Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

neris wrote: »
    It's true. Under some maritime thing in the regs checking vessels is permitted
    neris wrote: »
    This is what was told

any source for this - in the context of an extended travel restriction, I haven't seen my boat since October - on a swinging mooring (I Hope she still is!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

otterboy wrote: »
    any source for this - in the context of an extended travel restriction, I haven't seen my boat since October - on a swinging mooring (I Hope she still is!)

I was stopped a few weeks ago at a checkpoint, I told the Garda I was going to check my boat on the marina, and he waved me through, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

AC made for great watching this morning.

As much as I can't stand Spithill, you have to admire his chutzpah in the first race, both on the start line and getting Ineos done again for not taking their penalty properly the first time!

My heart was in my mouth to see if Ineos could hold on in the second race. Not sure I want them to actually win, but be nice to see the contest strung out for another few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    AC made for great watching this morning.

As much as I can't stand Spithill, you have to admire his chutzpah in the first race, both on the start line and getting Ineos done again for not taking their penalty properly the first time!

My heart was in my mouth to see if Ineos could hold on in the second race. Not sure I want them to actually win, but be nice to see the contest strung out for another few days!
    Tonight is the key night for competition, no less than 2 Ineos wins required to realistically keep this competition alive, if they pull that off then it will all be truly to race for in the final rounds.

Any idea on the forecast? anything less than 13 knots seems to favour the Italians as the speed builds from there it begins to favour the Brits!

• Advertisement

Haven't heard any forecast from the AC sources, but looking at Windy app it's looking ominously light. That's giving 7kts (but that won't account for local conditions, sea breeze etc).

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1116_PRADA-CUP-FINAL-DAY-4-MORNING-BRIEFING?fbclid=IwAR2Cmj48XhcOjJGd91imEQkIqbUgZ3kLoU7jmQyb-9fzMHoGOxDDiSeRzLA

"an afternoon of consistent and steady conditions on Course A."

9-14kts predicted - as it says in the article, right on the crossover between light (suiting LRPP) and heavier (suiting the Brits).

Will be interesting!

Well sionara Ineos Team UK, Luna Rosa Prada Pirelli clean swept the 2 races today to book their pot in the America's Cup final versus the Emrirate Team NZ Team kicking off on the Sat Mar 6th 2021, basicqlly same time, same bat channel, this time next week!

I am gonna stick out a limb and say that the Kiwi's retain the cup 7-0!

Yeah, it was a fairly easy, clean win in the end for LRPP.

Ben Ainsley's body language was a sight to behold, although who would blame him really!

I see all sorts of bitching online about how they basically cold-shouldered the LRPP team applauding them as they went in - haven't seen the end of the second race or the aftermath yet, but if that's true then they'll have taken a mighty tumble in my estimation. I was really impressed at the sportsmanship of the Americans in the same situation after they got knocked out, it gave me a lovely warm fuzzy feeling! :o

Didn't realise the AC was starting so soon, I thought for some reason it was much later in March - great news!

As for going for NZ 7-0...... oooh, I dunno!!! LRPP are very match-fit after the last month, surely that has to count for something? Especially in the starts (and at this stage you could nearly just run a start and half of the first leg and blow it up there and then).

Given that NZ haven't actually raced in anger since, when, Christmas or before, I'm fascinated to see how the first race pans out.....

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well sionara Ineos Team UK, Luna Rosa Prada Pirelli clean swept the 2 races today to book their pot in the America's Cup final versus the Emrirate Team NZ Team kicking off on the Sat Mar 6th 2021, basicqlly same time, same bat channel, this time next week!
    This time two weeks, no? :confused:

This time two weeks, no? :confused:

Aye 2 weeks time! My Bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Major Dad wrote: »

There's an rte documentary on 1 podcast about it aswell which is good

Oh wouldn't it be a glorious weekend to take the boat out and rinse off some of teh growth underneath.....

Oh wouldn't it be a glorious weekend to take the boat out and rinse off some of teh growth underneath.....

:(:(

Before we max out on the speed freak AC75’s over the next two weeks, take 20mins out to watch this great tribute to the 12m.

https://youtu.be/umywVEFDjHs

The 12m's are absolutely stunning.

I was in Newport, RI about 15 years ago for the Blind Sailing World Championships, hosted by the New York Yacht Club, and the same week of the blind sailing, there was a fairly big 12m regatta taking place, so each day we'd see about 25-30 12m's heading off to race for the day, and then returning.

Subsequently at the wrap party for the blind sailing, we all got absolutely sh1t faced at the NYYC clubhouse, and proceeded to drink a cocktail of wine & other spirits out of various trophies borrowed from one of the trophy cabinets...

What a location!!

546295.JPG

And of course, a customary photo of BoBandy drinking out of some trophy...... I don't think it's the America's Cup!!

546296.JPG

I was lucky enough to be in Fremantle for the 1986/1987 America’s Cup. In those days you would meet the sailors in the bars at night!! Even got out on the Committee Boat for the Challenger Trials (one of the OOD’s was from our club). Great fun.

We may have a contest in the AC it would seem, boat speed edge to the Kiwis maybe, but seems minimal. 1-1 End of Day 1

• Advertisement

Interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rather boring races, though.
    Whoever wins the start, wins the race with no lead change.

Thats why I have zero interest.

Win the start = win the race as long as you don't make any mistake like fall off the foil...

Lose the start, and you're hoping the other boat makes a mistake...

Yeah, they've just got too good at sailing those boats, no mistakes at all any more. The commentator at one stage mentioned seeing NZ out excecuting a perfect high-speed 360 on the foils. If they can do that, it's all over :rolleyes:

There was great jeopardy in the early days with them falling off the foils the whole time.

We need a good, shifty windy day to add a bit of life to it.

Or maybe Spithill will start to get frustrated and go a bit mad!

Thats why I have zero interest.

Pretty much the same here. Ive watched the youtube highlights a few times its as boring as hell. It so far removed from "the man on the street" type of sailing. They need to go back to proper boats and proper sails where skills are needed and mistakes can be made that win or loose races.

^ and mistakes can be recovered from..

In fact, I think I'll watch 'Wind' tonight!! (herself will be delighted).

"nobody put's 12m's in the corner..."

^ and mistakes can be recovered from..

In fact, I think I'll watch 'Wind' tonight!! (herself will be delighted).

"nobody put's 12m's in the corner..."

Is that available to stream anywhere (that doesn't involve money, preferably!)?

Not sure.. I 'ahem' downloaded it a few years back, and have it on a HD.. so I'll put it on a flash drive and plug it into teh tv tonight!!

I googled it last year and it showed up on a site for free and was able to cast it onto the tv from my phone. Google HDFY and see what you get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

The Italians were losing ground all the way to the finish after that ill judged lower mark rounding let NZ back in.
    The NZ helm of tactician slipped and fell in the first race, could have been a game changer.

Both boats were feeling the other out, the gloves haven't come off yet.

I think we're in for some excitement so I'll certainly stick with it.

Advertisement