Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anybody know if this would work to get Saorview? I’ll be connecting it up to a Samsung TU7100

Indoor TV Aerial, 50 Miles Digital HDTV Antenna Freeview 4K 1080P HD FM VHF UHF Window Aerial for Local Channels Support ALL Television-13ft Coax Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S6MMTQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R4ETEEYGC1EQYPCZGCF2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Anybody know if this would work to get Saorview? I’ll be connecting it up to a Samsung TU7100

Indoor TV Aerial, 50 Miles Digital HDTV Antenna Freeview 4K 1080P HD FM VHF UHF Window Aerial for Local Channels Support ALL Television-13ft Coax Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S6MMTQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R4ETEEYGC1EQYPCZGCF2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Follow the advice in post ##3302

If you are in a strong signal area, you might get a good result with that, or even a simple aerial made from a coat hanger, but if not, get a decent contract aerial installed properly. You need to know the direction the signal is coming from which inside a property might not be good.

If you have a satellite dish, a sat/uhf splitter at each end would allow the down cable to carry both signals. That is a very good result (assuming the UHF aerial is the right side of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Follow the advice in post ##3302

If you are in a strong signal area, you might get a good result with that, or even a simple aerial made from a coat hanger, but if not, get a decent contract aerial installed properly. You need to know the direction the signal is coming from which inside a property might not be good.

If you have a satellite dish, a sat/uhf splitter at each end would allow the down cable to carry both signals. That is a very good result (assuming the UHF aerial is the right side of the building.

Sorry, I’m on mobile so don’t know how to look at a certain post.

I checked my coverage and I’m in a area with fairly strong signal. So I just went ahead with one from Amazon, won’t use it much but it would be handy to have.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Why hasn't the price of these PowerPoint DXD7025VC boxes fallen? They are still nearly 200 quid

Post edited by icdg on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ballycommon Mast, by convention on this website, all bold text posts are used by a moderator conducting moderation. Please do not do so again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any reason why this service isn't being included on televisions yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

RTE seem to have lost interest in the Saorview connect product. Could someone explain why do Saorview shy away from advertising the fact that one can get all the popular UK free to air channels with no monthly fees with a satellite dish and Saorview combi box? On that Saorview information channel thingy, there's no demo at all showing how to scan the box for the UK free to air channels

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do you seriously think Saorview should advertise the availability of UK fta channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I can understand why they are not pushing it. The product is flawed due to the lack of a managed EPG for satellite. Install can be complex - not everyone will have both aerial and satellite connections to their TV. Plus some people may have had Sky Q, which I assume requires an LNB swap if it doesn't have legacy connections on it. Also people may naturally assume it has recording built-in.

So, it's not a simple message for your typical consumer. Saorview are right to stop pushing it - they know the product is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Reception of UK FTA satellite is a bit of a grey area. Strictly speaking we are not meant to watch it. We only get it by accident of geography. Users of Sky or cable, pay a fee to the UK for access. RTÉ can't be seen promoting a 'foreign' product and aren't going to promote competitors anyway. However, they needed to provide a satellite capable box for use with SaorSat. Oh dear, it also can be used for UK FTA . oops 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We're not meant to watch it when some channels have advertising specifically targeted at Ireland?

There's nothing at all new about cross-border reception. In the heyday of radio most of the stations available for people to listen to, even in countries with several domestic channels to listen to unlike us, would have been from another country.

What you're not allowed do is rebroadcast someone else's signal or put their copyrighted programme information into your EPG without permission.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yes some channels even have dedicated RoI versions which is why I mentioned Sky and Cable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It depends on the channel tbh - ITV, Channel 5, and to a lessor extent BBC certainly do rely on a claim of “overspill”, when it comes to their free to air satellite transmissions. (Cable is a different beast btw).

Now “overspill” was originally meant for the situation where terrestrial transmissions obviously didn’t suddenly stop at a politically drawn line on a map, but I am not sure it was meant to cover satellite transmission to an entire country. But hey, as long as the rights holders are happy.

The channels that target ROI advertising are mostly pay channels which have all their rights cleared for ROI. Ditto Channel 4 long ago sorted out it’s ROI rights to most of its programmes with certain exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just wondering about the Saorview Connect box

With Satellite channels, can you add any free to air channels to the satellite channel list

Example BBC Scotland 1

Bbc Scotland

All free to air news and music channels available on 28e

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

My Brother bought one of these boxes and he is funny enoght happy with it. But have rte thrown in the towel on it, There dosent seam to be any further updates or apps

The app was removed a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see Saorview actually have a tender out to day for the Saorview help center

Any word of a new Saorview Connect box coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Vestel have just announced a new 4k UHD stb, 97xx, with dvb, sat, 4k, wifi, given the number of branded Vestel products available here could it be a contender. The Vestel 97xx is due for release at the end of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

A big plus would be if all 3 players could be got on one unit, RTE Player is widely available, TG4player appears on some units, VM player is on subscription services and Now stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

Does anyone have issues with sateliite channels disappearing on combi box?

Whenever I leave sateliite or turn off box the channels disappear and I have to tune them in again the next time.

Thanks

Post edited by FRIENDO on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Locoparentis

Looking for some help. My mam had gotten rid of Sky years ago we have the aerial they installed still on the side of the house but she got rid of the box when it stopped playing the Freeview UK channels such as ITV and has been using the firestick with netflix and the like.

I am trying to sort out an easy/straightforward way that she can watch RTE 1 live without having to signup for Eir, Sky, and all the rest. The whole Saorview thing has gone over my head. Basically, she has a decent 42-inch sony smart LCD TV about 6 years old would an aerial do the trick if it was plugged into the TV directly such as the one below, or do I need to buy something to go alongside this?

We live in Dublin so was hoping it would pick up a signal but said I would ask before I buy one of the below.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How good an indoor aerial works will depend on how good the Saorview signal is where you locate it, outdoor recommended.

Try one from Argos, easy to return if it isn't satisfactory.

Also, https://www.freetv.ie/indoor-tv-antenna/

The outdoor aerial you refer to I assume is the old Sky dish?

If so why not get a cheap Freesat satellite receiver for the UK channels, such as this and connect to the dish https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhattan-SX-Freesat-HD-Box/dp/B07CD8GHFF/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

That Aerial looks fairly Junky.

There is no substitute for size and as the other poster has Said outdoors.

They don't advertise the availability of UK FTA content because they're not selling it and the reception of that content is at best a bit of a grey area.

Sky and Virgin pay for BBC content, which runs no advertising itself - so the BBC gets paid for that and makes money. They don't make any money out of FTA overspill as it's just 'there' without any advertising to support it, so it's just really a case of it being more hassle to encrypt it than to just rely on the spot beams to keep it fairly UK centric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

The Astra Satellite only got the UkTerrestrial channels in 2000s.

Before Digital Satellite there was limited Free to Air English channels.

Advertisement