Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

It’s still just easier to see overspill. The signals aren’t intended for outside they UK. It’s just not annoying rights holders enough to warrant encryption, the cost of which is probably prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I picked up a Saorview Connect Box around 2/3 months ago.

150 Euro

I connected a 10 year old 500g USB for recording.

I have found with the WiFi/Internet disabled the box works fine.

With the internet enabled the box was likely to freeze or reboot.

7 day EPG on Saorview channels is good.

Recording is good

However serial link on some Virgin media channels is not always available, so for Cornation Street on VM1 I set the record from the TV guide.

Satellite channels with a Now and Next EPG

Manual record on satellite channels is possible and timers can be set.

Satellite channels are not organised in a very orderly fashion however you can edit move channels and hide, takes time.

I leave the box in standbye power saving mode, it takes a minute or so to boot up.

I foun is I set it to non power save mode for immediate standbye on, the box could reboot.

So overall the demand and internet function is a disaster, however the box for Saorview recording is fine and it has passed the family test with the Internet disabled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

No point then without the internet, most new TV's can do all you described above

Just to add, it records one channel while watching another. My TV doesn't do that.

Good to see the Tech people must be back from Christmas holidays, Serial link back up and working on Virgin Media 1,2 and 3.

Hopefully it lasts this time.

Internet still a disaster on box causing box to freeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I presume series link on Saorview still won't work on Freeview Pvr ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered already but I am looking to source a Saorview box with a record function that will work without an internet connection.

Does the Connect do this or do you need an internet connection to use the record function?

Or would I be better going for a standard saorview box with an external record function (usb)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No internet connection is needed, just an aerial for the box to record/series link

You might need an internet connection on initial set up for a software update.

When set up it works perfect for recording without an internet connection

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies on this.

They currently have a Walker Saorview Digital Receiver but are looking to upgrade to something with a record function.

I have seen some Saorview boxes similar to the below which seem to offer the same as the Saorview Connect but am I missing something as the cheapest Connect seems to be around the €140 mark whereas the below is on sale for €55?

The Revez box doesn't have a built in harddrive for recording. It needs an external harddrive judging by the specs online

Thanks @mackersdublin

From what I can see though the Saorview Connect doesn't ahve an internal hard drive either and would still need an external hard drive (usb) to us the record function. Is this correct? The below are screenshots for the Connect box btw

True, forgot the Connect box isn't a proper PVR

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Plenty of Saorview approved box's around with recording capability when you add a usb.

I have a walker combo sitting in my press.

Saorview Connect will record one channel while you watch another.

Connect also offers serial link

Thanks @FRIENDO

Do you know if the below box offers the function to record one channel while watching another?

The series link would be handy but not sure if it would warrent the extra approx €100 cost if the below can still do the same (minus the series link)

Sorry, I don't know Munster, but it's unlikely

Again judging by the specs online, it has a single tuner, meaning not being able to watch RTE One while recording RTE2

This was your only other option, however I don't think they are sold anymore

They are only Saorview (no satellite)

https://redmondelectric.ie/products/saorview-approved-twin-tuner

• Advertisement

Sorry all, I'm back with what is probably a basic question but we have got the Saorview Connect box now and I tried setting this up last weekend and failed🙈

I thought it would just be a case of swapping this for the Walker Digital Receiver they had in place and I done that but when I scan for the channels there are none found.

I have tried with another TV in another house with the same issue.

The only difference is that on the previous box in both instances, the Walker Digital Receiver and the Saorview plus, both have an antenna out cable whereas I can't see anywhere for this to go on the Connect box?

Am I missing something or does anyone have any idea why there are no channels found?

Maybe you have a faulty box. It should be straight forward plug in the aerial and scan.

You're talking about an antenna out cable are you sure it's the cable from the aerial you're plugging into the box.

I had emailed Saorview on this as well and they also suggested doing a factory reset and if it was still the same it may be down to a faulty box but it was bought new from DID so surely it should be ok?

Yes, it is the aerial cable that I'm plugging in as it's the only one that fits into it. Just seems strange that the antenna out cable is needed for the older boxes but not the connect or would this be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I had one some time ago and if memory serves me there were 3 cable connections on the back, 2 satellite and 1 rf, the cable out signal would come from through the HDMI or composite cable.

I can't think of another reason bar a faulty box they are pretty much plug and play. You could be unlucky and get a faulty one even new from DID.

As Elmo says antenna out is through hdmi.

Its 3 years since I've had one and I don't know if they've improved since but they were an awful glitchy box at that time

Thanks @decor58 & @Banjo Carney

I have contacted DID and they seemingly have to arrange for the box to be collected and sent away for testing/repair so it looks like I will be at least another couple of weeks without the box which is annoying as it had been brought as a present. I fail to understand how they can essentially punish a paying customer for them sending a faulty product🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I doubt anything has changed with this box as they advised me to pass on it and get a better unit that has support.

Read back to see all the negative comments.

Thays not good enough. I'd be bringing it back to DID and leave them give you a replacement. Let them test and repair it in their own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

You may be able to return the item and ask for a full refund. The Consumer Rights Act 2022 (pdf)) introduced new rights when you buy online, by catalogue or over the phone. In most cases you are entitled to change your mind within 14 days of receiving the goods and have a full refund. You don't need to give a reason for changing your mind. This is a good reason for using click and collect rather than dropping into a store and buying in shop if you have any doubt about a planned purchase.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_online.html

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I have gone back to them to say that I am expecting a full refund/exchange straight away as I'm not waiting around for it to be sent away to be tested and waiting 2/3 weeks longer after paying for it

Advertisement