappointed with his performances, and the Colts line is sh! Tty. Thats a statement of fact.
    The big difference between him and an elite runner is he doesn't have any massive gains. He's still regularly making 3rd and short converaions.

Richardson has 15 First Downs from 83 Rushing attempts
    Brown has 9 First Downs from 39 Rushing attempts

Richardson has 15 First Downs from 83 Rushing attempts
    Brown has 9 First Downs from 39 Rushing attempts

My point was moreso that while he's not getting the big gains, he's still performing ok. For instance Adrian Petersons first touch of the season he scored a 78 yard TD. But his average for the rest of the game was less than 1 yard per carry. Richardson's lack of big gains are skewing his stats downwards. Of course I'm unhappy he's not doing better, but the bread and butter stuff he's doing just fine.

AD is making 19% first downs. Richardson is at 18%. So you're example is misleading.

That's comparing him to the best RB of the last 15 years.

As for Donald Brown, he's definitely benefitting from not having a heavy workload. He's not an every down back, and if he was put in as an every down back his YPC would plummet.

My point was moreso that while he's not getting the big gains, he's still performing ok. For instance Adrian Petersons first touch of the season he scored a 78 yard TD. But his average for the rest of the game was less than 1 yard per carry. Richardson's lack of big gains are skewing his stats downwards. Of course I'm unhappy he's not doing better, but the bread and butter stuff he's doing just fine.

AD is making 19% first downs. Richardson is at 18%. So you're example is misleading.

That's comparing him to the best RB of the last 15 years.

As for Donald Brown, he's definitely benefitting from not having a heavy workload. He's not an every down back, and if he was put in as an every down back his YPC would plummet.

On Sunday night one of TRich's carries was for 7 yards. That means the other 7 carries garnered 13 yards, less than two yards per carry.

You make an interesting point about ADP versus Detroit, but it's all about the overall trend always with these things. Trent Richardson has now played 23 times in the NFL, in which he's carried the rock 381 times. From that sample:

- 3 games with more than 100 yards rushing
    - 12 games with less than 50 yards rushing
    - 5 games with ypc of 4.0+
    - longest runs of 32, 26 and 19 yards

He may be converting short yardage situations and that's cool, but he ain't worth a first round pick (and contract of a high first round pick) if that's all he's doing successfully.

The thing is, he won't be the first high draft pick with a stellar college career to bust out at the next level. Sometimes the players that fail are unsurprising (Russell, Tebow) and sometimes they are surprising (Jason Smith, Gholston).

Richardson is the next high profile bust imo. Add him to the pile.

This is of course correct by the way, fully agree. However, it's worth pointing to his ypc on low volume at the moment because it indicates that it is possible to run the ball behind this line to some extent. The difference may be playcalling or situational context, but some of it has to be down to a commentary on Richardson's play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing is, he won't be the first high draft pick with a stellar college career to bust out at the next level. Sometimes the players that fail are unsurprising (Russell, Tebow) and sometimes they are surprising (Jason Smith, Gholston).

Richardson is the next high profile bust imo. Add him to the pile.
    Lol, here you go again. Lets see how it goes. He has spent most of his career with a horrible team who had no QB who could do anything so all they had to do was watch out for Richardson!

He didn't have a preseason with his current team. Wait and see how he does next year, your prediction is just a guess, its not based on any information worth a ****.

Advertisement