Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectations Under Joe [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Bogota wrote: »
    Not the same proposition under a new coach. While the Leinster and to a lesser extent Ulster lads will be well used to Schmidt's sort of playing style I can see some bedding in for the Munster and Connacht lads.

I don't think it will be the walk-over you insist. I won't begrudge a defeat if the team shows its attempting to play a Schmidt style game.

Not specifically talking about the game in the Autumn there, but once we get into the swing of things we really should be beating them at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Australia are nowhere near the force they once were. We really should be beating them at home consistently

They're at a low ebb alright, but never underestimate an Australian team. In saying that, this has to be one of Ireland's best opportunities to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    They're at a low ebb alright, but never underestimate an Australian team. In saying that, this has to be one of Ireland's best opportunities to win.

I think Ireland's record v Australia is 2 losses in the last 5 games. There's no psychological barrier and if we want to progress as a team these home games have to be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd wager in 2/3 years time TH and 9 will be a position of strength. Potentially a lot of talent coming through in those positions like LH and 10 were seen as worrying areas previously but now we have a lot more depth, who are all on an upward trajectory.

I'm not so sure. I think tighthead and scrumhalf will continue to be positions of concern for Ireland in future years.

10 years ago at scrum half we had Stringer, Easterby, Kieran Campbell, Brian O'Meara, Reddan and Chris Keane all starting regularly. Plenty of options and a lot of promise for the future in the likes of Campbell, Reddan and Keane.

Similarly, outhalf was seen as a hugely promising position a decade ago when we had Humph and ROG both being good international options backed up by really promising players in McHugh and Staunton, both capped at that point.

It's impossible to say how these players will turn out. Lets hope they step up and deliver now because it's time or else they're simply going to fall into the same abyss that others have done previously. I'm not sure about any young scrum half in the country making it to the top.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Rightwing wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter where the players play, so long as we win. If there were no munster players, and we got a few grand slams, that would do me fine.

I agree for the most part - I don't think a win should gloss over anything and if there is a clear deficiency or bias in the time that should be acknowledged because it makes you stronger going forward.

Schmidt will inevitably have a certain allegiance to players he knows (wrong word, but he knows what they bring etc). However, I think he showed at Leinster that he is more interested in picking the right players for the style he wants to play than anything else - and it should be noted I didn't always agree with that style. I thought D'Arcy/McFadden was a Godawful centre partnership but Jo picked them to start in the away HEC games because he wanted to pay a certain way, a way I thought did us a disservice but won the games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement