Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenfield kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

moy83 wrote: »
    Is the 93k after all repayments and everything is paid ? Nothing wrong with that .
    After bank and before tax

what is the leased land charge, is it representative of the area. You also have to add in the favorable treatment that they would receive from suppliers of all goods and services just to be seen involved. anyone kind enough to refresh me - whats area farmed and numbers of cows milked
    Bob they are actually paying a little over the odds for the land in that area.
    115ha 320 cows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They must be banking on a really good spring, 100 ton of wholecrop plus 100 ton of silage wont last 250 plus cows more then 40 days so realistically they will be out of fooder the 15th of Febuary.Can see a nice bit of that 93k being spent on silage/soya hulls/beet our whatever they can get their hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jersey101 wrote: »
    I think the place will really come into its own next year, they have ample replacements now and they know the farm. Next year might see them hold onto more cows and be able to sell some heifers.
    Will they upgrade the pad next year to cubicles if they are to hold onto more cows? The IFJ says it is stocked as high as it can be now with 220 cows, they will have to do some thing if they do keep more cows on

The problem this year was they had too much cows and couldn't grow enough grass.300 cows is proably the very outside of what the farm can handle until organic matters are sorted and they can consistently grow 15 tonnes plus of grass.still 93 k cask surplus after all the droughts this year is impressive.i feel though that they were too slow at making some big decisions like when to introduce meal etc,but as long as they learn something from it .see the farm manager has said farewell too,very impressive guy but treated like a relief Milker from what I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    After bank and before tax

so 80 ish k net profit for 320 cows and 290 acres. €250 profit per cow or €285 an acre net profit. do those figures excite people?

what is the labour charged out @ €15 an hour? Consultants come free I suppose:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They must be banking on a really good spring, 100 ton of wholecrop plus 100 ton of silage wont last 250 plus cows more then 40 days so realistically they will be out of fooder the 15th of Febuary.Can see a nice bit of that 93k being spent on silage/soya hulls/beet our whatever they can get their hands on.

are you serious? they have 200t of forage for the rest of the winter for 320 cows. surly not

are you serious? they have 200t of forage for the rest of the winter for 320 cows. surly not

Sure Jackie and co think the farm is on the north island of New Zealand and that once they hit feb 1 there've all off to grass and an odd half a kg of Soya hulls will do if it gets very wet or very cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The problem this year was they had too much cows and couldn't grow enough grass.300 cows is proably the very outside of what the farm can handle

How does there 15 year business plan stack up when a revised stocking rate is calculated?

From what I remember they were planning on a figure of 350 cows so at 300 their down 50 cows which is a massive cut in production.
    Surely this puts the 15 year plan out the window and what they are relying on now is a strong milk price to keep them in business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

220 cows there now. Pit not opened yet. 200 bales of silage being used first. I would say they will be okay. As soon as the cows calve there diet won't include any of that silage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭mf240

They have added A herd of cows to their assets though.

• Advertisement

220 cows there now. Pit not opened yet. 200 bales of silage being used first. I would say they will be okay. As soon as the cows calve there diet won't include any of that silage

where are the other 100 cows gone for? B&B setup? how long can they keep eating bales before opening the pits?

where are the other 100 cows gone for? B&B setup? how long can they keep eating bales before opening the pits?

If they don't give them to them then they won't eat them. No point in spoiling them in the winter or they will expect to have enough grub in the summer aswell.

Culled/sold I think. They have 90 heifers coming back I think. Started feeding 5 Dec Getting 13 bales aday I reckon. So 21st Dec they will be gone. They say the y have 200 bales of hay too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

mf240 wrote: »
    They have added A herd of cows to their assets though.

Reflected in the debt.

Tonnes dm

Sure Jackie and co think the farm is on the north island of New Zealand and that once they hit feb 1 there've all off to grass and an odd half a kg of Soya hulls will do if it gets very wet or very cold!!

Well it's working isn't it? 93k!!!

Reflected in the debt.

Yes I mean they Will have a herd of to sell at the end, this is on top of yearly profits. I think???

They may and in all probability will have to feed some silage.theyvare just too rigid in the way they manage the cows,calve cows straight to grass which is fine,but theyvare too slow to adapt and introduce feed once needed.a cow in this country won't survive for a full year on all grass especially after calving in spring on a cold wet spring day when she's only given 2 or 3 hours grass and then left standing in a yard till next milking with no more feed.shell quickly go into a negative energy balance and loose condition and drop off in milk.feed outside of grass is seen as an absolute last resort there

do you lads up there not pay any tax. I always talk about profit after tax as that is what you actually have. Pre tax profits is a bit of a corporate showboat as there rates of effective tax can be a little bit different than that you or I's

anyway sounds to me like there is a good bit of boiling going on in this pot, have the new heifers being bought and included in figure 2013 figures, why are they culling at close on 33%? what is the rent per ac delaval?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I think the kk farm really demenstraits how hard it is to farm on a leased land basis in ireland . how many young landless farmers would be able to get the finantial backing for this type of venture.

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Yes I mean they Will have a herd of to sell at the end, this is on top of yearly profits. I think???

but what they would have to sell would be at cull value, well going by this year at 33% culling rate, the value of the herd would be half ways between cull value and milking value IYKWIM

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I think the kk farm really demenstraits how hard it is to farm on a leased land basis in ireland . how many young landless farmers would be able to get the finantial backing for this type of venture.

Absolutely correct, but if you owned the stock it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

trixi2011 wrote: »

None and rightfully so. Start small and if the farmer has the ability it will grow.

do you lads up there not pay any tax. I always talk about profit after tax as that is what you actually have. Pre tax profits is a bit of a corporate showboat as there rates of effective tax can be a little bit different than that you or I's

anyway sounds to me like there is a good bit of boiling going on in this pot, have the new heifers being bought and included in figure 2013 figures, why are they culling at close on 33%? what is the rent per ac delaval?

That includes full charge for heifers as they are contract reared at a daily rate

Absolutely correct, but if you owned the stock it could be done.

but most growing farms in Ireland own the land and not the stock, I would prefer to rent the land and own stock any day. Or one tool I know, owns neither :rolleyes:

anyway if we take the figures as 100% correct and accurate, who would consider €81k profit acceptable for the risk and reward of 320 cows and 285 acres

Imagine how good it would be if cows were fed adequately????.they introduced feed too late in November and ended up loosing out on lactose bonus for the month.

Imagine how good it would be if cows were fed adequately????.they introduced feed too late in November and ended up loosing out on lactose bonus for the month.

Your correct, they're a bit slow to act at times.

Yes but in fairness they admitted that. Of all times of the year it's in the Oct Nov that meal pays.

• Advertisement

They'll learn from it though if any thing. As long as they don't make the same mistakes again. The two lads will run good set ups when they return home I'd imagine. Thomas's home place wouldn't be to far away from me

Advertisement