Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabe Newell - PC/Linux gaming and Steambox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I would like to know the prototype specs now thank you please!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

thats one steam box for every title the OS can run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So we knew there IS a steam box in development and now Valve just said that - YES, there is steam box. Its like expecting an announcment from apple at this stage... We all know what it will be...

So as I had speculated before: there will be just a bunch of prebuilt machines with a Steam sticker glued on it and with a tag "low" "med" "high" from main Prebuilt system manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Want to know the specs and the price range, even more I want to be part of the beta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Anyone hoping to get their hands on a prototype? ;)

Yep, just have to go home and play a game in Big Picture now. Over 6000 signed up in the few minutes since it's been announced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So we knew there IS a steam box in development and now Valve just said that - YES, there is steam box. Its like expecting an announcment from apple at this stage... We all know what it will be...

So as I had speculated before: there will be just a bunch of prebuilt machines with a Steam sticker glued on it and with a tag "low" "med" "high" from main Prebuilt system manufacturers.

There will eba gamer version too, with lots of control over hardware.

Looks like the third announcement could be a steambox controller, as they mentioned that there is more to come relating to that. I was hoping, still am, to see something about the new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Okay so first we got an OS, now we get a piece of hardware to run the OS.

Whats next? Maybe a certain game to use them both with.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

02-07-2013, 11:49

I agree with this idea. The launch of HL3 will coincide with something new in the industry. I thought it would be the announcement of the new consoles and it might still happen with GamesCom. However, I am thinking it could be announced alongside the SteamBox. No better way to drive sales of a new piece of hardware than to make it exclusive to that hardware.

So, announcement at GamesCom, announcement with the Rift, or announcement with the SteamBox; my three predictions. Oh, and something for the 10 year anniversary of HL2 in 2014.

Called it! :P Half-life 3 coming exclusive to SteamOS and a free copy with every Steam box sold...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

VinLieger wrote: »
    Okay so first we got an OS, now we get a piece of hardware to run the OS.

Whats next? Maybe a certain game to use them both with.........

"Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
    If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input."

The very soon says to me the third announcement will be some kind of controller or something like that.

There will eba gamer version too, with lots of control over hardware.

Looks like the third announcement could be a steambox controller, as they mentioned that there is more to come relating to that. I was hoping, still am, to see something about the new engine.

First one was a circle and that represented software so my money is on the pair of circles representing the OS plus another piece of software. I'm thinking it'll be a Source 2 announcement.

• Advertisement

If steamos is free to install then i dont see how they could use HL3 to drive hardware sales.
    whole things a bit of a non announcement so far to be honest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Expecting meh controller or something like that, hoping for source 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looks likely the final announcement will be on input devices, probably the controller itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Next announcement probably about connectivity, the USB things they'll be using and probably a controller.

Bambi wrote: »
    If steamos is free to install then i dont see how they could use HL3 to drive hardware sales.
    whole things a bit of a non announcement so far to be honest

No, but it would drive a SteamOS install base which would help start a cycle that would involve selling hardware.

More SteamOS users -> devs make more games for Steam OS -> more people buy the Steam Box hardware -> repeat

If Valve did decide to make HL3 exclusive or whatever to Steam OS, it would make a lot of people install it, just like how HL2 made lots of people install Steam. Even if, as was pointed out, you don't plan to use the OS for anything else, it's still there now and ready to be used any time (I'm sure when people were forced to use Steam in 2004 they said they would never use it for anything else either).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say there are people who aren't really interested in the beta but just want the eligibility badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd say there are people who aren't really interested in the beta but just want the eligibility badge.

Hard for me to believe anyone would be only in it for the badge, and uninterested in free pre-release hardware.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

C14N wrote: »
    No, but it would drive a SteamOS install base which would help start a cycle that would involve selling hardware.

More SteamOS users -> devs make more games for Steam OS -> more people buy the Steam Box hardware -> repeat

If Valve did decide to make HL3 exclusive or whatever to Steam OS, it would make a lot of people install it, just like how HL2 made lots of people install Steam. Even if, as was pointed out, you don't plan to use the OS for anything else, it's still there now and ready to be used any time (I'm sure when people were forced to use Steam in 2004 they said they would never use it for anything else either).

There is no way Valve would use a hugely anticipated game to ship a few extra units of low margin hardware, especially in a world where GTA V made $800m on launch day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it just me or does it sound like Steam Machine is really just a certification process? The way I read it, Valve won't actually be producing any hardware, other than the prototypes, it's really a program for OEMs and device manufacturers to get their products certified as 'compatible'.

I may be reading it wrong, because I don't really see that as being a big deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

stevenmu wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it sound like Steam Machine is really just a certification process? The way I read it, Valve won't actually be producing any hardware, other than the prototypes, it's really a program for OEMs and device manufacturers to get their products certified as 'compatible'.

I may be reading it wrong, because I don't really see that as being a big deal at all.

For techies this kind of certification process is a waste of money, we can figure out what hardware configuration will work well. For regular consumers or people coming from console land where hardware configuration is something you never have to worry about, it makes a whole lot of sense.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    There is no way Valve would use a hugely anticipated game to ship a few extra units of low margin hardware, especially in a world where GTA V made $800m on launch day.

Given Valve doesn't seem to view computer games of their own as a major revenue stream for them I think they'd be well capable of it, though personally I agree with you.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it sound like Steam Machine is really just a certification process?

For third parties it is, they had already stated that. Both of the announcements are mostly just confirming things that were already known. Whole lotta sizzle and not much steak thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Bambi wrote: »
    Both of the announcements are mostly just confirming things that were already known. Whole lotta sizzle and not much steak thus far

Yeah to be honest it's a let down I was at least expecting a perpetual motion machine and prototype warp drive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nesf wrote: »
    For techies this kind of certification process is a waste of money,

For making a new OS, a certification process makes loads of sense. They can lock down the hardware to a very specific level, allowing better driver/update support.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest it's a let down I was at least expecting a perpetual motion machine and prototype warp drive

I was expecting a something. We've got nothing. Unless a sales pitch counts.

I would have been happy with stuff like an actual model and specifications, preview of the OS/unit, footage etc. I'm very hard to please like that. :p

If you've been following the story over the last year most of details in the announcements are old hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hard for me to believe anyone would be only in it for the badge, and uninterested in free pre-release hardware.

To be honest, I wouldn't apply for the hardware. Not because I don't want it but simply because I know I wouldn't be able to dedicate the time needed to test it properly.
    But if I thought I would get a final model when they're released then I might go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

For making a new OS, a certification process makes loads of sense. They can lock down the hardware to a very specific level, allowing better driver/update support.

That defeats the stated purpose though, allowing users to freely and openly change parts as they feel the need.
    The mission statement is to make an open environment for the PC in the TV room.

They're selling it more as: "This is a list of parts we know work perfectly, use others at your own risk."

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That defeats the stated purpose though, allowing users to freely and openly change parts as they feel the need.
    The mission statement is to make an open environment for the PC in the TV room.

It sound more like a minimum quality requirement for manufacturers to ship a steamos unit, I don't think that nescessarily follows the end user would be prevented from altering it subsequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

So unless I'm mistaken, this could be pretty huge.

SteamOS isn't really much of anything new – it is essentially the Steam app we have on our machines now with some new features (streaming etc.). It's a Linux distro with that app set to auto launch in Big Picture mode, and stay launched.

The OS will start appearing pre-installed on licensed retail "Steam Machines" from 3rd parties, and hackers and enthusiasts will be free to build their own and download the OS to run on them.

Already have a rocking PC and just want to stream it downstairs? No problem, get a cheap streaming dongle and away you go. Doubt you'd pay more than the cost of a controller.

If you don't have a (good enough) PC, it's a sliding scale from a cheap stand alone Steam Machine that handles the classics and the low-fi stuff, all the way up to a PS4 / XBone competing dedicated gaming power house.

Feel like upgrading at any time and backward compatibility isn't an issue. Or sync and use multiple devices like handhelds, TV boxes and just the app running on your PC (or tablet?).

And HL3 being a "SteamOS" exclusive isn't quite right, I'd say it'll be a Steam exclusive – maybe optimised for gamepad/couch playing. So no XBox/PS4. But whether you just play that on your PC, stream it to the telly via a cheap dongle, build yourself a custom rig to rival a PS4, or pick up one of the more powerful licenced Steam Machines... Valve will just be happy you're playing it, and running Steam.

And whatever way you go, you'll have a modular PC based gaming machine. Everybody wins!

Except for Sony and Microsoft. And Nintendo.

But especially Valve. They'll win lots and lots and lots and lots.

Seriously. This could be big.

Advertisement