Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »
    Was digging through a box of old stuff and found these..

7f7Gz2_thumb.jpg

Happy days :D

I had to turn my laptop upsidedown to see what they were!

Are they coasters? Mouse mats? Magazines?

Why only 3 years? Where's the rest of them?

We need to know!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sorry HH, blame Steve Jobs for that...

Nothing sinister, just rooting in a box from the attic..

Found this as well - the event myself and Juke met all those years ago..

/wipes tear from eye..

7qhuvP_thumb.jpg

Sorry HH, blame Steve Jobs for that...

Nothing sinister, just rooting in a box from the attic..

Found this as well - the event myself and Juke met all those years ago..

/wipes tear from eye..

7qhuvP_thumb.jpg
    Only had to tip it sideways to view that one :D

You're on a right nostalgia trip tonight!!!

I used to hang onto stuff like that until I couldn't fit into my spare room any more, so ditched it all (and ruthlessly ditch all such stuff at the time now). Now I wish I hadn't!

(and who's Juke???)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Only had to tip it sideways to view that one :D

You're on a right nostalgia trip tonight!!!

I used to hang onto stuff like that until I couldn't fit into my spare room any more, so ditched it all (and ruthlessly ditch all such stuff at the time now). Now I wish I hadn't!

he throws out nothing
    (and who's Juke???)
    Waves o/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

(and who's Juke???)
    She does strings on the boat... good at it too :D

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    he throws out nothing

Waves o/

Howya :D

Nice to meet you!

She does strings on the boat... good at it too :D

Ah, my favourite job of all.

If she ever takes a day off and you need a sub, you know where I am :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

(and who's Juke???)

Definitely his better half :D

I'd never have taken you for a hoarder Steve. for SHAME!

I'm not really - I used to be... *embarrassed*

It's cool to find stuff from 20 years ago and reminisce though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Some day I might show you all my rather publicized entry to the sport :P

• Advertisement

Some day I might show you all my rather publicized entry to the sport :P

That's worth a forum beers if anything!! :D

Lol, I may over-hype my own publicity. Sure twas only 2 publications with a picture of me "sailing" :P

Let's arrange an on-the-water beers?

Who has a boat we can all fit on?

I'll bring the boat.. as long as we stay under 12 then we're legal...

I'm in. Bagsy a spot.

That's a great call!

I can offer our boat, as long as you're all prepared to paddle if (when) the outboard gives up :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'll bring the boat.. as long as we stay under 12 then we're legal...

Same here :D

1956890_10200959334263935_896361281546788741_o.jpg

I want a spin in Fergal's little beauty!

(any of them :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

And the abundance of free beer didn't help either for us on the Greystones regatta results...

Missed the start of the first race (Cruisers2) as there was huge confusion around it (they discontinued to call out the minutes after the first class)

Was a good weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We found the large mark being dragged by the rib quite confusing, it seems to be the one we would spot first, the rib was difficult to see at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

That was actually funny, chasing the weather mark to round it... and it wasnt even the mark you should have gone around..

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Yes, we were out in the DBSC on Saturday and Greystones on Sunday, Saturday was very heavy going and we were short of crew. Sunday started off nice and light 7 to 12knts, the wind started coming while we were waiting for the 2nd race was in the 15 to 27 knot range. Keeping the rudder in the water in heavy airs was hard going.

Congrats to HeidiHeidi for 1st in Class in Greystones.

Now now, less of the false modesty - I seem to remember you guys up there collecting glassware as well :D Anyway, we only got a makey-uppey prize, you actually DID win your class!

I know this is a pics thread - but I haven't a single photograph from the weekend to post, as we were all too busy hanging on for dear life, especially in that second race - FAR more wind than either we or our poor boat would ever wish for! (Actually, I do have a couple of pics - of us on land looking like we've been through a washing machine and then plugged into an electric socket, gratefully clutching glasses of (free, very nice, thanks GSC!) wine and thanking the Lord we made it ashore in one piece, even if the boat didn't :D. But I'll spare you those!)

We copped the buoy-behind-the-rib early on, so never went chasing that (although it was a serious distraction) - our problem was finding the bloody wing-mark, which (in addition to dragging all over the place along with the windward mark) was about the size of a tennis ball, in big lumpy wavy sea, and was never to leeward of the windward mark. I think it could be described as having been a "challenging" day for the course setters!

But what a fantastic weekend :D

ahun wrote: »
    And the abundance of free beer didn't help either for us on the Greystones regatta results...

Missed the start of the first race (Cruisers2) as there was huge confusion around it (they discontinued to call out the minutes after the first class)

Was a good weekend though.

We pitched up in the middle of the white sails start, despite having diligently read the SIs BEFORE having any drink the day before - was 100% sure we were the second, not the 3rd start :eek: I don't think the tide did anyone any favours who was a bit late coming to the line - there was certainly never any fear of any OCSs :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Posts move by request from "weekend photos" to where they should have been in the first place :pac:

Carry on, I bet you all start posting photos here now :roll eyes: :D

fergal.b wrote: »
    Posts move by request from "weekend photos" to where they should have been in the first place :pac:

Carry on, I bet you all start posting photos here now :roll eyes: :D

You forgot Vexorg's first post, which kicked off the whole thing - doesn't make a whole lot of sense without that one :D

We promise we'll behave ourselves better in future. Honestly.

*hunts furiously for a photo, any photo, to post just to annoy The Mod :D:D*

You forgot Vexorg's first post, which kicked off the whole thing - doesn't make a whole lot of sense without that one :D

Vexorg's post had a visual description so that can stay :p

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks Fergal.

I have a pic of the boat leaving Greystones marina, but dont have the nerve to post it!

Anyone want a laugh?

Let's play "Spot the very young miss no stars"....

If someone's really on the ball, they might even see spot what's a bit odd about my presence in the article in the images...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

That was a great read. I spent the last 2 summers instructing in Sutton; barbeques at Red Rock are still a regular thing for trainees and instructors alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Let's play "Spot the very young miss no stars"......
    fergal.b wrote: »
    Posts move by request from "weekend photos" to where they should have been in the first place …..Carry on, I bet you all start posting photos here now :roll eyes: .

Hmmmmmm.
    Very young in 1992? Makes me feel right ancient that does!

Here's one from my youth. Those familiar with DL will note some differences – note where Sealink is alongside, the absence of clutter in front of the George, no apartment buildings, and quite a different seafront!

Map link to help!

• Advertisement

1992? It was 1999!

Advertisement