Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 920 unlocked €260~ delivered @ Tesco UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ablelocks wrote: »
    is it worth the upgrade - i've had the 820 for a while but at this price, the 920 unlocked is hard to resist...

The 820 and 920 are almost identical except storage, camera and screen resolution. So the 920 won't be any different to use / any faster in any way

For me the screen resolution was the big issue, from 800*480 (poor) to 1280*768 (decent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

does this phone come with the silicon sleeve like the 800 did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

fifib wrote: »
    does this phone come with the silicon sleeve like the 800 did?

No sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Is this particular one locked to tesco mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Is this particular one locked to tesco mobile?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89061044&postcount=84

• Advertisement

I bought this one and arrived today. put husbands sim into it as he has micro sim on Vodafone and works fine. hope it works for my meteor sim but dont see any reason why it shouldnt

well the phone works with my meteor sim but i think it may be faulty. the screen is flickering! anyone else noticed this? you can really notice it on the background screen when the screen is turned on. its annoying me now!! anyone know what the story is on returning faulty items to tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

try to update firmware if that wont fix then must be something wrong. Dont know how to return item to tesco but could be complicated thats why to prefer it here (have one brand new if somebody is interested cheaper). Probably you have to send it back or deliver on your own expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think Nokia themselves are usually pretty good anyway if you run into problems returning it to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ordered one of these this evening. It is listed as the 32GB model & unlocked so hoping this is the case when I get it. Used Parcel Motel when ordering however when I was first registering to Tesco Direct it would not let me enter numbers in the Name fields. To get around this I registered using my normal name but when I went to the the checkout I edited the Name and it allowed me to put in the PMID.

The only thing I am worrying about now is that on the Tesco Listing of the phone it states "This requires an adult to sign upon delivery". I'm hoping that wont trip it up and the courier is wise to Parcel Motel Deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

_Puma_ wrote: »
    The only thing I am worrying about now is that on the Tesco Listing of the phone it states "This requires an adult to sign upon delivery". I'm hoping that wont trip it up and the courier is wise to Parcel Motel Deliveries.
    They sign for it, so that will work out fine.

Phone arrived this morning in my parcel motel. Been checking it out over lunch and all is ok, unlocked 32GB etc..

Great value for money, paid €209(£169) with a free parcel motel stay as I have 2 free stays when I signed up.

Consdering the 925 lacks QI charging built in and is more expensive, the 920 is a steal at this price. Next up a QI Handsfree kit for the car and a QI plate for home!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye. Bought my second hand unlocked 920 for €150 a few weeks ago, sold my one year old locked to Meteor 820 for €110 last week, so it only cost me €40 to upgrade (to an unlocked phone)

I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Bit of advice lads, this is my first delivery using Parcel Motel. I put my PMID in alphanumerically after my name on the delivery, and tracking says its been delivered to Belfast, but Parcel Motel are saying they've no idea about it? It was dropped off at 11am on the 11th, delivered to Parcel Motel by Yodel.
    Bit concerned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

muff03 wrote: »
    Bit of advice lads, this is my first delivery using Parcel Motel. I put my PMID in alphanumerically after my name on the delivery, and tracking says its been delivered to Belfast, but Parcel Motel are saying they've no idea about it? It was dropped off at 11am on the 11th, delivered to Parcel Motel by Yodel.
    Bit concerned here.

Did you give PM the tracking number? They have an area where they put all the unidentifiable packages, they'll have a look for yours if you give them the tracking number. I had to do the same for my 920 from Tesco last week, after emailing PM with the tracking number (and I told them that the PM was alphabetic, rather than numeric) it appeared on my PM online account after 5 minutes. After getting the package, I can see that the full name and PM ID are printed on the label in a couple of places, so it's just a matter of getting them to sift through the pile they have.

Even if you have to ring them hourly, keep on top of them, after a set time with no claims on the package it'll be returned to sender and that's a whole lot of hassle to get back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Thanks for the reply, I've been on to them and they're having a look

EDIT: Parcel Motel have had the phone since Tuesday morning but Yodel, who delivered it from Tesco, put very limited information on their deliveries according to PM, so there's still no sign of my phone in the warehouse. Great craic.

just got my phone from parcel motel. was supposed to arrive Monday but my Pm id wasn't put on address so i had to chase it up with parcel motel.
    anyways it looks like the phone was used previously. the void sticker was obviously removed previously.it wasn't even stuck to the box right. charge cable isn't wrapped in plastic its just jammed in the box.and the key to open sim was left on top of phone. so very obvious this box was opened previously and possibly used.
    also when i wad opening packaging i noticed nightline had tape around the package but could not tell if the package was previously opened.

do you think i should contact Tesco about this? reason im weary is i already ordered this phone few weeks ago and there was problem with through screen so i sent it back.so just afraid now I've gotten one that was sent back previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭iognaid

Hi, Im trying to buy this phone on tescodirect, and can pick it up in Newry, but since my billing address is not in uk, it declined the order.
    How did you get aroound that?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi how did you get aroung paying with a credit card.
    Im trying to complete the purchas but it declines it.
    I think its because the billing address is different, not in N.I.
    I look froward to reply

how can I purchase this phone on Tesco direct with an Irish credit card. I can pick it up in Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I bought from Tesco direct using my Ulsterbank ROI debit card and Parcel Motel multiple times in the past - maybe their system assumes all Ulsterbank accounts are in Ulster?? !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

iognaid wrote: »
    how can I purchase this phone on Tesco direct with an Irish credit card. I can pick it up in Newry

You probably can't, though call Tesco CS & they may be able to manually override the geo-restriction.

When purchasing from Tesco direct, most folks have used Parcel Motel (based in Newtownabbey) as their delivery & billing address.

Was wondering if anyone that got this deal have received the Cyan update yet? The firmware version I have is 3051.40000.1349.0007. I am on the Vodafone network. It appears Vodafone versions of the phone have received it so far but not the other networks. How are these updates pushed for unlocked phones, should I receive it once O2/Tesco mobile push it or do I need to do it manualy since I am no longer on their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Was wondering if anyone that got this deal have received the Cyan update yet? The firmware version I have is 3051.40000.1349.0007. I am on the Vodafone network. It appears Vodafone versions of the phone have received it so far but not the other networks. How are these updates pushed for unlocked phones, should I receive it once O2/Tesco mobile push it or do I need to do it manualy since I am no longer on their network?

If you go to "settings" - "about", you will se that your phone is the "UK country variant", it's not available yet, it's "under testing". The phone will tell you when it's available or you will see from the link below.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It also depends on whether you are on the Developer Preview program, as some handsets have had issues updating from the Developer Preview Windows Phone 8.1 Update one to Cyan, so Microsoft have postponed the Cyan update for these handsets until these issues are resolved.

So the options here are

1) to wait for Microsoft to resolve the issue (something to do with BitLocker) for upgrade scenarios.

Or

2) Downgrade to Windows Phone 8.0, then upgrade to the public Windows Phone 8.1, then upgrade to Cyan then download the Developer Preview and update to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 and reset your phone to restore from a backup.
    - Notes -
    - Be sure the Cyan update is definitely available for your handset before starting this step, or else you've wasted a lot of effort for no reason.
    - Also, ensure that you have made a full backup of your phone before starting this process. (It will backup app layout, text messages, etc.)

For me, I'm waiting for Microsoft to resolve the upgrade issues rather than downgrade / upgrade to Cyan. Too much hassle for me.

Had been keeping an eye on the website, should have done a Ctrl+f on the page with my Firmware I guess, was looking at the Ireland section.

Hopefully it wont be too long since the 920 roll-out started on Friday.

Well the update hit this version last night for anyone else that got this offer of the phone. Took about an hour. Havant had a chance to look at it too much but all I can say is thank god for swype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Does anyone know how long the warranty is for the lumia 920. I bought mine at christmas and the screen has always flickered slightly but I just put up with it. Over the last couple of weeks though pink lines have appeared on the screen and cover the left hand side of the screen and I need to get it fixed. Will the nokia care centres in Ireland sort this out for me?

Advertisement