Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I hear the Gardai have being going around marinas checking number plates and asking for addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    I hear the Gardai have being going around marinas checking number plates and asking for addresses.

Bike it is so

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Good job I’m using my old car that’s still registered to my mothers address!! Which is within the 5km limit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I thinkink a spot of kayaking is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The kids and I got out in company with another Greystones boat yesterday evening, it was lumpy but fabulous!

• Advertisement

Boat launched today, 7 1/2 months after being lifted.
    Delighted.

Engine started on literally the 1st crank.
    Even more delighted.

Edit: why does Boards randomly rotate some photos 90 degrees???

sUDWbPs.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

That's a really nice boat AndyBoBandy.

How do you find the size? Could a couple comfortably sail her off down the coast for a week?

There's a similar Beneteau on donedeal at the moment. I'm tempted.... but not THAT tempted :D

Oh she’s more than adequate for a couple to cruise on,

Big enough aft cabin, smaller forward cabin (both would sleep 2 adults)

Mine is a First 285 and the one on Done Deal is a First 26, so slightly smaller. She’s also in Malahide, and I was talking to a guy today who said they’d only recently bought her, gave her a big renovation, and are selling her again. She was for sale for €10k for a while, but it looks like they put a lot more than the €2,000 into her, so that seems like a good price.

The guy I spoke to also has a 285, and went to the Isle of Man last year, and mine comfortably made the 400nm trip back from Portsmouth 2 years ago when I bought her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Delighted.

Even more delighted.
    Looking good!
    Boards image attachment software doesn't seem to understand that when you rotate your phone to take a pic that the rotation info is embedded in the image so shows it the wrong way round..
    Use https://imgur.com/upload -> top right -> get share BB links and post (you don't need an account)

I actually have an Imgur account, but sometimes it's just handy to upload straight from the phone, and then embed the image, but that's handy being able to input the URL into Imgur and rotate it.. without being signed in.

• Advertisement

Got out on the water for a few hours yesterday and it was blooming marvellous. A few out from Malahide, and a few out from Howth. Even the Commodore from Howth came over to say hello.

https://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/howth-yacht-club/item/46421-we-are-sailing-is-the-song-of-howth

Got out on the water for a few hours yesterday and it was blooming marvellous. A few out from Malahide, and a few out from Howth. Even the Commodore from Howth came over to say hello.

https://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/howth-yacht-club/item/46421-we-are-sailing-is-the-song-of-howth

Nixon sure does waffle some amount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭eagerv

My marina berth at Kilmore Quay unfortunately is unavailable to me as I live over 5km away. They are enforcing the rules (Rightly IMO). Access is by enabled phones for those berth holders within the immediate area, so I imagine the place is very quiet.

June 8th the limit extends to 20km, so I'd imagine from then on we'll see a lot more activity on the water.

Looking back through some sentry mode clips from my car this morning, I did see one of those new 'Garda cars' down in the carpark in Malahide last week, but they weren't checking cars or anything.

I was also talking to a guy in the yard last week who was travelling down daily from Drogheda to work on his boat, and had been stopped numerous times at checkpoints, and they were happy to let him (and his friend in the car with him) go on their way.

I live within 5 km of another Wexford Co Council Marina at New Ross. So will be allowed berth there until Kilmore Quay is available to me. Launching tomorrow hopefully from New Ross Boat Yard.
    I suppose I am lucky, at least I will be able to get out on boat even though New Ross is not a great place to keep a sail boat with the very strong tide flow on the river Barrow. I suppose a trip down to Dunmore East on the Ebb and back on the flood would be a nice day out.:)
    At least I have managed to get a lot of work done on the boat, new Beta diesel, Furlex and all new canvas gear in nice Tan colour..

Delighted.

Even more delighted.

sUDWbPs.jpg?1

Looks well. Is she the lift keel version with the twin rudders?
    Friends in Kilmore Quay have that version and they are very fond of it, with regular runs down to West Cork. Not the easiest though in reverse as I well know having a long keeler...:)

eagerv wrote: »
    New Ross is not a great place to keep a sail boat with the very strong tide flow on the river Barrow. I suppose a trip down to Dunmore East on the Ebb and back on the flood would be a nice day out.

To do that you need the swing bridge opened at Great Island don't you? Is that easy enough to get opened? eOceanic says the following;
    The Barrow Railway Bridge, with a clearance of about 7.9 metres above the high water mark, will need to be open to permit vessels carrying any draft to enter the river. The bridge will open for yachts heading to/from New Ross but requires advance notice (6-24 hours) and again when an hour away from the bridge. The bridge may be contacted by their mobile phone Mobile+353 (0)86 8167826.

What sort of tidal flow would you see on the Barrow? and would it be both ways?

I was planning a trip down to the Sunny South East (Kilmore Quay, Dunmore East, Waterford) at some stage this or next season, and could include New Ross into the itinirary for a night (didn't even know there was a marina there until seeing it featured on Nationwide a few weeks ago (bit about the new road bridge)).

Looks well. Is she the lift keel version with the twin rudders?
    Friends in Kilmore Quay have that version and they are very fond of it, with regular runs down to West Cork. Not the easiest though in reverse as I well know having a long keeler...:)

She’s the wing keel version, drawing 1.2M (which is ideal for me really in Malahide as the entrance is tidal. 2 hours either side of low water is my no go time).

Excuse the manky topsides, priority this month was below the waterline!!
    514233.jpeg

To do that you need the swing bridge opened at Great Island don't you? Is that easy enough to get opened? eOceanic says the following;

What sort of tidal flow would you see on the Barrow? and would it be both ways?

I was planning a trip down to the Sunny South East (Kilmore Quay, Dunmore East, Waterford) at some stage this or next season, and could include New Ross into the itinirary for a night (didn't even know there was a marina there until seeing it featured on Nationwide a few weeks ago (bit about the new road bridge)).

No problem with the swing bridge, just give them a phone call on 051 388137. I think they also use VHF. With no trains now between Wexford and Waterford I imagine it is open most of the time? I think it is still manned 24hrs/day.

The tidal flow is strong both ways, I saw 9kts on chartplotter when bringing my boat to new Ross last autumn. With my wonky old engine I was probably only doing 4 kts.:)

New Ross and Waterford are lovely places to visit, the rivers being particularly scenic, especially our lovely new road bridge...

Give me a shout if you are in the area...

Give me a shout if you are in the area...

Will do.

Some local knowledge would definitely be helpful.. would want to time the run up to the city from Dunmore East just right..

• Advertisement

She’s the wing keel version, drawing 1.2M (which is ideal for me really in Malahide as the entrance is tidal. 2 hours either side of low water is my no go time).

Excuse the manky topsides, priority this month was below the waterline!!
    514233.jpeg

Looks great, your bottom is cleaner than mine..:D
    A lot easier to handle than the twin rudder version, yet still not too draughty.

I really need to scrape my underwater area, there must be some weight of old antifouling on it. Next year I will have very little to do, so it can wait.

My friends with a similar boat to yours got new decals made up for the side cabin area and it has given the boat a great lift..

Will do.

Some local knowledge would definitely be helpful.. would want to time the run up to the city from Dunmore East just right..

Leave Dunmore East at an hour or two after local low water and you should arrive at New Ross or Waterford still on the flood but not strong enough to make berthing difficult. I don't know the area particularly well but both rivers are commercial ports, so buoyage is good. If I remember correctly high water at the two ports is about an hour later than Dunmore East.
    AIS makes life a lot easier, the few trips I have done on the rivers I have met a few large vessels. And always on the sharpest bends..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Just to set the record straight. Dunmore and Waterford are not in the Sunny South East, that's just across the river, WEXFORD. I love visiting Dunmore East and also Passage East. Unfortunately not by boat but even by land they're both lovely spots, just not in the Sunny South East. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Unfortunately not by boat but even by land they're both lovely spots, just not in the Sunny South East. :)

At least you sit and watch the sunny south east from both! :)

The Region

The Sunny South East of Ireland

The South East which consists of the five counties of Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford. Fondly referred to by the 'Irish' as the 'Sunny South East', the region is famous for its vibrant towns, rural getaways and coastal villages and resorts.

The landscape of the South East comprises a mix of rolling hills, woodlands and farmlands, picturesque river valleys of the Blackwater, Barrow, Nore, Suir and Slaney, and a craggy coastline adorned by a necklace of quaint fishing villages and coastal resorts.

And.

South-East Region, Ireland

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation Jump to search 220px-SE_Region_Ireland_2018.png

The South-East region of Ireland with each constituent county highlighted.

The Ireland South East Region (coded IE052)[1] is a NUTS Level III statistical region of Ireland. The region comprises the counties of Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford. Waterford City is the regional capital.[2] The South-East region spans 7,198 km2, 10.2% of the total area of the state and according to the 2016 census had a population of 422,062.
    Ireland South East has a diverse mix of history - key towns and cities such as Waterford and Wexford have Viking origins, while Kilkenny city grew around a Norman merchant town. In terms of landscape and geography, Ireland South East is home to Europe's longest beaches, a number of mountain ranges (such as the Comeraghs, the Blackstairs and the Galtees) and rivers (such as the Nore, the Suir and the Barrow). It also Ireland's sunniest region and is affectionately known as the "Sunny South East".

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

The South East region of Ireland comprises counties Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Tipperary. They all started using the Wexford slogan when Bord Fáilte split into regional areas and grouped counties together. The phrase "The Sunny South East" was the brainchild of the late Billy Kelly of Kellys Hotel Rosslare, grandfather of the present owner also called Billy. A group of businessmen were looking for ways to attract more tourists to the area And Mr Kelly came up with his now famous slogan. According to Met Eireann Carnsore point, which in Wexford and is the South East tip of the country, on average has more hours of sunshine per year than any other part of the country. All the above counties are in the South East but only one, Wexford, is The Sunny South East.:p:):)

I'll tell all that to my brother-in-Law, he's from Waterford... so It'll wind him up as he always says Sunny south East!!

They live in Crooke, beside Passage East, hence me wanting to make it down that way for a cruise.

Dublin southbound is grand as far as Arklow, with perhaps a stop in Greystones, but from Arklow down to Kilmore Quay is a bit of a stretch, but timed right, I could run down on most of the ebb down as far as Carnsore Point and then turn the corner and push into it as far as Kilmore quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

All the above counties are in the South East but only one, Wexford, is The Sunny South East.:p:):)

The Laois / Kilkenny border used to have 'Welcome to the Sunny South East' signs on the main roads coming down from Durrow and Athy coming into Kilkenny. Not sure if it still does. I think for tourism purposes it's all part of 'Ireland's Ancient East' branding now.

Local kids used to always draw rain clouds onto the signs.

I'll tell all that to my brother-in-Law, he's from Waterford... so It'll wind him up as he always says Sunny south East!!

They live in Crooke, beside Passage East, hence me wanting to make it down that way for a cruise.

Dublin southbound is grand as far as Arklow, with perhaps a stop in Greystones, but from Arklow down to Kilmore Quay is a bit of a stretch, but timed right, I could run down on most of the ebb down as far as Carnsore Point and then turn the corner and push into it as far as Kilmore quay.

Another alternative would be my old haunt Wexford. After 6 hrs of south running tide it would be 3 hours before local high water at Wexford. Just nice for entering the bar which is buoyed by the County HM who also looks after the two marinas.
    Or anchor in Rosslare bay if settled weather.

• Advertisement

youd easily do greystones or arklow to kilmore in one go. Longish day but doable

Advertisement