Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A strange thing to say, but I hope it keeps it's bleakness from season 1.
    I loved how the show was "depressing" (for want of a better word) but with purpose. One of those shows that really benefited from the slower pace.

Very much looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

The first series was just so different from anything else out there, I really hope they can keep the unique atmosphere of the first series.

Despair, shock and bleakness were never as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

beardo81 wrote: »
    The first series was just so different from anything else out there, I really hope they can keep the unique atmosphere of the first series.

The snippets we've seen from season 2 looks like they're taking a departure from season 1 but it looks like there's just as much, if not more, despair, shock and bleakness...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,673 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts back on Sky Atlantic on Monday October 5th at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

This premieres in the states tonight, Sky Atlantic tomorrow, anyone getting in early?

New opening credits are...... different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

beardo81 wrote: »

True, but for the self same reason I'm finding it hard to summon the enthusiasm to delve back in, that regard it's a show that would have worked better for me as a mini series or something, I don't know that I could buy into an ongoing series that bleak, it feels too much like an ongoing battle with depression.

Fantastic opening. The fire captain is a fantastic character and incredibly menacing!

That was fantastic, the tension building is incredible and the new characters all really good so far.

I wonder will the Guilty Remnant make an appearance, they have some stiff competition with the fire dept!

Having to wait a week between episodes is torture though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A very brave opening episode, and I think they pulled it off.

Opening 10 minutes was confusingly brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I thought I had downloaded the wrong flick. Expect Chris Ecclestone and get pregnant cave bird instead. And we have a fireman who applied for arsonist but went in the wrong door. Also not the first to do a 6 stretch for not attempting hard enough.

Between this and The Good Wife returning to form the weather has never looked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so is the ranking system for miracles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

A wonderful and fascinating opener. Love this show.

Was anyone else expecting the opening sequence to turn out that it was all in the present and the woman with the baby walked around and saw the people swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Was anyone else expecting the opening sequence to turn out that it was all in the present and the woman with the baby walked around and saw the people swimming?

I thought it was a bit of a Kubrick rip off tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Watched this last night. Been eating since last year for it. It was Amazing! And to be honest I don't care if it's the guy who did lost, at least I know what to expect, lots and lots of unanswered questions, which after last night's premier, I'm totally fine with, lived it!!!

Watched this after the FTWD finally, that was, hmm, ok I guess.

Leftovers has its hooks in me from the first cave woman. I read an article after watching it and one of the writers said, ' how do we start season two? another said 'well it will start with a "previously on Leftovers" thing, so why don't we just go way way way back in time as a "previously".'

So like an inside joke that was put together really well. Wonder if they will build on the child and the new cave woman story at the start of each episode?

Actually thinking about it now, I am wondering whether the opening sequence and everything else are in the present, with the quakes being the indicator?

Do we think that the teenage girls were kidnapped or vanished? I love that a lot of this had a real Final Destination feel to it, with regards to the impending sense of doom with the fire captain, after being told something bad was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I reckon the opening sequence was in the distant past. The girls were probably swimming and went down the sinkhole with the water.

I don't really know what to make of this show to be honest, A lot more new questions now without any old answers. I'm happy to go along with it tho and not really think about it too much, just enjoy it for what it is. It is a very easy watch as its production values are so high and it does move along at a steady pace.

Hope that smoking cult don't reappear was well sick of them by the end of season one.

I thought they were incredible.

The scene with one of their members being stoned to death is up there with some of the most brutal TV out there.

• Advertisement

Point was if weird things were happening every 50,000 years with earthquakes and people disappearing. Back in the day , you picked up and trotted on. Bit like snakebites, **** happens.
    Now, well someone should make a TV show about it. Halley's comet every 75 years, an orbit around the Sun once a year, and a percentage of the population go missing every 50 millenia. Or would the new god Science have a problem with something that doesn't exist within its frame of reference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I thought they were incredible.

The scene with one of their members being stoned to death is up there with some of the most brutal TV out there.

Any scene which depicts a stoning is going to be brutal regardless of cult membership. I probably liked that scene for the wrong reasons.

I just got bored of them very quickly, the leader was very annoying although I suppose that was the point.

The other plotlines in the show are far more interesting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What a way to kick-start the new season. Was immersed in it from the first minute to the last.

There was a prevailing sense of "what the hell?", but in a good way, surrounding the opening ten minutes (that poor cave woman). Would agree with other posters sentiments about the new characters. The fire chief in particular looks like been central to the story-line this season. Can see that Kevin has him sussed out already though.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the out-going preacher cut off Matt Jamison's story regarding his wife? Surely a town that appears to be a religious haven would be embracing it's miracles?

Oh and the new opening credits might possible the best I've ever seen. Never really liked the old one. Thought it was a bit creepy or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Great and confusing opening episode.

The shows score is the best I think I've ever heard for a tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Lindelof has said that the opening sequence was inspired by deciding to do a 'previously on The Leftovers' bit, then decided to take it as previously as they could...

Great opening episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When he was cycling through the town and seeing things like the woman in the wedding dress, I was half expecting a narration to say Elvis lives on his paper route and Bigfoot eats from the trash.

(I'm sure someone will get the reference :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

The dude filling water from the river has the girls iam thinking.
    Also why was there naked people living in a cave or did I miss some thing

naughto wrote: »
    The dude filling water from the river has the girls iam thinking.
    Also why was there naked people living in a cave or did I miss some thing

Probably the first season.:)

Naked people living in caves was kind of the norm in prehistoric times.

Another great episode. For my money, Leftovers is one of the best shows on TV right now. Wonder how the hell he ended up there with the brick wrapped around his foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So just watched the "We don't really know each other" conversation

What an amazing scene!

Advertisement