Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday 25/9/2020

A) Pin Squat
    122.5kg x 3  (@6)
    130kg x 3  (@7)
    132.5kg x 3  (@8)
    125kg x 7   @9
    112.5kg x 3 x 4

B) Close-Grip Board Press
    97.5kg x 3  (@8)
    82.5kg x 11 (@9)

C) Hanging Leg Raise
    +8kg x 5 x 12

Took yesterday off as my hip wasn't anywhere close to allowing training. Or at least I didn't have enough confidence in it to not give way under a squat.

The problem isn't that it's very sore but it's like it's a nerve thing and the leg just gives. It was a massive mindfúck unracking and stepping back so so tentatively because I wasn't confident the leg wouldn't give way. Which wasn't ideal trying to stand up on the bumper for pin squats. And then having to squat.

Called it after the triple with 130. Twitching when I locked out the first rep threw me off even more so I said that set would be the last. The weight actually felt fine, which is the mad and frustrating part.

At least the close-grip lunchbox press felt good. Way better than last week. Way smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The hip issue sounds very frustrating. Do you have a rough idea of how long you're going to wait to get surgery?

Also, what's a lunchbox press?

Cill94 wrote: »
    The hip issue sounds very frustrating. Do you have a rough idea of how long you're going to wait to get surgery?

Also, what's a lunchbox press?

Was insanely frustrating the other night. Even just getting back and onto the bumper was stressful. Not in an anxiety sense but it was just tiring shuffling back with so little faith in the left leg when right was stepping back.

The surgeon said he'd be hoping I get another 8-10 years from the hip. That's based off the rate of degeneration of the hip bone. A lot of the issues I'm having with it is soft tissue stuff and deep. Left glute not contracting hard enough, for example. I have a shorter ROM when stretching quad as well. Fundamentally, walking has been uncomfortable for months but is getting less so now but theres an awful lot of work to get to that point which I'll just continue longer term and do more pilates on top of it.

Lunchbox press is a board press done with a lunchbox cos I have no board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Was insanely frustrating the other night..

Lunchbox press is a board press done with a lunchbox cos I have no board :)

I suppose it's all about what limitations on training you're happy with between now and a surgery date. Good excuse to get a jacked upper body at least. :D

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now haha

Cill94 wrote: »
    I suppose it's all about what limitations on training you're happy with between now and a surgery date. Good excuse to get a jacked upper body at least. :D

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now haha

I just modify movements that hurt. For example, I can't squat low bar because the hip flexion was causing discomfort and stance width was affected. So just high bar with a narrow stance.

So its knocked what a realistic total is now but I can just keep trying to get back there.

• Advertisement

Sunday 27/9/2020

A) Deadlift
    170kg x 3 (@6)

B) Seated DB OHP
    27.5kgs x 10  (@9)
    22.5kgs x

C) Chest-supported Row
    6 x 15

The left glute was just not working at all. Just struggled to get any contraction. Even just warming up, it wasn't pulling its weight. Hoped getting enough warm ups in would kick it into gear.

But my right side was just carrying too much extra load and the lift was just imbalanced so I left it at 170. 160 wasn't too bad but it was more pronounced with 170 so it wasn't going to improve enough  to add more for two more sets.

I'm less bothered by it today because the hip has felt way better the last two days for normal stuff so it's on the mend. This is just one of those things that will die down too in time.

Tuesday 29/9/2020

A1) NG Pull Ups
    5 x 10

A2) Lateral Raises
    10kgs x 5 x 12

B1) Hamstring Curl
    5 x 12

B2) Leg Extension
    5 x 12

C1) Seated Row
    5 x 15

C2) Hammer Curls 
    5 x 12

D1) Reverse Flys
    5 x 15

D2) Reverse Curls
    5 x 12

Hit pause on the programme. Hip was shítty yesterday and doing squats seemed like a less than sensible option. Last 2 times I've deadlifted, the following days have been sad times. I need to figure out if it's coincidence or not. Squats normally cause no issue but squatting today would have been poking the bear.

So just some pulling work and a bit of upper volume.

Seated hamstring curl obviously hadn't much hip flexion but still felt a twinge on a few reps. Unexpected.

Its frustrating to have to park things for a few days cos I'm just conscious of the timeline to the comp in December and I know I need to get a lot of work in to get my squat and deadlift to where I want them to be. I know its the right thing to do but frustrating nonetheless.

Thursday 1/10/2020

A) Incline Bench
    85kg x 2  (@9)
    77.5kg x 5  (@9)

B1) Weighted Planks
    +25kg x 6 x 30s

B2) DB Shrugs
    25kgs x 6 x 20

C1) OH Tricep Extension
    5 x 15

C2) Face Pulls
    5 x 15

D1) Leg Extension
    5 x 15

D2) Chest Supported Rows
    5 x 15

Hip is a bit up and down. Not sore but that giving way thing was happening a bit so didn't fancy heavier squats.

So just did the incline bench and weighted planks and added some back exercises. And leg extensions for some leg burn.

Discomfort has subsided a lot in the hip and if I wake up having been asleep on the side in question, I'm no longer hobbling for the first part of the day. Which is a decent marker.

Saturday 3/10/2020

A) Tempo Bench (32X0)
    90kg x 2  (@8.5)
    85kg x 4 (@9)
    77.5kg x 3 x 4  (@9)

B1) RDLs
    190kg x 2 (@9)
    160kg x 7 (@9)

B2) BB OHP
    40kg x 6 x 20

C1) Lat Pulldowns
    5 x 12

C2) Hammer Curls
    5 x 12

Bench was probably slightly overshot. I didn't get the first rep back off the chest quickly. It was fine but a touch slower than it should have been. Not hitting it at 7.5-8 was execution rather than weight.

Decided to see how RDLs felt. Leg was giving on me a bit today and I didn't intend to try them out. But mentally they were tough...mostly just the unracking and stepping back. Was expecting left leg to start twitching...was mindfúcked a bit and was shuffling back weirdly. So I'm glad I did them to get that out of my system.

Next test is how the hip feel in the morning

Monday 5/10/2020

A) HB Squat
    120kg x 2
    130kg x 2
    140kg x 2 (@8)
    132.5kg x 5 (@9)
    120kg x 3 x 4

B) Incline Bench
    85kg x 2  (@9)
    77.5kg x  6  (@9)

C) Weighted Planks
    +25kg x 5 x 30s

Hip felt fine after Saturday night's RDLs so I said I'd try get back into the program and just ease up through the gears. I can't see the December meet going ahead but might as well train as if it is.

Warm ups felt lovely. Just worked up in 10kg jumps. 120kg was first time I felt any twinge in glute walking it out but was nowhere near where it was the last time I squatted. Was giddy after 130kg felt so good.

Then....walking out 140, it happened...knee dipped and that threw me a bit. Was tentative on the way down and it was just about right but I definitely thought that 140kg was going to be more like 7.5 but it was an 8. Bit annoying but I'll take it. Heaviest I've squatted since March so, given everything, I'll take it.

Tried walking my left foot back first (felt really weird) for back off with 132.5 and no twinge. Happy to hit 5 @9.

After the last couple of weeks, I was starting to wonder if it was just going ro continue being mildly shít every time and pay for it the next day but today's squats gave me hope.

Again, hopefully it feels any way ok tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Again, hopefully it feels any way ok tomorrow.

So far so good. Bit gammy overnight but seems to be ok today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Fingers crossed emoji

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed emoji

Pretty good idea by now. If it was going to flare up because of squats then I'd know about it by now.

Thursday 8/10/2020

A) Tempo Bench (32X0)
    80kg x 2  (@6)
    87.5kg x 2  (@7)
    92.5kg x 2   (@8)
    87.5kg x 5  (@9)
    80kg x 3 x 4

B) RDL
    195kg x 2  (@8.5)
    165kg x 7  (@9)

C) Lat Pulldown
    6 x 15

That 92.5 on tempo bench was better than the 90 on the dry run while I waited for the hip to settle. Happy with how it felt. The length of time 2s lasts is longer the heavier the weight is #science

Preferred when I just counted it in my head and it didn't last so long.

RDLs were strong. Was very tentative stepping back after the last couple of days doing them. Didn't go on me but was stepping back waiting for it to go. That should go in time.

Can feel the hip a bit but got a cream that's basically extra strong tiger balm based on what's in it.

Saturday 10/10/2020

A) Pin Squat
    120kg x 2  (@6)
    130kg x 2  (@7)
    137.5kg x 2  (@8)
    130kg x 5  (@9)
    117.5kg x 3 x 4

B) Close-Grip Board Press
    102.5kg x 2  (@9)
    87.5kg x 8  (@9)

C) Hanging Leg Raise
    +8kg x 5 x 12

Was really just delighted there weren't any noticeable twinges stepping back with the bar so was a little was tentative as it went. Was a bit surprised cos hip was a tiny bit niggly from the afternoon on.

Sloppy first rep on the 137.5 double. Was lop sided for some reason. Not exactly sure on that. Happy enough with 5 on back off with 130.

Not for the first time, had it in my head that I was supposed to be working to top double at RPE 9 rather than 8. Still, happy enough with the double at RPE 9....

Will see how it feels but I might leave it an extra day before next day cos I have deadlifts. They're the big concern for me with aggravating the hip. Last two deadlift days were followed by a couple of days of a sore hip. But question of correlation /causation etc

Wednesday 14/10/2020

A) Deadlift
    175kg x 2
    190kg x 2
    200kg x 2
    190kg x 3 
    170kg x 4

B) Seated DB OHP
    27.5kgs x 10  (@9)
    22.5kgs x 15

C) Chest-supported Row
    6 x 15

The hip has been a bit up and down but it seems to be a nerve issue given how it comes and goes but when it comes it can stick around for hours. Was in with the physio earlier and there's a definite improvement in how strong everything feels; certain exercises I didn't have the strength to do before so that's a positive.

Happy enough with the 200. Sloppy 3rd rep on the back off with 190. Switched off while thinking it would maybe be a 5-rep set. Stooopid.  Left it at one set of back off at 170 because I started to feel something in my hip - nothing too bad but I'm just going to be mindful of volume with heavier deadlifts.

I'll settle for being reasonably pain free tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dot

So...deadlifts are a hip problem. Will need to find a way around it...whether it's just the weight or full ROM.

Sunday 18/10/2020

Realised I had finished the block so said I'd just go do a few squats, some bench and a lot of rowing/pulling.

Squats were moving nicely. But there was niggling/twitching in my hip. Midway down with 120 it kicked in and the leg wobbled. It was just at that point. It actually moved quickly enough. So I went to 130 and thought it was gone but it started again when I unracked. So just re-racked and moved on.

Did some close grip bench then. I've only been doing tempo bench and close grip lunchbox press so I just said I'd do close grip cos no point seeing where I am on bench...because I know I'd be more invested in the bench number and be a little bothered if I fell short of where I think I should be.

Anyway, hit 107.5kg on close-grip. I've always had a good close-grip in relation to comp bench...usually maybe within 5-7.5kg of comp bench, so not mad or anything but a nice marker all the same.

A fair whack of rows and pull ups after.

Gave the rack a hug on the way out. Shed a tear and we said our goodbyes.

Tuesday 20/10/2020

A) Squat
    152.5kg x 1

B) Bench
    110kg x 1

Obviously it was going to be a let's have a bit of fun. I brought the Power Perfects for squatting but I pretty much assumed the squats would be short-lived given how the hip felt the last few times I tried to squat.

145kg moved well enough so went up to 152.5kg, which is about 10kg or so heavier since I have been able to go to since just before last lockdown. I got the PPs cheap so they were just an experiment...definitely felt myself lean forward a little more on them and that kicked in on the top set so I'll be going back to the Powerlifts. The PPs were more comfortable than the PLs though.

I'll be doing a lot more of the work on my hip for the next 6 weeks to hopefully put it in good shape when the gyms reopen. As long as the frequency of flare ups reduces.

New bench PR.  Probably to be expected if I hit 107.5kg on close-grip.

Nice way to head into the lockdown. Buzzing that I could squat and now the average daily discomfort score the last week or so has been marginally lower so hopefully 6 weeks of even more work on it.

2 years to the day since my last competition. Didnt think 2 years would have passed and I wouldn't have done another. Nor that I would have a gimp hip.

• Advertisement

Lockdown workout #1

Friday 23/10/2020

A1) Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 15

A2) DB Floor Press
    30kgs x 5 x 12

B1) DB RDLs (3230)
    (2 x 30kg) x 4 x 12

B2) Plank w/ Hip Extension
    4 x 60s alternating legs

B3) Purple Band Pull Aparts
    4 x 10

Wanted to ease into the volume on squats to see if it's going to be an issue for the hip. Had intended sets of 20 but started to feel a bit niggly towards the end of the first set so cut back to 15 and just gauge how it felt.

Same with the RDLs...volume relatively low and gauge how it feels. Have been having a good run without any flare-ups lately so don't want to give myself one. Had intended more but cut first set at 15 and said to just add in some tempo.

Floor press felt solid.

A session for gauging things but I might need to look at how I manage volume for my hip without being an exercise in pointlessness, so to speak.

Monday 26/10/2020

Lockdown workout #2

A1) DB Hack Squat
    30kgs x 5 x 12

A2) Tempo Push Ups (31X0)
    5 sets to RPE 9

B1) Feet Elevated Hip Bridge
    4 x 20

B2) Hip Abduction w/ internal/external rotation
    4 x 12/12/12

B3) OHP (purple band)
    4 x max

B4) Reverse Flys (red band)
    4 x max

Was supposed to be single-leg stuff but left leg wasn't feeling stable enough so hack squats to the floor. Not what I had in mind but better than nothing. Cut the set if I started feeling it in my hip.

Was supposed to be single-leg elevated hip bridge but left leg wasn't playing ball so just did both feet and added in some hip abductions with internal and external rotation. Just to work the hip more and see if it would help how the leg felt. Seemed to be a bit better by the end.

One thing I'm going to try and do is avoid flare-ups and work even harder at the flare ups. If I lose strength, so be it.

Lockdown workout #3

Wednesday 28/10/2020

A1) Platz Squat
    30kgs x 2 x 20
    60kgs x 3 x 15

A2) Single Arm Rows
    30kg x 15 e/s

B1) Single-Leg RDL 
    4 x 10 e/s

B2) OH Tricep Extension
    4 x 15  (green band)

B3) Banded Flys (green band)
    4 x 20

The wedge I used has about a 6" elevation on it so fairly elevated heels and could feel it in the quads. Not hugely cos of the weight but was a change anyway.

Could get a good few reps in before had to start cutting it a bit above parallel for the hip.

Some RDLs. ..tentative on the left but got a bit more confident as it went on.

Some pumpage at the end.

Lockdown workout #4

Saturday 31/10/2020

A1) Floor Press
    30kgs x 5 x 12

A2) Single Arm Rows
    30kg x 5 x 15 e/s

B1) Single-Arm OHP
    4 x max

B2) DB Shrugs
    30kgs x 4 x 20

B3) Purple Band Pull Aparts
    4 x 15

Had to run to get something before place was closed yesterday and while it felt ok at the time, couple of hours later I could feel it in my hip and still did today so just upper body today.  Tested a couple of movements and no bueno. Don't think I even ran for more than 90s and a day of discomfort. Marvellous.

The pull aparts with the purple band move like a sumo pull...need to be patient and then it moves. Lovely pump off it

Lockdown workout #5

Monday 2/11/2020

A1) Pause RDLs
    30kgs x 5 x 12

A2) Wide Push Ups
    5 x Max

B1) Single-Leg Calf Raises
    12kg x 4 x Max

B2) Front Raises 
    4 x 20

B3)Tricep Pressdown
    4 x Max

Was grand.

Measured the width of the rings on the bar and moved the push up handles outside that so as to make sure it was the kind of width needed and was good pump.

Other pumpage ensued.

Lockdown workout #6

Wednesday 4/11/2020

A1) Front Heel Elevated Split Squat
    4 x 12 e/s

A2) Close Push Ups
    4 x Max

B1) Seated Band Rows
    4 x 20

B2) Banded Hamstring Curls
    4 x 20

B3)Lateral Raises
    4 x 15

Having the front foot on the wedge just keeps the knee forward and makes the quads work a bit harder. Constant tension because you can't fully lock out the knee. Something that I can progress with more tempo, pauses and then making it Bulgarian.  But wanted to see how the hip responded to the basic split squat first.

Lockdown workout #7

Friday 6/11/2020

A) 1.5 Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 8

A2) NG Tempo Push Up (3030)
    5 x 12

A3) Russian Twists
    5 x Max

B1) Staggered Stance Good Morning
    25kg x 4 x 8 e/s

B2) Underhand-Grip Band Pull Aparts 
    Purple band:  5 x 12

B3) Ab Rollout
    4 x Max

C) Side Plank w/ rotation
    5 x Max

COH sent me a workout to do after I'd done a bit of figuring out what bothered my hip (higher rep stuff at home bothers it more than SBD in the gym cos the number of reps is less). Squat and hip hinge will have the hip start to get cranky somewhere beyond 12 reps so instead of looking for that point, trying to be effective with reduced volume.

Goblet squats were fine but I know I can dial up the difficulty with tempo, pauses (1-3) or both and get a decent hit off it.

Tempo push up...3s down, 3s up...burny.  If I didn't have the metronome, not a hope the 3s up and down would be 3s. 12 reps was harder than it looked on paper.

Enjoyed that. Some good ways to make the most out of minimal weight.

Lockdown workout #8

Monday 9/11/2020

A1) DB Floor Press (@9)
    30kgs x 15, 13, 13, 10, 10

A2) Single-Arm Row (@9)
    30kg x 19, 19, 17, 17, 16

A3) Banded Pressdown
    5 x Max

B1) Wide Push Ups 21s
    5 sets

B2) Banded Lateral Raises  
    5 x Max

B3) DB Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Hollow Hold
    5 x Max

Did the Bs during a work meeting #multitasking.

4th set on floor press was actually going fine but a sloppy rep was slow to lockout and ended up with just 10

Will add some pauses to the push up 21s  next time to increase difficulty.

The core DOMS from the ab wheel on Friday still have me in bits.

Lockdown workout #9

Wednesday 11/11/2020

A1) Toes Elevated Tempo DB RDLs (42X0)
    30kgs x 5 x 8

A2) Split Squat 21s
    5 sets

A3) Push Up Hold (bottom ROM)
    5 sets (35-45s)

B1) Double DB Row
    30kgs x 5 x @9 (16-18 reps)

B2) (Purple) Banded Curls
    5 x Max

B3) Close-Grip Eccentric Push Ups
    5 x Max

C) Weighted Plank
    5 x Max

Elevating the toes on the RDLs gets a good hamstring contraction with a little shorter ROM. Hip approves.

Push up holds...had no idea what to expect and arms trembling early so 45s was kinda surprising.

Eccentric push ups were killer...well, surprisingly burny. 10s eccentric was the bar....when I couldn't keep it as slow as needed to be, plug pulled.

• Advertisement

Lockdown workout #10

Monday 16/10/2020

A1) 1.5 Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 8

A2) NG Tempo Push Up (3030)
    5 x 12

A3) Russian Twists
    5 x Max

B1) Staggered Stance Good Morning
    30kg x 4 x 8 e/s

B2) Underhand-Grip Band Pull Aparts 
    Purple band:  5 x 13

B3) Ab Rollout
    5 x Max

C) Side Plank w/ rotation
    5 x Max

Had intended to do this on Friday but unexpected hip flare up so just rested it.

Still not right on Saturday and just hadn't time on Sunday back into it tonight. Hip settling again.

Paused at the the points on the 1.5 squat: bottom, midway back up, bottom again. Need to bring in tempo next week.

Tempo push ups are a killer. What a deep burn.

Using the purple band for pull aparts definitely works the muscles and you can feel them burn.

Few more ab rollout reps this time. I hope the ab gods grant my core a pardon this week.

Advertisement