Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectations Under Joe [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options
  • 16-09-2013 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

Ok lads, with November internationals not far away I was wondering how everyone expects us to do under Joe Schmidt

Personally, the signs so far have been good. It's great to see Schmidt visiting each province for training sessions etc and what he's said in the media has been a bit of fresh air after Kidney's "saying something but not much at all" routine

I don't expect change to come overnight, but I'm hopeful that we can become much more consistent over time in terms of our test performances

Samoa will be a serious baptism of fire and you can bet they'll be eyeing us up with a view to a scalp. Then we all know what NZ can do. The Australia game is one we should be winning at home imo, not the force they once were and we should be going into the six nations with a good vibe whatever the outcome of the first two games

Most of all I'm excited tbh, nervous about how Schmidt will handle the transition from top club coach to the international game but excited nonetheless

MOD WARNING:
    awec wrote: »
    This has the potential to be a good thread about what the expectations will be going forward - let's not ruin it by turning it into yet another Kidney thread or an argument about how fans of certain provinces viewed him please. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My immediate exception is for an improvement to the style of rugby that is played, to me results don't matter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Excited definitely, first time I can say that about Ireland for a long time, but after seeing Australia in tatters after their coach was sacked by popular demand I'm very wary. Kidney was a problem over the last few years, but the players still have to deliver.

We have one of the best coaches in the world now in command of our national team though, so there's definitely a reason to be optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Tox56 wrote: »
    Excited definitely, first time I can say that about Ireland for a long time, but after seeing Australia in tatters after their coach was sacked by popular demand I'm very wary. Kidney was a problem over the last few years, but the players still have to deliver.

We have one of the best coaches in the world now in command of our national team though, so there's definitely a reason to be optimistic.

I think we're in a much better place than Australia player wise though, especially in the front five where with the exception of Horwill, they don't have a player that would make the Irish team.

Similarly they don't have anything close to a world class ten whereas we've got one of the best if not the best (Sorry Dan)

Our backrow speaks for itself and while we do have a problem in midfield we have some very good attacking options out-wide

In short I don't think the situations are comparable. Not to mention I don't think the Irish players have the same terrible attitude towards the game as a lot of their Aussie counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Personally, the signs so far have been good. It's great to see Schmidt visiting each province for training sessions etc and what he's said in the media has been a bit of fresh air after Kidney's "saying something but not much at all" routine

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I agree about Australia

I think that will be the key match for me of the three to see how the team is playing/performing

while I want to see Ireland play well and it would be fantastic to win all 3 games:

beating Samoa would be an expectation
    being honest, losing to All Blacks also one

so I think a target of winning 2 of the 3 at least is a realistic aim

that said...as mentioned...the expectation is really around style and general performance

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    What did he say?

Not referring to anything in particular Jm, just the few interviews he's given he seems a lot more frank and honest than Kidney who was a lot more reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think we're in a much better place than Australia player wise though, especially in the front five where with the exception of Horwill, they don't have a player that would make the Irish team.

Similarly they don't have anything close to a world class ten whereas we've got one of the best if not the best (Sorry Dan)

Our backrow speaks for itself and while we do have a problem in midfield we have some very good attacking options out-wide

In short I don't think the situations are comparable. Not to mention I don't think the Irish players have the same terrible attitude towards the game as a lot of their Aussie counterparts

Yeah thinking about it now you could argue we have a world class player in every area of the team with the possible exception of centre, where, ironically, we have one of the greatest centre partnerships ever :confused: (in the front row, second row, back row, half backs and back 3 we have at least 1 player many would consider 'world class').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

P_1 wrote: »
    My immediate exception is for an improvement to the style of rugby that is played, to me results don't matter yet.

I agree. It's still possible Ireland is 0-3 after the AIs, but the manner of defeat if it occurred would be important. However, Ireland should definitely target Samoa & Australia for victory, I think NZ remains a bridge too far at present, although as I've previously blogged if NZ defeat England the week before, which is the game NZ will be targeting the most, then the laurels may be down somewhat. I would expect Australia to improve a bit over time. Stephen Moore would possibly be in the Irish frame if he plied his trade here, and yes Horwill, but otherwise the Australian tight five is truly powder puff.

I look forward to Sexton stamping his mark on the international game, I keep reading how he might be the world's best 10, but once again I struggle to think of meaningful international games where he has utterly dominated. Always gets me into trouble this comment (to be expected on an Irish forum), not saying he's not a very good 10 (he is), but I look forward to seeing how he goes against whichever flyhalf NZ fields against him - and there's a good chance it won't be Carter given his injury travails of recent times.

I'm really hoping Schmidt takes a punt on some of the promising younger players in the squad - not necessarily challenging for a match day spot yet, but the way Hansen has Brad Shields, TJ Perenara etc involved in the NZ training camps with an eye to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

My expectations aren't overwhelming for the Autumn, but longer term id have to rate the job he did at Leinster to be exceptional, if he can do that for Ireland over a year or two I would be delighted, Id love another grandslam in a couple of seasons and a decent showing at a world cup shouldn't be beyond us

Oh, and a Press Conference worth watching...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Hayes to be recalled.

I never had a problem with Kidneys non committal responses and bland generalisations to the media.
    a) its what they deserve
    b) it gave the opposition nothing

BBDBB wrote: »
    I never had a problem with Kidneys non committal responses and bland generalisations to the media.
    a) its what they deserve

It gave the fans nothing too.

Swiwi. wrote: »

I didn't find that stopped them from forming their own views anyway

tbh So what?

nobody really cared what he said after games when he won the grand slam

we all know what he's like in front of a camera

I really dont care about Schmidt's approach to press conferences

Riskymove wrote: »
    tbh So what?

Schmidt is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned, I can't stand inane banal comments from coaches, not to mention the half-time "interviews" with players. If Schmidt can explain his selections not just fudge it, I for one will be happier.

Edit: Comment edited in line with feedback from posters

BBDBB wrote: »
    a) its what they deserve

Have to disagree with that. It's not what the media deserve either, without them Irish rugby would not be where it is today

Schmidt is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned, I can't stand inane banal comments from coaches, not to mention the half-time "interviews" with players. Anyway this is getting off thread, but if Schmidt can explain his selections not just fudge it, I for one will be happier.

I dont disagree about Schmidt but it isn't my main concern...on pitch is

I am just gonna let your first comments go as there is enough stirring of such nonense on these threads and I'd rather stick to the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Riskymove wrote: »
    tbh So what?

There's reticent and there's downright insulting. We're not expecting to hear the tactics that will be employed, but we're not tuning in to 'dial a cliche' either.

At least give the fans (and that's who they're talking to, the media are just the conduit) the courtesy of a nod to their intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I expect slightly improved back play, no change in our forward play. 2 out of 3 wins in the AI
    & for us to bounce between 6th & 10th in the rankings for the next few years

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    At least give the fans (and that's who they're talking to, the media are just the conduit) the courtesy of a nod to their intelligence.

as I said I don't really care what Schmidt says to interviewers after a game, you have a different opinion...fine

I am concerned with what happens on the pitch

Might I be correct in surmising your good self and BBDBB hail from the more southern parts of the Republic. Awfully defensive there. Schmidt is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned, I can't stand inane banal comments from coaches, not to mention the half-time "interviews" with players. Anyway this is getting off thread, but if Schmidt can explain his selections not just fudge it, I for one will be happier.

you might not and no, not defensive in the least, try again if you like and win a goldfish :)

I agree Schmidt is a breath of fresh air. I happen to disagree with you re the offence taken at banal interviews. They are exactly what I expect.

Poor quality questions in the main from media journalists and pundits with an agenda to push and a deadline to hit, to produce a headline. Kidney gave them exactly what they deserved. He also didn't give the opposition any meaningful hints about what was going on in camp. Seems pretty astute given he did it consistently.

Have to disagree with that. It's not what the media deserve either, without them Irish rugby would not be where it is today

That's ok. Our perceptions of the medias value are different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

when kidney first got the job he got the squad togeather, banged some heads, then had a great season, next season against the scots they started well then bod got a nice try, it looked all over bar the partying, then whatever happened the side they just lay down, since then it was a case of stuttering from one display? to the next, this new coach needs to rectify this, it will not be easy, then it never is,
    its like the joke about the kid in 1st year phycitary when asked to describe to following, he sits on a bench with his head in his hands, he then jumps up all excited jumping shouting an waving his hands, he then sits down muttering and mumbling to himself, after a while he jumps up and starts shouting and gestureing wildly, then he sits down again and the whole scene starts again, describe him to me asks the lecturer, the kid answers thats my basketball coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Its hard to say what's going to happen in the AIs because although Schmidt's a great coach he might not have had enough time with the players but I am optimistic we will win 1 or 2 out of 3.

I think the match against NZ will go down to the wire like the second test last summer with NZ maybe nicking it in the end. I fully expect the performance and team moral to exceed anything we seen under Kidney, a fresh start will rejuvenate the players and getting off to a good start in the AI's should help sustain that going into next years 6 nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I cant see him sticking to Kidney's old method of secure ball, kick for territory and hope for the best. I hope he'll try to establish running rugby style on the team from the outset and the last time I seen that with Ireland as a gameplan was in 2010/11 I think which led to a lot of mistakes from failed offloads in the tackle, and Kidney panicking and reverting to kidneyball which we have been stuck with ever since. Hopefully Joe and his team will be better able to oversee the transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

flutered wrote: »
    when kidney first got the job he got the squad togeather, banged some heads, then had a great season, next season against the scots they started well then bod got a nice try, it looked all over bar the partying, then whatever happened the side they just lay down, since then it was a case of stuttering from one display? to the next, this new coach needs to rectify this, it will not be easy, then it never is,
    its like the joke about the kid in 1st year phycitary when asked to describe to following, he sits on a bench with his head in his hands, he then jumps up all excited jumping shouting an waving his hands, he then sits down muttering and mumbling to himself, after a while he jumps up and starts shouting and gestureing wildly, then he sits down again and the whole scene starts again, describe him to me asks the lecturer, the kid answers thats my basketball coach.

what?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

My "Expectations Under Joe" ? Simple. A plan B. :P

Might I be correct in surmising your good self and BBDBB hail from the more southern parts of the Republic. Awfully defensive there. Schmidt is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned, I can't stand inane banal comments from coaches, not to mention the half-time "interviews" with players. Anyway this is getting off thread, but if Schmidt can explain his selections not just fudge it, I for one will be happier.

Don't think there was any need for that comment Swiwi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭phog

Like any lead up to a new season/competition I've a fresh hope of success and obviously with a new manager that has had so much success with Leinster then my hope is probably higher than usual.

It's not stretching it that we can win 2 from 3, I'd love 3 from 3 but I'm not sure we'd beat a competitive AB team.

For the 6Ns and at this moment in time I can't see us winning it, a Grand Slam would be great but I'm not that's easy either. BTW, I hope the Welsh game isn't somehow turned into a grudge game Ireland v The Welsh Lions.

Advertisement