Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenfield kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jersey101 wrote: »
    I thought fasinex did worms as well?

No just fluke, but all types of fluke. I was at a talk with the glanbia vet while ago, if i remember correctly he said almost zero stomach fluke this yr, and that if you have it you will know all about it (cows will be seriously back in every way), mostly liverfluke, and either go in with the endofluke and a wormer, or a fluke and worm then fluke afew weeks later to catch the immature fluke that survived the 1st dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Timmaay wrote: »
    No just fluke, but all types of fluke. I was at a talk with the glanbia vet while ago, if i remember correctly he said almost zero stomach fluke this yr, and that if you have it you will know all about it (cows will be seriously back in every way), mostly liverfluke, and either go in with the endofluke and a wormer, or a fluke and worm then fluke afew weeks later to catch the immature fluke that survived the 1st dose.

How did I miss that. No matter any way. There getting albex at calving

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Bank it.

93k would buy about 200 outdoor cubicles and if they saved half the woodchip, or about 4000euro, that would be a return of about 4.5%
    A far better return than leaving it on deposit in a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Pacoa wrote: »
    93k would buy about 200 outdoor cubicles and if they saved half the woodchip, or about 4000euro, that would be a return of about 4.5%
    A far better return than leaving it on deposit in a bank.

But they want to show it as a low cost and it being profitable. Although the 4k is a big cost it is relatively small per year. Spending. 93k would be a huge purchase. Arnt they meant to paid off all the loans on 15 yrs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Fasinex Combinex does fluke and worms. But I don't think its for milking cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

lads what is the cost of the woodchip for the pad in the accounts?

Another member was saying it was now costing a 1000 a load, thats only 4 loads to do 300 cows. Maybe im missing something but when I had pads for about 80 beef cattle I was using 2 to 3 loads a winter if I remember correctly, and the greenfield pad looks massive on the video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

lads what is the cost of the woodchip for the pad in the accounts?

Another member was saying it was now costing a 1000 a load, thats only 4 loads to do 300 cows. Maybe im missing something but when I had pads for about 80 beef cattle I was using 2 to 3 loads a winter if I remember correctly, and the greenfield pad looks massive on the video

€14,274 in 2011. Seems to be the most up to date accounts available.

€14,274 in 2011. Seems to be the most up to date accounts available.

so it could be up around 16k - 18k now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I did the maths in 07, can't remember the exact figures now, but the cost of running a pad v servicing the capital cost and running of covered cubicles scraping into a lagoon came together after c.14 years. Would be a lot less now with the increased cost of wood chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

so it could be up around 16k - 18k now :eek:

12k sticks in my head for this year, not 100% though

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    12k sticks in my head for this year, not 100% though

you reckon about 14/15 (100cub)loads? 1500cubs for 300 cows would sound right. Some amount of dosh for waste wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

you reckon about 14/15 (100cub)loads? 1500cubs for 300 cows would sound right. Some amount of dosh for waste wood.

This is the issue with looking at present day costs only. I looked at a pad/lagoon 6-8 years ago. Land value alone was 3-4K extra. After that I looked at cost of woodchip and reckoned that it would increase in cost to where it would be uneconomic to use. It like farmers thinking about straw bedded sheds at present. Straw I think will increase in price for a few reasons. First tillage farmers will have to look at humas content of soil, straw burners will also give it an increased value. If straw costs 18/bale in KK and WX in 5 years time what will it cost in Galway.

It the same with OC's try to project what will happen and what will the final cost be. TBH a dog with a mallet you know where could see what was going to happen with Woodchip 4-5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Wouldn't wait until calving before getting albex, u could be missing out on a month or more of thrive in any cows with a worm burden

Wouldn't wait until calving before getting albex, u could be missing out on a month or more of thrive in any cows with a worm burden

I have all the heifers done for the last 3 weeks but the cows are in good condition. They got eprinex in august so they might not have too much in them

We go with Albex at drying along with lice treatment

I have all the heifers done for the last 3 weeks but the cows are in good condition. They got eprinex in august so they might not have too much in them

Ok, maybe you're sort of covered. But you may as well give it now as waiting any longer, it'll be the same cost. Also calving is a stressful enough time for cows without giving them something else to have to deal with.

Savage fluke problem here. Was at 500 on the bulk tank test last year. 200 this year. Hoping to get rid of it totally this year. Will probably use zanil next year at drying as I suspect a few cows of rumen fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What lice treatment?

just do it wrote: »
    What lice treatment?

Spot on

Savage fluke problem here. Was at 500 on the bulk tank test last year. 200 this year. Hoping to get rid of it totally this year. Will probably use zanil next year at drying as I suspect a few cows of rumen fluke
    Would go with zanil immediately while they're dry. Why wait a whole yr if it may be problem now. If u find out mid lactation that it's an issue and u have use zanil then, u'll have to dump the milk for 3 days. Had to double dose here with zanil a few yrs ago (at drying off and mid jan) as did other guys in my group before we got a handle on rumen fluke. Gonna stop going on about dosing cows in this thread now as it has nothing to do Grenfields!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

and then zanil at calving;)

biddy2013 wrote: »
    and then zanil at calving;)

Zanil at calving is definitely not a good idea. Zanil actually sickens and scours a lot of cows after getting it. Coupling this with the most stressful day of the cows year makes no sense. If using zanil, do it immediately, cows are probably housed long enough at this stage, so why wait

Each to their own. I am doing this under veterinary advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Zanil at calving is definitely not a good idea. Zanil actually sickens and scours a lot of cows after getting it. Coupling this with the most stressful day of the cows year makes no sense. If using zanil, do it immediately, cows are probably housed long enough at this stage, so why wait

I was at a meeting last November and a Vet was talking about this of animals being sick after Zanil/Levatas diamond. What he said was that it was animals that had Stomach Fluke that suffered most after dosing. Not sure of the lenght of time involved but these products only kill adult Stomach fluke and that they take about 10 weeks from egg-mature. However it may still pay to dose now as you take the top off the fluke and dose again after calving if this Vet is right then dosing twice may not be as severe. Did any body else come accross this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Agreed fully, I've heard of farmers giving a cow with bad fluke 140ml of zanil, above the max recommended 110ml,definitely not good enough in the context of above. Consider zanil to be a strong laxative for an animal!

Agreed fully, I've heard of farmers giving a cow with bad fluke 140ml of zanil, above the max recommended 110ml,definitely not good enough in the context of above. Consider zanil to be a strong laxative for an animal!

Yes. 110 no is the dose. Why people feel the need to overdose I will never understand

Each to their own. I am doing this under veterinary advice

Vets can get it wrong too sometimes!

Vets can get it wrong too sometimes!

So can I . But in fairness would be better to dose them than not at all

+1 on that. Would u give a woman a strong laxative on the day she's giving birth, I think not!

• Advertisement

So can I . But in fairness would be better to dose them than not at all

Absolutely, all I'm saying is don't wait until the day the cow calves. If i have a rumen fluke problem, then today before tomorrow is the best time to try and solve it.

Advertisement