Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

good man, this deserves its own thread.

mind-blowing. all the jokes about the browns, but this is just shocking.

they're trading an unreal RB and their star player for what could be the 15th+ pick!

i'm very happy i have him in my fantasy though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Browns couldn't get any production out of him without a decent QB and WR threat. Defenses just stack the box on T. Rich.

Richardson spent most of his carries running east and west instead of north and south for lack of holes in the O-line.

He should be a serious running threat in Indy. If they try to stack the box on him there, Luck with just cut the top off the secondary.

I like the move from the Browns. They need to get serious if they want to build a winning team. The AFC North is aging and ripe for the taking. This was a serious move.

Don't forget, Richardson was Heckert's draftee. This is a whole new front office here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

can't believe people are ridiculing the Browns over this one: they've given up a fair-to-middling RB for a first round pick. They're being realistic about being a rebuilding team. I think they deserve credit or this. They have a lot of room to manoeuvre in next years draft, and in all likelihood will trade that 1st round pick for a QB or a tackle.

Now look at the Colts. They've sold the farm to be a what... a 9-7, 10-6 team this season and then what? They have 4 RB's on the roster (the 3 B's and richardson) but have no pass-rush, no O-line, a below average D-line, and an Average MLB core. This was as plain as day to any Colts fan -- we NEED to build an O-line to protect Luck. The Colts recently are a perfect lesson in why you NEED a good O-line. Now we have an extra running back and no O-line. We fcuking needed that pick badly.

Meanwhile the Browns are in a position to truly grow. And yeah, they've sacrificed this season for it. A season in which they had no chance of success anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

davyjose wrote: »
    can't believe people are ridiculing the Browns over this one: they've given up a fair-to-middling RB for a first round pick. They're being realistic about being a rebuilding team. I think they deserve credit or this. They have a lot of room to manoeuvre in next years draft, and in all likelihood will trade that 1st round pick for a QB or a tackle.

Now look at the Colts. They've sold the farm to be a what... a 9-7, 10-6 team this season and then what? They have 4 RB's on the roster (the 3 B's and richardson) but have no pass-rush, no O-line, a below average D-line, and an Average MLB core. This was as plain as day to any Colts fan -- we NEED to build an O-line to protect Luck. The Colts recently are a perfect lesson in why you NEED a good O-line. Now we have an extra running back and no O-line. We fcuking needed that pick badly.

Meanwhile the Browns are in a position to truly grow. And yeah, they've sacrificed this season for it. A season in which they had no chance of success anyway.

Sorry , but people are right to ridicule the Browns , they are giving up this season already (AFTER JUST 2 GAMES ) , WTF (the mind boggles )
    great Aq from the Colts point of view

the browns won't grow , they have been in a similar position for years , and have gone nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Giving up the season? People make it sound as if their 3.5 yards per carry running back was going to carry them to the play-offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Poor trade by the Browns. A joke of a team at present it has to be said. Rebuilding for 2014? It wasn't as if they were going to have a winning season anyway. A RB who could run, block, and catch. He's only 23 as well so plenty of miles left in the tank. They could've at least got a better deal for him. For the Colts he's a big upgrade from their existing rbs. If you're a browns fan and you think this is a good deal, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Giving up a middle to later round first pick isn't selling the farm.

Looking at a different way - you now have a QB & RB for the next 5-8 years to build an Oline and defense around.

You don't necessarily need first round picks to do that.

I'm sure they let Bradshaw hit free agency in the offseason and hope Ballard can be the no.2 back.

Late first round picks are often overvalued. It's a great value trade imho (for the colts obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I agree with Davyjose. This is a good move by the Browns and although it may turn out to be a good move also by the Colts in time. RB wasn't their most pressing need if they were going to trade away a first round pick.

Makes it difficult to add the pieces they need next season outside of free agency. To get a top quality O Lineman at the back end of the second round or later doesn't happen often. After which they will still need to look at their LB core and D Line aswell.

Short term it doesn't give them a monster boost, although for one first round pick its not a bad deal. The browns really should have pushed for at least a first in 2014 and a second in 2015 and I think they could have got it if they played hard ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

D3PO wrote: »
    The browns really should have pushed for at least a first in 2014 and a second in 2015 and I think they could have got it if they played hard ball.

I think this is the biggest issue with the trade for me. Whatever way you cut it they are trading a number 3 selection for what will most probably be a pick in the teens somewhere.

Had they been able to secure a few extra picks then maybe I could understand it but without that it just feels stupid. There was no great need on there behalf to trade Richardson. They held all the cards in the negotiations & failed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Bridgewater may not come out and Mariota certainly wont.
    This could turn out awful. Lombardi drafted Jamarcus Russell Ffs

Hard as a Browns fan to put a good perspective on it. Despite what the media say. We've been "rebuilding" for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lombardi drafted Jamarcus Russell Ffs

He was at the Raiders at the time but he had no say in that draft. It was already decided that he was leaving so he was shut out for the draft and for the months before the draft.

Gardening leave

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was at the Raiders at the time but he had no say in that draft. It was already decided that he was leaving so he was shut out for the draft and for the months before the draft.

Gardening leave

Thanks.

What legacy did he leave at the Raiders? (in terms of who he drafted)

baddebt wrote: »
    Sorry , but people are right to ridicule the Browns , they are giving up this season already (AFTER JUST 2 GAMES ) , WTF (the mind boggles )
    great Aq from the Colts point of view

the browns won't grow , they have been in a similar position for years , and have gone nowhere
    Theyve a new GM and a new HC and are looking at a top 5 draft pick next year.
    Those guys don't feel Weeden and Richardson are the guys to take them forward.
    Whatever about Weeden (he's rubbish IMO) but they clearly feel a firat round pick in the high teens/low twenties is more valuable.
    I agree.

Its a win now league and they're being destryed in the media right now, but I think they're doing what most basement teams should -- looking to the future.

Thanks.

What legacy did he leave at the Raiders? (in terms of who he drafted)

Hard to know what legacy he left. The players drafted while he was here weren't great but it's difficult to know how much say he had.

Bridgewater may not come out and Mariota certainly wont.
    This could turn out awful. Lombardi drafted Jamarcus Russell Ffs

I'm thinking they might use the Colts pick for a QB trade. Kirk Cousins anyone?

As for JMR, that was 1000% Al Davis' pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Theyve a new GM and a new HC and are looking at a top 5 draft pick next year.
    Those guys don't feel Weeden and Richardson are the guys to take them forward.
    Whatever about Weeden (he's rubbish IMO) but they clearly feel a firat round pick in the high teens/low twenties is more valuable.
    I agree.

Its a win now league and they're being destryed in the media right now, but I think they're doing what most basement teams should -- looking to the future.
    Like what we did?? Suck for Luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The big thing about the Browns trading Richardson for me isn't that they've realised that they have lots of work to do to rebuild...its realising that they made the wrong pick at number 3 last year. That's whats shocking about this trade, they have written off a top pick in last years draft after a year for a mid round pick next year. I know there's a new front office in charge but they are going to trade away Richardson and presumably Weeden after the season

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Spot on Davy, I can't see what all the drama is about. It was a damn fine piece of business by the Browns. Especially for a player who's not worth a first round pick. They have more pressing concerns to cover in next years draft and this move sets them up to address them.

frostie500 wrote: »
    The big thing about the Browns trading Richardson for me isn't that they've realised that they have lots of work to do to rebuild...its realising that they made the wrong pick at number 3 last year. That's whats shocking about this trade, they have written off a top pick in last years draft after a year for a mid round pick next year. I know there's a new front office in charge but they are going to trade away Richardson and presumably Weeden after the season

As you said, it's a new front office. Hardly that surprising that someone thinks someone else made a poor draft choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hard to know what legacy he left. The players drafted while he was here weren't great but it's difficult to know how much say he had.

The only legacy left from the Raiders front office was Al Davis so a lot of good people surely had their names tarnished by some of Als later decisions but in relation to JaMarcus the league knew his potential for problems but he was always going to go early in the draft "You can't look past his size and arm" was in a lot of news reports and other sites and those kinds of comments are fed by front offices around the league. I wouldn't hang JaMarcus on anyone at the Raiders, just like I wouldnt hang Ryan Leaf on the Chargers or numerous other busts. Sometimes guys just cant deal with getting huge cash even though they did enough in college to show their talent onthe field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Norv the modern day RB killer strikes again.......

Browns need a new OC and new QB and they'll be grand. RBs should not be drafted as highly as he was period. They are a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

I like what the Colts are building and yes its an exspensive pickup but I think Richardson will sign will Luck. Teams will have to account for the passing attack of the Colts and wont be able to stack the box.

In the long run it was probably a good move for the browns but when you think of what they gave up last year to move up and get Richardson (1st, 4th, 6th and 7th?) you would have thought they might have looked to recoup some of those picks. I think its a possibility that the Browns look to get some work done before the draft next year and bring in either Mallet or Cousins with the Colts pick and then maybe go for an elite WR with their own pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This trade is being made out to be a lot bigger than it is. Colts now have two talented but injury prone RBs in Bradshaw and Richardson. Browns have an extra first round pick for next year.

I can see why the Colts wanted a starting RB and I can see why the Browns were willing to give him up for a first round pick. I think the Colts may have overpaid in this one but its not a bad move for them either. If they can keep both Richardson and Bradshaw fit then they have a really good chance to win their division.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

eagle eye wrote: »
    . If they can keep both Richardson and Bradshaw fit then they have a really good chance to win their division.

I cant see it. Houston still have better RB's in Foster & Tate and a far superior O Line and Defense than the Colts.

They will be a wildcard team again this season and will have to be very clever about what moves they make next offseason and draft to tip the balance of that division back in their favour.

Lot of talk about the Browns taking Cousins perhaps. To me no way. They need to go with Bridgewater or Boyd depending on where they are in the draft.

They can then use the other first rounder to hopefully pickup a quality lineman to go oppose Joe Thomas. The way drafts are going not many RB's are going in the first round anymore so they could pick up a top 4 starting RB at the top of the second who would you would guess be as productive as Richardson if not more productive. 3.5 yard per carry is not a good return for a #3 overall pick.

And it doesn't matter that the Browns suck. Jamal Charles still shone on a crappy Chiefs team, if your good enough you will find a way to look better than average. (That said Richardson should increase his production with Luck being his QB)

That could leave the Browns in a solid position offensively and with multiple picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds they could then look at hoping to unearth something on defense.

A potential browns offense of Bridgewater/Boyd at QB perhaps drafting somebody like Zack Martin late in the first so as to have Martin and Thomas as your two tackles.

Drafting perhaps D'Anthony Thomas or Kadeem Carey at the top of the second as your RB

Added to Jordan Cameron who is a top end TE and serviceable WR's in Gordon and the guy they got this summer off Miami whos name escapes me right now would give them a pretty good base to work off.

They wont be worldbeaters anytime soon but one or two big pickups in FA or with those 4 picks in round 3-4 could make them very competitive in their division.

D3PO wrote: »

Added to Jordan Cameron who is a top end TE and serviceable WR's in Gordon and the guy they got this summer off Miami whos name escapes me right now would give them a pretty good base to work off.

Davone Bess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I like the Trade for both teams. Browns get to move and build how they see their future team and the Colts although missing a few pieces get a good quality running back. Granted he has injury issues but he has got ability. I actually do see him fitting into the Colts Offense better than he does with the Browns anyways.

Now to trade Brandon Weeden and that first round pick for a QB....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Weeden was a ridiculous pick, why pick a guy in the draft who could possibly retire two years later

Hazys wrote: »
    Weeden was a ridiculous pick, why pick a guy in the draft who could possibly retire two years later

in the first round no less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Joke move by the Browns. Watch them load up for a QB and him turn out to be a bust.

Indy got an absolute steal. Top five talent and a very young player for what'll amount to a sub-20 first rounder.

Irsay for all his bloviating has allowed the Colts to run a very tight ship for years now. A Jerry Jones that actually wins games.

Advertisement