Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Squib nationals are still going ahead from what I've heard.

Found this 40 year old gem recently..

Lab0v5q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Steve wrote: »
    Squib nationals are still going ahead from what I've heard.

Found this 40 year old gem recently..

Lab0v5q.jpg

Squibs this weekend and the J24s have a 3 day championship at start of September.

Are you out for the Isora race on Friday night?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    Are you out for the Isora race on Friday night?
    Would like to but we decided on only doing the coastals.

Paddleboarders in Galway found clinging to a lobster pot. Swimmer off Sutton/Baldoyle found clinging to a mooring buoy over the weekend

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0813/1158928-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Not the outcome I was expecting thankfully!
    Very lucky indeed.
    Is it just me thinks Paddle boards are a recipe for disaster in Irish waters outside of totally sheltered no tidal locations?
    They have virtually no power and extremely prone to wind or tide and users aren't big on basics like buoyancy jackets let alone Comms gear.
    Paddleboarders in Galway found clinging to a lobster pot. Swimmer off Sutton/Baldoyle found clinging to a mooring buoy over the weekend

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0813/1158928-galway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Daibheid wrote: »
    Not the outcome I was expecting thankfully!
    Very lucky indeed.
    Is it just me thinks Paddle boards are a recipe for disaster in Irish waters outside of totally sheltered no tidal locations?
    They have virtually no power and extremely prone to wind or tide and users aren't big on basics like buoyancy jackets let alone Comms gear.

Very relieved at the outcome, I thought they were gonners. Also impressed by the skill and knowledge of the lads who found them.

I see them out (actually would love to give them a try) but am also surprised by the lack of basic safety precautions. No anchor principally! I think there needs to be a code of practice issued by some governing body (ISA, Coasgguard, etc.) to inform new users about their personal responsibilities.

Malahide regatta next weekend becomes another victim of covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ferris wrote: »
    Very relieved at the outcome, I thought they were gonners. Also impressed by the skill and knowledge of the lads who found them.

I see them out (actually would love to give them a try) but am also surprised by the lack of basic safety precautions. No anchor principally! I think there needs to be a code of practice issued by some governing body (ISA, Coasgguard, etc.) to inform new users about their personal responsibilities.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rnli-dun-laoghaire-lifeboat-station/stand-up-paddleboarding-safety-advice-from-dun-laoghaire-rnli/10158465261039754/

Very good response to the incident put out on FB by Dun Laoghaire RNLI

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Looks good, kudos to DL RNLI. Personally I would have recommended anchors but everything else is sound advice. Maybe I’m being pedantic can get 1 or 2 kg anchors that would slow or stop a drifting paddle board or Kayak. I would also have a h/h VHF or a PLB if I was going out on a large body of water.

Ferris wrote: »
    Looks good, kudos to DL RNLI. Personally I would have recommended anchors but everything else is sound advice. Maybe I’m being pedantic can get 1 or 2 kg anchors that would slow or stop a drifting paddle board or Kayak. I would also have a h/h VHF or a PLB if I was going out on a large body of water.

I think the problem largely is that a lot of inexperienced people only expect to paddle close to shore, and shure what's the probem?? - it never even crosses their mind that they might drift or get blown miles away, so they don't even consider that sort of safety equipment.

Rather similar to the hundreds who have to be rescued on lilos and inflatable swans and the like from beaches all around here and the UK every year.

(These girls in Galway seem to have been very water-savvy, and well-experienced, so I'm not casting aspersions on them in any way - they seem to have done all the right things, tied themselves to their boards and each other, conserved energy, wearing PFDs - but it just goes to prove that the best of us can get caught out by the sea/weather)

• Advertisement

dI6ElmN.png

Glad I'm not there...

Steve wrote: »
    dI6ElmN.png

Glad I'm not there...
    3 of them still out there at 10am!

Was a long slow drift which wasn't helped by a heavy fog on Saturday morning.

Another one bites the dust, Laser nationals in Royal Cork have been cancelled now with the new restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 30 42inchchest

If you have a boat on a swinging mooring, would you take it in on an Orange warning? Debating whether to take it in or leave it out for Storm Ellen-its a bit of a spin down!

If you have a boat on a swinging mooring, would you take it in on an Orange warning? Debating whether to take it in or leave it out for Storm Ellen-its a bit of a spin down!

Where is the mooring?

All depends on how sheltered the location is, our boat survived all sorts of batterings in DL Harbour over the years.

https://www.windy.com/?2020-08-20-00,52.978,-6.240,7

Looks like it'll hit south coast late Wednesday, Irish sea on Thursday.

As Heidi said, depends on your location and if it's exposed in southerly winds. How big a boat? Power / sail? how easy to lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 42inchchest

Bantry Bay. I made the trip down - id only be stalking the weather threads all day tomorrow worrying about it. Ill take it out early tomorrow- its easy enough-16ft motor boat. Would have been easier to leave it in thoughðŸ˜. Just seems early for a big storm. If one comes at the end of September its an easy decision to take it out for winter. This early I would hope to put it back in and get another trip or two. ThanksðŸ‘

Rte news reporter on radio earlier saying 4 boats broke moorings down near cobh and damage done to the new marina

Bantry Bay. I made the trip down - id only be stalking the weather threads all day tomorrow worrying about it. Ill take it out early tomorrow- its easy enough-16ft motor boat. Would have been easier to leave it in though
    Part of owning a boat that's it's rather the rest option works.
    Down here that sort of weather is capable of doing damage even in sheltered locations. A 100mph gust if wind doesn't evaporate hitting land, Lee shores or harbour breakwaters and piers. Swells driven by deep depressions and huge winds build a momentum and frequency that will drive into the most sheltered spots and when you add in the current high tides, they'll penetrate even further. You probably have another option down there which is to move in to Bantrys marina for the duration.
    Also make sure you know what your mooring is made of and that it's all been checked. Even chain can be worn away in a few short years in that area.

• Advertisement

Heard Rescue116 flying low I over Dunmanus yesterday evening just as the barometer started to drop and visibility went with it as the rain came in. So figuring he wouldn't be heading south unless on a mission tuned in. Briefly someone triggered an EPIRB or a PLB in the Schull /Cape Clear / Baltimore area. A host of assets, RNLI, Schulls ,RIB, LE Samuel Beckett, Cape Ferry and R116 spent hours searching for the source. They motored up to boats, put parties on islands to check with campers, etc, etc. Stood down unsuccessful but fairly certain no one was in real difficultly.
    I think it had to be an EPIRB as R116 was trying to home in on it whereas a PLB transmits GPS.

Last week I was heading for Dursey across Bantry Bay and heard an exasperated Mizzen VHF operator pleading for whomever had the open mike for the last three hours to sort it. It's all a bit of a reminder to check our safety gear occasionally to ensure we're not causing problems and potentially inhibiting support or receipt of a genuine distress call. Stay safe folks - in all senses of the word.

I think they came to the conclusion that the epirb may have been inside a boat and dislodged from its holder. We were Isora racing off dublin weekend before last and Holyhead coastguard seemed to be constantly on the radio dealing with lifeboats and helicopter, one call included the coastguard person asking a mayday call not to use that language again on CH16, duno what was said but they were pretty firm in their tone

one call included the coastguard person asking a mayday call not to use that language again on CH16, duno what was said but they were pretty firm in their tone
    The UK Coastguard are rigid about radio abuse and will call out any misuse of channels, rambling conversations, etc on the emergency channels. They have to because of the sheer volume. A rebuke during a MayDay call strongly suggests some Muppet who'd run out of fuel on a calm day was bitching his free tow didn't arrive fast enough. I'm sure allowance would be made for someone in genuine distress.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

one call included the coastguard person asking a mayday call not to use that language again on CH16, duno what was said but they were pretty firm in their tone

I can only imagine the amount of 'amateurs' that the various coast guards have to deal with on VHF, whether it's in an actual Mayday situation, or just idiots blocking various channels.
    Last year we were in Dun Laoghaire, and all you could hear on CH16 was the lads fishing down around Dalkey Island asking "anyone gettin any mackerel out there?"

I can only imagine the amount of 'amateurs' that the various coast guards have to deal with on VHF, whether it's in an actual Mayday situation, or just idiots blocking various channels.
    Last year we were in Dun Laoghaire, and all you could hear on CH16 was the lads fishing down around Dalkey Island asking "anyone gettin any mackerel out there?"

had 2 of them on Saturday morning crossing the bay "are you bleedin talkin to me or wha", did also have one of the Stenas inbound telling a flotilla out of Howth to keep doing what they were doing and he,d a gap between them and was going through it at which stage half of them did a U turn. Though best one was years ago the aul one in the DBSC starters hut on a saturday afternoon loosing her rag because 2 boats were having a conversation on the channel they used for racing and she was adamant that the channel belonged to DBSC

had 2 of them on Saturday morning crossing the bay "are you bleedin talkin to me or wha", did also have one of the Stenas inbound telling a flotilla out of Howth to keep doing what they were doing and he,d a gap between them and was going through it at which stage half of them did a U turn. Though best one was years ago the aul one in the DBSC starters hut on a saturday afternoon loosing her rag because 2 boats were having a conversation on the channel they used for racing and she was adamant that the channel belonged to DBSC

You can reserve / own channels I thought. HYC used to have Ch45&46 for mark laying

I always understood it that a club could certainly use/designate a working channel for their racing/rescue/coordinating etc..... but it was never ownership of the channel in question.

I always understood it that a club could certainly use/designate a working channel for their racing/rescue/coordinating etc..... but it was never ownership of the channel in question.

I don’t know, I can remember them complaining about Stena using those channels for ship coms and it getting upheld.

At least Storm Ellen has blown the windex tails back around to a more normal position!! (They’d been sitting at 90 degrees for a few months now....) still a few degrees off though!

523997.jpeg

• Advertisement

Time to test out your vertigo Andy! :D

Advertisement