Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Saturday 15/8/2020

A) Paused HB Squat
    115kg x 4 (@6)
    122.5kg x 4 (@7)
    127.5kg x 4 (@8)
    107.5kg x 10, 10

B) 2ct-pause Bench
    85kg x 4 (@9)
    67.5kg x 11, 8

Squat moved well enough. Kept upper back tighter. But I kept getting twinges in my hip and it was throwing me off. Not achey like it has been but just sharp darts. Need to be better at dismissing that on the heavier sets. Back off sets were better than last week but the pins and needles nonsense in my left arm is a joke. Either that or its a sign that more than 8 reps is unhealthy....

Had to really rush the second back off set of bench hence the fall off.

Squat is the one movement I'm struggling to get into a groove with. Just feels like it's a touch 'off centre'. Just have to keep plugging away.

Monday 17/8/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    77.5kg x 4
    87.5kg x 4
    95kg x 4 (@9)
    80kg x 9, 8

B) RDLs
    165kg x 8  (@9)
    132.5kg x 15, 13

Overcooked the top set on close-grip bench. Was a 9. Supposed to be 8-8.5.

RDLs were fairly good but christ they're brutal. Had a good sit-down after. Hamstrings shaking after.

Started off alright but felt a bit short of energy for some reason. Not hugely but just felt like I was a bit shorter of gas than usual. Still, it went decently all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Good weight there lad, fair play

Wednesday 19/8/2020

A) HB Pin Squat (comp depth)
    110kg x 6 (@6)
    115kg x 6 (@7)
    120kg x 6 (@8)
    102.5kg x 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    25kgs x 10 (@9)
    20kgs x 16, 13

Forgot my squat shoes so had to lift in flats. I like the shoes tighter and more solid sole but I don't think it made a difference today.

Technically was way better tonight than last week. Not a big increase weight wise but way better technically. Stopped the subconscious leaning at the bottom to let the bar on the pins so was stronger pushing put of the hole.

Got light headed on the last rep of the first back off set and fell forward halfway up...and off the bumper I was standing on ...so called it. That was mad weird. Could have gone badly if I caught my foot wrong on the bumper I was standing on.

Energy had fallen off a cliff for the OHPs. Weird. But should have been expected I guess. 27.5s were not going to budge. Surprised the 25s moved afterwards to be honest.

Weird one.

ETA: made notes through the session. Didn't realise I'd said 'weird' that much...

Friday 21/8/2020

A) Beltless Comp Deadlift
    157.5kg x 3 (@6)
    165kg x 3 (@7)
    172.5kg x 3 (@8)
    145kg x 12, 11

B) Pin Press (3" off chest)
    92.5kgs x 4  (@9)
    75kg x 11, 9

Happy with how the DLs moved. Top set was 91% of my beltless PR from when I didn't sh*t the bed over heavy deadlifts. It's nice to be doing them beltless; they're free rep PRs but that in itself builds confidence for when the belt goes back on. Good mentally. Form holding up nicely as well...more controlled, continuing in the same vein as last week and my body could feel a massive difference in the technique improvement the next day...

Pin press moved well. Felt solid.

• Advertisement

Sunday 23/8/2020

A) Paused HB Squat
    120kg x 3 (@6)
    125kg x 3 (@7)
    130kg x 3 (@8)
    110kg x 10, 10

B) 2ct-pause Bench
    90kg x 3 (@9)
    72.5kg x 9, 8

Squat moved better. Looking back, form was a touch off cos I didn't keep myself tight enough. Everything felt more stable. Still just feels like it's a touch away from clicking into place. Second set of back offs, in particular, felt good though. A little more like they were edging to where they feel right.

Rushed the back offs on bench again because time hence the drop. More exercises to do from the physio so it ate in a little bit.

Tuesday 25/8/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    97.5kg x 3 (@9)
    82.5kg x 9, 7

B) RDLs
    175kg x 6  (@10)
    140kg x 10, 10

Was a bit condensed because I had to get this done at lunch since the rest of the week is a bit unclear yet. Didn't gave time to loosen up as much as I'd like, which I felt more on RDLs. Think

90 moved so nicely, I went to 97.5. Messed up the bar path on second rep, hence being higher RPE than the 8-8.5 it was supposed to be.

RDLs felt heavy at 140 but 160 felt no heavier so went for 175. Overcooked it so I left a few reps in the tank on both back off sets.

Felt like an extra gravity day today.

Wednesday 27/8/2020

A) HB Pin Squat (comp depth)
    112.5kg x 6 (@6)
    117.5kg x 6 (@7)
    125kg x 6 (@8)
    105kg x 10, 10

B) Seated DB OHP
    27.5kgs x 8 (@9)
    22.5kgs x 14, 10

Was on the road a bit today and got home only about 90 mins before training, I didn't get time to warm up to the degree I needed to so capped the back off sets...cos I know in similar situations previously, it messed with my hip more than I'd like to so played it sensible.

OHP was decent. Probably shouldn't have ground out that last rep on the first back off set.

Given the day and the 2hrs of sleep last night, I'm pretty happy with that. Squats, in particular, felt very strong.

Saturday 29/8/2020

A) Comp Deadlift
    160kg x 2 (@6)
    167.5kg x 2 (@7)
    175kg x 2 (@8)
    147.5kg x 9, 9

B) Pin Press (3" off chest)
    95kgs x 3  (@9)
    75kg x 12, 11

Two-parter again. Back in COH HQ - craic was had but it meant only just got through deadlifts. Upper back rounded on top set. I know I didn't keep my head on my cues like I should and didn't get my chest up on the pull. Really need to remember to do that and make it subconscious.

Top set of pin press was so much better than last week.

Fúck ton of rows at the end and some pull ups and shrugs.

Wednesday 2/9/2020

A) HB Squat 
    112.5kg x 5   (@6)
    117.5kg x 5   (@7)
    125kg x 5  (@8.5)
    118.5kg x 9   (@9)
    107.5kg x 3 x 5

B) Incline Bench
    77.5kg x 5 (@9)
    70kg x 9, 8   (@9)

C) Weighted Planks
    +20kg x 5 x 40s

New block. Moar vol-yoom.

And first normal squats in forever. Been tempo and pin squats since gyms reopened. So was looking forward to it.

Last rep at 125 is what made it an RPE 8.5. Shouldn't have been near that. 3/4 reps in I was thinking I'd undershot the RPE 8-8.5 Annoying but overall it was good. Started off letting myself lean into it a bit so I needed to rein that in.

Incline was alright. Kept the incline in the 45-60 deg range. Closer to a comp I'd have it lower.

Been doing a lot of plank variations lately as part of a big round of exercises for my hip so was happy enough to do weighted planks on top of it.

• Advertisement

Friday 4/9/2020

A) Tempo Bench (32X0)
    60kg x 5 (@6)
    67.5kg x 5 (@7)
    77.5kg x 5 (@8-8.5)
    70kg x 7 @9
    62.5kg x 3 x 5

B) RDL
    177.5 x 5 (@9)
    150kg x max

C) Lat Pulldown
    6 x 15

Got the last available rack in FF Ranelagh and it was a sh*t one. Least worst pin was way too high.  Next one down was about 8" lower ffs.

Tempo bench brought together my two favourite things...tempo and 2s pause. Forgot my headphones so everyone around me got to hear the metronome app ticking away. Couldn't be any worse than the music at least.

The 60 and 67.5 were probably a little under RPE 6 and 7 but they were to gauge the top set, which was right where it was supposed to be. Rushed the back off set @9 thinking I'd be pushed for time to get it all done.

The 3s eccentric feels so much better than the 1s difference between that and a 4s eccentric would suggest.

Could have done without hitting the pins on the second last rep of top set of RDLs.

Think i rushed some of it on account of it being during lunch break.

Saturday 5/9/2020

A) Pin Squat
    115kg x 5 (@6)
    122.5kg x 5 (@7)
    130kg x 5 (@8-8.5)
    123.5kg x 7   @9
    111kg x 3 x 5

B) Close-Grip Board Press
    90kg x 5  (@8)
    77.5kg x 9  (@9)

C) Hanging Leg Raise
    5 x 15

Pin squats just felt heavy. They moved alright but just felt heavy. Had two plates to stand on so didn't have to stand on bumper cos they're just uneven underfoot. But didn't feel 100% stable.

Some movements you will never learn to like but you come to an agreement with them. Pin squats, though...they can suck my balls. Perhaps not helped by doing them standing on plates buy still.

Close-grip lunch box press didn't feel as odd as expected but took a bit of time to line up the lunch box properly

Monday 7/9/2020

A) Deadlift
    155kg x 5 (@6)
    162.5kg x 5 (@7)
    170kg x 5 (@8)
    162.5kg x 7 (@9)
    150kg x 5

B) Seated DB OHP
    25kgs x 12  (@9)
    20kgs x 19

C) Chest-supported Row
    5 x 15

Top set felt fine but technically should have been better. Tidied it up again on 162.5 back off and how it felt was a reminder as to why I should get it right.
    Felt a bit of discomfort in my left hip on second set of 150 so just pulled the plug.  Hip has been improving lately and the level of general discomfort is slowly going down so anything that jeopardises that can get f*cked.

Happy with OHP.

Wednesday 9/9/2020

A) HB Squat 
    117.5kg x 4   (@6)
    125kg x 4   (@7)
    132.5kg x 4  (@8.5)
    126kg x 5   (@9)
    113.5kg x 2 x 5

B) Incline Bench
    80kg x 4 (@9)
    72.5kg x 7 (@9)

C) Weighted Planks
    +20kg x 5 x 45s

The afternoon and evening was sponsored by Murphy's Law. Part of me thought training was the last thing I'd want to and part of me thought it was the thing I should do. I walked to the gym while I tried to figure out which part would win...

Squats felt good up til 2nd rep of top set. Just felt a bit iffy deep in my hip. I said I'd be conservative on the back off sets but I could have done with being more conservative.

It's felt like it's been very slowly moving in the right direction lately so I probably subconsciously felt it would be fine.

Going to try doing the hip exercises after training. Maybe they're fatiguing certain small muscles (as if that narrows it down) too much ahead of squats. Will try anyway and see if it makes a difference.

Anyway, was glad I went in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyway, was glad I went in the end

It’s always the way, isn’t it.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s always the way, isn’t it.

Yep. That's why I just go anyway.

Well, that and habit and stubbornness.

Monday 14/9/2020

A) Tempo Bench (32X0)
    65kg x 4  (@6)
    75kg x 4   (@7)
    82.5kg x 4   (@7.5-8)
    78.5kg x 6  @9
    71kg x 3 x 5

B) RDL
    182.5 x 4 (@9)
    155kg x 8

C) Lat Pulldown
    6 x 15

Bit of an enforced layoff the last few days. The littlest Veedersane was referred for a covid test so had to isolate until the negative came. Have his dose now though so my throat feels like it was attacked with a wire brush and a bit tired.

Bench actually felt decent. Happy enough with that.

RDLs felt solid on the way up. Expected 175 @9 to be as far as I'd go but, inexplicably, 167.5kg felt so smooth and solid that I went to 182.5kg. An extra rep with 5kg more on the back off set. No idea how that happened. Presumed I'd be a few kilos short across the board today. WTAF.

Wednesday 16/9/2020

A) Pin Squat
    117.5kg x 4  (@6)
    125kg x 4  (@7)
    132.5kg x 4  (@8)
    125kg x 7   @9
    112.5kg x 3 x 5

B) Close-Grip 3" Lunchbox Press
    95kg x 4  (@8.5)
    80kg x 10  (@9)

C) Hanging Leg Raise
    6 x 15

Pin squats were better last week. Getting a bit more of a groove on them. Would have been helpful on the top set of the lad who finished his set of curls hadn't decided to walk in front of me on the last 2 reps to shake all the reps out of his arm.

Top set of close-grip lunchbox press was higher RPE than it should have been because I had it in my head that the top set was supposed to be @9 instead of being @8.

Still a bit tired so happy enough with how that went in hindsight

Friday 18/9/2020

A) Deadlift
    160kg x 4 (@6)
    170kg x 4 (@7)
    180kg x 4 (@8)
    171kg x 5  (@9)
    153.5kg x 2 x 5

B) Seated DB OHP
    25kgs x 12  (@9)
    20kgs x 20

C) Chest-supported Row
    6 x 15

First rep on 180 felt slow and I wasn't sure if I overcooked it but there was no slowdown in the reps and yeah happy was @8.

OHPs was same for top set. Was aiming for an extra rep or two on back off but

I knew time was going to be squeezed tonight so did the rows at lunchtime yesterday.

Your DL is back to pre Covid form?

• Advertisement

Your DL is back to pre Covid form?

Yeah pretty close to it, I'd say. Still need to tidy it a little bit but mentally it's feeling good.

ETA: whether or not it's where it should be is another matter.

Sunday 20/9/2020

A) HB Squat
    120kg x 3 (@6)
    130kg x 3 (@7)
    137.5kg x 3 (@8)
    130kg x 5 (@9)
    117.5kg x 3 x 4

B) Incline Bench
    82.5kg x 3  (@9)
    75kg x  6  (@9)

C) Weighted Planks
    +25kg x 5 x 45s

Hip has felt better than it has in nearly 6 months all week. Woke up yesterday and it had reversed about a month. Eased a little today but it was a bit demoralising. Not the best mental set up for squatting, which is the one left I feel has been slowest to recover after gyms reopened in July.

But then squats started to move. 130 moved better than expected. Twinge in glute med on second rep threw me a bit and was a bit too tentative on last rep and not as much intent so moved a little slower than it should but was grand.

Gave a little when stepping back my right foot when taking the bar out for the back-off with 130. Not a great start, mentally, but was happy enough to hit a set of 5 with it. All in all, reasonably happy. Not really back where I was before lockdown in March. Max was 160-165. I'd put it about 155 or thereabouts now. If I could be twinge-free working up to it.

Depends

Wednesday 22/9/2020

A) Tempo Bench (32X0)
    70kg x 3  (@6)
    80kg x 3   (@7)
    85kg x 3   (@7.5)
    81kg x 5  (@9)
    72.5kg x 3 x 5

B) RDL
    175kg x 1

C) Lat Pulldown
    6 x 15

Was in physio with hip earlier. Hopefully the last few days is a blip that will iron itself out once I continue on doing the work. But some soft tissue work and I'm not sure if that impacted hip a bit.

Bench was grand. Made sure to stay within the RPE 7.5-8. I tend to push it to 8 and sometimes it can slip to 8.5.

Hip was twitchy from the start. I'd 25,000 steps done before the gym and discomfort had eased back but it's like a nerve getting pinched and losing power in the leg. Happened walking out the back off set on squats the other night. Happened from about 130 on when I was stepping back with the bar. And then I could feel my right leg was carrying more of a load because I think, sub consciously, I didn't trust my left leg.

Had intended 175 to be the gauge for the top set of 3 @9 but it wasn't happening. Brain was just "Hip! Hip! Hip! Hip! Are you sure it's ok?" and the first rep was a bit off and hip twitched before I started a second rep so I just racked it, swore for a minute or two and stripped the bar.

Im hoping it might just be the after effects of the physio and it'll be grand again asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Would have been a 7 with some anime music to spur you on ;).

I’m assuming you’re not doing any of the comps coming up?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Would have been a 7 with some anime music to spur you on ;).

I’m assuming you’re not doing any of the comps coming up?

I had planned to do the one in December. I still do. If I was to wait for it to be normal again, I probably wouldn't ever be going again.

For the most part, it doesn't hamper as much as tonight. I'd like to just get on the platform and give it a bash though. Four days ago, I was feeling great and that I was on a slow upward trajectory with the hip and even Sunday's squats were ok. But when it acts up like tonight, all bets are off.

But I like training towards whatever the best I can wring out of myself regardless and the total will be down but the frame of reference is different so all I can do is my best and hopefully be in a position to go again after that and build on it.

I had planned to do the one in December. I still do. If I was to wait for it to be normal again, I probably wouldn't ever be going again.

For the most part, it doesn't hamper as much as tonight. I'd like to just get on the platform and give it a bash though. Four days ago, I was feeling great and that I was on a slow upward trajectory with the hip and even Sunday's squats were ok. But when it acts up like tonight, all bets are off.

But I like training towards whatever the best I can wring out of myself regardless and the total will be down but the frame of reference is different so all I can do is my best and hopefully be in a position to go again after that and build on it.

I'm doing December myself, not having to travel and doing it in the gym I train at made it an easy enough decision. Looking forward to it despite some reservations.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'm doing December myself, not having to travel and doing it in the gym I train at made it an easy enough decision. Looking forward to it despite some reservations.

Whether it goes ahead or not is a different matter.

I'm inclined to think it won't with Limerick being one of the diseased counties in line for further restrictions.

• Advertisement

Whether it goes ahead or not is a different matter.

I'm inclined to think it won't with Limerick being one of the diseased counties in line for further restrictions.

I think we've dropped down the list a bit over the last week, numbers have fallen a good bit, so I'm staying hopeful but who knows what will happen between now and then. Really hoping it's able to go ahead as would like to try to get to Nationals!

Advertisement