Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenfield kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

+1 on that. Would u give a woman a strong laxative on the day she's giving birth, I think not!

They used to. My mother has often told us they cleared her out before we where born :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

biddy2013 wrote: »
    They used to. My mother has often told us they cleared her out before we where born :)

Probably no harm , I believe a brown trout can be pushed out along with the baby sometimes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

biddy2013 wrote: »
    Each to their own. I am doing this under veterinary advice

I got veterinary advice the exact same as what deepsouthwest said. Was told to do them 8 days before calving.

But I think the advice this year is to only use Zanil if you're after testing positive for rumen fluke. It's the only treatment you're allowed for it and you don't want to be building up a resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

i do them when i take them out of dry cow shed, could be a week before calving or a couple of days after calving when they are done, the important thing is that if the dose is needed it is done- peace out:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Do any if ye take dung samples to see what ye need to dose for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

delaval wrote: »

Yeah, and doing the munster herd health programme as well, which takes 3 milk samples during the yr and analyses for nearly everything. Some people will argue that dung or milk samples aren't definitive either, so I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Ya. Fluke and rumen fluke. None of either showed up. Dosed for fluke anyway on vet advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Just going by milk results for this year because its coming back so high in it. Will do dung samples next year. Hard to get fluke out of autumn calvers though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

jersey101 wrote: »
    Just going by milk results for this year because its coming back so high in it. Will do dung samples next year. Hard to get fluke out of autumn calvers though

u can not test milk for rummen fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ya. Fluke and rumen fluke. None of either showed up. Dosed for fluke anyway on vet advice.

Why dose if no eggs.bet the vet sold up fasinex too instead of endofluke

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Why dose if no eggs.bet the vet sold up fasinex too instead of endofluke

Nope, endofluke, already had it bought from him.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

milkprofit wrote: »
    u can not test milk for rummen fluke

Yes I know that. But I haven't been home full time till this year and I'm not on the ball yet. I should have gotten dung samples done. Ill get rid of the fluke burden this year hopefully. Cows I have dosed twice for fluke this year are still falling behind so I suspect rumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Hmm cows out full time for last week and only 3 kg of meal and I'd say a mouthful of whole crop on the extreme wet days .hope to god no one is following that advice as cows would melt away .all for getting cows out to grass but to me that diet is lacking in energy big time and cows must be loosing condition which is not what u want after calving.

Hmm cows out full time for last week and only 3 kg of meal and I'd say a mouthful of whole crop on the extreme wet days .hope to god no one is following that advice as cows would melt away .all for getting cows out to grass but to me that diet is lacking in energy big time and cows must be loosing condition which is not what u want after calving.
    Mine are on 4 kg and grass but there is silage there if they need it. But there not overly hungry

5 kg base here plus grass and high dmd wraps fed to appetite here.to be honest in current weather conditions they need every bit of it.had a look at parlour report and I've some cows doing over 30 Ltrs and heifers hitting 26 Ltrs and not calving 2 weeks.

5 kg base here plus grass and high dmd wraps fed to appetite here.to be honest in current weather conditions they need every bit of it.had a look at parlour report and I've some cows doing over 30 Ltrs and heifers hitting 26 Ltrs and not calving 2 weeks.[/quot

18 here last I checked. Was due milk recording start of month but have heard nothing at all

Was talking to a friend down in thurlas today milking near 100 cows. Start of calving was due 2nd Feb only 2 so far and rest very slow coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Was talking to a friend down in thurlas today milking near 100 cows. Start of calving was due 2nd Feb only 2 so far and rest very slow coming

Sure the cows know he's going to turn them out once they're milking so they're waiting till the weather improves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭mf240

And what about the small heifer, shy eater, lame cow that doesn't even get her share of whole crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Young calves heifers put out fulltime at the moment only getting 3kgs of meal and probably getting knock around by the bullies when a bit of wholecrop is offered before milking. If the weather keeps up as it is, these methods will make interesting reading.

At the moment the heifer might as well eat her 3 kgs of meal and go stand by the water trough as she would conserve more energy than being outside trying to eat enough. the energy deficit must be huge :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭mf240

Cows lying off grunting here, full as ticks and comfy on their mayo mats,

Glad I made silage last summer, it's fierce handy in the winter when the weather's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mf240 wrote: »

Glad I made silage last summer, it's fierce handy in the winter when the weather's wet.

Lucky for some, My cows were raiding the 2nd cut back in August :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Young calves heifers put out fulltime at the moment only getting 3kgs of meal and probably getting knock around by the bullies when a bit of wholecrop is offered before milking. If the weather keeps up as it is, these methods will make interesting reading.

At the moment the heifer might as well eat her 3 kgs of meal and go stand by the water trough as she would conserve more energy than being outside trying to eat enough. the energy deficit must be huge :eek:

Don't be questioning these boys their the brighest dairy minds in the country apparently, considering their replacement rates are running between 25-30 % a year when they should be in our around 10-15% its blatantly obvious their canning the cows not even the x-breds can stick that place.
    Would love to see what precentage of the herd is gone past their 3 rd lactation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

mf240 wrote: »

its easy see why your not making money:D, do you realise the cost of making silage is twice that of grazed grass. Such waste is money down the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

quote="mahoney_j;88937867"]Hmm cows out full time for last week and only 3 kg of meal and I'd say a mouthful of whole crop on the extreme wet days .hope to god no one is following that advice as cows would melt away .all for getting cows out to grass but to me that diet is lacking in energy big time and cows must be loosing condition which is not what u want after calving.[/quote]

Do all cows not loose condition after calving ? That diet doesn't really sound to bad for early lactation low input cows as long as they are getting enough grass and weather isn't too bad , I would prefer high quality grass silage to whole crop at that time of the year tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Don't be questioning these boys their the brighest dairy minds in the country apparently, considering their replacement rates are running between 25-30 % a year when they should be in our around 10-15% its blatantly obvious their canning the cows not even the x-breds can stick that place.
    Would love to see what precentage of the herd is gone past their 3 rd lactation

Probably not many gone past their 3rd lactation!Last yr was only they're third year of the trial, and think they started with all heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My calved cows are in good nick out during the day, would you go for a low protein ration giving im well over quota?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    My calved cows are in good nick out during the day, would you go for a low protein ration giving im well over quota?

At least 14% and proab 16%,but make sure it is hi in energy(has a high ufl.energy content more important than protein .use a mix with a good wack of maize in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

kevthegaff wrote: »

Hi energy 12% p. don't want to skin them

• Advertisement

Hi energy 12% p. don't want to skin them

I agree, plenty of protein in grass. Conserve body condition,will give better conception rates in the coming breeding season.

Advertisement